Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for this, I'm going to check this out. I'm not having much luck with speaker wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17155441

BBC story about the BBC World Service, and Shortwave in general. Very nice read.

lupus__x
Apr 19, 2004
Picked up a Grundig G3 for about $85 on Amazon. Apart from the peg-leg on the back breaking off (my fault, but tiny plastic nubs) it's been great. I use it in my lab, and apart from my Faraday cage office, the sound is excellent.

Tunes in to a weaker NPR signal with better content than my local classical snooze-fest station. Still can't get a decent ATS signal off RIC airport, but that might be operator error.

The time setting is totally obvious, but the day-of-week setting is totally inscrutable. AA battery charging is a nice feature, but do I really need to enter the number of mAh for the batteries? How's about you just charge them, Grundy?

Starting to think about a nice external antenna for some DXing, too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

March 15th, Radio Exterior de Espana is 70

An email below from Radio Exterior de Espana that they have asked me to share.
Please try and take part. Tune in on:

9665kHz 19.00-20.00 UTC English (Monday to Fridays)
6125kHz 22.00-23.00 UTC English (Saturday and Sundays)

==============================================================

Dear Listener

On March 15th, Radio Exterior will be celebrating its 70th anniversary and we would love you to take part in the festivities. If you are interested in sharing your experience as a listener of the English language shortwave broadcasts, by letter or phone,- we would call you- please let us know as soon as possible.

We'll be dedicating our March 15th broadcast to the anniversary and would like to reserve a special section to listeners -- your impressions and memories as well as the importance shortwave listening, in general, has had in your life.

Please send us a note and, if appropriate, your phone number and general time availablity.

Thank you ... many times over,
Alison, Frank and Justin of the English Language Broadcasts of REE
Corporación RTVE - http://www.rtve.es/

http://www.rtve.es/radio/radio-exterior/

englishbroadcast@rtve.es

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Unfortunate, but not surprising.

quote:

Radio St. Helena to go off the air
Posted on March 12, 2012 by Thomas
Though this news effects a relatively small number of people on the remote island of St. Helena, it is sad to those of us who enjoyed the annual challenge of catching the weak signal of Radio St. Helena on shortwave. In truth, for technical reasons, they have missed recent annual broadcasts. Still, it was a fun event. Would be nice if an annual shortwave transmission or amateur radio special event could be scheduled to take its place.

(Source: RNW Media Network)

One of the remotest islands on earth, St Helena in the South Atlantic, will experience big changes in its media this year. Radio St Helena, which operates on 1548 kHz mediumwave and for some years broadcast a special once-a-year programme on shortwave via a transmitter of Cable and Wireless, will be closing down. Its parent company, St Helena News Media Services, is being dissolved, and the final edition of its newspaper the St Helena Herald was published on 9 March 2012.

In its place, a new government-funded company called the St Helena Broadcasting Corporation (SHBC) has been set up, and will operate three FM radio stations on the island, one of which will be a relay of the BBC World Service. The intention is that SHBC will become self-sustainable within three years. It officially became operational in February, and will also publish a weekly newspaper to replace the Herald. The first edition will be published later this month, but the radio stations are not expected to go on air until the summer. Until then, Radio St Helena will continue operating.

The other current station on the island, Saint FM that started operating in 2005, was invited to become part of the new organisation, but station manager Mike Olsson subsequently pulled out of discussions. Saint FM provides a 24-hour community service on FM, and is also broadcast on Ascension Island, the Falkland Islands and Tristan da Cunha. Its internet stream enables Saints around the world to keep in touch with their families on the island. Former Radio St Helena station manager Tony Leo can be heard on Saint FM every Wednesday at 1500-1700 UTC. Saint FM also publishes a weekly newspaper, the St Helena Independent.

The resident population of St Helena, who are entitled to hold UK passports but have no automatic right of residence in the UK, is currently just over 4,000, but this is being boosted by the arrival of personnel from the company building the island’s first airport, which is due to open in 2015. It’s expected that the number of tourists per year will rise from the current level of under 1,000 to 30-50,000.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Thanks to this thread I ordered a G3 off amazon last night, really excited to finally get a radio.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The hits just keep on coming :smith:

quote:

Oh, Canada: Radio Canada International to end shortwave broadcasts, Sackville to be closed
Posted on April 4, 2012 by Thomas
This is another sad day for international broadcasting.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) has announced sweeping cuts that will eliminate 650 jobs over the course of 3 years. In a strategic plan called, Same Strategy, Different Path, they specifically outline their cuts of shortwave and satellite transmissions which will also mean the closure of their noted Sackville, New Brunswick transmitter site:

