Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

2011 Gathering of the Juggalos had Nash and Waltman vs. The New Age Outlaws.

the fact that this sentence exists pisses me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

Wasn't he the one who mentioned it in a newsletter and people were calling bullshit on it?

I don't think Dave is aware of people on this forum calling BS on something he wrote a decade ago, nor do I think he cares. He probably still has the original ad filed away somewhere since he keeps hard copies of EVERYTHING.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

the fact that this sentence exists pisses me off
Well now that you're all mad about it I'm going to include the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeAPcnF1Vg

e: David Penzer is the ring announcer :swoon:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

maniacripper posted:

Wasn't he the one who mentioned it in a newsletter and people were calling bullshit on it?

The original DVD thread had a bunch of quotes from the Observer which people couldn't work out if they were made up or not considering how flat out hilarious some of them are. And because one of the quotes listed this directly, people lumped them together.

Dave wouldn't give a poo poo as he knew that it was real all along. However, the veracity of some of those quotes are still in doubt. And I await the retro observers getting up to the glory days of Warrior making GBS threads under the ring and making bulldog throw up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

The original DVD thread had a bunch of quotes from the Observer which people couldn't work out if they were made up or not considering how flat out hilarious some of them are. And because one of the quotes listed this directly, people lumped them together.

Dave wouldn't give a poo poo as he knew that it was real all along. However, the veracity of some of those quotes are still in doubt. And I await the retro observers getting up to the glory days of Warrior making GBS threads under the ring and making bulldog throw up.

Wasn't it Hennig who took a poo poo under the ring to gently caress with Warrior? That story was being told in Prodigy Wrestlechat so if it wasn't an Observer quote it definitely dates back to the time. A number of those quotes do as well, that's why I never doubted the logo one. I remember everyone talking about it, and that WCW did a marketing blitz like that, it was supposed to be "edgy" and cool.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I knew it involved making GBS threads, under the ring and someone from WWF. And Warrior.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MassRayPer posted:

If you have an Observer subscription Karl Stern did a series of podcasts about the history of wrestling from the pioneer days until today.

Sounds interesting. It it worth getting a one-month subcription to pick up the acrhived podcasts? If so what kind of other podcasts are there on offer, besides the usual "This stuff happened this week, we talk about it" shows?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tyma posted:

Sounds interesting. It it worth getting a one-month subcription to pick up the acrhived podcasts? If so what kind of other podcasts are there on offer, besides the usual "This stuff happened this week, we talk about it" shows?

You talking about the Observer site in total? There are tons of other stuff in addition to the daily recap shows, such as

• Interviews with wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, and personalities - Bruno Sammartino, Jim Cornette, and Konnan are some of the standouts.
  • Dr. Keith Presents does indy stuff and sometimes does huge retrospectives, like years in review and stuff.
  • Dave often goes on wrestling history tangents, which is like the best thing ever and one of the major reasons I subscribed as long as I did. Dave is awesome.

Basically, you'll get a month worth of enjoyment in just going back and listening to old interviews. I definitely recommend it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

LordPants posted:

I knew it involved making GBS threads, under the ring and someone from WWF. And Warrior.

yeah, pretty sure it was Hennig under the ring, around the time Warrior was in WCW with his trap-door for exiting in the cloud of smoke.

Maybe you thought of Bulldog because he hosed up his back on Warrior's trap door?

the trap door is the link to everything. :ninja:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Who was it that when they entered JR would say "Business is about to pick up"?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Orgophlax posted:

I think he could say this about any big "hoss" but I specifically remember him saying this about Kane showing up a lot. That and "through hellfire and brimstone!"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

I don't think it was really used for one specific person, was it?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK. I could've sworn it was used for one guy in the Attitude era, especially whenever he would do a run in/promo interrupt.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've been watching Raws from 1998-1999 for the past week or so, and it's definitely just a stock JR line for anyone.

On the subject of Raw, I watched the 1000th episode last night, having not seen an episode of WWE TV since 2002 (save for watching a Punk vs Morrison match on some weekday show..ECW?). Pretty jarring going from 1999 Raw to 2012 Raw. The weirdest difference I noticed is the crowd - during promos and poo poo on the Titantron, the 2012 crowd was quiet and looked like they were watching a movie at a theater or something. The 1999 crowd was just an anxious, constantly moving/talking crowd at almost all times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

• Interviews with wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, and personalities - Bruno Sammartino, Jim Cornette, and Konnan are some of the standouts.
This is the first time in history Konnan has been a standout.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

This is the first time in history Konnan has been a standout.

You do realize he was a gigantic star in Mexico and helped start a gigantic boom period which made AAA the hottest company on the planet for a time?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRayPer posted:

You do realize he was a gigantic star in Mexico and helped start a gigantic boom period which made AAA the hottest company on the planet for a time?

He also helped bring the luchadors to WCW

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

He also helped bring the luchadors to WCW

He is also bout it bout it and rowdy rowdy.

And his commentary in TNA was just sublime. Butterbean and Krispy Kreme.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
He also wore hats women were compelled to feel.

