Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

xzzy posted:

IT admin at Fermilab here. Go-go government teat!

I'm married, so seducing girls is in my past. Wife thinks is pretty cool though, so I suppose that counts.

Ok, this is getting really weird.

I'm at Michigan's Physics department designing electronics and data systems for cosmic and high energy physics experiments.

Made a cosmic ray detector and flew it over Antarctica last winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

:smug: How YOU doing?

Bromance.
:hfive:

Edit in: Um... What the hell? I thought Jocks were supposed to be stupid? Since when is there a direct association with science and Hockey?

Lay person terms: The gently caress is going on here?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My girlfriend basically hates hockey. That makes hockey nights into drink-with-the-dudes night. I can dig it.

e: Also, when she goes to games, I play like rear end. I banned her from going (not really).

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 24, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oddIXIbbo posted:

Probably not that weird, there was a study a few years ago suggesting that the NHL has a greater popularity amongst "well educated, tech-savvy" types compared to other major sports. Income tends to be higher, and oddly, NHL fans spend a lot more money on watches. I have no idea why they studied wrist wear, but there you have it.

Maybe the cerebral portions of the game are more evident and it functions as nerd bait? :iiam:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

Probably not that weird, there was a study a few years ago suggesting that the NHL has a greater popularity amongst "well educated, tech-savvy" types compared to other major sports. Income tends to be higher, and oddly, NHL fans spend a lot more money on watches. I have no idea why they studied wrist wear, but there you have it.

Maybe the cerebral portions of the game are more evident and it functions as nerd bait? :iiam:

Holy poo poo. Dude, read what you just wrote and realize that if it were transferred into Football speak it would amount to; "Them Hockey guys are nuts. They like strange things that no one else likes. Like Stars, not celebrities, but like, the sun and stuff. Heh, we still get paid better though! Also, those guys think too much."

Out of curiosity, got a link to that study, or some google keywords at least? I'd love to read about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Out of curiosity, got a link to that study, or some google keywords at least? I'd love to read about it.

This is all I could find, which is mostly a page full of graphs:

http://www.experian.com/blogs/marketing-forward/2009/10/05/shopping-preferences-and-purchase-behaviors-of-nhl-fans/

I swear I remember reading a much more verbose article from the same company a ways back, but I can't find it now.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Why spend hundreds (even thousands) on a watch when that can be spent on perfectly good pads? :v:

oddIXIbbo posted:

I'm at Michigan's Physics department designing electronics and data systems for cosmic and high energy physics experiments.

Made a cosmic ray detector and flew it over Antarctica last winter.

You ready for *REALLY* weird? ATIC, which I guess you've heard of since you've done flights down there, is based out of LSU. The guys who ran it were literally in the lab right above me for years.

VendaGoat posted:

Edit in: Um... What the hell? I thought Jocks were supposed to be stupid? Since when is there a direct association with science and Hockey?

Lay person terms: The gently caress is going on here?

Sample bias again. We're posting on internet forums. Although with all the engineers and scientists in my town, half the league are PhDs. :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Sample bias again. We're posting on internet forums. Although with all the engineers and scientists in my town, half the league are PhDs. :v:

:v: I wonder if I could get a grant to travel the world and study this?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

JetsGuy posted:

Why spend hundreds (even thousands) on a watch when that can be spent on perfectly good pads? :v:

Casio got me hooked on G-Shocks :(

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

xzzy posted:

This is all I could find, which is mostly a page full of graphs:

http://www.experian.com/blogs/marketing-forward/2009/10/05/shopping-preferences-and-purchase-behaviors-of-nhl-fans/

I swear I remember reading a much more verbose article from the same company a ways back, but I can't find it now.

Hockey is expensive, yo.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

More than football and baseball? No way. The relatively slow pace of these sports makes them more apparently cerebral. Maybe more cerebral in general.

Not to say hockey/hockey fans are dumb, but it's such a faster paced game that it's more likely about reacting, while football and baseball players have much more time to think.

oddIXIbbo posted:

Hockey is expensive, yo.

This is probably our explanation. Intelligence is likely just a confounder for wealth.

EDIT: oddIXIbbo, how's D3 team coming along?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: Also, when she goes to games, I play like rear end. I banned her from going (not really).
Ditto!

My wife has yet to see me score, even though I've had plenty of goals so she stopped going for a long time. Now she goes to a few games mostly because her roller-derby teammates wanted to see me play since I go to all their games.

Though because of her practices she mainly sees me when I play in net, and somehow I'm not completely terrible in net when she's around.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

My girlfriend basically hates hockey. That makes hockey nights into drink-with-the-dudes night. I can dig it.