(Source: CBC-Transforming Radio Canada International)

In line with plans to modernize the public broadcaster, as outlined in Strategy 2015, Radio Canada International (RCI) will undergo a transformation that amounts to phasing out its shortwave and satellite services so it can focus on webcasting. This will account for almost $10 million in annual savings for CBC/Radio-Canada by 2013-14. RCI’s transformation is consistent with currently shifting media consumption behaviours, as well as strategies adopted by other public broadcasters.

“From now on RCI will provide multilingual service broadcasting in English, French, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin that strives to help audiences discover and especially understand democratic and cultural life and values in Canada,” says Hubert T. Lacroix, President and CEO.

As well, RCI will provide national and international audiences with online content in five languages (French, English, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin) instead of seven. The Russian and Brazilian sections of RCI will be shut down. This allows us to concentrate our efforts on what are among Canada’s largest communities of diverse origins. Following this decision, CBC/Radio-Canada will be closing its shortwave transmission site in Sackville, New Brunswick.

What this will mean

End of satellite and shortwave transmission
End of the production of RCI news broadcasts
Shutdown of Brazilian and Russian sections of RCI
Almost $10 million in annual savings for CBC/Radio-Canada by 2013-14

What it won’t mean

Shutdown of RCI

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

This is from a few days ago:

quote:

Radio Korea struggles to stay on air
Posted on March 29, 2012 by Thomas
A problem worth noting: Radio Korea has been having difficulty keeping their shortwave broadcasts on the air. As North Korea Tech points out, their domestic broadcasting arm is still operating:

(Source: North Korea Tech via shrtwvr)

Voice of Korea, the DPRK’s international shortwave radio broadcaster, is still having technical problems that result in entire broadcasts failing to make it on-air.

The problems began just over a month ago when some Voice of Korea broadcasts failed to appear at their scheduled times.

Now, a month later, the broadcaster is still failing to match its schedule. Today, on March 27, some of the scheduled transmissions were heard but others were missing.

[...]The problems have also hit the DPRK’s radio jamming operations, which attempt to block Korean-language foreign radio reception by broadcasting strong noise on the same frequency.

The most severe jamming is usually targeted at “Echo of Hope” and “Voice of the People,” two stations that are believed to be broadcast by the South Korean government.

[...]It’s [also] worth noting that the DPRK’s shortwave transmitters carrying the domestic service, largely for listeners in the country, have not been hit by such problems.

The problems could be technical in nature, perhaps related to faulty equipment, or due to an electricity shortage.

Curious, that these problems are occuring not so very long after the death of Kim Jong-il. Could it point to other problems with infrastructure under Kim Jong-un’s authority? These may be difficult times for those people living under North Korea’s repressive regime–= especially in light of recent food aid suspension.

Read the full article–and listen to radio clips of the interruptions–at North Korea Tech’s website.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Voice of Korea coming in loud and clear right now. I'm glad I can still get my commie music fix. :v:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I'm on the West Coast and I've just come across a mysterious message in morse code at 6320 khz.

-.- .-.. -... followed by 4 long beeps which I presume means the end of the message.

I translated it out to KLB but so far my internet searches have come up blank as to what that might mean. Any ideas?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Without checking Google, it sounds like a beacon. It could also be a placeholder for some other signal. Maybe listen to 6320 and see what comes of it?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I think it is a marine HF Pactor email service in Seattle. Looks like it's operated by the company ShipCom LLC.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is PACTOR encrypted at all? It would be at least amusing to pull someone's e-mail straight out of the air.

(Don't actually do this it is probably a really bad and/or expensive idea)

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Amtor and Pactor 1 are open formats. Pactor 2 and Pactor 3 are proprietary, and you need to buy a modem from a particular maker to decode even unencrypted content, so they could be argued to be technically illegal in the amateur radio service, but legal in the marine HF service.
Even if you might be able to decode the Amtor or Pactor 1 transactions, I think the marine HF service allows encryption of the actual content, so I suspect that you'd be able to see which ship/call sign is sending or receiving data, but not the content of the emails.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

nmfree posted:

The hits just keep on coming :smith:

I can't imagine that a facility that large will be completely abandoned. You think RCI will sell it to get some cash in the bank?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BigHustle posted:

I can't imagine that a facility that large will be completely abandoned. You think RCI will sell it to get some cash in the bank?

