Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaneda
Jan 2, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

If you're open to using Google Voice, that will work flawlessly. I do and can send and receive texts with my phone, tablet, and any PC from the website.

I'd love to use Google Voice, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use with my own phone number.

For example, I'd like to be able to use my N7/desktop to send SMS messages from Google Voice, but have them appear to the sender like they were sent from my cell # (not my GVoice number).

It would also be cool if I could forward any SMS from my Android phone to GVoice, so I could read from N7/desktop.

Basically, is it possible to use GVoice with my existing phone number, or do I have to use the GVoice number I got when I signed up? Anyone know if this is possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Kaneda posted:

I'd love to use Google Voice, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use with my own phone number.

For example, I'd like to be able to use my N7/desktop to send SMS messages from Google Voice, but have them appear to the sender like they were sent from my cell # (not my GVoice number).

It would also be cool if I could forward any SMS from my Android phone to GVoice, so I could read from N7/desktop.

Basically, is it possible to use GVoice with my existing phone number, or do I have to use the GVoice number I got when I signed up? Anyone know if this is possible?

You can do this if you're on Sprint.

Kaneda
Jan 2, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

You can do this if you're on Sprint.

Verizon unfortunately, but I'll give that Tablet Talk app a shot and see how it works.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
You also use air droid. It syncs with your phone to text from your desktop. Dunno about tablets though.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Kaneda posted:

You can if you're on Sprint. Other than that I don't think it's possible.

efb

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You also use air droid. It syncs with your phone to text from your desktop. Dunno about tablets though.

It's browser based right? Should be able to connect to the address of your phone with Chrome on the tablet to send/view texts.

Kaneda
Jan 2, 2003

Glimm posted:

It's browser based right? Should be able to connect to the address of your phone with Chrome on the tablet to send/view texts.

Been using AirDroid for quite some time, it's awesome (especially for a free app) when I'm at a computer and can leave the window open in a separate tab. It's really nice because whenever a new SMS/call comes in, the title of the page changes so it's really easy to notice when something happens.

Tried it on my tablet but the experience wasn't the same as I had to keep switching into the browser (since I couldn't leave it open). What I was really looking for was a notification system on my N7 for messages and calls. Tablet Talk is pretty slick, I'm loving the integration so far, and it not only syncs SMS but notifies on phone calls.

The only downside is you have to be on the same local network or connected via bluetooth to the phone, but I'm pretty much just using this at my house so it works flawlessly so far for my needs.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Kaneda posted:

You can port any number to GVoice for :10bux::10bux: but it'll cancel your current contract so you'd have to pay any early termination fees. You might be able to get your carrier to play along if you don't want to cancel your service, but ymmv.

Alternatively you could just start handing out your GVoice number as your new primary number. Once you do that, install Google Voice on your phone/device and let it work its sweet, sweet Android integration magic.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google voice on Sprint was magical. I'd strongly suggest trying it out for anyone on Sprint who has a smart phone. I wound up moving to ATT as Sprint was painfully slow in my area, but I really miss pretty much everything else about Sprint.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

On the plus side, Staples Canada gave me absolutely no fuss returning my dead N7.

On the negative, my $20 2-day Google shipping is now 3-day :rolleyes:

I wish I were several weeks more patient so that I could give the profit to Staples instead.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Polo-Rican posted:

Thanks! But it's already falling apart. Either heavy strength spray adhesive isn't strong enough or I didn't put enough on.
Try a urethane-based adhesive like Gorilla Glue. Wet the elastic and the book, and use enough to just barely coat one of the surfaces - it expands during the curing process. Clamp and let it sit at least overnight and don't let any get on your hands, it's not water, alcohol or hydrocarbon soluble and turns black on skin. Thankfully, it's not harmful. If you go this route, please let me know, I'm curious how it turns out for you. This is something I've been considering as a gift.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that home button being directly below the keyboard is really starting to irritate me. Is there any way to switch that to the top or at least lock it while I'm typing? I installed Swiftkey just to see how I like it and the slightly smaller keyboard makes things even worse.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
I know we had charger talk a couple pages back, but I'm a confused.

Had to make a monoprice order, noticed this charger and bought it: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10851&cs_id=1085102&p_id=8856&seq=1&format=2 I got a phone, tablet, backup battery, kindle, etc, this could come in handy at home and traveling.

