Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

Thanks for the links, I was making good progress until I got to step 3 of the Clockwork Recovery mod method down there at the bottom. For some reason the phone wasn't booting into Clockwork mod, but instead the default Motorola boot menu? I didn't realize it until I had already reset the phone to factory default (Step 5), and by then the boot agent wouldn't load Cyanogen mod. Now my ADB won't recognize the device when I plug it in. Is Clockwork Recovery still installed on the phone or did I wipe it? How can I start over if ADB won't recognize it?

The Cliq XT, oddly enough, looks like it's one of the few Moto devices that you can completely replace the stock recovery:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Cliq_XT:_Full_Update_Guide

CWM apparently was never installed on your phone because it was rebooting into stock recovery. Something may not worked properly in the rooting process, else ROM Manager would have been able to flash in the new custom recovery image.

In order to completely restore your phone, you'll need RSD Lite (current version is 5.7) and a system SBF file. SBF files are essentially complete stock system images that'll restore you from almost any brick situation.

It appears that there's 1 source left for SBF files for your phone, but their site is under maintenance. Keep an eye on it in case it comes back up:

http://modmymobile.com/forums/561-motorola-cliq-xt-general/530321-cliq-xt-quench-firmwares-superthread.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

ninmeister posted:

I was just reading about this.. I have to assume its based somewhat on ICS still since there are no Jelly Bean sources for it yet? I'm still tempted to give it a shot.

I would imagine so, but drat is it really loving nice.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

I Dont Like You posted:

I would imagine so, but drat is it really loving nice.

I couldn't help myself and just flashed it. You are correct, it really is loving nice! The smoothness is pretty surprising.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Trying to get bugless beast to boot on my verizon gnex and im having some trouble.

I was running another JB version that decided to stop booting, so went back to 4.0.4 stock. Reflashed CWM, flashed Bugless, and its endlessly at the new nexus boot animation.

I have no idea what kernel I flashed (Whatever was recommended.)

Now, I used the toolkit to download, and reflash 4.0.4 then did the above to go to bb.

Any ideas? Im loving confused at this point.

Edit: tuna-jb-kernel-019b6.zip Was the kernel i used. Any suggestions? I'm thinking thats my fix.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 24, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Trying to get bugless beast to boot on my verizon gnex and im having some trouble.

I was running another JB version that decided to stop booting, so went back to 4.0.4 stock. Reflashed CWM, flashed Bugless, and its endlessly at the new nexus boot animation.

I have no idea what kernel I flashed (Whatever was recommended.)

Now, I used the toolkit to download, and reflash 4.0.4 then did the above to go to bb.

Any ideas? Im loving confused at this point.

Edit: tuna-jb-kernel-019b6.zip Was the kernel i used. Any suggestions? I'm thinking thats my fix.
You want a kernel package that starts with "toro". Tuna is another device (one of the Nexus S variants?).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penguissimo posted:

You want a kernel package that starts with "toro". Tuna is another device (one of the Nexus S variants?).

I guess I should pay more attention, Its odd, it worked fine for a while then poof, it stopped.

Any recommendations? Id rather not have to gently caress with this again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

I guess I should pay more attention, Its odd, it worked fine for a while then poof, it stopped.

Any recommendations? Id rather not have to gently caress with this again.

Honestly I'd just stick with the stock kernel at first (the BB package includes one). If you find it lacking in some way, both FrancoKernel and LeanKernel (by imyoseon) seem to be popular.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penguissimo posted:

Honestly I'd just stick with the stock kernel at first (the BB package includes one). If you find it lacking in some way, both FrancoKernel and LeanKernel (by imyoseon) seem to be popular.

BB isnt flashing the kernel then. Because it still says "tuna" at fastboot and BB wont boot.

Weird enough, If i reflash 404 again it boots right up. I cant figure out what the gently caress.

Is there a zip somewhere Im missing that I can just flash the stock kernel back to "be sure"?

EDIT: Found a "stock 404" kernel. Cross fingers for me.

Edit2: Well, It appears to work! Heres to hoping it stays working

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 24, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: There was a long post here about the state of Android but now it's edited to just let people know that Andramadus Mimicry has been updated for the HTC Vision.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 24, 2012

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

mushi posted:

edit: welp, got heimdall working and now my phone thinks it's from Europe and isn't getting a cell signal but at least it's booting. Confident I can figure out how to get root back and figure something out, but gotta leave for the night. Ah well.
OOkkkey, I might need some help here, or maybe just confirmation that I may have jumped in over my head. So basically, after installing a custom rom using Heimdall, I installed Gingerbread XXJVZ on my Vibrant, making it think it was a GTI9000.

