Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goyder
Jan 20, 2007

Daddy! Daddy! Are you sure this is right?
Thanks - appreciate the advice.

What do you guys recommend to housetrain / teach the dog to go in a specefied spot? I've heard mixed things about pee pads and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Combine corgis with everything! :woop:

Found a cool BuzzFeed picture list of corgi hybrids.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome-corgi-cross-breeds

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Crasscrab posted:

Now I want a Corgi/Daschund or Corgi/German Shepard mix

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Goyder posted:

Thanks - appreciate the advice.

What do you guys recommend to housetrain / teach the dog to go in a specefied spot? I've heard mixed things about pee pads and what not.

I got Gizmo at 12 weeks old. I can count on my hand (other than infections) when he's peed in the house.

I crated him ALWAYS when I was gone. He's not crated now, he'll be 4 in August. He doesn't even know what a peepad in. My husbands mom put her dog in the bathroom with a peepad. And the dog ate his own poo. Had terrible separation anxiety. Granted he was a doxie, puppy mill pup.

Can you get a dog walker? It's summer, is there a neighborhood kid who wants to make a bit of money? They can come over let him out at lunch, and clean up whatever has happened inside?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

Now I want a Corgi/Daschund or Corgi/German Shepard mix

My first dog was a corgi/Shepard mix. She was the size of a corgi, had the coloring of a Shepard. Coolest. Dog. Ever.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

I got Gizmo at 12 weeks old. I can count on my hand (other than infections) when he's peed in the house.

I crated him ALWAYS when I was gone. He's not crated now, he'll be 4 in August. He doesn't even know what a peepad in. My husbands mom put her dog in the bathroom with a peepad. And the dog ate his own poo. Had terrible separation anxiety. Granted he was a doxie, puppy mill pup.

Can you get a dog walker? It's summer, is there a neighborhood kid who wants to make a bit of money? They can come over let him out at lunch, and clean up whatever has happened inside?

Chalk me up for the anti-pee pad group. We haven't used a pee pad for either dog and we have no problem with them going in doors. However, I worked fairly close to home and walked them on my lunch break for the first 6-7 months and crated them. They no longer need the crates and we have no issues.

As an aside, those food bowls with the prongs in the middle are a god send.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Crasscrab posted:

I don't mean to mark on anyone's territory, but this corgi mix link has been rehashed a few times, and the last time I recall someone posted one of these top X corgi pictures lists, one of the dogs belonged to a goon in this thread, and had been taken and used in some for-profit blog post without anybody's consent or knowledge. I recognize at least 80% or more of those pictures as coming from previous posts on exactly the same stuff, and sometimes the "mixes" they claim are total bull as well, with no source to check.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I don't know, this one looks legit

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
FFF Someone stole a picture of my spiderdog for their profit!

Also here's a corgi pic for contribution. It's my girlie Penny!

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 13, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm looking at a corgi breeder's site and sent them an email inquiry about their litter waiting list, but in the meantime would anyone care to weigh in on this breeder's website? They seem pretty legit compared to a couple of the places I've checked out or contacted, and was wondering if someone in here might be familiar with them, thanks! :D

http://winterflowercorgis.com/

Also, another breeder I contacted offered a "1-year health guarantee," and that struck me as a huge red flag since in my personal experience, pets I've had or which were owned by friends and family, seemed to rarely exhibit any serious symptoms in their first year.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I don't know if I'm just overlooking something obvious, but I can't find info on any of their dogs except for 'Howie' and 'Sawyer'. Sawyer seems to have some info on his page, but as far as I can tell doesn't have anything about his hips/hip score.

Overall though looks like a typical bland show breeder :shobon:

Nutzack
Sep 5, 2003

by T. Finninho
These pictures are great. My Pembroke, Wilson Churchill, is so full of life and weirdness. He just has so much fun with his life; an incredible dog with so many crazy traits.

Wilson looking a bit regal here in this pic. He just visited my sister and her cats, I thought I would have to ref a battle royale but he got on with one of the cats amazingly.

edit: Added regal pose picture of Wilson Churchill.