I'm sure someone would buy it if that's the situation. CRI leases a lot of time on that facility, and some other broadcasters to boost their signals into the Americas.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

MrGreenShirt posted:

I'm on the West Coast and I've just come across a mysterious message in morse code at 6320 khz.

-.- .-.. -... followed by 4 long beeps which I presume means the end of the message.

I translated it out to KLB but so far my internet searches have come up blank as to what that might mean. Any ideas?

To echo what others have said, that definitely sounds like a maritime beacon. I can sometimes pick up Japanese coast guard beacons that follow the same sort of format.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

comaerror posted:

To echo what others have said, that definitely sounds like a maritime beacon. I can sometimes pick up Japanese coast guard beacons that follow the same sort of format.

I found this, looks like Seattle Maritime, on 6318 khz:

http://qrg.globaltuners.com/details.php?id=21117

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Wow, you guys are awesome!

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
So, here's a question that's somewhere between a real question and a devil's advocate-style question.

My shortwave radio is totally kaput. If I want to listen to more shortwave, I gotta throw down the cash. So: why should I? More and more, your only listening option is local (American) religious nuts. While it's mostly been smaller broadcasters shutting down (i.e. Sweden, as I recall), but with the news of Sackville shutting down, who knows?

So, goons, convince me it's still worth it to buy a shortwave receiver. Moreover, convince me it'll still have been worth it in 2-3 years.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Given the choice, would you go with the G3 Globe Traveler, or the G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition and why?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

DarkSun6890 posted:

Given the choice, would you go with the G3 Globe Traveler, or the G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition and why?

The G3 has more features so I'd go with that. The G6 is a good radio also so depends on what you want. The G3 has the synchronous detector which can improve signals, RDS for FM stations, bigger speaker, overall better reception. You pay more for those though so depends on how hard you want to hit your wallet.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

DarkSun6890 posted:

The G6 is a nice radio. I have two of them and have no real complaints other than FM stations bleeding over into the air band if you're in a busy market/close to the transmitter. It's small enough that you can shove it in your pocket for use out of the house but still has an input for an external antenna if you want to put one up.

If you have no desire to listen to air traffic control, then it won't be an issue for you. I mainly use it to pick up the National Weather Service feed.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

WBCQ to send digital message over shortwave tonight
Posted on May 4, 2012 by Thomas

(Source: WBCQ on Facebook)

On Friday, May 4, 2012, during Allan Weiner Worldwide (8pm US eastern time, 0000 UTC), we will be presenting an experiment in the transmission of text messages in digital formats. During the show, we will transmit a brief message in MFSK64 format. This message consist of text that listeners can save to a file with an .htm suffix, then open and view it in a web browser.

The message can be decoded using a variety of free software packages. One such package is FLDIGI, which can be found at http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html.

Thanks to Kim Andrew Elliott, audience researcher at the International Broadcasting Bureau, for coordinating this test.

You can find the Allan Weiner Worldwide on 5,110, 7,490 and 9,330 kHz tonight (Friday, May 4th) at 00:00 UTC (20:00 in Eastern US)
I usually use Ham Radio Deluxe for digital stuff, but FLDIGI is good too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Got a G6 here. Is there a way to only scan memory stations instead of the whole band? According to the manual, the only purpose of memory is so you can select individual pages, then individual memories, all manually. Boy howdy, I can't wait to use 9 keypresses to select a station just to see if I can tune it in.

I just want this thing to scan, store in memory, then scan only memory. This doable?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

doctorfrog posted:

Got a G6 here. Is there a way to only scan memory stations instead of the whole band? According to the manual, the only purpose of memory is so you can select individual pages, then individual memories, all manually. Boy howdy, I can't wait to use 9 keypresses to select a station just to see if I can tune it in.

I just want this thing to scan, store in memory, then scan only memory. This doable?

Stolen from HERE:

Yes, you can scan the memories in any Page. If you are listening, say to FM band and want to check Page 20 SW entries, press vm/vf button on lower right and it will put you in memory mode. If page 5, say, shows at top right on say preset 9, all you have to do is press "Page " button, page no. will flash and using up/down buttons scroll to page 20 and press vm/vf button and voila you are in page 20.