The charger is supposed to be able to charge an iPad and many users say it can. But I can't get the Nexus to charge or even acknowledge it is plugged in with any combination of cables/plugs/etc. Every other device has recognized and started charging but not my Nexus 7.

I found a couple other USB wall charger things I got from various things, I have one that does .85a, 1a, and the one that came with the nexus that does 2a. My tablet plugs in and charges fine on all of those.

Any thoughts on why it might not be charging with this? It seems like it should output enough in terms of amps but it doesn't even acknowledge it's plugged in at all.

powderific posted:

Wow, that home button being directly below the keyboard is really starting to irritate me. Is there any way to switch that to the top or at least lock it while I'm typing? I installed Swiftkey just to see how I like it and the slightly smaller keyboard makes things even worse.

I got one of those split tablet keyboard apps, that adds a small gap so you don't have to reach as far to hit keys. Mine is called Thumb Keyboard. I think they charge, there might be similar free alternatives, or hope it comes on amazon deal of the day again.

With my configuration (you can adjust how wide the keyboard appears, and if arrow keys appear below the space bar) my thumbs are basically never over the home key. It's worked for me.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
It arrived! (Canada)

This long press zoom is pretty useful:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 25, 2012

alted2
May 3, 2003
Has anyone successfully replaced their Nexus 7 through the Google Play store? I filled out the website form yesterday and received an email saying their will be a delay before I receive a response; I'm wondering how long I should expect to wait.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Zarkov Cortez posted:

It arrived! (Canada)

Yeah that's pretty nice. You don't have to necessarily long press to have it do that - it pops up all the time when I fat finger over closely placed links.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

dedian posted:

Yeah that's pretty nice. You don't have to necessarily long press to have it do that - it pops up all the time when I fat finger over closely placed links.

Yep, basically that's what happens. If your fingers tap where two links are, it's going to zoom. That also applies to close radial buttons and a few other things, too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Zarkov Cortez posted:

It arrived! (Canada)

Did you do the DPI hack to get the launcher to work horizontally? I'm holding out hope that someone will find a way to do it without having to mess with that. :v:

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
It's pretty great feature and makes me wonder why no one else had thought of it, so many times I need to zoom in some where just to click a link

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Karthe posted:

Did you do the DPI hack to get the launcher to work horizontally? I'm holding out hope that someone will find a way to do it without having to mess with that. :v:

Nova Launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yep, basically that's what happens. If your fingers tap where two links are, it's going to zoom. That also applies to close radial buttons and a few other things, too.

I never noticed it on my GN, this is even better :dance:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 25, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zarkov Cortez posted:

It arrived! (Canada)

Can you link your wallpaper?

Also yes that zoom is nice which means Apple will probably litigate it out of existence soon :emo:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Can you link your wallpaper?

Also yes that zoom is nice which means Apple will probably litigate it out of existence soon :emo:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxelus.planetspacklivewallpaper

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For all looking for this sending texts from the N7-->SMS issue, here are my recommendations for Canada/UK and probably the US...:
* For sending those texts via your phone and using your texts on your contract: DeskSMS. Better for in-country texts. Then, turn the "deliver to Google Talk" option and send messages through the Google Talk client on the N7
* For sending directly, and you have money to use: Skype's SMS feature, set to send as if from your number. Better for international texts (usually cheaper than your contract)

And as for the cases, I went for a Case Logic LAPST-107 6 - 7 Sleeve (Black)... mainly because I also ordered the matching laptop case. I have to admit, I was very happy with my old Caselogic Case...

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
My local staples kicks rear end. The stocking manager wrote my name down after I told him about my broken screen. He called me today the second they got a shipment of 4 devices in the store and held one until I could go in after work. Apparently they should be getting small shipments once or so a week for the next three to four weeks and that's true for all us stores.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

If any of you are DIY types and itching for a good n7 case, you should consider making one yourself from a small hardcover. I decided to try it out this past Saturday and it turned out so much better than I thought it would. I was expecting my efforts to yield a sloppy case that would hold me over until I bought a "real" one, but it's solid enough that I might just use this until it breaks.

Literally took me no more than 20 minutes of effort.