The software worked fine, except I didn't have a cell connection. I'm assuming because my phone thought it was a european or korean model or something. Anyway, I was pretty sure I could root it again to try and go back to my stock rom which I had backed up. One problem I'm having from this point forward is that holding down both volume up and down and powering on does not put the phone into download mode.

Next step, I tried various things to get to root, but the Super One Click Root didn't work, and now I tried the GalaxyS One Click Root. This worked to get the phone to reboot into Android System Recovery console on boot. The problem is that the directions said "scroll down until 'reinstall packages' is highlighted and select that option" and there is no "reinstall packages" option.

To make matters worse, up on the volume key makes the selection go down, the down key makes selections move up, and the power button is doing exactly jack poo poo. I can't get it to cycle out, boot, or do anything except power on to the Android System Recovery. Holding down the volume up and down keys still does not get it into download mode.

How the hell do I get myself into something where I can make some changes? Is there a different way to get into download mode or something I can try in the system recovery?

Here's the output I see on the phone:

code:
Android system recovery <3e>
Enter: OK key, Select : Vol UP / Vol Down
reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
------------------------

[bunch of whitespace]

-- Copying media files...
Successfully copied meida files.

# MANUAL MODE #

-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Installing Multi-CSC
Applied the CSC-code 'KOR'
Succesfully applied multi-CSC.
I can cycle between the menu selections between 'reboot system now' and 'wipe cache partition' but I can't actually select anything because the power button is doing jack poo poo, except cycle when I hold it down long enough.

edit: the leftmost "option" key on my phone toggles the text display on and off, with a caution sign plus cute green robot in the background, if that gives any clues

Any ideas?

mushi fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 24, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You flashed an i9000 rom on your Vibrant. What will fix it is a reoriented kernel or an actual Vibrant firmware. You need to flash one of these with Heimdall, because I assume you do not have a rooted recovery.

Download mode can be achieved by turning off the phone, holding volume down (up?) and inserting a USB cable that's plugged into your computer.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

EbolaIvory posted:

BB isnt flashing the kernel then. Because it still says "tuna" at fastboot and BB wont boot.

Weird enough, If i reflash 404 again it boots right up. I cant figure out what the gently caress.

Is there a zip somewhere Im missing that I can just flash the stock kernel back to "be sure"?

EDIT: Found a "stock 404" kernel. Cross fingers for me.

Edit2: Well, It appears to work! Heres to hoping it stays working

That's really odd. His ROM includes his own kernel so I'm not sure why it would still report as tuna. Honestly, his kernel with his ROM is a pretty kicking rad package. I never felt like I needed to change. But along those same lines, I'm of the opinion that the stock kernel is awesome too. So there's that.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003

nimper posted:

You flashed an i9000 rom on your Vibrant. What will fix it is a reoriented kernel or an actual Vibrant firmware. You need to flash one of these with Heimdall, because I assume you do not have a rooted recovery.

Download mode can be achieved by turning off the phone, holding volume down (up?) and inserting a USB cable that's plugged into your computer.

I tried that method of achieving download mode, to no avail. Is there an alternate method that works in forcing the phone into download mode?

edit: vvvv thanks, I just saw the jigs on ebay. I'll try the ADB method.

mushi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 24, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mushi posted:

I tried that method of achieving download mode, to no avail. Is there an alternate method that works in forcing the phone into download mode?

Try holding both volume buttons in at the same time and repeating the process.

If this doesn't work, you have two other options:

1. Set up ADB on your computer. When that is done and the phone shows up, type "adb reboot download" and it may work.

2. Purchase a download mode "jig" on eBay or Amazon. These are inexpensive. What they do is put a specific resistance load through the USB port that the phone's motherboard will recognize, sending you to download mode. You could also make your own as the instructions are easily searchable and the parts are easy to acquire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone aware of any solid/feature-complete, unmodified stock roms for toroplus? Or does everyone have to stick me with the job of having to go hunt down the default boot animation and throw that on there instead of the stupid-rear end ACS logo or whatever some other asswipe thinks looks cool?

I thought I saw one (well, 'Toroplus nightly kangs') and then noticed people were saying that going into the settings was crashing their phone, and that their photos weren't syncing with G+.

That wasn't at the beginning of the thread, that was on the last page.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

The Entire Universe posted:

Anyone aware of any solid/feature-complete, unmodified stock roms for toroplus? Or does everyone have to stick me with the job of having to go hunt down the default boot animation and throw that on there instead of the stupid-rear end ACS logo or whatever some other asswipe thinks looks cool?

