Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
My sources tell me that someone had a seizure two hours in during the VA bar. Hope it wasn't one of you goons. Enjoy the extra 20 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Green Crayons posted:

My sources tell me that someone had a seizure two hours in during the VA bar. Hope it wasn't one of you goons. Enjoy the extra 20 minutes!

Yep. Some dude in one of the laptop rooms had a seizure, collapsed, busted his head on the floor, and bled all over the place. 20 minutes added to that room's time.

It wasn't me, you can all rest easy.

Uneventful otherwise.

Sweet gal sitting next to me from Regent. Prayed for a SOLID full minute at the beginning of each session while everyone else started reading/writing frantically. Except me. I sat there and timed her because I have nothing better to do with all my extra time. As expected, finished each time with well over 1 hour remaining. I'm not sure if watching her pray and counting seconds makes me an even worse heathen than the people who at least just dove right in. Oh well.

Had a nice 2 hour lunch break, and left in the afternoon at 4pm beating the traffic. Showered, cozy, and waiting on room service. I did however get a MASSIVE headache toward the end of session 2 while I was proofreading answers. Still hasn't gone away. Ugh.

Struck up a conversation with nice Regent gal. Topic turned to areas of interest, tax being mine. Turns out she's one of those tax protestor types. Oh well, the fact she's a little crazy doesn't change the fact that she's nice and still bar-friend material.

Hooray for multiple choice tomorrow. Looking forward to another 2 hour lunch break.

Essays today were WEIRD. One FULL Wills/Estate question and one FULL Trusts question AND ANOTHER Question that was Wills/Estate with one property/deed of trust factoid in it. Oh well, strong subjects for me, no complaints.

One Criminal Law question instead of criminal procedure which was awesome, 1 VA Civ Pro and 1 Fed Civ Pro. One UCC/Sales, one domestic relations (divorce) and 1 corporations question.

No ethics, no local government (except for one of the short answer, which I nailed).

There was one weird rear end short answer I had no clue on. Answered the other 9, should get at least 6 or 7 out of 10 short answer right.

Burger just got here. Hooray!!!!

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

As punishment for reading this thread instead of studying/sleeping, all you bar takers will be halfway through an essay question, pause, and instead of the answer filling your brain, you will hear:

"hey baby I want that car... hey baby I really want that car... let's get that car.... WOOO! Yeah baby let's get those keys and goooooooo... WOOOO!"

This actually worked on me in the AM session BTW. Popped in my head on the ride over and then again early on in the exam. I laughed and resumed writing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boosted_C5 posted:

Yep. Some dude in one of the laptop rooms had a seizure, collapsed, busted his head on the floor, and bled all over the place. 20 minutes added to that room's time.

It wasn't me, you can all rest easy.

Uneventful otherwise.

Sweet gal sitting next to me from Regent. Prayed for a SOLID full minute at the beginning of each session while everyone else started reading/writing frantically. Except me. I sat there and timed her because I have nothing better to do with all my extra time. As expected, finished each time with well over 1 hour remaining. I'm not sure if watching her pray and counting seconds makes me an even worse heathen than the people who at least just dove right in. Oh well.

Had a nice 2 hour lunch break, and left in the afternoon at 4pm beating the traffic. Showered, cozy, and waiting on room service. I did however get a MASSIVE headache toward the end of session 2 while I was proofreading answers. Still hasn't gone away. Ugh.

Struck up a conversation with nice Regent gal. Topic turned to areas of interest, tax being mine. Turns out she's one of those tax protestor types. Oh well, the fact she's a little crazy doesn't change the fact that she's nice and still bar-friend material.

Hooray for multiple choice tomorrow. Looking forward to another 2 hour lunch break.

Essays today were WEIRD. One FULL Wills/Estate question and one FULL Trusts question AND ANOTHER Question that was Wills/Estate with one property/deed of trust factoid in it. Oh well, strong subjects for me, no complaints.

One Criminal Law question instead of criminal procedure which was awesome, 1 VA Civ Pro and 1 Fed Civ Pro. One UCC/Sales, one domestic relations (divorce) and 1 corporations question.

No ethics, no local government (except for one of the short answer, which I nailed).

There was one weird rear end short answer I had no clue on. Answered the other 9, should get at least 6 or 7 out of 10 short answer right.

Burger just got here. Hooray!!!!

You have rooms? When I took it, it was in the huge convention center in Roanoke.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I loving bombed the state multiple choice. Here's to hoping I got half of it

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You have rooms? When I took it, it was in the huge convention center in Roanoke.