• With x-acto knife, cut out pages of a small hardcover
• cut a piece of black felt to match the cover size
• get some black elastic (at any dollar store) and sew it into 2 loops, which you then thread through slits in the felt
• with spray adhesive or a good glue, really soak the hell out of the back of the felt, then press onto book

This looks nice but you may want something to hold the tablet from the bottom/top otherwise it looks like it could just slip right out.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

alted2 posted:

Has anyone successfully replaced their Nexus 7 through the Google Play store? I filled out the website form yesterday and received an email saying their will be a delay before I receive a response; I'm wondering how long I should expect to wait.

I sent an email asking for a replacement on Saturday and got a response with instructions and a link to place the order on Monday. I have no idea when it will ship though.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

oxsnard posted:

My local staples kicks rear end. The stocking manager wrote my name down after I told him about my broken screen. He called me today the second they got a shipment of 4 devices in the store and held one until I could go in after work. Apparently they should be getting small shipments once or so a week for the next three to four weeks and that's true for all us stores.

Sounds like some seriously stupid shipping logistics there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Wait, what in the flying gently caress, Lenovo has an insanely affordable 10.1 tablet with a keyboard dock that only costs $56????

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/24/3180609/lenovo-ideatab-s2110-available

If this gets ROM support, this sounds golden.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Fister posted:

Wait, what in the flying gently caress, Lenovo has an insanely affordable 10.1 tablet with a keyboard dock that only costs $56????

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/24/3180609/lenovo-ideatab-s2110-available

If this gets ROM support, this sounds golden.
This looks pretty promising.

I like that there's a company willing to buck the "16GB of additional flash storage totally costs $100 we promise :smug:" bullshit that Apple started and Google copied.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Syrinxx posted:

This looks pretty promising.

I like that there's a company willing to buck the "16GB of additional flash storage totally costs $100 we promise :smug:" bullshit that Apple started and Google copied.

Only downside is that i think Lenovo is not known for upgrading their poo poo to newer OS's, and i'm not exactly sure what type of ROM community would spring up around it.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Polo-Rican posted:

Thanks! But it's already falling apart. Either heavy strength spray adhesive isn't strong enough or I didn't put enough on.

As an update, I did this a few days ago and it seemed to work, but yeah, a day later the screen was back up. But we're literally talking a half-millimeter here. If I hadn't read about the defect on this thread I would almost definitely have not spotted it at all.

Mine has such a minute amount of lift that I doubt I would have noticed if not for the reports.

I have a feeling I'm going to return my N7 in a couple of weeks anyway. I only really got it to trial how useful I'd find a tablet, and although I'm absolutely loving it so far and it's scratching an itch I had for some new technology to play with, it's pretty much the definition of a luxury item. It does everything my SGS2 already does for me, but slightly better. I think I'd have to go for a 10" for it to be seriously worth it.

loving sucks to be on such a tight budget at the moment

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Only downside is that i think Lenovo is not known for upgrading their poo poo to newer OS's, and i'm not exactly sure what type of ROM community would spring up around it.

Ones that buy these tablets for their compulsive masturbator/gambler fathers of course.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

After all this waiting since I placed my pre-order on the 28th June, and not receiving a shipping tracking number, I received this in my inbox:

Google Play Store posted:

Due to mail courier restrictions, our shipper is unable to deliver to P.O.
boxes and APOs/NPOs. Your order has been cancelled as a result. You will
not be charged for this order.

Despite the fact that I entered a street address, to which I've had dozens of courier deliveries prior. Google, you dumb fuckers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Has anyone in the UK preordered & received any news about the N7?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cakefool posted:

Has anyone in the UK preordered & received any news about the N7?
I preordered the 16gb and I received it last week (19th). It's also completely defect free, so far as I can tell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ace, looks like I'll be on the phone to them at lunch then. Preordered 8gb on the 29th, no news.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cakefool posted:

Ace, looks like I'll be on the phone to them at lunch then. Preordered 8gb on the 29th, no news.
Yeah, it should have arrived by now, especially since it's the 16gb ones that they seem to have run out of.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Works fine on My Xyboard with the ICS leak and my Archos 80 G9 also with ICS.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, it should have arrived by now, especially since it's the 16gb ones that they seem to have run out of.

Right, you can buy the 8GB right now and it is supposed to ship immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, it was supposed to have turned up yesterday according to the nice lady on the phone but hasn't charged or shipped so they're looking into it. Not best pleased but it's only a shiny toy.