Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You'll meet up later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm not sure what questions to ask of FEZ without getting spoilers in return (which I seriously don't want). I know there's something to do with symbols and deciphering stuff and QR codes maybe? I see symbols all over the place but I'm not sure which ones I'm supposed to be taking note of or even how to apply them.

I notice there's an artifact section in your inventory. Do I need to find something first?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

When choosing your elements, the more elements of a certain type you pick, the more powerful spells in that school you will get access to. Unless you go 100% with one element, you'll never see the most powerful spells of that school. Most of the time the spells are well worth it.

I thought that you only needed four pips of one element to get the best spells - four ranks of spells, each pip gets you one rank.

quote:

Frostling cities get bonus mana. Frostling units are pretty universally awful, Yetis are the only unit that can take a punch, and their ultimate unit is embarrassingly bad. At least their scout cavalry isn't slowed by forests.

While I agree, I find Frostscapers to actually be kind of useful as support units; they're dirt cheap, can attack flying units, and have a decent chance of freezing enemies, especially when deployed en masse. They won't win any fights on their own, but if you have a Frostling city it's worthwhile cranking out a few of these guys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure what questions to ask of FEZ without getting spoilers in return (which I seriously don't want). I know there's something to do with symbols and deciphering stuff and QR codes maybe? I see symbols all over the place but I'm not sure which ones I'm supposed to be taking note of or even how to apply them.

I notice there's an artifact section in your inventory. Do I need to find something first?

The artifacts need to be found and they are the rewards for some fairly tricky puzzles. Other than giving you some starting clues on how their associated concept works, they are entirely useless.

You don't need to do any of the QR codes or more obtuse puzzles to beat the game. Additionally, you can't do all of them in your first play-through anyway and will need to wait for NG+ to do many of them.

In NG+ you also gain the ability to fly even though the game never mentions this. It makes backtracking slightly more tolerable although not really.

Unless you absolutely have to 100% practice your cryptographic skills I would just look up how the writing system works and translations of the puzzle clues. Most of the games humor and writing is hidden behind them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

Trying to be as careful and vague about possible spoilers as I can:

Like everything else, the symbols of the game's world are square-shaped. Not all of them are part of the same system. You can probably figure it out by watching what kind of symbols show up in the game's dialogue and which don't. Applying them becomes self-explanatory once you decipher them.

When you find yourself in the forest, watch for creatures and what they're doing. Think about if there's something familiar about the situation, then look around.

Artifacts go in your inventory as soon as you find them, which can take some effort. Two of them can help you figure out the symbols.

There are QR codes and they're keys to puzzles, but every QR code puzzle has an alternate solution. If you don't have a way to read them, no biggie.

Don't try and solve every puzzle on your first playthrough. This isn't a "you'll only go crazy" thing, it's actually not possible.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Ulvino posted:

Got Jade Empire: Special Edition on Steam from yesterday's deal.

I like the idea of jumping blind into it, but is there anything I should keep in mind regarding character creation? Things like "don't make a scrawny guy with White Demon fighting style" and so on.
You get enough points during a game to fully max about 4 or 5 styles/weapons/etc, but you can save a bit by skipping Chi Damage for Support styles: that one only applies when you activate the drain chi for extra damage ability, and most of the time you want to save your chi for either magic styles or healing.

Transformation styles can be really powerful, to the point of making the game trivial and boring. They can be useful to keep in mind for rough spots, but start of powerful enough that you don't really need to invest point in them.

Stones that improve major stats (Body, Mind, Spirit) are usually preferable to those at affect minors, since they also boost the associated minors. The exception are those with special effects, which is more a late-game thing, and a few that give quite considerable boosts to speech skills.

That said, as long as you don't spread yourself too thin, there isn't a way to gimp yourself really. Almost any combination of styles and stats can get you through. To avoid failing too many speech checks, pick a Path and preferred type of Speech and stick to those. Charm usually complements the Open Palm and Intimidate the Closed Fist as you would expect, with the final one (Insight?) serving as the neutral choice. You don't always get all 3, so having Insight as the the secondary is a good idea.