OK, I don't want to give you life advice here buddy, but if she ain't down with hockey, she better be smoking hot.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm no astrophysicist, but I study materials engineering. Talking about playing hockey (leaving out the "I'm horrendous" part) and doing hockey broadcasts works much better on girls than "hey so I did this cool thing where I figured out how to increase yield in a steel mill."

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It works better when you don't wiggle your eyebrows and offer to show her your increased yield in a steel mill right afterwards.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

coldwind posted:

More than football and baseball? No way. The relatively slow pace of these sports makes them more apparently cerebral. Maybe more cerebral in general.

Not to say hockey/hockey fans are dumb, but it's such a faster paced game that it's more likely about reacting, while football and baseball players have much more time to think.

I don't know... maybe the fact that so much of hockey is read-react, read-react, it takes a lot of brain power to think that quick? You almost have to think a few steps ahead because it all happens so fast. And by the same token, to be able to watch and follow the game takes more understanding since it's so fast. I love baseball, but it moves at such a slow pace that it's easy for a novice fan to follow. Enjoyment of a sport like baseball doesn't require as much... dammit, concentration isn't the word I want, but it will have to do. With hockey, so much goes on with line changes and icing and offsides and various penalties, it's a lot to try and absorb if you're new to the game.

e: And then there's this, too (courtesy of The Score). Hockey players are just more badass than other pro athletes:

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I made the "hockey is smarter" statement I was thinking mostly of the meta game that's going on. I don't mean to suggest that pros in other sports are brainless idiots.

But hockey is one of the few sports in the world where two teams can go for 60 minutes without a single goal, and everyone watching is on the edge of the seat. There's flow and momentum in each game that people who don't 'get' hockey completely miss out on. I think as a spectator it engages the brain more because things do change quickly and a sharp eye can spot them a few seconds in advance.

As a guy who's never been into actually playing sports, that really got me interested in playing hockey just to get some experience for how it feels on the ice. The technical aspects of skating along with the physics of getting a shot off, or the basic geometry of predicting where the puck is going to go is pretty interesting to me. Not to mention while doing all that you have to fill a role and pay attention to where everyone on the ice is.

Like I said, nerd bait.

To me, football is nothing but sweaty dudes slamming into each other, basketball is nothing but running around exchanging points, and baseball is just an excuse to get drunk. NASCAR is a regulated demolition derby and I don't know what the gently caress golf is.

So now that I've insulted every major sport that gets airtime in the US, I'll shut up. :haw:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:golfclap:

Well said.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Appreciate the incredible athleticism in all sports and you'll be much more entertained. Except golf. That's not a sport (by my personal definition which will not get discussed here because it is the dumbest argument ever).

Content: I haven't skated in 3 months and I won't be able to for at least a month more. I'm going to be so bad once I get back out there, but I'll be thrilled to finally be playing again.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Golf for me is akin to pool, in that it's more of a physics equation than anything else. Hitting a ball 300 yards and having it land within 10 feet of a cup-sized hole is still really impressive, but compared to the talent required to score in the NHL it's algebra to calculus.

Have some math:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWZIx4vZQlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W68bPm3oZS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG92IlZtW50

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Lawnie posted:

I'm no astrophysicist, but I study materials engineering. Talking about playing hockey (leaving out the "I'm horrendous" part) and doing hockey broadcasts works much better on girls than "hey so I did this cool thing where I figured out how to increase yield in a steel mill."

I literally get messaged from the spacecraft we operate 24/7, and all I get is a "thats nice". Mention hockey and their eyes light up and they mention being at a game once and liking it or something.

In conclusion - hockey rules.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

I literally get messaged from the spacecraft we operate 24/7, and all I get is a "thats nice". Mention hockey and their eyes light up and they mention being at a game once and liking it or something.

In conclusion - hockey rules.

No one in california cared that I played hockey, in Vancouver it's expected :( where do I live where people will appreciate my choice in sport

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

D C posted:

No one in california cared that I played hockey, in Vancouver it's expected :( where do I live where people will appreciate my choice in sport

In Tennessee everyone is very impressed.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

While I was interviewing for a job in Tennessee I had someone ask me to do a radio call. It was awkward and weird and I did it but I got the job. Too bad the closest rink is in Memphis, over an hour away :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Lawnie posted:

While I was interviewing for a job in Tennessee I had someone ask me to do a radio call. It was awkward and weird and I did it but I got the job. Too bad the closest rink is in Memphis, over an hour away :(

Wait like, call in to a radio show? That is weird.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Lawnie posted:

Appreciate the incredible athleticism in all sports and you'll be much more entertained. Except golf. That's not a sport (by my personal definition which will not get discussed here because it is the dumbest argument ever).

Content: I haven't skated in 3 months and I won't be able to for at least a month more. I'm going to be so bad once I get back out there, but I'll be thrilled to finally be playing again.