A preset will show (if previously entered) then to scan all presets in that Page press and hold "Up" or "Down" buttons and after a second or so the scan will start with a pause then after 5 sec. will scan to next preset and then stop for 5 seconds then resume scan, etc.

You can also go from preset to preset by rotating the tuning knob or use the Up/Down buttons. To get out of Memory mode, press vm/vf button and you will return to your last tuned frequency. To stop scan just momentarily press up or down button.

Note, when in Memory Page, time will not show, but a quick press of VM/VF button will show time, if you want to check it, then another press of vm/vf will return to your chosen page and preset. I know this may sound a bit complicated, but once you have done the procedure a few times it becomes easy to manipulate memories, and it becomes intuitive.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thank you. Which button on the G6 is the VM/VF button?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

doctorfrog posted:

Thank you. Which button on the G6 is the VM/VF button?

If I remember correctly, it's the time button.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't see this on this page: The FCC wants to hear from human beings about ham radio use in emergency situations.

The FCC posted:

the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC or Commission) Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau seek comment on the uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio Service communications in emergencies and disaster relief. As set forth below, comment is sought on issues relating to the importance of emergency Amateur Radio Service communications and on impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications. Stakeholder entities and organizations, including the Amateur Radio, emergency response, and disaster communications communities, are particularly encouraged to submit comments.

Deadline TOMORROW, Thursday 5/17.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

PCJ Radio: Special shortwave broadcast to honor Radio Netherlands Worldwide on June 29

Posted on June 15, 2012 by Thomas

(Source: PCJ Radio press release)

PCJ Radio will present a special two hour edition of Happy Station Show targeting North America and the Caribbean on June 29th, 2012 from 0200UTC to 0400UTC (Local time June 28th, 2012 10:00pm to 12:00am) on 9955khz. This special is to coincide with the departure of Radio Netherlands Worldwide from shortwave and will be a tribute to what was once one of the most respected international broadcasters. A special QSL Card will be issued to those in the Americas who tune in on 9955khz. If your outside this area you can listen to the live stream on June 29th 2012 from 0200UTC to 0400UTC VIA https://www.wrmi.net. I’m not going to tell you just yet what we have in store. The only thing I will say is you will need to tune in.

Regards, PCJ Radio International

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Lots of stuff happening in the next two weeks.

quote:

Glenn Hauser’s calendar of shortwave radio specials and farewells
Posted on June 19, 2012 by Thomas
Since I’m travelling, I was very pleased to find that Glenn Hauser outlined the many special broadcasts and farewells over the next couple of weeks. Frankly, there are so many, I’ve had trouble keeping them organized in my calendar.

(Source: Glenn Hauser – DX Listening Digest, via SW Programs)

CALENDAR OF SW SPECIALS, FAREWELLS

Dates, days and times are strictly UT

MONDAY JUNE 18 +

This is the final week for Radio Canada International, probably also for CBC NQ 9625, and relays via Sackville. You may want to make an effort to listen more than usual before the Last Days scheduled below.

THURSDAY JUNE 21

2130-2145 British Antarctic Survey special, 9850 & 5950 Skelton UK, 7360 Ascension; or may be 2130-2200, and possibly on WED JUNE 20 instead

FRIDAY JUNE 22

2100 until 2100 SATURDAY JUNE 23 “MidsummerRadio”, special from Scandinavian Weekend Radio, Finland, low power on 25 and 49m; hard to hear beyond Europe

http://www.swradio.net/index2.htm

SATURDAY JUNE 23

1200-1214, final Vatican Radio English via Sackville: 13730

SUNDAY JUNE 24

0000-0059 Maple Leaf Mailbag, finale from RCI: 11700 via Kunming

1500-1559 Maple Leaf Mailbag, finale from RCI: 11675 via Kunming; 15125 via Urumqi, East Turkistan

1800-1859 Maple Leaf Mailbag, finale from RCI: 17810 Skelton UK (should be audible in NAm), 11765 Skelton, 9530 Kashi, East Turkistan

2000-2059 Maple Leaf Mailbag, finale2 from RCI Sackville: 17735, 15330, 15235

RCI Chinese, French, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese final broadcasts should also be June 24, ending at 2330* UT on 11990, 13760, 15455:

http://www.hfcc.org/data/schedbybrc.php?seas=A12&broadc=RCI

June 24 also appears to be the final day on air for Sackville relays of other stations. It is unclear whether all of these will be gone once the UT day June 25 starts, but assuming they are, listen UT June 24:

