Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Oh man.. the search bar is gone in Safari.
This sucks. I added Youtube, Ebay, TPB search engines and used them religiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, I found one thing I'm hoping there'll be a fix for soon. Out of the three AirPlay devices available here, (two Expresses and an TV) only one of the Expresses has arbitrarily decided to populate the Output Device options when I alt-click the menubar item. They all show up when I go into System Preferences, so no big deal, but that's like two extra clicks!

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

Blaisedell posted:

I might have to switch back from Chrome to Safari now, they've made some nice changes with Mountain Lion.

I would do this, especially on my MBP:TNG (since Firefox and Chrome release haven't done a retina update), but is there anyway to manage tabs in Safari? I usually keep a ton of tabs open in Firefox or Chrome, but in Safari, you can only see a handful of tabs before the rest go into a drop down list. I'd rather have another row of tabs, or have them be the width of the web icon so I can fit more in.

I checked a lot of Safari extensions and installed a lot that I had in Firefox, but it seems no one uses more than a handful of tabs in Safari.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Hermi On Me posted:

I would do this, especially on my MBP:TNG (since Firefox and Chrome release haven't done a retina update), but is there anyway to manage tabs in Safari? I usually keep a ton of tabs open in Firefox or Chrome, but in Safari, you can only see a handful of tabs before the rest go into a drop down list. I'd rather have another row of tabs, or have them be the width of the web icon so I can fit more in.

I checked a lot of Safari extensions and installed a lot that I had in Firefox, but it seems no one uses more than a handful of tabs in Safari.

Instead of a ton of tabs, I just use open everything in a new window and use Expose.

Akujunkan
Dec 28, 2006

the vicious cycle
I switch Spaces all the time, and the delay in Mountain Lion is way, way too long because it does this gradual slide instead of quick snap. Any ideas how to make that quicker?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Don't think I saw it mentioned here, but looks like the iWork suite has just gotten updates to '09 to include Dictation, iCloud and Retina/ML support. Good news for people who already had '09, and seems like a signal of no '12 (or whatever) anytime soon.

eames
May 9, 2009

15 minutes into the ML experience, I already have two questions:

1. Is there any news on the Powernap feature? I don’t see it mentioned anywhere, so I assume we have to wait for an EFI update to enable it.

2. How the heck do I stop the obnoxious password-saving prompts in Safari?

eames fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 11, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bob Morales posted:

Detailed directions if anyone is wondering how to create a USB install stick (or DVD) for Mountain Lion:

http://eggfreckles.net/notes/installing-mountain-lion-clean/

My wife got on of the new Airs, can I make a USB Install stick based on her free version of Mountain Lion and install that on my Mac Pro?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eames posted:

1. Is there any news on the Powernap feature? I don’t see it mentioned anywhere, so I assume we have to wait for an EFI update to enable it.
It's there but only supported on a small number or models. For example, it shows up for my 2011 Air, but not my 2010 iMac.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So, wasn't I supposed to be able to get a free ML upgrade if I purchased a mac in June? I got a new mid-2012 Air on June 21st but I don't see how I can redeem this. Am I an idiot or what. I know it's only 20 bucks and I don't mind paying it, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks and I'd rather save it if I can.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ramadu posted:

So, wasn't I supposed to be able to get a free ML upgrade if I purchased a mac in June? I got a new mid-2012 Air on June 21st but I don't see how I can redeem this. Am I an idiot or what. I know it's only 20 bucks and I don't mind paying it, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks and I'd rather save it if I can.
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

It's in the OP as well...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Welp, sorry. I didn't look at the OP since I did that a month or 2 ago when looking at new laptops. My bad, thanks for the quick response!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I got my Up-To-Date code, but the App Store says it's already been used. Starts with a 7. Should I try contacting Applecare, or what?

eames
May 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's there but only supported on a small number or models. For example, it shows up for my 2011 Air, but not my 2010 iMac.