Small hint: If you are ever in doubt whether a dialogue option will potentially give you Open Palm or Closed Fist points (usually painfully obvious, since dialogue is less than subtle, but there can be a few grey area ones here and there), watch your characters facial expression when you hover over the line: Good and he will smile, Evil and he will snarl.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 25, 2012

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Any tips on Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (the Vita version)? I am mostly new to Disgaea games, and have already checked the wiki.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Herobotic posted:

Any tips on Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (the Vita version)? I am mostly new to Disgaea games, and have already checked the wiki.

It's been a while since I've played Disgaea 3, but here's some tips for a new player from what I can remember.

Between New Game+ and reincarnation, it's pretty much impossible to permanently lose anything, other than maybe a couple unique items that you won't see until the post-game anyway, so don't worry about reading FAQs or anything until you've at least beaten the story once. Also, don't worry too much about the item world and class world until you start doing the optional post-game content, unless you really like grinding in those areas.

Feel free to make a lot of units and experiment with them, but you should eventually find 4 or 5 units you like using a lot and concentrate on those. The game is very generous with how many guys you can make. Feel free to use or ignore the storyline characters as you see fit.

Don't worry about getting 100% of everything in the game.

Basically, all of the Disgaea games are about having assloads of content, and ignoring the parts you find boring.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Any tips for Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone? I played most of the demo and I was constantly assaulted by bats and snakes with little success.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

1redflag posted:

There is an oblivion thread. This a thread for general starting advice, not bitching about how the game is or is not broken.

Agreed.

Best piece of advice for Oblivion is to build the kind of character you like to play and have at it. Explore the world and all the different things you can do. If something's boring, look up your side quest list and go head somewhere else. I made a a sniper, stealth based archer type with a little bit of magic ability and played the loving hell out of that game using just this one build. By the time I realized there were areas where I may have been in over my head, I already had 75-100 hours of amazing exploration and fun, so I figure that's a win for any game. The only time I was afraid the game "broke" was when I was stuck inside the minotaur painting and absolutely HAD to kill them all to get out. The rest of the time, I just played my character and left areas for later that seemed to be kicking my rear end (wil-o-the-wisps - fuckers). There was always something else I could find to do. I never finished it but don't regret playing it at all. Same with Fallout 3. I just enjoyed the quests and building my guy the way I liked him.

Any game that gives 100 hours of entertainment is totally worth the money. I think people worry too much about what's broken and stat points and forget to have fun with it. I see the same type of thing in table top RPG's.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Leafy Wall posted:

Any tips for Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone? I played most of the demo and I was constantly assaulted by bats and snakes with little success.
Adding to this, are sword swings supposed to be delayed? And is the girl supposed to handle like a lead slug? There's no way the game is running slow for me and I get the feeling this is intentional. I'm just really, really hoping it isn't.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I remember Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone being pretty brutal despite the cutesy art style. You have to memorize the move list and anticipate what your enemies will do. You can't just go around mashing buttons and hope for the best.

Just some basic things to keep in mind: You can always use the rising slash on fliers, and a combination of the flying kick and roll attacks on ground enemies. Arche benefits the most from the stat boosting items near the end of the game, especially the ones that increase her max MP, but you can use them on whoever you like without screwing yourself; Seems kinda silly to give one character all of them just to make the last 30 minutes a bit easier. Don't worry about having the best equipment, you'll be fine if they are a few towns old. Always always always keep a supply of healing items and status ailment cures. Make sure to stick together with your party members so no one gets overwhelmed. If a party member dies, return to a fountain or an inn to revive them immediately. There is no shame in running away like a little girl when you are a little girl.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

wil-o-the-wisps - fuckers

This text really aught to be on a bright green sticker on the shrinkwrap of every copy of the game. gently caress.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm getting to the end of AC: Brotherhood (Sequence 8), is there anything I should be sure to do before starting the endgame? I've done all of Leo's missions and I plan on doing all the Romulus Lairs before finishing, what about renovations and the various faction missions? Can I go back and goof off after the endgame similar to AC2?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 27, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Make sure you've checked your email and found an artifact in the walkaround non-Animus area, as those are the only things that you can't do in the post-game.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
The Wiki is awesome and not caught up with the thread. If I could make an account, I would update it. I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend.