He's... he's... "writing" it. They get a special room, instead of the gigantic laptop cattle pen. And I think they have laptop overflow rooms now because the market is so great that everyone wants to be a lawyer.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Welp Barbri was pretty useless on about 3/4 out of 10 essay questions. One was about accident building on another's property. I had to rely on my...wait for it...law school property class for that rule. The others I did alright on, though. I think?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The best advice I can give you guys is this:

Get together in large groups and go over the answers. You will find this will relax you and help keep you calm during the months long wait for results. You won't think about the questions you missed at all, especially not right after you go to bed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The best advice I can give:

Buy a fifth of Jack Daniels and drink it over the course of the bar (evenings only unless it's your second bar exam).

Worked for me

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Dog Lawyer Meme follow up, OC felt that it wasn't courteous but they aren't going to file suit.

Dog Lawyer Meme: 1
Idiot OC's: 0

Edit: All I need to know to practice law, I learned from Mr. Leonard J Crabs.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2012

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

It's still at the civic center, but the number of takers is skyrocketing.

Not sure about this year's count, but last July was almost 1,600 people.

They need 2 separate areas in the Civic Center now for Laptop testing. One area is on the actual arena floor, not sure where the other is.

The handwriting room is below ground in the middle of the Theater and Arena. Only a couple hundred folks. VERY cool a/c running, and the cool thing is we stay where we were tomorrow for the MBE.

Proctor was chill. They were totally lax about the permitted items in ziplock thing and the guy gave people the chance to go get things from their car or put them away at the beginning of each section.

Cop slumped over in a chair by the door. Pretty sure he was sleeping most of the time. I said bye at 4 and he looked up at me in a daze.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone who cares, I had my interview with the class action firm today. Nailed the gently caress out of the interview; I'm pretty sure I'll be hired, if they're hiring anyone at all.

It was a weird situation. Two non-attorneys from a separate litigation support firm that does the HR for the law firm and two partners from the law firm. Only one of them was actually interested in the interview; the other one, a kind of hopeless looking woman, mentally checked out of the interview and answered obtusely when I asked what she actually did. "I sort of take care of staffing... making sure that everyone is staffed... like an overview thing." She was making little squigglies all over my resume and darkly shading out random words with her pen while slumped sideways. "I told my children that they are forbidden from going to law school." I tried to include her in the interview but I think she was checked out because the other partner was the one making the call.

The other partner got super excited and freaked out over the various civic engagement things I'd done when I just randomly threw them in there. Probably because they sounded fun and interesting.

He shook my hand and said to me, "You'll be hearing from us soon." I think I bagged it. Now I have another interview tomorrow with a pompous unaccredited-degree-holding solo practitioner who will be putting me through a three hour "test," which I suspect might be a little hide-the-ball ego boost she needs to prove again and again that even though she didn't get a good degree she knows something more than these prestigious young fucks! I'm getting a bad feeling about her.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
There was a massive storm in Raleigh and the power in the testing center went out, we sat in darkness for an hour

it was actually kind of cool and they gave us extra time

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Bold Robot posted:

I'm in NYC and they're in California, so it's mainly an issue of ticket prices and not wanting to deal with so much transit time for a potentially short visit. I'd rather not fly all the way out there if I might have to hop back on a plane on short notice after a couple days.

NY in particular has a very tight turnaround. It wasn't uncommon to get a callback in less than 48 hours and to schedule the callback within a week of your screener.

There's probably not a worse time you could decide to unavailable -- maybe finals.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Martin Random posted:

For anyone who cares, I had my interview with the class action firm today. Nailed the gently caress out of the interview; I'm pretty sure I'll be hired, if they're hiring anyone at all.

It was a weird situation. Two non-attorneys from a separate litigation support firm that does the HR for the law firm and two partners from the law firm. Only one of them was actually interested in the interview; the other one, a kind of hopeless looking woman, mentally checked out of the interview and answered obtusely when I asked what she actually did. "I sort of take care of staffing... making sure that everyone is staffed... like an overview thing." She was making little squigglies all over my resume and darkly shading out random words with her pen while slumped sideways. "I told my children that they are forbidden from going to law school." I tried to include her in the interview but I think she was checked out because the other partner was the one making the call.

The other partner got super excited and freaked out over the various civic engagement things I'd done when I just randomly threw them in there. Probably because they sounded fun and interesting.

He shook my hand and said to me, "You'll be hearing from us soon." I think I bagged it. Now I have another interview tomorrow with a pompous unaccredited-degree-holding solo practitioner who will be putting me through a three hour "test," which I suspect might be a little hide-the-ball ego boost she needs to prove again and again that even though she didn't get a good degree she knows something more than these prestigious young fucks! I'm getting a bad feeling about her.

I don't know who you are, but you sound like a douchebag.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't know who you are, but you sound like a douchebag.

I wish I was a douchebag so I could have gotten OCI call-backs.

