Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog
Anyone looking to do a trunk swap?

I have a 2012 WRX with regular spoiler and would not mind an STI wing for its ricey look. ;)

Southern NH Subie owner represent or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

draccio posted:

I have a 2012 WRX with regular spoiler and would not mind an STI wing for its ricey look. ;)

In addition to posting here, I would post on newengland subarus and nasioc. Cast a further net.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog

Slow is Fast posted:

In addition to posting here, I would post on newengland subarus and nasioc. Cast a further net.

I will check them out this week and post there. Thanks!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Southern NH :tipshat:

Yeah post on NES and NASIOC. You might find someone.

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010
What are the known issues and things to look out for in 2006-2009 STis, I'm assuming each model year has it's separate problems just like all of the others. I don't want to buy a battered car for $20,000+

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^
Pistons.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Napa Golds are cheap and are supposed to be the same as the Subaru OEM filters except much cheaper. I believe they are actually rebadged Purolators which jamal has recommended before.
Napa Gold is Wix

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$7 and change (:canada:) isn't so bad for an OEM filter at the dealer. Shoot the poo poo with the guys at the dealer (if it's a good place) and head out.

Figure it's always good to be a regular face if I want something more serious done there.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Sockington posted:

$7 and change (:canada:) isn't so bad for an OEM filter at the dealer. Shoot the poo poo with the guys at the dealer (if it's a good place) and head out.

Figure it's always good to be a regular face if I want something more serious done there.

This seems like a pretty good idea.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Wow.

So I found the source of my false knock... after nearly a year of tearing my hair out: A poorly clocked knock sensor. Yep, that 60 degree value in the service manual is real.

Anyway, I've tuned my WRX back up to 19psi and I'm getting ready to get the AFR tuned in, but I don't get one thing:

Total Ignition Timing = Base + Advance/16*IAM + Compensations + Corrections

So if I log my base timing, my IAM, my advance values, and my IAT and ECT, and the following is true:

-No FLKC
-No FBKC
-IAM at 16
-IAT at normal values
-ECT at normal values

Shouldn't my logged total timing equal base + advance?

My logs don't match this, even though I expected it to. Instead I'm not seeing my advance kick in until after 6200rpm :confused:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rocketmoose posted:

What are the known issues and things to look out for in 2006-2009 STis, I'm assuming each model year has it's separate problems just like all of the others. I don't want to buy a battered car for $20,000+

Oil pickup. If it doesnt get up to pressure fast or the oil light blinks once or twice at start, run the gently caress away.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Thanks to everyone who replied about the trans oil, looks like I'm going to be picking up some Extra S this week, especially since the rear diff needs serviced as well.

What's this about the knock sensor needing to be clocked? I don't have a repair manual yet, for some reason.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

daslog posted:

It's metal bent into a cylinder. What's the issue?

It'd like to keep it at stock-ish noise levels.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

This from the same people that brought you the Soundaktor: http://www.google.com/search?q=vw+soundaktor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

It's a speaker that makes engine noise!

And a functional (gosh darn Subaru!) GD scoop paired with a GR rear end. Also, I like pink under glow :colbert: .

loving VW, great job.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sure if it were the 90s the ad would be comparing it to a riced Civic.

The only difference is, Civics didn't come from the factory with between 10 and 50 more brake horsepower than the top-flight Golf at the time.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I did like the "unpimp the auto" commercials.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess the power of German engineering is making a car with significantly less power than an identically priced STi.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm sure if it were the 90s the ad would be comparing it to a riced Civic.

The only difference is, Civics didn't come from the factory with between 10 and 50 more brake horsepower than the top-flight Golf at the time.

No, but pretty much the same amount of power. Civic Type R and MK3 VR6, both something like 185hp I think?

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Oil pickup. If it doesnt get up to pressure fast or the oil light blinks once or twice at start, run the gently caress away.

I saw someone said something about a pressure/decompression test.. What is this comprised of, what is normal pressure/time for reference.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Leakdown test is what you would want.

An air line is hooked up to a cylinder and it has a gauge to measure leakage. Good numbers are 4-6%. If you have over 8-10% and pull off the oil cap you will notice a good amount of air coming out which usually indicates a cracked ringland. Sometimes a compression test will still come out good.

Compression test numbers for a 2.5 turbo should be around 150psi for a warm engine with the throttle body open. With one of those you are looking for consistency more than a number though. If everything is 130 I wouldn't worry. If three cylinders are 150 and one is 130 there could be a problem.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
So I brought my year old car in to get my clutch looked at, since it was having some shudder in the pedal ever since I had the throwout bearing replaced awhile ago. Lo and behold, they decided to take an image of my ecu, and found that I have an aftermarket flash. Subaru of America is saying that upon confirmation that it is not a stock map, that they will never honor any claims for my powertrain due to the excessive stress that the additional power causes on the clutch. What's funny is that the problem began after the TOB was replaced. That issue aside, essentially voiding my warranty is kind of an 'oh poo poo' thing. How hosed am I, and should I sell this piece as soon as possible? I'm more than confident a cobb stage 1 map isn't going to grenade a clutch, particularly when I've never launched the car, and I'm so ginger with it. Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is to tell me that I'm an idiot and shouldn't do dumb things.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just bought a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium. While I am happy with the deal I got, I'm feeling ambivalent about going for the extended warranty. I suppose I can justify that by getting as many free wiper blade replacements as possible over the next 100k miles.