I thought I saw one (well, 'Toroplus nightly kangs') and then noticed people were saying that going into the settings was crashing their phone, and that their photos weren't syncing with G+.

I'm trying out Robert Burns latest build of CM10 for toroplus from.. Sunday I believe (available in Rom Manager under burnsra). So far everything works, though I don't sync photos on G+ to test that. Not sure about plain ol' AOSP though.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I rooted my GSM JB Galaxy Nexus the other day using Wug's 1-click unlock+root program. I lost data connectivity and it wasn't coming back, so I restored stock and lock.

Is this a known issue? Any idea on how to fix it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dedian posted:

I'm trying out Robert Burns latest build of CM10 for toroplus from.. Sunday I believe (available in Rom Manager under burnsra). So far everything works, though I don't sync photos on G+ to test that. Not sure about plain ol' AOSP though.

Does it break NFC? That's another big concern of mine. I could probably do without the G+ sync for a bit, but if it fucks up NFC that's a straight deal breaker. The vending machines at work take NFC and cards, but not MasterCard due to some weird processing fee increase. None of my cards are Visa/Amex/Disc so I either carry Scrooge style bags of change or use NFC to get my bottled water.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Does it break NFC? That's another big concern of mine. I could probably do without the G+ sync for a bit, but if it fucks up NFC that's a straight deal breaker. The vending machines at work take NFC and cards, but not MasterCard due to some weird processing fee increase. None of my cards are Visa/Amex/Disc so I either carry Scrooge style bags of change or use NFC to get my bottled water.

Oh shoot, didn't think of that (nor do I have anything to test it with... I think? I'll check to see if I do), but his G+ post announcing the test build, and what works, does list NFC. (https://plus.google.com/u/0/113368286353727502996/posts/85H5YH5oEyN)

Edit: just to follow up, once I got home I was able to use Beam to transfer a YouTube video over to the phone. Additionally, Team EOS claims to be a plain AOSP rom without the CM10 porting stuff going on.

dedian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2012

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

To anyone else rocking a Nexus S 4G and wanting JB now, I've been running this since it was uploaded last night with absolutely no problems. Absolutely love the transition animations and whatnot. Been running it with the JB build of the Air-Kernel (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1469842), and all is well. Only thing I've noticed so far is that if you are using NSTools to control governor and etc, the option to change governors is grayed out unless you reboot into recovery, go under Advanced options, and use the fix permissions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rotaryfun posted:

That's really odd. His ROM includes his own kernel so I'm not sure why it would still report as tuna. Honestly, his kernel with his ROM is a pretty kicking rad package. I never felt like I needed to change. But along those same lines, I'm of the opinion that the stock kernel is awesome too. So there's that.

Still reports as tuna.

It works. Sort of. Its stable as hell once I get it to boot. But I'll have to battery pull 3-5 times to get a boot. Sometimes 10 times.

I'm happy enough I tool around with it during the day. But my RAZR is in my other pocket just in case.

gently caress me jb is fast though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

EbolaIvory posted:

Still reports as tuna.

It works. Sort of. Its stable as hell once I get it to boot. But I'll have to battery pull 3-5 times to get a boot. Sometimes 10 times.

I'm happy enough I tool around with it during the day. But my RAZR is in my other pocket just in case.

gently caress me jb is fast though.

Have you found his kernel online anywhere?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I rooted my GSM JB Galaxy Nexus the other day using Wug's 1-click unlock+root program. I lost data connectivity and it wasn't coming back, so I restored stock and lock.

Is this a known issue? Any idea on how to fix it?

Double check that you selected the right model. I imagine if you accidentally told it you had the CDMA version, your data would be wrecked.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

For us Vision holdouts, a new version of Mimicry landed and it's noticeably snappier! Highly recommended.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
Why does Android market insist on updating apps that I know I have already updated? After updating certain apps several times, they still insist on coming back as being listed as needing the same updates. This problem has persisted through AOKP roms on ICS and JB roms. Is this a problem that all ROMs have, or just Android Market being stupid?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Hey all, I'm new to this thread, but I've been rooting a friend's Android models for him right after he gets them, and he passes the down to me after he upgrades.

I just put AOKP on my spare G2 (from here upgrading from Cyanogen 7.1. I am going to give it a try as my phone, we'll see how I like it. So far, only using WiFi due to having my sim card in my usual G2, and G+ and Gmail crash right after startup pretty reliably. It's the best-sounding ICS ROM for the G2 in my opinion, so I hope it works well enough to keep.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749675

The only issues I am aware of on this rom is that if you try to go the about phone -> Sprint updates page to update your PRL and Profile, settings with force close. Everything else seems like it works correctly.