I think they all saw through my bull-poo poo acting job. :(

Oh well, probably for the best. I would not have fit in with the big firm fart-sniffing culture. You can take the hick out of the sticks, but you can't take the sticks out of the hick.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Bar exam, day one: used the term "skulls for the skull throne" in my performance test

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The best advice I can give:

Buy a fifth of Jack Daniels and drink it over the course of the bar (evenings only unless it's your second bar exam).

Worked for me

Also acceptable?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Also acceptable?
hey I used to work for themis. How was their New York stuff? my friend was asking.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Good/fine. I seemed to know every bit as much as my friends who did Barbri. Also, some of the lecturers were really good (the commercial paper guy, Sherman Clark for evidence [Go Blue!]) And, like, I saved ~$2,500.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The key is drinking.
Me and my bar buddy (who I went to law school with) went to a nearby bar after the bar.
Worked for me, worked less well for him.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
No freak outs to report in CA. I thought two essays went well, the other essay and the PT were struggles.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People who drink bourbon by choice are very unfortunate creatures.

If you're taking the IL bar then drink malort and add to your suffering.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 25, 2012

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nm posted:

The key is drinking.
Me and my bar buddy (who I went to law school with) went to a nearby bar after the bar.
Worked for me, worked less well for him.

I prefer exercise to drinking to destress. After an hour of cardio I can barely remember my own name, much less what happened that day.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

I prefer exercise to drinking to destress. After an hour of cardio I can barely remember my own name, much less what happened that day.

And you purport to be a lawyer!

Actually, that goes to the last two posters.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Also acceptable?
Preferable, I'd say.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

This is why I still do muay thai for ~10 hours a week.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Good/fine. I seemed to know every bit as much as my friends who did Barbri. Also, some of the lecturers were really good (the commercial paper guy, Sherman Clark for evidence [Go Blue!]) And, like, I saved ~$2,500.

Awesome, I'll let him know.

I thought all the MBE Profs (esp. crazy beard property guy) were pretty good but the Texas-specific profs were hit or miss, so I was wondering how good the NY-specific guys were. Sounds like they're good enough to recommend to my friend, tho.

Thanks!

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I actually got into an argument about if the crazy property guy was awesome tonight (he was)

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I go to one of the mid-ranked schools in California and we have no New York firms/offices coming to OCI. I was just wondering if I have any chance of getting screening interviews with any New York firms if I send out application packages to them or if I'm wasting my time. Obviously it depends largely on what they think of my grades and experience but is that something that even really happens or do they stick almost entirely to people at schools they visit? Thanks!

Also, good luck on day 2 of the bar for all you taking it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

You are more evil than I ever thought.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Schieff posted:

I go to one of the mid-ranked schools in California and we have no New York firms/offices coming to OCI. I was just wondering if I have any chance of getting screening interviews with any New York firms if I send out application packages to them or if I'm wasting my time. Obviously it depends largely on what they think of my grades and experience but is that something that even really happens or do they stick almost entirely to people at schools they visit? Thanks!

Also, good luck on day 2 of the bar for all you taking it.
Which school and what percentile?

That said you shouldn't be anywhere in CA except Stanford or Boalt if NYC was your goal. Plenty of big law in SF, and San Jose, LA. If they're not coming, hate to break it to you but Cal Western isn't a mid-ranked school.

That said, you never know.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Agesilaus posted:

You are the worst

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

nm posted:

Which school and what percentile?

That said you shouldn't be anywhere in CA except Stanford or Boalt if NYC was your goal. Plenty of big law in SF, and San Jose, LA. If they're not coming, hate to break it to you but Cal Western isn't a mid-ranked school.

That said, you never know.

I'm probably gonna get poo poo for this but it's actually UCI. I would be very happy either in SF or LA. I'm not even sure I want to live in NYC but thought it was something I should explore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Artic Puma posted:

I'm probably gonna get poo poo for this but it's actually UCI. I would be very happy either in SF or LA. I'm not even sure I want to live in NYC but thought it was something I should explore.

Apply everywhere. You'll need it. SoCal is so loving oversaturated.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Artic Puma posted:

New York is tough for Irvine because it's so new. That said I know Irvine people who got awesome grades and were able to land a lot of offers in CA. The best bet might be try to hook up with a Cali firm and then lateral to a New York office.

But yes apply everywhere because slim pickings regardless.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also, don't discount Nevada. The market isn't great, but there's almost a shortage of good (emphasis) lawyers there (at least in Reno).

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

nm posted:

Also, don't discount Nevada. The market isn't great, but there's almost a shortage of good (emphasis) lawyers there (at least in Reno).

I keep looking at Nevada for clerkships. I think I'd be happy to set up shop there long term too.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

Uneventful otherwise.

Woot! It's looking good for passing, man. To fall into that 30%, you'd have to botch it up or feel like several essays missed the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

I keep looking at Nevada for clerkships. I think I'd be happy to set up shop there long term too.

Reno is actually shockingly livable.