Plus, he met Donny and Marie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgqt7uV5sE

"Raven's gonna fight in super bra! :downsbravo:"

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 24, 2012

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You guys seem to be forgetting that Konnan used to throw his shoe and it was always amazing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And his commentary in TNA was just sublime. Butterbean and Krispy Kreme.

I'd love just a two-man commentary team of him and Booker. Nothing but nonsense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'd love just a two-man commentary team of him and Booker. Nothing but nonsense.

Stevie Ray and Juvi. :colbert: It would make no sense and sense.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Stevie Ray and Juvi. :colbert: It would make no sense and sense.

yeah, I can get behind this. We're suffering from a lack of the term "yak" in wrestling nowadays.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Handsome Dead posted:

You guys seem to be forgetting that Konnan used to throw his shoe and it was always amazing.

Konnan was also one of the only guys in the nWo who seemed to be legitimately cool (in a street cred kind of way) instead of just being a wrestler with a "cool guy" gimmick.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

Konnan was also one of the only guys in the nWo who seemed to be legitimately cool (in a street cred kind of way) instead of just being a wrestler with a "cool guy" gimmick.

I think it's clear Lex Luger was the coolest guy in the Wolfpac. He totally fit the image of the group and wasn't out of place in the slightest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

An Actual Bear posted:

I think it's clear Lex Luger was the coolest guy in the Wolfpac. He totally fit the image of the group and wasn't out of place in the slightest.

This is very accurate, he fit in well in a stable of over the hill white guys.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

An Actual Bear posted:

Total Package :cool:
Big Sexy :effort:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If a 40-year old white man with sunglasses and a sweet mane of hair wearing FUBU isn't cool to you then maybe we shouldn't be friends.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

An Actual Bear posted:

Buff "The Stuff" Bagwell was the coolest guy in Wolfpac. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KildarX posted:

Buff "The Stuff" Bagwell was the coolest guy in Wolfpac. :colbert:

Buff Bagwell isn't the coolest guy in any team. Yes, even American Males.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Deadpool posted:

Buff Bagwell isn't the coolest guy in any team. Yes, even American Males.

Buff Bagwell and Judy Bagwell.

Yeah you're right.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Monday Night Wars junkie/casual fan query: why does Brodus Clay have a funk gimmick, come out under a disco ball, and dress like an 80s rapper?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Well now that you're all mad about it I'm going to include the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeAPcnF1Vg

e: David Penzer is the ring announcer :swoon:

Video is so depressing. It's like the longer you're a wrestling fan the worse it gets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AKMoose posted:

Monday Night Wars junkie/casual fan query: why does Brodus Clay have a funk gimmick, come out under a disco ball, and dress like an 80s rapper?

Brodus played the big scary bruiser type in his season of NXT, with some nice comedic touches. When his season of NXT ended, he became Alberto Del Rio's bodyguard but got a bad injury. When Johnny Ace became the Raw GM, Brodus started getting little video packages about his return, and there was a running gag where he'd be on the phone with Ace who was telling him,"Next week you'll be on!", then not book him, telling Otunga that when Brodus finally showed up he'd be pissed off, hungry and dangerous.

When Brodus finally returned after all this build up of,"Never mind that bullshit, here comes Mongo!", he instead arrived as the fun-loving, exciting, dancing Funkasaurus, who was just there to have him some fun. The complete 180 on what people were expecting was very effective at kind of blowing people's minds. I couldn't tell you exactly why they decided to do it this way, but I thought it worked quite well at leaving you with a good-natured :wtc: reaction.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

AKMoose posted:

Because he is literally a dinosaur.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AKMoose posted:

Short Answer: Because he's just that drat funky :slick:

Slightly longer answer: It was originally a joke gimmick forced on him by Vince upon his return from an extended injury because... well, because it's Vince. Something along the lines of Sexual Chocolate or Perry Saturn's "You're Welcome" phase. But he committed to it so hard that he actually got over with it, and is a midcard regular as a result.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
He wasn't injured, he was out filming a WWE Films movie and was on Superstars between the Del Rio thing and when he redebuted as the Funkasaurus.

E: Unless he was injured during that Superstars run at some point I don't remember.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think you are all missing his fundamental question as to why funk+disco+1980s hip-hop.

Though to be fair disco balls were certainly not out of the question whenever Bootsy Collins or Parliament Funkadelic were involved. But it is kind of funny that they are mixing two entirely different musical-costuming stereotypes for his outfit, when he could just go full-on "foot-tall platform boots, star-shaped sunglasses, afro wig, shiny silver costume" and probably be even more over.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

TheHock posted:

He wasn't injured, he was out filming a WWE Films movie and was on Superstars between the Del Rio thing and when he redebuted as the Funkasaurus.

E: Unless he was injured during that Superstars run at some point I don't remember.

He got his head busted open something fierce in the (I think) del Rio/Christian ladder match. The gash left a big, pooling puddle of blood on the mats, and I think he disappeared after that match until he redebuted. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is Barrett coming back anytime soon? I was pretty surprised he didn't even make an appearance on Raw 1000.