Interesting. So it’s out there, just not enabled for all (supposedly supported?) machines.
I have ML on this mid-2011 13" MBA and see no such option, although System Preferences highlights the Energy Saver prefpane when I search for "Power Nap".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

serewit posted:

I got my Up-To-Date code, but the App Store says it's already been used. Starts with a 7. Should I try contacting Applecare, or what?
Probably just wait to redeem it.

eames posted:

Interesting. So its out there, just not enabled for all (supposedly supported?) machines.
I have ML on this mid-2011 13" MBA and see no such option, although System Preferences highlights the Energy Saver prefpane when I search for "Power Nap".
Weird. Maybe my machine got an EFI update during the Developer Previews that I don't remember. I know Power Nap was enabled on one of the later updates, so maybe that did something to my machine.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

eames posted:

Interesting. So it’s out there, just not enabled for all (supposedly supported?) machines.

I read somewhere, I think on The Verge, that it's only enabled on the retina MBP and 2012 macbook airs. Maybe that's a "safety" margin in there, and perhaps you bought your air earlier than SWSP?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I think it's only for laptops as my 2011 iMac also does not show it but the 2012 Air does.

Also I guess Apple is having a backlog? I submitted my request for my upgrade 4 hours ago and haven't heard a peep.

eames
May 9, 2009

geonetix posted:

I read somewhere, I think on The Verge, that it's only enabled on the retina MBP and 2012 macbook airs. Maybe that's a "safety" margin in there, and perhaps you bought your air earlier than SWSP?

I don’t think so, since the minimum system requirements for Power Nap were changed from "all flash-based Macs" to "2010 Macbook Air" in the developer preview to "mid-2011 Macbook Air" in the release version. This is a mid-2011.

See: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

An EFI update seems like the most plausible explaination for this. SWSP, what Boot ROM/SMC version numbers do you have in your system information?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Astro7x posted:

My wife got on of the new Airs, can I make a USB Install stick based on her free version of Mountain Lion and install that on my Mac Pro?

Not sure, try it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why doesn't Apple do a torrent and then just authenticate to the App store? It might make everyone quit bitching about how slow the downloads are.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I bought my MBP Retina 5 days ago and don't have the powernap option.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You need to have a built-in flash drive in order to use PowerNap, and it has to be a mid-2011 Air or Retina Display. Presumably an Apple-provided drive; I'll test it on my Samsung 830 and mid-2009 MacBook just for kicks.

I'm really liking the new Calendar app. Almost makes me want to kick Outlook 2011 to the curb.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 25, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

You need to have a built-in flash drive in order to use PowerNap. Presumably an Apple-provided drive; I'll test it on my Samsung 830 and mid-2009 MacBook just for kicks.

Upon further inspection it is in fact not listed on my 2012 MBA. So yeah, likely an EFI update of some sorts.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Maybe it's just me, I don't know... but I've been using the ML GM since it came out and it seems like Safari is really sluggish on sites heavy in Javascript on both my i3 iMac w/8GB RAM and my 2011 Air w/4GB. For example, Facebook is really slow scrolling, and G+ is even more unusable than normal. Other than that, everything seems fairly quick.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have a Mid-2011 MBA that has Power Nap enabled and got the developer EFI update. My versions are:

Boot ROM: MBA41.0077.B0F
SMC: 1.73f64

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

You need to have a built-in flash drive in order to use PowerNap, and it has to be a mid-2011 Air or Retina
Right. That's why I said "small number of models." Also the latter ensures the former.

eames posted:

An EFI update seems like the most plausible explaination for this. SWSP, what Boot ROM/SMC version numbers do you have in your system information?
Boot ROM: MBA41.0077.B0F
SMC: 1.73f64

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 25, 2012

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I've now got ML runnning on 3 computers and I have a couple of questions.

Is there really no way to get Notes syncing with my iphone without using a @me.com icloud address? Everything else syncs fine but not notes.

Messages for iOS - apart from changing my iphone's caller ID to be my email address (which causes problems when someone is in an area where they can only get 2g signal and can't get the imessages) is there now way to get messages on my iPhone to sync? Basically, I want to set my caller ID on my computer to my phone number.