NHK World Radio Japan: English 0500-0530 on 6110, 1200-1230 on 6120; Japanese 0200-0500 5960; 1300-1500 11655

Vatican Radio: English 0250-0315, Spanish 0320-0400 both on 7305, 9610; Spanish 1130-1214 13730

Voice of Vietnam: English 0100-0130, 0230-0300, 0330-0400 on 6175

KBS World Radio, English: 0230-0300 9560, 1200-1300 9650; Spanish 0200-0230 9560, 0600-0700 6045; Korean 1400-1500 9650

China Radio International: who cares? Too many and plenty will be left from elsewhere

Radio República, 2300-0200 on 9490 [or only until 0000?]

1100-1127 Cartas @ RN, finale of mailbag show on RN Spanish 9895 & 6165-Bonaire
1130-1157 Cartas @ RN, finale of mailbag show on RN Spanish 6165- Bonaire
1200-1227 Cartas @ RN, finale of mailbag show on RN Spanish 9715 & 6165-Bonaire

MONDAY JUNE 25

0000-0057 Cartas @ RN, finale of mailbag show on RN Spanish 6165- Bonaire
0100-0157 Cartas @ RN, finale of mailbag show on RN Spanish 6165- Bonaire
0830-0900 Fiji Democracy & Freedom Movement, 11565 via WHRI, weekly

This is the final week for Radio Netherlands. You may want to make an effort to listen before the Last Show special scheduled below

FRIDAY JUNE 29

0200-0400 PCJ Radio Special farewell to RNW, on WRMI 9955

For more details visit http://www.pcjmedia.com

A bit cheeky to schedule this at the same time as RN`s own Last Show!

0159-0257 RNW`s Last Show special to ENAm, 6165-Bonaire [not 11640]
0259-0357 RNW`s Last Show special to CNAm, 6165-Bonaire
0459-0557 RNW`s Last Show special to WNAm, 6165-Bonaire; NZ/SEAu 12015-Bonaire

In case there are any further changes from the `final` schedule:

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/were-changing

Will Tom Meyer appear on this one? He does in Spanish:

1000-1057, RNW farewell broadcast in Indonesian: 17840 & 21485 Madagascar, 15300 & 15565 Sri Lanka; maybe also at 1100, 2100 [or June 28]
1330-1430 RNW Spanish farewell program with live video stream, including interview with Tom Meyer; repeated on SW the following evening on usual frequencies; see SAT
1400-1457 RNW`s Last Show special to Asia, 9800-Sri Lanka
1800-1957 RNW`s Last Show special to Africa, 17605-Vatican [audible in NAm]

1859-2057 RNW`s Last Show Special to Eu 6065
1900-2057 RNW`s Last Show Special to Af 7425-Madagascar
1900-2057 RNW`s Last Show Special to Af 11615-France
1900-2057 RNW`s Last Show Special to Af 15495-Vatican [maybe audible in NAm]. 2057 UT is really The End, for English

SATURDAY JUNE 30

0000-0057 & 0100-0157, RNW Spanish Farewell program [that`s what they say, unlike English which will end the previous night. Also check UT Friday June 29 in case that is correct date for Spanish too], 6165- Bonaire. See

http://www.rnw.nl/espanol/radioshow/cartasrn-en-v%C3%ADsperas-del- %C3%BAltimo-programa

VATICAN RADIO is also canceling most of its SW and MW broadcasts to Europe, and SW to Americas as of July 1. Presumably many of them will last be aired on June 30, altho the Sackville relays may have ended a week earlier. See

http://www.hfcc.org/data/schedbybrc.php?seas=A12&broadc=VAT

Many of the SMG transmissions to elsewhere are audible in NAm; also via Madagascar; and especially BONAIRE: 0030-0200 15470 in Portuguese, Spanish; 0230-0250 6040, 9610 in French. Since these are after 0000 UT, will their last day be UT June 30 or July 1?

2359-2400, LEAP SECOND, the 61-second minute on WWV, WWVH and all the world`s timesignal stations

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.dat

FRIDAY JULY 6

2100 until 2100 UT July 7, Scandinavian Weekend Radio monthly broadcast expected, not confirmed; see June 22

THURSDAY JULY 12-SUNDAY JULY 15

R. Hami, Finland, low-power special on 6170, 1584, 94.7. Details:

http://radiohami.fi/

FRIDAY JULY 13

BBC Radio 3 Prom Concert season starts, until September 8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

This calendar will be updated and reissued as needed

Latest edition: http://www.w4uvh.net/calendar.html

(Glenn Hauser, 1640 UT June 18, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I will try to record some of these, but would love your recordings if you catch them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Radio Northern Star: test transmission
Posted on July 3, 2012 by Thomas
(Via Cumbre DX and Svenn Martinsen on Facebook)

Test transmission from Radio Northern Star on Shortwave.

