Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Is there a good strategy to use for getting as much intel as possible? I just noticed that I've never gotten the "acquire the vast majority of intel" achievement, and the achievement for not sleeping with anyone (like any good spy, Thorton just can't keep it in his pants). I've made a habit of always buying intel before missions, and trying to be thorough while going through the levels, but apparently I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Magic posted:

3. Not fussed about this in my next playthrough (I'm on PC so there isn't an achievement as such), I may just focus on action rather than exploration and collecting or buying intel.

The main reason that I suggested this is that because having certain intel can unlock certain dialog options and additional scenes. For example, you need to have a certain amount of Brayko's dossier in order to question him, which is necessary to unlock the subsequent mission with Surkov. Otherwise you'll miss it completely.

Not that there's anything wrong with just shooting your way through the game, but it's something to keep in mind for future playthroughs.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Is there a good strategy to use for getting as much intel as possible? I just noticed that I've never gotten the "acquire the vast majority of intel" achievement, and the achievement for not sleeping with anyone (like any good spy, Thorton just can't keep it in his pants). I've made a habit of always buying intel before missions, and trying to be thorough while going through the levels, but apparently I'm missing something.

Finding intel is pretty straightforward. Mostly, you either find it in the field or buy it from the Clearinghouse. There's a few oddities (you have to respond to a few e-mails in a specific manner, the hidden room in Marburg's mansion), but for the most part you just have to check every nook and cranny in each level. I don't know how much you need for the achievement (I'm on PC) but it shouldn't be too difficult. Keep in mind you can max intel for every faction and every person (except for any two of Parker/Darcy/Westridge) in a single playthrough.

If you need help, print this off and keep it handy. There's some spoilers in there, though I tried to keep them to a minimum, but nothing that a person who has played through once or twice should be worried about.

EDIT: Grammar

Lynx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 10, 2012

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I bought this game recently on :steam: and played through first going mostly for the Jason Bourne approach (90% professional dialog choices) and doing Taipei>Moscow>Rome. focusing on stealth/pistols. I'm really loving all the numerous possibilities most missions have in terms of people or events. My second time through is for most of the game totally different from my first. and reading this thread it still seems I am missing out on a lot.
the second run I'm currently doing I chose the James Bond style (90% suave dialog choices) but as a recuit. going for shotguns/tech and doing Moscow>Taipei>Rome.
But I'm already imagining my third playthrough as a Jack Bauer (90% aggresive dialog) veteran and thinking of going full melee with some SMG action on the side. Nevermind a fourth time doing whatever floats my boat at that time. This game, despite it's faults, is addictive. And deserves more credit for its amazing diversity in options.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Dossier

Spoilers of course.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm about to loving scream at this stupid game. I'm on the last mission and I can't get to the room where Parker is. There are a million billion guys in this loving room and they all can see me instantly and kill me as soon as I shoot one. Albatross gives me some line about "taking over the remote guns" but nothing happens! They still turn red and kill me.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm about to loving scream at this stupid game. I'm on the last mission and I can't get to the room where Parker is. There are a million billion guys in this loving room and they all can see me instantly and kill me as soon as I shoot one. Albatross gives me some line about "taking over the remote guns" but nothing happens! They still turn red and kill me.

Ignore the guards and try and get to the computer in the corner that needs to be hacked and then go into his room. The guards will just keep coming continually unless you do that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Qwezz posted:

I bought this game recently on :steam: and played through first going mostly for the Jason Bourne approach (90% professional dialog choices) and doing Taipei>Moscow>Rome. focusing on stealth/pistols. I'm really loving all the numerous possibilities most missions have in terms of people or events. My second time through is for most of the game totally different from my first. and reading this thread it still seems I am missing out on a lot.
the second run I'm currently doing I chose the James Bond style (90% suave dialog choices) but as a recuit. going for shotguns/tech and doing Moscow>Taipei>Rome.
But I'm already imagining my third playthrough as a Jack Bauer (90% aggresive dialog) veteran and thinking of going full melee with some SMG action on the side. Nevermind a fourth time doing whatever floats my boat at that time. This game, despite it's faults, is addictive. And deserves more credit for its amazing diversity in options.

Noticing any favorites among those choices or are you just having fun exploring?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Haha wow these last couple fights are so frustrating and stupid it's making me not even care what the end of the game is! It sure is fun when I can't be in cover for even 10 seconds before I get blown up by a missile! And I can't stealth past the guys at all and they just shrug off a bullet to the head!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Haha wow these last couple fights are so frustrating and stupid it's making me not even care what the end of the game is! It sure is fun when I can't be in cover for even 10 seconds before I get blown up by a missile! And I can't stealth past the guys at all and they just shrug off a bullet to the head!