It's surprising how quickly it comes back. I hadn't skated in about 7 months (and was on a new pair of skates), and by the end of a public skating session it felt pretty natural again. Granted I've been skating for a long time, but it's still like riding a bike, it seems.

Wish there were more summertime rinks around here. :(

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

In Florida most people are impressed as well.

But then I tell them I make videogames and they usually focus on that instead. Their minds implode when I tell them I actually play on a hockey team full of coworkers.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Wait like, call in to a radio show? That is weird.

No I mean like they asked me to emulate doing a play-by-play radio call of a hockey game. I did a 5 second goal call and I felt weird as poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

OK, I don't want to give you life advice here buddy, but if she ain't down with hockey, she better be smoking hot.

Please. My standards are just fine. :v:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Please. My standards are just fine. :v:

Well, hooking up with a girl that doesn't like hockey makes me question it, that's all. :)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

When I made the "hockey is smarter" statement I was thinking mostly of the meta game that's going on. I don't mean to suggest that pros in other sports are brainless idiots.

I think football and baseball have more metagame than hockey. It might not be obvious to somebody watching the sport for the first time or somebody who never really builds interest in the sport, but of the major televised sports, these are the ones in which calculated, deliberate decision making has the most impact on the game: coaches, coordinator and managers calling plays, the center making line assignments, defenders faking blitzes, the quarterback doing all he does, the pitcher and catcher deciding on a pitch via a series of secret hand signals, etc.

There's a reason why NHL teams look for D-men who can "quarterback" the power play.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

There are some younger girls, but they tend to be super good, having played in college and poo poo.

:smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I always figured that the reason that a lot of adults who started playing hockey as adults are in decent thinking jobs was because they were the only ones who could really afford it.

Those of us who played as kids are just too addicted to stop regardless of finances. :v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's a hell of a lot easier to drop maybe a hundred dollars here and there over a few years to upgrade equipment that your parents originally bought you/came as a gift/etc, than to go "yep I wanna learn hockey" and have to foot it all in one bill, too.

I can (and will have to, I think) get new gloves and elbow pads for like $150 that'll last me another 5 years. If I had to buy an entire new set of equipment, it'd break the bank.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It costs roughly $1000 to get a midrange set of equipment these days. That includes all pads, a stick, and skates. Plus a bag to stuff everything into.

It is a pretty eye-popping initial price but I think people could afford it if they wanted to.. rolling around in giant SUV's or upgrading smartphones every year, you can't tell me people don't have disposable income available.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, gloves definitely do not last me that long. My gloves last about a year, two tops depending on use. If I'm playing inline and ice, all year long, theres a good chance they wont last 2 years even with a re-palming on the top hand.

As for gear, its rare that it ever has to be replaced all at the same time.

Gloves - 1 year, 2 with a repalming. After that, they smell so bad and start unstitching.
Sticks - Sometimes a season but they have lasted several years, and some a few hours
Skates - 2-3 years depending on how often I play. My inlines have seen 3 years, but are falling apart. My ice skates usually last a lot longer.
Shoulders - rarely to they need to be replaced especially in mens no hitting leagues
shins - I only replaced my old ones because the knee cap broke after 6 years of use
elbow pads - really unlikely to need replacing unless the strap becomes stretched and useless
Pants - Multiple years of use, unless the protection is compromised
Helmet - I have no intentions of replacing my helmet (pro stock reebok) unless it cracks

beginners should start with skates gloves and shins and move on from there as their skills progress and they get into beginner leagues and programs. Its much easier on the wallet than sinking in for hockey stuff all at once. After going through a rough estimate of my gear, I paid about $800 for my gear, and thats not including the cost of my pro stock sticks and helmet that I get for free.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 25, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do you use grip sticks?

They seem to tear gloves up really quickly, but now with some of the tufftek or whatever bullshit name they give these new palms on some higher end gloves, they seem to last longer.

Also, if people did regular maintenance on their gloves they'd last longer (sew over that small hole with a patch before it spreads, etc)

Playing hockey is about having a medium level of income and making it a priority. Like anything else in life. Most people don't make things a priority because they don't want them that badly. Money is often an excuse.

Which sport is more complex/metagame/etc chat is retarded because each game has their nuances and skills that you cannot understand until you are very good at it and few people can be very good at more than one. Golf included.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have grip sticks, but its not the bottom hand that gets worn out, its my top hand (end of the stick).

I generally play with the butt in my palm and that wears out the center. I usually use dental floss to close small holes and that extends the life a little bit and the floss doesnt really stretch or break down. Usually by the time I need a repalming, they smell so bad that I toss them in the washer (knowing the palms will be replaced) and it helps slightly.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
For what it's worth the top end Reebok gloves have fantastic palms that seem to last forever. Also they've come up with some material that doesn't smell like complete rear end after a year of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My top (left) hand's thumb is quickly degrading more than anything else, and I also use a grip stick.