That being said, this is my first 5 speed. I can get around fine, but can anyone offer advice on how to shift like less of a jackass?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

draccio posted:

What color/year?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

FogHelmut posted:

but can anyone offer advice on how to shift like less of a jackass?

Keep driving it for a few more weeks/months. It's a muscle memory thing.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I just bought a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium. While I am happy with the deal I got, I'm feeling ambivalent about going for the extended warranty. I suppose I can justify that by getting as many free wiper blade replacements as possible over the next 100k miles.

That being said, this is my first 5 speed. I can get around fine, but can anyone offer advice on how to shift like less of a jackass?

After you get decent, practice shifting without using the clutch. When you shift with the clutch you'll rev match like you would without and your shift will be smoother.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sockington posted:

It'd like to keep it at stock-ish noise levels.

I've got a Stock 02 Turboback @ my parents house in FL. IDK how bad shipping would be, but if you want it, i could probably work something out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Lord Gaga posted:

After you get decent, practice shifting without using the clutch. When you shift with the clutch you'll rev match like you would without and your shift will be smoother.

This is really dumb, and a very good way to gently caress up the transmission, especially if you're still new to driving a manual.

Just keep driving around, mastering a 5 speed isn't difficult it just takes some time and practice.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Blaise posted:

Wow.

So I found the source of my false knock... after nearly a year of tearing my hair out: A poorly clocked knock sensor. Yep, that 60 degree value in the service manual is real.

Anyway, I've tuned my WRX back up to 19psi and I'm getting ready to get the AFR tuned in, but I don't get one thing:

Total Ignition Timing = Base + Advance/16*IAM + Compensations + Corrections

So if I log my base timing, my IAM, my advance values, and my IAT and ECT, and the following is true:

-No FLKC
-No FBKC
-IAM at 16
-IAT at normal values
-ECT at normal values

Shouldn't my logged total timing equal base + advance?

My logs don't match this, even though I expected it to. Instead I'm not seeing my advance kick in until after 6200rpm :confused:

FYI, I found out that the '02-05 WRX logs a -2* difference between total ignition timing and the formula above, as cylinder 1 and 3 run a -2.11* retard compared to cylinder 2 and 4. Cylinder 1 is logged.

Anybody know what kind of timing a 93 octane 2.0 WRX usually can run on a VF-xx turbo? I'm seeing 19 psi at around 3500rpm tapering to 16 at redline and can only muster about 10* at peak tq and 18-20 at redline.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What color/year?

It is an Obsidian Black 2012 WRX.

Would prefer a 2012 Obsidian Black trunk lid with the STI spoiler.

Not sure if an 09-11 would fit or "look" right.

My trunk lid is the stock one with the regular sized spoiler.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

This is really dumb, and a very good way to gently caress up the transmission, especially if you're still new to driving a manual.

Just keep driving around, mastering a 5 speed isn't difficult it just takes some time and practice.

I learned to drive stick on my WRX and did this and my 5MT outlasted the EJ20's bearings. Its fine to do if you don't gently caress it up.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Keyword is if you don't gently caress it up.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

c355n4 posted:

Keyword is if you don't gently caress it up.

So dont gently caress it up, it is not hard to do nor rocket science.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

draccio posted:

It is an Obsidian Black 2012 WRX.

Would prefer a 2012 Obsidian Black trunk lid with the STI spoiler.

Not sure if an 09-11 would fit or "look" right.

My trunk lid is the stock one with the regular sized spoiler.

Your options are 11 and 12. There were no STi sedans from 2008 through 2010.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog
Well color me stupid for not properly researching. ;)

Forgot that there were no sedan options for STI in 08-10.

Anyone have an '11 or '12 that does not like their STI wing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanks for the encouragement. Is there a recommended cross bar set for the roof rails?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This battery tie-down...

:3:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I recently sold my 05 WRX sedan and am now looking to pick up something new.

I've just moved from snow county to Phoenix, so rather than upgrading to an STI I have been thinking about changing things up and test driving a 2013 BRZ / FR-S. Cheaper and possibly still fun.

Honestly I'm not super picky about my cars and the WRX was a pretty safe pick that I was always completely happy with, but before I move onto looking at the BRZ I was wondering if there's any pitfalls I should know about.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I don't know much but one early issue is the electronic power steering overheating and jamming up. Also, rumors and recent Subaru news suggest a turbo version may come fairly soon.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I thought a turbo sti brz was planned?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I don't know much but one early issue is the electronic power steering overheating and jamming up. Also, rumors and recent Subaru news suggest a turbo version may come fairly soon.

Eek. Is this "lose you ability to steer completely" levels of horrible, or simply "why is it suddenly so hard to steer?" levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Eek. Is this "lose you ability to steer completely" levels of horrible, or simply "why is it suddenly so hard to steer?" levels?

I have no personal expirience so I don't have a great answer. From what I've read it becomes very hard to steer, to the point that you may have to stop driving for a while. I'm sure there is more information available from people that know bette either in the AI thread or the BRZ forums (don't know what they are but I would bet they exist).