Do you have Chain Shot? There's a reason everyone suggests doing your first playthrough as Pistols/Stealth.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

General Battuta posted:

Do you have Chain Shot? There's a reason everyone suggests doing your first playthrough as Pistols/Stealth.
I do! It doesn't matter because I use it to kill three guys and then I get blown up! Or I use it and it's on cooldown and then three MORE guys appear out of nowhere and kill me!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I do! It doesn't matter because I use it to kill three guys and then I get blown up! Or I use it and it's on cooldown and then three MORE guys appear out of nowhere and kill me!

What fight in particular are you stuck on now?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Hank Morgan posted:

What fight in particular are you stuck on now?
The helicopter.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
If you're in proper cover you're not gonna get exploded, unless your cover is something flammable. Just keep moving forward in between the sound cues.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does SMAA not work with this game? I put it on ultra and did the normal ini fixes but it kind of runs like poo poo and there's barely any reduction in jaggies

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The helicopter.

Okay. Hope this helps you. The missiles have a lock-on period that you should pick up on when ever you hear it beeping. Just move from where you are standing and they won't hit you. The guards are another problem though. There are only a handful of them but at that stage in the game they can be tough. There are two really good spots where you can hide from the chopper and take on the guards safely. At the beginning of that area where the truck is and at the bottom of the steps at the other end of that trench. Just set up a kill zone there to whittle down the guards. Remember if you have the brilliance ability you can use chain-shot and any other ability twice in a row.
One the guards are down you can focus on the chopper. Obviously enough just grab the missile launchers scattered around the area. You may not destroy it with all the missiles but your pistol should be good enough to wipe it out. You will be perfectly safe at the base of the tower located at the far end of the area.

This is the second last big fight. The next one is your final boss so I'll spoiler it for when you get to it. The boss may be different depending on your choices.
Leland. Just run to the left and go up the stairs ignoring the guards when possible and moving when he locks on to you. Follow the catwalk all the way around to the door. Either bypass the door with an emp or pick it and you will win the battle automatically.
Westbridge. Take the same strategy except this time you have to fight him once you get into the room. Just use all of your offensive abilities or special powers and he should go down pretty quickly.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I finally got it after dying a dozen times. The last guy was super easy as I just ran around waiting for chain shot to recharge.

I'm not in any super rush to replay it but I'm glad I went though it. Maybe in a few months I'll give it another run and try things a little differently. For this run I went though Rome/Taipei/Moscow and was generally professional and suave so I imagine I pretty much saw the same game as most people do for their first playthough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For any boss fight that shoots missiles at you, the best way to do it is to hide behind cover until you hear a series of rapid beeps. Usually being behind cover is best here because the vehicle will also be shooting at you with a machine gun this whole time. Once you hear the beeps, sprint for the nearest missile launcher. The vehicle will fire its missile at wherever you were when the beeping happened, but won't track you, and while it's doing that it will no longer be firing its machine gun. That's the time to shoot it with a missile and hide behind another piece of cover, ride out the machine guns, and wait for the next set of beeps.

For the helicopter at the end of the game, the best trick I found to deal with the soldiers you have to fight at the same time is just to go slow and steady. There are enough spots along the path into the main area where the boss can't see you or get a good shot at you that you can fight the soldiers one or two at a time, which is pretty easy and simple. At the same time, those areas have missile launchers and a line of sight on the boss that you can shoot it a few times before you reach the main arena and bring its health down some, just make sure you wait until it's standing still before you shoot because otherwise it will dodge a lot of missiles at long range and you'll get frustrated. Then once you get into the main area most of the soldiers are already dead, and you can use the boss fight tactic I just described to take out the big bad itself.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I can't imagine how people that had trouble with the helicopter fight would've fared with, say, a boss battle in Mega Man 2.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

evilmiera posted:

Noticing any favorites among those choices or are you just having fun exploring?

Well the exploring bit is always nice. The dialogs and routes you can take to accomplish your goal really make it a whole different experience. I do have to say I like the James Bond suave approach more than the Jason Bourne professional approach. Pissing off Marburg and being snarky about it is fun. He really doesn't like me now.
Plus you get more exposed to Heck instead of keeping a professional distance. Which ups it even more above the Jason Bourne approach. Even if other characters don't like me that much for being a smartass.

also, while chainshot is awesome and overpowered. Using a shotgun with phosphorous slugs and roomsweep just feels kickass.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I don't bother with the missile launchers on the helicopter boss any more, I just peek out from the entrance ramp and dump assault rifle on it until it beeps. It takes a few minutes but it's easy and totally safe.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
How do you find out you were sold out by Mina Tang? Does this change anything in the last mission if you find it out?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I can't imagine how people that had trouble with the helicopter fight would've fared with, say, a boss battle in Mega Man 2.

That battle is pretty rough if you're determined to be non-lethal like I was. If you come to the fight with no appropiate weapons at all it can be a pretty big brick wall in a game otherwise devoid of them. The fight with the sniper Darcy in that level was kind of similar, if for some reason you aren't able to get into the adjacent tower.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

How do you find out you were sold out by Mina Tang? Does this change anything in the last mission if you find it out?