Nutzack fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2012

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Nutzack posted:

These pictures are great. My Pembroke, Wilson Churchill, is so full of life and weirdness. He just has so much fun with his life; an incredible dog with so many crazy traits.

Wilson looking a bit regal here in this pic. He just visited my sister and her cats, I thought I would have to ref a battle royale but he got on with one of the cats amazingly.

edit: Added regal pose picture of Wilson Churchill.

What a cutie. His name is pretty awesome :3: Do you just yell "WWIILLLLSSSOOONNNN!!!" for the fun of it?

I was trying to break Corra's brain with an overload of balls ...

I think it was broken to start with :D

Nutzack
Sep 5, 2003

by T. Finninho

RurouNNy posted:

What a cutie. His name is pretty awesome :3: Do you just yell "WWIILLLLSSSOOONNNN!!!" for the fun of it?

I was trying to break Corra's brain with an overload of balls ...

I think it was broken to start with :D

What a great Cardigan...looks as though he is having a blast. I am in the process of teaching Wilson to put away his toys in the appropriate box but he is being a bit obtuse.

"WWIILLLLSSSOOONNNN!!!" is yelled often often in my house, for fun and also for when I am chasing while he is booking away with my straight-from-the-dryer socks, haha.

Lately, he has surprised me with how he got along so well with my sister's cat, the pics are great, gonna throw them up later. Also, I was curious about Cardigans in terms of the issue of cleanup after they, uh, evacuate. Is this a problem or have they adapted well? Wilson's tail is docked and he still needs the occasional wipe.

That said, even though these guys are kinda high-maintenance, they make up for it with their spectacular personalities and, to me, that goes a long way.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
So we found out last week that my husbands job is taking us to Switzerland in 2014. We will be back in DC for a year of additional training from June 2013 to June/July 2014. During that time we want to get our Pembroke. I have been looking at breeders in the area and there seems to be some good ones. However, we have a dilemma...

Switzerland, and most Euro countries it seems have outlawed docking. They are even fairly strict on bringing in a dog with a docked tail. I have been warned already that people will even make comments to you on the street about your docked dog.

So my question is, has anyone worked with a breeder in the US who didn't dock, or would be ok with not docking the Pem. puppy? We are looking for a really good breeder who could work with us and we are flexible in the east coast mid-atlantic area.

TIA!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Why not just get a Cardigan?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Closet Nerd posted:

So my question is, has anyone worked with a breeder in the US who didn't dock, or would be ok with not docking the Pem. puppy? We are looking for a really good breeder who could work with us and we are flexible in the east coast mid-atlantic area.

TIA!

I think it's going to be very hard to find an excellent breeder who does not dock in the US. Docking is done in the first couple of days after birth, long before the breeder knows anything about their personality, structure or suitability for your family. If the pup had a clear disqualifying fault at birth that meant it wouldn't be able to be shown maybe a breeder would consider leaving a tail but who knows if that would actually happen in any given litter and if that dog would be a good fit for you in other ways.

Your best bet for finding a tailed pem is either going through a rescue or importing one from an area that doesn't allow docking. I think some areas of Canada have banned it and of course many European countries. Importing a dog can be expensive but is done all the time and it shouldn't be too hard to find a breeder willing to work with you.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

Why not just get a Cardigan?

I have looked in Cardigans, and it does seem like an easy solution, however my husband and I prefer the size and general temperament of Pembroke better.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think it's going to be very hard to find an excellent breeder who does not dock in the US. Docking is done in the first couple of days after birth, long before the breeder knows anything about their personality, structure or suitability for your family. If the pup had a clear disqualifying fault at birth that meant it wouldn't be able to be shown maybe a breeder would consider leaving a tail but who knows if that would actually happen in any given litter and if that dog would be a good fit for you in other ways.

Your best bet for finding a tailed pem is either going through a rescue or importing one from an area that doesn't allow docking. I think some areas of Canada have banned it and of course many European countries. Importing a dog can be expensive but is done all the time and it shouldn't be too hard to find a breeder willing to work with you.

