Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

An Actual Bear posted:

As a silly foreigner with little to no knowledge of US TV, what kind of show is Breaking Bad? Is it a comedy or more of a crime drama? I've heard literally no bad things about it so I may have to check it out.

It's basically like watching a fatal car crash that you can't look away from. But...in a good way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

maxnmona posted:

It's basically like watching a fatal car crash that you can't look away from. But...in a good way?

I'm about done with the second season by now, but I'm continually impressed at the cinematography. Nearly every cold open is a piece of art in and of itself (my current favorite is the Mariachi band singing a song about Heisenberg and recapping his status among the drug cartels) - SPOILERED since we have people who are earlier in the show.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Tewratomeh posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow Fishing With John slipped under my radar onto streaming a few days ago. It's a faux-documentary series where John Lurie (musician and Jim Jarmusch actor) goes on fishing expeditions with random celebrity guests, and things get a little odd. Watch it if you like really surreal, downbeat humor and/or Jim Jarmusch.

Check it out.

Quoting this to make sure other peeps are exposed to this masterpiece.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

An Actual Bear posted:

Sounds like something I could very easily enjoy. Now to see if there's a way to legally view it in the UK... :sigh:

It's on UK Netflix as far as I know :)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Breaking Bad is one of those shows, like The Sopranos, where if you have seen it you will rip your hair out if you meet someone that hasn't.

Not, like, OBSESSIVE fans, like Futurama or The Wire, but more of a "you haven't seen STAR WARS" kind of "holy poo poo, have you been living in a cave?" kinda things.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

vivisectvnv posted:

Quoting this to make sure other peeps are exposed to this masterpiece.

The Dennis Hopper episodes are simply loving magical.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Breaking Bad is one of those shows, like The Sopranos, where if you have seen it you will rip your hair out if you meet someone that hasn't.

Not, like, OBSESSIVE fans, like Futurama or The Wire, but more of a "you haven't seen STAR WARS" kind of "holy poo poo, have you been living in a cave?" kinda things.

I guess I will go watch Breaking Bad right now because we don't want you lose anymore of your pretty little hair now do we?

In all honesty, it is one of those shows I have been meaning to watch since season one and have just never sat down to ever do it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SoleilEquil posted:

I guess I will go watch Breaking Bad right now because we don't want you lose anymore of your pretty little hair now do we?

I am balder than Heisenberg.

:argh: because of you people.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

I am balder than Heisenberg.

:argh: because of you people.

I feel like I am to blame for this...would Rogaine help? At all? I'll go watch it right now! I swear!

--- Forgot I let Netflix subscription lapse for a few days while I was on vacation...I'll watch it right after I re-activate it! They are taking my money now!

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.
Breaking Bad does what I think Sopranos wanted to do at times. It shows how morals can be eroded over time and how easy it is to become "criminal".

Much like The Wire shows how institutions destroy the individual, Breaking Bad shows how society fails to support the individual. What happens when an average person is faced with the loss of everything? The only recourse against the injustices of society is to remove yourself from society - become a criminal.

Anyway, great writing, great acting, great directing, do watch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Becoming a criminal wasn't his only choice

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

SoleilEquil posted:

In all honesty, it is one of those shows I have been meaning to watch since season one and have just never sat down to ever do it.

I didn't start watching till the season 2 disc came out in 2010 or something and happily remain a year behind. Just tell the people that are current to gently caress off and enjoy binging through 2 episodes back to back at your leisure with no commercials!

The pilot is hilarious and gruesome but still hilarious.

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.

Mu Zeta posted:

Becoming a criminal wasn't his only choice
That's what makes the show interesting.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

I watched the first season of Sopranos, didn't like it at all, and never watched it again.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
When Sopranos is good, it's brilliant. But its just rarely good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The weird part about the Sopranos pilot was the mid-episode change of the entire show structure....it went from Tony doing somewhat funny voice over narration to flashback events as he talked with Melfi to the structure it would keep throughout the rest of the show. You really notice it when listening to the commentary version where Chase lays it out as "this wasn't working."

Oh and the way Meadow and AJ looked as kids. LOL. Since the second episode was literally 18 months later the kids look way different and Gandolfini had gained 60 lbs.

HMMPH, not on streaming anymore. gently caress you HBO. Oh wait, I guess it never was.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 24, 2012

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Breaking Bad has better writing and direction and is vastly better acted than the Sopranos was.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The ending of the Sopranos was fantastic though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

matrocious posted:

vastly better acted than the Sopranos was.

Are you talking about the leads or just in general?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

penismightier posted:

Are you talking about the leads or just in general?

It was a brilliant piece of editing. I've never even seen the Sopranos and I'm in awe of that final scene.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I watched the first four episodes of The Sopranos years ago and felt like it was the same premise I had seen a million times before and quit watching.

But then again, I did the exact same thing with The Wire and boy did that turn out to be a poor assumption on my part.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kuddles posted:

I watched the first four episodes of The Sopranos years ago and felt like it was the same premise I had seen a million times before and quit watching.

