Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly its about knowing where to put your boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I cooked a steak tonight and meant to make chimichurri to go with it but forgot to buy what I needed while I was getting the steak. I didn't particularly mind but was wondering what other things like chimichurri I can use for steak. Not necessarily a sauce though

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
My preferred way to serve a steak is roughly chop many fresh herbs, whatever's on hand generally but it normally includes lots of soft thyme, chervil and parsley, add some finely diced shallots and some capers. Spread that onto a wooden board and when the steak is cooked, just let it rest on top of the herbs. When it's ready I flip the steak over and slice it. Little slices of heaven. You could use chimichirri herbs and spices in the same manner.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mostly its about knowing where to put your boner.

Potato salad, maybe? I dunno, just came to me.

Taha
Nov 7, 2010

Where the fuck are my legs?
My garden is cranking out zucchini like there's no tomorrow.

I have given some to friends and co-workers. I have donated some to the local soup kitchen. I still have a bunch that need to be picked soon!

I usually just saute them with fresh herbs, or coat them in balsamic and grill them. I don't really know what else to do.. Does anyone have any good zucchini recipes that they'd be willing to share?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taha posted:

I have given some to friends and co-workers. I have donated some to the local soup kitchen. I still have a bunch that need to be picked soon!

I usually just saute them with fresh herbs, or coat them in balsamic and grill them. I don't really know what else to do.. Does anyone have any good zucchini recipes that they'd be willing to share?

Zucchini brownies!

No idea if this is the recipe I've used before, but http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-brownies/

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Taha posted:

Also zuchinni bread!

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Taha posted:

Stuffed zucchini! Hollow a good-sized one out and stuff with a mixture of cut-up zucchini innards, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant if you've got it lying about, and then top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake until browned. Delicious.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Korean zucchini namul is tasty.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
How long does homemade chicken stock last for in the fridge? I'm pretty new to this and made some almost a week ago, used most of it but forgot about some and am hoping it's not wasted. :( It's a jelly consistency instead of a liquid consistency, if that matters.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Taha posted:

Split em, salt em, oil em, and grill them, then replace eggplant with them in baba ghanouj.

Slice them and grill them. Cube and mix with basil, tomato, garlic, olive oil, and balsamic. Chill and serve on bruschetta.

Mandoline into thin ribbons, treat like boiled lasagne noodles.

Curry. You can curry almost any vegetable.

Same thing with stir fry. Cut into matchsticks and stir fry with pork slivers with some hot bean sauce, garlic, ginger, black vinegar, and soy.

Abort the zucchini as blossoms. Stuff the blossoms with ricotta and herbs. Close up, dip in a tempura-like batter and deep fry. This is quite possibly the best antipasto in Italian cuisine.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Zucchini fritters!

I went a little wild roasting red peppers (there was a crazy sale), but now I'm not sure how best to preserve leftovers... In oil in my fridge? Should I put anything in the oil?

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

I cooked a steak tonight and meant to make chimichurri to go with it but forgot to buy what I needed while I was getting the steak. I didn't particularly mind but was wondering what other things like chimichurri I can use for steak. Not necessarily a sauce though

I love a compound butter with roasted garlic and paprika, or roasted guajillo pepper ground, with some lime juice and zest.

Roll it into a log in wax paper, refrigerate til it holds its shape, cut a nice half-inch slab from it, and set it on the steak as soon as you pull it off the heat to rest.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just freeze them, Taco Show.

http://www.kalofagas.ca/2007/06/28/preserving-roasted-red-peppers/

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

nomarsh posted:

hey folks. I have a cooking dilemma and you all are much better at cooking than me so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm visiting with family and I've got a person who's not doing so hot and per doctor's orders is on extremely restricted diet called low FODMAP. Here's a list of can and can'ts PLUS in her case, she also cannot have gluten, dairy, nuts, or legumes. Acidic things like lemons and limes are ok in small amounts. Fibrous veggies are ok, but again not a whole lot at once. She can eat most meat, eggs and dark greens like baby spinach go well.

I really want to cook meals that she can join & give her some recipes to leave with. last night was I did spinach salad with chicken & balsamic dressing, but that is where my ideas end. If anyone can think creatively around these insanely tight restrictions it'd be appreciated!

Off the top of my head, a simple chicken roasted with carrots, parsnips, and potatoes. Pick one or two of the allowed veggies and sauté them with garlic/ onion oil (since the restrictions say that is ok) to go along with it. Holy poo poo it would suck to be on that diet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What happened to the slow cooker thread? :ohdear:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

"Onion and garlic are particularly bad triggers and should be avoided as best as you can."

Solution: shoot yourself.

I kid, I kid. Having dietary restrictions due to medical reasons is terrible and having to cut out onions and garlic from your diet. <shudder> What a nightmare. Now, on the up side I read through the list and it looks an awful lot like a go-to list for stir fry.

Carrots, celery, water chestnuts, red bell pepper, zucchini and whatever other fresh veggies you can cut into little chunklets and jam in there with a little protein like eggs or chicken. Observe the guides on what spices/oils are acceptable and basically heat and eat.

:( No onions. A culinary death sentence. :cry:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm looking after my parents plants while they're away on holiday and I've got loads of cucumbers that need using. What can I use them with? They're not really fat enough to be deseeded if thats important to the recipe

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uhhh gorge on them raw all week? Yum.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well other than that obviously. I mean they're all getting eaten I'd just like to do something interesting with them.

That soup looks good I'll give it a go this weekend. Pimms is out because while it might be a perfect British summer drink, its done nothing but piss down here pretty much. Overcast if I'm lucky. Eventually we'll get proper sun in Newcastle and I'll moan that its too hot.

I suppose while I'm here, there is also a ton of basil that needs using. Pesto would be the obvious choice but I've got enough of it already.