Yeah I know it is going to be difficult. I would be happy to take a docked corgi, and if it comes down to it, we will.

We have considered getting our corgi in Switzerland or other surrounding countries. But I have some concerns, when researching I have so far only found one Corgi breeder in all of Switzerland and None so far in Germany. It seems like it is not as easily found, at least through the internet, plus this dog will only be in Europe for probably two or three years before returning to the states. I just feel more comfortable getting a dog in the US that my personal vet can check etc.

Switzerland has a law for docked dogs that you are bringing in that they must be a family pet for a year before "importation" to the country. That means we will have to get our puppy as soon as we get back to the states next summer to make that year time and we want some time to visit breeders etc. It is very complicated.

Part of me wants to be like ehh who cares, docked dogs don't bother me, and no docked corgi I have ever met seems phased by it. But then dealing with the possible "abuse" comments we could get there will be annoying. I am thinking of just telling people that he/she was born that way, because there are breeders in Europe from my research who are trying to breed for the tailless corgi, since docking was outlawed.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Nutzack posted:

What a great Cardigan...looks as though he is having a blast. I am in the process of teaching Wilson to put away his toys in the appropriate box but he is being a bit obtuse.

"WWIILLLLSSSOOONNNN!!!" is yelled often often in my house, for fun and also for when I am chasing while he is booking away with my straight-from-the-dryer socks, haha.

Lately, he has surprised me with how he got along so well with my sister's cat, the pics are great, gonna throw them up later. Also, I was curious about Cardigans in terms of the issue of cleanup after they, uh, evacuate. Is this a problem or have they adapted well? Wilson's tail is docked and he still needs the occasional wipe.

That said, even though these guys are kinda high-maintenance, they make up for it with their spectacular personalities and, to me, that goes a long way.

My Cardigan has never needed a butt wipe after pooping. Not sure why you would think they would have issues any more than a Pembroke (genuinely curious :) )? My collie mix has longer pants fur (we call them rear end curtains) and he will on occasion get some on the longer parts since they drag on the ground when he squats, so I am thinking this may be the case with fluff Corgis as well??

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RurouNNy posted:

My Cardigan has never needed a butt wipe after pooping. Not sure why you would think they would have issues any more than a Pembroke (genuinely curious :) )? My collie mix has longer pants fur (we call them rear end curtains) and he will on occasion get some on the longer parts since they drag on the ground when he squats, so I am thinking this may be the case with fluff Corgis as well??
The only time my corgi ever "needed her skirt cleaned," was when she was sick and/or had been eating something she shouldn't have. If the feces is a healthy consistency it shouldn't be wet or sticky enough to leave anything "behind" :butt:

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
Ok, so I am going with plan A in finding a puppy in the US, when we get back to DC.

I contacted one breeder in Maryland, who looks amazing (best of breed 2012 at Westminster) and said all the right stuff as a breeder on the website and like the look of her dogs. So I sent an email, laying out our lifestyle in the Foreign Service (ie meaning moving every few years), I want to be totally open and honest with our breeder because I expect the same from them. When should I expect a response back from a breeder? Is contacting a year in advance too far? I wasn't sure how far back waiting lists go generally?

Also if anyone has a recommendation of a breeder in the Mid-Atlantic area like South Virginia, WV, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania that would be great.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

For a high profile breeder, contacting them a year in advance isn't unreasonable.

Some breeder are terrible at returning emails however, so if you don't hear back from them in 2-3 weeks, give them a call.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
Her website stated she preferred emails for questions etc. So hopefully hear back soon. Will be hard calling right now as we are overseas but if we need to we can.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
YAY! That breeder responded. I am taking it as a sign because today is my birthday :)

She is very pleasant and welcomed more questions from us and setting up an appointment to visit her place when we are back in the states. She said she has about two litters per year so we should definitely be able to get a dog in our desired time frame. She also had no problem with our moving around. One of her past clients is also a diplomatic family.