I will email the guy.

Aafter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 27, 2012

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Aafter posted:

The Wiki is awesome and not caught up with the thread. If I could make an account, I would update it. I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend.

Did you email the guy? You gotta email the guy

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Help:Contents

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Hank Morgan posted:

Getting back to Far Cry 2. I have a few questions based on Act 2 spoilers

I just got past the mission where the factions attack Mike's bar and wipe us out. I know I'm supposed to get taken out at this point but what about my buddies. I'd being rolling with Joseph who was a real cool bro and he's now listed as missing. :ohdear: Is there anyway to make sure they survive or do they have to die at that point?

scamtank posted:

You'll meet up later on.

Well I beat it and all I can say is at least you didn't lie to me.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Present posted:

Did you email the guy? You gotta email the guy

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Help:Contents

I am the guy, and I got the email.

I read this thread every time it's updated, but sometimes I don't transfer tips from here to the wiki because I'm lazy with formatting:

When tips are formatted here in the thread in the "correct" way for the wiki, I copy them across immediately, because that's super easy. But if I need to copy across 20 tips and then space them out and add hyphens in front of each one, I usually don't do it because I'm a lazy son of a bitch.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Would somebody please tell me how to enjoy X3: Albion Prelude?

I'm not easily overwhelmed by a game's scope but all this, the lack of any real pointers, and the hard-sim qualities are just making this an impenetrable fortress. I always end up just messing with my phone while I'm waiting for the ship to autopilot between gates, even with time compression on.

Unless I should be playing regular X3: Terran Conflict instead?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

How exactly does the conversation/persuasion system in Deus Ex: Human Revolution work?

I assumed when the lights shine in one of the categories (Alpha, Beta, Omega), that was indicating that the person you're speaking to is of that personality type.

I noticed that often more than one category lights up, so some people are more than one personality type.

But then I used the pheromones and tried an approach that worked well with Alphas (Which the indicators showed me this person was, a little), and it didn't work.

Can someone give me a run-down of the best way to use the persuasion system?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Your brain computer is trying to guess which personality type this guy is. When they say something, your brain computer goes "oh that sounds like something an Alpha would say" and flashes the alpha meter at you. The more blocks in the meter that flash, the more sure your computer is about which personality type the guy you're talking to is. Sometimes people are liars, and say things that sound like they're an Alpha, but really they're an Omega, so your brain computer can give you false readings, especially if it is only flashing one block at you.

What you need to do is watch the meter as the conversation proceeds, and whichever meter flashes the most blocks, that is the personality type your target really is. So use those pheremones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually just paid attention to what bar I got the most, so if someone flashed 2 beta and 1 omega, I usually went with the beta response, a lot of times its just listening and looking at the descriptions of the pheromones, like that cop in the first quest hub during one of the sidequests, dude talks all big and bad so I figured showing Adam was a bigger hard-rear end would give me what I needed.

If its plot relevant conversation then read the description of the character properly and answer along those lines.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I just bought Xcom: ufo defense and started playing it for the first time. I quickly learned this game is pretty brutal early on. Any quick tips for a first timer?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RillAkBea posted:

Would somebody please tell me how to enjoy X3: Albion Prelude?

I'm not easily overwhelmed by a game's scope but all this, the lack of any real pointers, and the hard-sim qualities are just making this an impenetrable fortress. I always end up just messing with my phone while I'm waiting for the ship to autopilot between gates, even with time compression on.

Unless I should be playing regular X3: Terran Conflict instead?

You can crank up the amount that time compression speeds things up. I think I used 10x all the time. Make sure you check out the guide on this page if you're having trouble figuring out what to do.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nash posted:

I just bought Xcom: ufo defense and started playing it for the first time. I quickly learned this game is pretty brutal early on. Any quick tips for a first timer?