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 25, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm looking after my parents plants while they're away on holiday and I've got loads of cucumbers that need using. What can I use them with? They're not really fat enough to be deseeded if thats important to the recipe

Drink a lot of Pimms and eat a lot of cucumber sandwiches. Perfect British summertime stuff.

Edit: I've had iced cucumber soup before, and it's very nice. But I don't have a reliable recipe to hand, I'm afraid.

Edit edit: This recipe sounds quite interesting, though.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2012

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Scott Bakula posted:

Well other than that obviously. I mean they're all getting eaten I'd just like to do something interesting with them

Tzatziki or a generic mint/cucumber salad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Well other than that obviously. I mean they're all getting eaten I'd just like to do something interesting with them

I just solved my cucumber overload by making a big ol batch of gazpacho.
http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/jose-andres-gazpacho-recipe

Also, cucumber kimchi, sunomono, or basically any kind of pickle you can think of.

You can also just mandoline julienne and throw on top of cold noodles like soba, or in dan dan mian, etc.

Toss into salads like larb or whatever.

Put a few slices in a pitcher of ice water. Gives it a nice cool clean taste.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like to make cucumber dip - 2 cups puréed cucumber (with or without skin, your preference), 1 cup cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream, a tablespoon or so of lemon juice, dill, salt, and black pepper. It's fabulous for dipping bread.

Last time I bought cucumbers I forgot one at the back of the crisper drawer. It was shrink-wrapped, and when I finally discovered it it definitely belonged in the Spoilage Abominations thread :(

Edit - for the IBS sufferer, a friend of mine has found that he can eat pretty much whatever he wants without triggering his, as long as he takes a particular dietary supplement every day. I'll try to remember and ask him what he takes. He mentioned he heard about it on an IBS message board or something, so apparently it works for a fair number of people. He still tries to avoid too many trigger foods, but he doesn't have to be as careful when ordering in restaurants and such where he can't control the ingredients.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 25, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Edit - for the IBS sufferer, a friend of mine has found that he can eat pretty much whatever he wants without triggering his, as long as he takes a particular dietary supplement every day. I'll try to remember and ask him what he takes. He mentioned he heard about it on an IBS message board or something, so apparently it works for a fair number of people. He still tries to avoid too many trigger foods, but he doesn't have to be as careful when ordering in restaurants and such where he can't control the ingredients.

There was a recent paper that clearly linked IBS to excess colon bacteria and this implied that it could be treated just with antibiotic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

There was a recent paper that clearly linked IBS to excess colon bacteria and this implied that it could be treated just with antibiotic.

Do you have a link?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think the thing my friend takes is a digestive enzyme of some sort that suppresses certain types of bacteria? I don't remember the exact details of what he told me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.springerlink.com/content/61g5233680300678/fulltext.pdf

from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120525103354.htm

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've tried a number of different fiber supplements for my IBS. Most of them aren't terribly effective, but Fibersol is great. It has psyllium, guar gum and pectin fiber instead of just psyllium. I saw that guar gum fiber is noted to be particularly effective for IBS sufferers, and it's been pretty good so far.
I also take hyoscyamine as needed, it's a sublingual pill that is an anti-convulsant that helps restore regular bowel motility. Worth checking in to, it takes really quick effect and lasts for a while.

Ah - perhaps the causes are different for the constipation/not-constipation types of IBS, I see the study gravity linked is constipation type.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
What do I do with Chinese Hot Mustard, besides dipping pretzels in it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

homerlaw posted:

What do I do with Chinese Hot Mustard, besides dipping pretzels in it?

Same thing you do with all other mustards. Use as a condiment on things, in vinaigrettes, marinades, etc.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Dip eggrolls in it!

...anyone have a good recipe for eggrolls?

Taha
Nov 7, 2010

Where the fuck are my legs?

quote:

Awesome zucchini ideas

Thanks to everyone who posted zucchini ideas! I have a hard time being creative in the kitchen, and you have all given me inspiration. I could have just googled this, but I knew that GWS would have the best ideas.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's a good, enameled, not too expensive dutch oven?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

Scroll down to the new FAQ in the Product Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

An observer posted:

General consensus is go Le Creuset or don't get one at all, I think. The others are prone to chip easily and at just over half the price of a LC, you might as well just get the real thing.

That said, Costco sells kirkland ones that are the cheapest but quality can be hit or miss. Staub makes some that look pretty good, but the price difference between them and LC is negligible.

Honestly, without starting another argument, there's nothing you can do in enamel cast iron that you can't do in a regular cast iron or in stainless and the latter two are far less finnicky and much less expensive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think a couple of posters have mentioned that even their Le Creuset dutch ovens have flaked. I can't recall who it was, but somebody mentioned that Staub's black enameled dutch ovens use a different kind of enameling that doesn't flake. Never seen one at a discount store though.

But yeah as you mentioned cast iron dutch ovens aren't really a necessity. You can do fine with a stainless steel pot.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 25, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Honestly, without starting another argument, there's nothing you can do in enamel cast iron that you can't do in a regular cast iron or in stainless and the latter two are far less finnicky and much less expensive.

Aren't there issues with cooking food with wine and other acidic ingredients in regular cast iron pots? Something about discoloration and excessive iron taste in the food?

Edit: Staub usually cost more than Le Creuset over here.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 25, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Aren't there issues with cooking food with wine and other acidic ingredients in regular cast iron pots? Something about discoloration and excessive iron taste in the food?

I meant the combination of the two. If doing acid sauce, do in stainless. You can still get both a conventional cast iron and a good stainless pot for less than an enamel cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I meant the combination of the two. If doing acid sauce, do in stainless. You can still get both a conventional cast iron and a good stainless pot for less than an enamel cast iron.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.