I couldn't be happier right now. Oh wait I have chocolate cake and presents waiting for me too :) Great day!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Washington CorGoons:
tomorrow at 10 am, Point Defiance trails walk! Neige and I will be there! Come and meet the white-faced wonder!

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
drat, saw this too late! We need to get a Washington area corgi meetup going, as there seem to be quite a few of us up here now. Maybe going to Magnessun or Marymoor parks?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tulenian posted:

drat, saw this too late! We need to get a Washington area corgi meetup going, as there seem to be quite a few of us up here now. Maybe going to Magnessun or Marymoor parks?

Name the date and time and we will be there! Neige loves meeting up with other corgis. Is anyone else planning on going to the PNW Corgi Picnic?

Yesterday she got to play with one of her littermates! A couple from Woodinville drove down entirely because they saw she was coming and they wanted their dog to meet his sister. It was ridiculously awesome.

Neige's brother Luca, Neige, and a cute puppy from Toreth

Luca and a REALLY FLUFFY Pem named Echo

The three of them charged up and down the beach until Echo stopped being able to keep up, then Neige and Luca just tore around in circles for another 5 minutes straight

Bonus! When they were just 7 weeks old and trying to eat my shoe

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My sister tells me Pinterest has added a Corgis category. It was you guys, wasn't it.

:colbert:

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

My sister tells me Pinterest has added a Corgis category. It was you guys, wasn't it.

:colbert:

I've had 4 or 5 people message me and say, every time I see this, I think of you.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin and I can be at Magnusson or Marymoor Park most weekdays and Sundays. Saturdays are tough because it's wedding season and I'm photographing most Saturdays.

Corwin says, "Agoo!"

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 23, 2012

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
A corgi category? What, I don't see that, is it like a sub category under pets?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Closet Nerd posted:

No idea, I'm not actually on Pinterest myself.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Closet Nerd posted:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin and I can be at Magnusson or Marymoor Park most weekdays and Sundays. Saturdays are tough because it's wedding season and I'm photographing most Saturdays.

Corwin says, "Agoo!"

Sundays are best for us too now that my work schedule is getting more intense. Gonna tentatively suggest August 19th?

Corwin is getting ridiculously cute these days.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

Weird, mine doesn't look like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gogogiraffes is that from your phone? Because I thought that was a photoshop.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Sundays are best for us too now that my work schedule is getting more intense. Gonna tentatively suggest August 19th?

Corwin is getting ridiculously cute these days.

The 19th is good. :)

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

The Dave posted:

gogogiraffes is that from your phone? Because I thought that was a photoshop.

That's the one my friend posted on my Facebook page. But yes, looks like the Pinterest iPhone app. My cousin had it on her computer also.

Edit- I don't see it on mine (I don't use Pinterest that much) maybe they're rolling it out slowly?

Edit again - the new categories were rolled out on the 19th, then they took the corgi category away on the 23rd.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 24, 2012

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Wonder Bra posted:

The 19th is good. :)

I might be able to on the 19th. We've been herding on Saturdays, and doing occasional Sunday open herding sessions. But I'll try and keep the 19th free. :)

Not doing the corgi picnic this year, we're going up to Semiahmoo to celebrate my birthday that weekend. My buddy is dogsitting Bailey and Zeke's tagging along with us. You all should go if you can, though!! Leo and Kathy are so hospitable, and it is a kick to see like ~60 corgis running around like nincompoops in their backyard. There's fun stuff like bobbing for hot dogs, food for the humans, silent auction for Corgiaid. I think Kathi Gangi makes it out most years, and she always brings most if not all of her crew. Protip though-- if you are bringing a Pembroke, it'd be a wise move to put a colorful handkerchief on your dog before you let them loose. It can be really hard to pick out your dog in that big crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Sorry for the double post, but thought you guys would dig this... Bailey's breeder has a brand new litter of Pembrokes! They were born early yesterday. Here's the Ustream- http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tasha-s-puppies

Apparently, Tasha is Bailey's sister's daughter.. so Bailey is the uncle to mom, and great uncle to the babies! Hah!

• Locked thread