It doesn't have the ACS logo on boot for me.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Best daily driver for EVO3D?

Pref with ICS, since the current busted ROM I'm using has it. But the fucker keeps rebooting, and the proximity sensor is jacked up and I keep hanging up on folks with my copious jowls. Currently using ZR3DX 2.0.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

godzirraRAWR posted:

Pref with ICS, since the current busted ROM I'm using has it. But the fucker keeps rebooting, and the proximity sensor is jacked up and I keep hanging up on folks with my copious jowls. Currently using ZR3DX 2.0.

I've been using CM9 Devil Toast since version 0.1, and its been fantastic. The only thing that's not currently working (as far as I know) is 3D.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703070

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

godzirraRAWR posted:

The Sense ICS ROMs are pretty good these days due to the leaked Virgin Mobile ROM. A friend of mine's running MeanROM and says everything works.

I'll have to have him try that CM9. Sense 3.6 and 4.0 aren't nearly as bad as older versions were, but I still think AOSP is the best choice.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I finally rooted AOKP Jellybean on my Galaxy S III and I can say it's a game changer. In my opinion it's a perfect user experience. It's butter smooth and so responsive.

Google Now is one of the best ideas I've ever seen. It integrates so well into your life. I can walk close to a bus stop and it automatically tells me when my next bus is coming. If I have an event coming up it will notify me when I need to leave so that I make it on time. Obviously that's just scratching the surface of what it can do, but it is so useful.
The most important thing it does for me is it let's me think about other things than my schedule.

I had major buyers remorse when I used the stock Rom with the S3 but I am so happy now.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I'm in a bit of a bind here. I had a rooted Nexus A that I did a clockwork mod on, saved it to my laptop, then sold it. I sent out and got Galaxy S 3 in place of that phone. I have several files I needed on there and I'm sure they are saved in my backup. Is there any way I can extract them from my backup without having to root this phone? If not, what do I need to do? Can a Nexus S backup go on a Galaxy S 3?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thisdude23 posted:

I'm in a bit of a bind here. I had a rooted Nexus A that I did a clockwork mod on, saved it to my laptop, then sold it. I sent out and got Galaxy S 3 in place of that phone. I have several files I needed on there and I'm sure they are saved in my backup. Is there any way I can extract them from my backup without having to root this phone? If not, what do I need to do? Can a Nexus S backup go on a Galaxy S 3?
Titanium can extract app data from nandroids.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Titanium can extract app data from nandroids.

Do I need to root for titanium our can I just install and go from there?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

Do I need to root for titanium our can I just install and go from there?

Yes.

Try this instead, I think I used it once a year or so ago:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.nandroidbrowser

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Tunga posted:

Yes.

Try this instead, I think I used it once a year or so ago:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.goddchen.android.nandroidbrowser

Sweet, I'm on it, thanks.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
For the Nexus S 4G users:

An updated build of CM10 was released last night:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113368286353727502996/posts/H9U1gH1MtmN

I'm not seeing any differences really, but hey, new.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
Okay, I posted a few days ago about my misadventures installing firmware for the wrong hardware and soft-bricking my Galaxy S Vibrant. I'm learning a lot doing this, but my phone is still inoperable.

Alright, so I got a jig off e-bay getting me back to download mode and managed to reflash my Vibrant back to stock. To recap: I managed to flash Gingerbread for the wrong hardware onto my vibrant, which worked, but my phone thought it was for a GT i9000 from europe or something. In the process of trying to root it, I managed to get it stuck in a CMW (or other boot loading program) boot loop. I got a jig off ebay, got it back to download mode, and managed to re-flash this thing back to stock.

Still got problems.

1) my sim card is saying it's not connected. Is it possible that through the various flash processes I've managed to work through, I overwrote my SIM card? Is there a way to recover it, or do I need to get a new one from T-mobile?

2) the initial boot still says "Galaxy S GT-i9000" on booting briefly, then goes to the Vibrant stock boot text and then the normal stock boot pattern. What remnant of the wrong ROM flash is causing the GT i9000 portion to show up? Will I run into any issues, or if I root and try some different ROMS, will it fix itself?

mushi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 28, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mushi posted:

1) my sim card is saying it's not connected. Is it possible that through the various flash processes I've managed to work through, I overwrote my SIM card? Is there a way to recover it, or do I need to get a new one from T-mobile?
I seriously doubt you ruined the SIM. I don't even know if that's a thing that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
Is there any reason to use Titanium Backup over Rom Toolbox?