The only way I know of for sure is to join Halbech, and Leland will tell you to kill Mina. During that conversation you'll find out from her that she betrayed you and you have a choice to kill or spare her. I think she also tells you herself before the last mission if you romance her but I'm not certain.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

The only way I know of for sure is to join Halbech, and Leland will tell you to kill Mina. During that conversation you'll find out from her that she betrayed you and you have a choice to kill or spare her. I think she also tells you herself before the last mission if you romance her but I'm not certain.

I think she also tells you herself before the last mission if you romance her but I'm not certain.

Almost right, if I remember correctly: you don't need to actually sleep with her, but you need to be on good enough terms with her that the possibility exists.

I also have a vague recollection that if you don't find out there, you have a chance when you find her in the Greybox during the final mission but I might be getting that mixed up with Scarlet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Finished Moscow again last night (was my first hub this time; going Moscow/Taipei/Rome instead of the Rome/Moscow/Taipei I did my last run). Last time I let him go, but this time, drat if it wasn't satisfying to nail Surkov in the leg all of ten feet from his helicopter.

I'm playing pistols, stealth, and avoiding at least cutscene killing as much as I can this run (I could probably switch to tranqs instead of regular ammo and be doing almost 100% nonlethal but sometimes I just want to shoot a dude in the head, drat it). However, this time, I am making one very notable exception - I am killing the everloving hell out of Marburg, and enjoying it. Last time I didn't kill him until the Graybox.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Had a lot of fun with this game (three playthroughs, going to start my first Veteran run soon). This thread inspired me to check if there was any cool fanart of the game, for some reason, and so I made the mistake of typing "Alpha Protocol" into a DeviantArt search.

After the fifth or so page of nothing-but-Sis, I'm forced to wonder "what the gently caress?" Where is this massive a creepy fanbase for a barely-in-the-game-at-all mute coming from?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Purple hair, I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I think she also tells you herself before the last mission if you romance her but I'm not certain.

Almost right, if I remember correctly: you don't need to actually sleep with her, but you need to be on good enough terms with her that the possibility exists.

This is correct but you can gently caress it up if you try to play it too smooth and do the movie cliche of trying to shut her up with a kiss.

It's standard movie fare but it's a horrible idea when your job is to extract intelligence from people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Purple hair, I guess.

She's like one of my Japanese animes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just beat the game.

Basically my ending was Steven Heck saving my rear end and then we boated away to gently caress up more poo poo. I realized I forgot to rescue Mina about halfway through that cutscene. Where was she?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's really easy to miss. In one room you go in and there are two closed doors, one on either side, and she's through one of those. Problem is, if you aren't watching out for it, you'll probably run straight ahead, and the game locks you out of that area :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Just think of it as something to do on your next playthrough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Psalmanazar posted:

Just beat the game.

I hope you listened to the newscasts during the credits.

quote:

Basically my ending was Steven Heck saving my rear end and then we boated away to gently caress up more poo poo. I realized I forgot to rescue Mina about halfway through that cutscene. Where was she?

The bit where the bad guy appears on screen to taunt you? There's another door to your left with a screen over it showing Mina that unlocks after he's done taunting. It's really easy to miss and the door in front of you is one-way.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ToxicFrog posted:

The bit where the bad guy appears on screen to taunt you? There's another door to your left with a screen over it showing Mina that unlocks after he's done taunting. It's really easy to miss and the door in front of you is one-way.
Honestly that was one of the bits that pissed me off about the final area more than anything. They tried so hard to make your choices meaningful at the end and then whoops you went through the wrong door, guess that means you intentionally left Mina to DIE! FOR BETRAYING YOU! AHAHAHA!

No, I went through the wrong god drat door. :argh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm trying to get the badass kick over the side on the Al-Samad Lieutenant, but I can't at the moment.
Last time I did it, I killed the closest guard when he came near enough, but now that seems to get his body seen by the Lieutenant who loses his poo poo. Anyone got any tips?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Psalmanazar posted:

Just beat the game.

Yeah I've been arguing to have this put in the OP for a while.

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Two Finger posted:

I'm trying to get the badass kick over the side on the Al-Samad Lieutenant, but I can't at the moment.
Last time I did it, I killed the closest guard when he came near enough, but now that seems to get his body seen by the Lieutenant who loses his poo poo. Anyone got any tips?

Hrm I always run over to the hut on the far side first thing and then tag the nearest guy at the end of his patrol path.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I've been arguing to have this put in the OP for a while.

Isn't that the bit with Scarlet? There's nothing to your right when you're given the choice to go after Mina - it's just to your left or straight ahead.

...or is there? :ohdear:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Isn't that the bit with Scarlet? There's nothing to your right when you're given the choice to go after Mina - it's just to your left or straight ahead.

The door to the right just has some intel.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to just describe it as "the room where you have to stop and stare at a TV screen while Leland/Westridge either taunts you or reminds you to kill Mina (if you took Leland's deal)?" That's the one thing about that room that isn't nondescript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, it's left. Going forward continues the mission/Scarlet, left is Mina.

• Locked thread