But then again, I did the exact same thing with The Wire and boy did that turn out to be a poor assumption on my part.

The Sopranos is consistently amazing from s02e01 onward.

There's a reason it completely swept the Emmys every. single. year.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

maxnmona posted:

I watched the first season of Sopranos, didn't like it at all, and never watched it again.

yeah the first season kind of sucks iirc and the pilot was very dopey

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There's a reason it completely swept the Emmys every. single. year.

Yep, it's called Edie Falco.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This is literally the first place I have ever seen Season 1 of the Sopranos talked about like it's bad TV. You are all insane.

Breaking Bad is excellent, but it isn't as good as the Sopranos, or The Wire.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ishamael posted:

Breaking Bad is excellent, but it isn't as good as the Sopranos

Thems fightin' words.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ishamael posted:

This is literally the first place I have ever seen Season 1 of the Sopranos talked about like it's bad TV. You are all insane.

Breaking Bad is excellent, but it isn't as good as the Sopranos, or The Wire.

Granted, I haven't seen Sopranos since college, but I remember likeing s2 a whole lot more.
And Breaking Bad is a better show, yea.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Danger posted:

Granted, I haven't seen Sopranos since college, but I remember likeing s2 a whole lot more.
And Breaking Bad is a better show, yea.

A friend of mine used to watch the Sopranos a lot and I ended up watching the first three seasons at his place. At first I was into it, but it just starts feeling repetitive and the only time I felt interested was when a main character would get killed. By the time I decided to stop watching, I'd be falling asleep during episodes.

I was going to pick up where I left off on Dexter, but it's not on Netflix anymore, so I might give this Breaking Bad show a try.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Netflix reported their stocks after the market closed today. Doesn't look to hot on the after hours market. Down over 15%, curious to what tomorrow brings.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=netflix

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Ishamael posted:

The Sopranos is a lot like Star Trek: TNG in that regard. While early Sopranos isn't bad, it's definitely hit and miss and the show took a while to really find its footing.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
It's probably been up for awhile, but Highlander: The Series is a pretty underrated sci-fi/fantasy gem. I really have no taste for the movies, but Adrian Paul is a solid lead and the show did an admirable job delving into the mythology of the premise. It doesn't start well and doesn't end well, but there's a nice stretch where you can't quite believe a syndicated television series got this good.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm trying to find my disc for Magnolia, but as a back up I'm looking at Dakota Skye, which popped up in my netflix recommendations. Whats the goon consensus / comparison movies?

edit; nevermind dudes, this poo poo sucks. Thank god I found Magnolia because I can't sit through any more of this... It's like a teenage angst lifetime movie.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 25, 2012

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

HMMPH, not on streaming anymore. gently caress you HBO. Oh wait, I guess it never was.

If you are an HBO subscriber, all the Sopranos episodes, as well as every other HBO show and a bunch of movies, are available on HBOGO.com for streaming, for no extra charge other than being a subscriber.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just watched season four of Breaking Bad and lost my loving poo poo at the final scene. I didn't believe everyone when they said it just gets better but Jesus Christ, every season tops the last.

Something I genuinely loved about this season too was that for much of the duration we see Walter White losing control, making very stupid decisions (trying to turn Mike against Gus, coming up with a plan to kill Gus that would have immediately gotten him murdered, generally getting poo poo on) and in the end it comes back around to "No, Walt really is the smartest character on the show, and he's drat well not going to lose Jesse even if he has to poison a loving child to do it." I also loved the foreshadowing where Not even the head of the cartel was going to execute Gus when he was a lowly drug pusher in Mexico, let alone in present day, and we have no idea why this would be a very bad move. But then Walt goes and blows half his face off. I haven't seen the first few episodes of season five but I assume bad poo poo is coming down the pipeline.

Season four also did what no other season could: made Skyler passably likable. Maybe it's greatest triumph.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Skylar owns. Season 4 shows why they married in the first place, she's just not as much of a misanthrope as Walt.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Huh, I'm almost at the end of season 2 and I don't mind Skyler at all. :confused:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

Huh, I'm almost at the end of season 2 and I don't mind Skyler at all. :confused:

For the sake of your sanity, never read old Breaking Bad threads.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm aware of the massive amounts of hatred directed at her and it's really confusing to me because she's not an unlikable character in the slightest.

I mean, look at things from her perspective: her husband may have cancer, but he's also doing crazy poo poo and more or less ignoring her. She has every right to be kind of angry at him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think it's because Walt, while being a shady cancer-having prick, never cheated, never strayed, and (as we know) did it all for his family. When she finds out something's up with him she proceeds to revenge-gently caress the douchiest guy in the world.

EDIT: Sorry :ohdear:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I don't know the name of the actor who plays Ted, but he shows up in tons of tv shows and his character is always a slimy rich douchebag. Like, as soon as I see his face I know smug rich doucheness is imminent.

• Locked thread