Officers are assets, recruits are consumables. Laser rifles own. Heavy plasma guns own. Reaction shots need unspent time units.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

scamtank posted:

Officers are assets, recruits are consumables. Laser rifles own. Heavy plasma guns own. Reaction shots need unspent time units.

I quickly got the feeling that I am going to go through a lot of recruits. Thing I hate is terror missions. If I don't do them immediately my funding is slashed. When I do send a team they usually get totally wiped out early on.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Go to them and then take off immediately if you don't want to deal with it. You'll lose less points then if you hadn't gone at all.

Edit: More ufo defense tips:

- Move systemically and completely clear out areas. It's the worst thing to have one enemy left on the map when you're sure you've checked everything.

- Never just send one person out on their own. They'll get killed and you won't be able to see the enemy which killed them. Try to send out scouts with people with high accuracy covering them.

- You don't lose points for environmental destruction. So if you want to take a shortcut, make one. This works really well with lasers since they have infinite ammo.

- Crouching's important. It improves your aim and makes you a smaller target.

- People are paid their full salary at the end of the month no matter when they arrived. So try to do your recruiting so that they arrive at the beginning of the month if possible. Also, if I recall correctly, salary isn't calculated for people being transferred between bases, so if you don't have them doing anything and are hard up for cash, shuffle them around.

- Sell whatever you're not going to use for a while. Unless it's elerium, don't sell that.

- This game is not kind. You will lose battles, you will go through lots of recruits.

Gloryhold It! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 28, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nash posted:

I quickly got the feeling that I am going to go through a lot of recruits.

Yes you will. Fortunately, the ones that survive will get increasingly badass.

quote:

Thing I hate is terror missions. If I don't do them immediately my funding is slashed. When I do send a team they usually get totally wiped out early on.

In general, trying and failing will get you a lot more credit than not trying, even if you completely phone it in. If there's a terror site you can't handle, land there, start the mission, and then immediately take off without even having anyone step out of the dropship. You'll get a negative score, but not nearly as bad as ignoring the terror site completely.

More general tips...
- Use the "reserve TUs" buttons to make sure your guys have some TUs left for reaction fire
- Try to engage in the day when possible; the aliens can see in the dark, you can't. Get used to how long it takes for the Skyranger to get somewhere and time it to arrive in sunlight.
- Your operatives can dual-wield weapons, but carrying lots of weight makes them burn TUs faster and using a two-handed weapon in one hand reduces accuracy. Don't do what I did and set everyone up with rifle+grenade to start with; have them carry the grenade on the belt until it's needed.
- Explosives are your friend. It'll be a while before you can blast holes in a UFO hull, but leveling a building that aliens are hiding in is always safer than going in after them.
- speaking of explosives, they tend to be heavy. Give the rocket launcher to the guy with high strength; it'll slow him down less.
- Save at least one of each thing you find to research, and sell the rest unless you have a use for it. Never sell Elerium-115 (you may not have a use for it now but you'll want as much as you can get later).

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

Centipeed posted:

I am the guy, and I got the email.

I read this thread every time it's updated, but sometimes I don't transfer tips from here to the wiki because I'm lazy with formatting:

When tips are formatted here in the thread in the "correct" way for the wiki, I copy them across immediately, because that's super easy. But if I need to copy across 20 tips and then space them out and add hyphens in front of each one, I usually don't do it because I'm a lazy son of a bitch.

It's not as far behind as I thought it was and I don't mind helping out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know I mentioned Dead Rising 2: Off the Record before, but I've installed it and it lags horribly in spite of my PC more than meeting the requirements. Am I missing something here?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Since I just beat it last night, some tips for AC: Brotherhood that I didn't see on the wiki:

-Focus your renovation efforts on shops. Not only will you have more of them available and larger discounts at each, but landmarks are far too pricey to renovate and don't give you a large enough return for the cost. The only landmarks you should renovate right away are aqueducts, as renovating enough of them opens up a side mission.

-Unlike AC2, buying paintings and equipment won't increase your income.

-Maps showing Feather and Flag locations become available for purchase in the post-game, so don't worry about missing some in the main game.