Starting on Friday July 6th 0330 UTC/GMT (0530 Norwegian Time/CET) Radio Nord Revival in Sweden will be relaying the programmes of Radio Northern Star in a long test transmission on Shortwave 5895 kHz in the 49 meter band with a power of 10 kW. The test will last until Saturday morning July 7th. We welcome written reception reports to Radio Northern Star, Box 100, N5331 RONG, NORWAY. Email may also be used:1000@northernstar.no.

For listeners outside Scandinavia we would also like recordings of the transmission, but please do not send large files as attachments to emails. If you want to send large files, send them on a CD to the address above. Be sure to include return postage if you’d like regular mail replies. Correct reports will be answered by QSL letter.

Radio Northern Star is an independent commercial radio station broadcasting on the web and available broadcasting platforms. Our website may be found here:
http://www.northernstar.no/

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Thanks for the tip. This is something my parents might enjoy too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's so depressing to see some of these stations going offline. I busted out my G1 for the first time in a long time tonight (holy crap, my first post in this thread was over five years ago) and could still pull in some of my old favorites, but increasing numbers are going missing :smith:

I see Passport to World Band Radio is long gone -- I've still been using an old edition from like 2009. Is there a go-to publication these days?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's so depressing to see some of these stations going offline. I busted out my G1 for the first time in a long time tonight (holy crap, my first post in this thread was over five years ago) and could still pull in some of my old favorites, but increasing numbers are going missing :smith:

I see Passport to World Band Radio is long gone -- I've still been using an old edition from like 2009. Is there a go-to publication these days?

I feel the same way. Sadly, shortwave is going the way of the dinosaur due to the internet and other mass communications. I'll be pretty damned sad the day I can't pick anything up on my G6. I keep hoping that as the world moves on shortwave will have a return to form, even if it's only more numbers stations coming online.

I haven't done much DXing this year thanks to my antenna hanging tree falling down in a storm, but when I do I usually use short-wave.info as my go-to site for broadcast times or to find out what I've got on the radio when randomly tuning around.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pretty much WRTH and Monitoring Times is about all that's left for print publications (and WRTH isn't nearly as good as Passport was).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Anyone had experience with a computer based receiver? I was thinking of trying out something new and the RX-320D looks kind of interesting.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
Well this is depressing. Man, I cant believe this thread started in 2007. Cracked the radio out this week, been really digging what I've been hearing. Tuned into radio japan the other night, heard a couple of Japanese songs and then they just started playing american music. FYI the japanese really like Bette Midler and Funky Town.

Also, the religious nuts are really upset about how the shooting in Aurora was a government brainwashing conspiracy to allow the people who want a dictatorship to take their guns away and take over the country. Quote: "Our liberal enemies are trying to take away our guns. They get a high from these things." (that quote was from a show called Coffee With The Ranch Hands)
Furthermore, do you know why organs have been replaced in church with guitars and percussion instruments? Obviously an attack on christianity. Guy last night was saying that some preachers are not actually preaching the word of the bible and are "in bed with the whore [of babylon]". Such preachers are the ones that say homosexuality is fine, and interracial marriage.
I dont know why I ever turned this thing off.

Anyways I was wondering about antennas. There was a time when I flirted with buying a sony AN LP1 but it looks like its discontinued. Is there a good cheap antenna out there? I've still never heard a north korean broadcast and I feel like I didnt give this hobby a go if I never do.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm using an android app called Shortwave Schedules. It seems to be working quite well. I've heard people complain that some of the info is wrong, but it seems to be working pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Les Oeufs posted:

Anyways I was wondering about antennas. There was a time when I flirted with buying a sony AN LP1 but it looks like its discontinued. Is there a good cheap antenna out there? I've still never heard a north korean broadcast and I feel like I didnt give this hobby a go if I never do.

I don't have much info about current antennas but I had an AN-LP1 (which I sold to another goon in this very thread) and it was AWESOME - I highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a used one.

• Locked thread