-Most items you find aren't required for Shop Quests and can be safely sold. However, you should wait until all the Shop Quests are available (there are about two quests per type of shop) before doing so. Or find an FAQ somewhere. Different shops will also buy items at higher prices than others- a Doctor will want that Jar of Leeches you've been carrying around more than a Tailor.

-Buy the Crossbow and the three items from Leonardo as soon as they're available, even if you have to grind out the money to do so.

-Speaking of Leonardo, visit him at the start of each new sequence (and after the first mission in Sequence 8) for some humor.

-After the Sequence 8 mission in the Colosseum, make sure you're set with your equipment etc. as the next mission will kick off the endgame, which locks you into your current loadout (until you beat it)

-Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get Full Synch on every mission! Full Synch simply opens up a few optional missions and 75% overall Synch will unlock them all. Getting 100% on a given Sequence unlocks a cheat code, but those can only be used when replaying missions. The game will cheat you out of getting Full Synch on a mission more than once, so just roll with it if that happens.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 31, 2012

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Any tips for Might & Magic Heroes VI?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Give-and-take with Dead Rising 2: Off The Record:

Something I Know
- Both DR2 games (on Steam, at least) have a known quirk of crashing at startup unless you set your sound quality to either 24-bit-48000 Hz, or 16-bit-48000-Hz. I personally have all my sound outputs set to 16bit, and after a restart, the game loads perfectly.

Something I Don't KNow
- Part of what is appealing to me about OTR is the sandbox mode, because... well, I hated having to use trainers to freeze time in DR2 to have my cake and eat it too. I know money and PP transfer between Storyline and Sandbox; does playing Sandbox too much make the game too easy?

And a question about Dead Rising 2 itself:

- Terror-Is-Reality: is it dead? The last time I played it would tease a game but then I'd be the only one in a game. With the release of OTR, has that changed significantly? A lot of the higher-end stuff had price-points that practically begged using TiR to grind cash.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MisterBibs posted:

Something I Don't KNow
- Part of what is appealing to me about OTR is the sandbox mode, because... well, I hated having to use trainers to freeze time in DR2 to have my cake and eat it too. I know money and PP transfer between Storyline and Sandbox; does playing Sandbox too much make the game too easy?

No; being level 50 just gives you more moves, more health, and more inventory space. Knowing the game's tricks is more important.

That being said, a 100% run is punishingly hard and if your OCD prohibits you from enjoying the game unless you get literally everything you are never going to enjoy it.

edit: One tip I have for you going through the story. If you want to rescue as many survivors as possible, you do not want to kill every zombie you see; it takes too long. Use weapons and only clear the densest packs that are obstructing your path and just run past everything else; use queens whenever possible. If you want to take your time killing zombies then you have to accept you won't be able to save everyone.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 30, 2012

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Full disclosure: I have played and beat DR2 to completion; my questions were more about how things worked differently in OTR.

As for beating DR2, I can't remember what percentage I did, but I ensured that I got the S ending on the first run thanks to trainers that let me stop time/dick around/ get everything I wanted to do. The game wouldn't let me play it the way I wanted to, so I adjusted things. :)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 30, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Terror is reality multi was removed from OTR, not surprising seeing as when DR2 was new it was almost dead.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Can someone tell me What to do in World of Conflict Complete edition?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

C-Euro posted:

Since I just beat it last night, some tips for AC: Brotherhood that I didn't see on the wiki:

-Most items you find aren't required for Shop Quests and can be safely sold. However, you should wait until all the Shop Quests are available (there are about two quests per type of shop) before doing so. Or find an FAQ somewhere.

Well gently caress, I'm like 2 hours in to this game and just looked up shop quests. So yep, sold a bunch of this poo poo already. Is there more chances? I sold a bunch of tomatoes, some totems and ivory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Blast Fantasto posted:

Well gently caress, I'm like 2 hours in to this game and just looked up shop quests. So yep, sold a bunch of this poo poo already. Is there more chances? I sold a bunch of tomatoes, some totems and ivory.

Shrunken heads are the only ones that are rare to the point of absurdity. Everything else can be replaced in time.