RSS support is gone from Safari - what good (preferably App Store) RSS readers support Authenticated RSS (ie I need to log into a website first)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nuntius posted:

Is there really no way to get Notes syncing with my iphone without using a @me.com icloud address? Everything else syncs fine but not notes.
Nope. Just take the free email address to enable syncing and never check it. It's completely transparent at that point. What's the big deal?

Nuntius posted:

Messages for iOS - apart from changing my iphone's caller ID to be my email address (which causes problems when someone is in an area where they can only get 2g signal and can't get the imessages) is there now way to get messages on my iPhone to sync? Basically, I want to set my caller ID on my computer to my phone number.
Not until iOS 6 launches.

Nuntius posted:

RSS support is gone from Safari - what good (preferably App Store) RSS readers support Authenticated RSS (ie I need to log into a website first)
Probably Reeder.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Nope. Just take the free email address to enable syncing and never check it. It's completely transparent at that point. What's the big deal?

Well, as I understand it I can only have one iCloud account active on my iPhone, so if I have iCloud set to @gmail.com , and then I add an @me.com just for Notes, am I going to have to switch everything to @me.com?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm having trouble with playing some movies, my setup is this:

Windows Home Server (2003 based one), serving x264 video to my iMac (works fine on Windows machines, no choppiness) which is from 2008, runs 10.7.4 and I play them in Movist 1.2.0.

Some of the time the video gets choppy and the sound stops and starts. The things I check for are: something using high CPU in activity monitor (sometimes that happens), Time Machine backing up (I stop it), something going on on the server (I stop it). However there are times when none of these things are happening, yet it still runs slowly. The server is linked by gigabit ethernet which hasn't had any problems that I've been able to discern.

What else could cause such problems?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I understand that in Lion's Safari you were able to resize the width of pages in individual tabs while in fullscreen mode by dragging edges. I can't do this in ML, is this feature gone now?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Akujunkan posted:

I switch Spaces all the time, and the delay in Mountain Lion is way, way too long because it does this gradual slide instead of quick snap. Any ideas how to make that quicker?

This bugs me as well (in Lion), a few weeks ago I looked around and the Internet consensus seems to be that there isn't a way to make it faster. You can increase the speed of the Mission Control transition (the swipe up) but not the side to side transition. Maybe there's something in ML that has changed but I somehow doubt it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Right. That's why I said "small number of models." Also the latter ensures the former.

Thank you. Looks like your System Managment Controller (part of EFI) is updated.
I have the (officially) latest 1.73f63, yours is 1.73f64.

That might also be the reason why my developer MBA (2010) died a sudden death after it completely ran out of battery. Wrong EFI for the OS, who knows.

PS: You probably want to crop/edit that screenshot to hide your Serial and UUID. :tinfoil:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I've been waiting about an hour and still no uptodate email :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eames posted:

PS: You probably want to crop/edit that screenshot to hide your Serial and UUID. :tinfoil:
I considered it, but what could anyone do with it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just got ML from the app store on my 2011 MBA and saved the installer to a usb stick so I can upgrade my mid 2007 iMac and 2011 Mini without having to wait for it to download again for those 2 machines. My question is this: is the installer a universal, or are they machine-specific? I just want to make sure that I don't gently caress things up a bit.

Also, is there a site to find out how much my aforementioned 2007 imac is worth on the market? I really would rather just get rid of it and buy a thunderbolt display for my MBA to dock with; the old imac is really showing it's age these days and I'm not needing it as much as I used to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Also, is there a site to find out how much my aforementioned 2007 imac is worth on the market? I really would rather just get rid of it and buy a thunderbolt display for my MBA to dock with; the old imac is really showing it's age these days and I'm not needing it as much as I used to.

Look them up on eBay/craigslist

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Anjow posted:

I'm having trouble with playing some movies, my setup is this:

Windows Home Server (2003 based one), serving x264 video to my iMac (works fine on Windows machines, no choppiness) which is from 2008, runs 10.7.4 and I play them in Movist 1.2.0.

Some of the time the video gets choppy and the sound stops and starts. The things I check for are: something using high CPU in activity monitor (sometimes that happens), Time Machine backing up (I stop it), something going on on the server (I stop it). However there are times when none of these things are happening, yet it still runs slowly. The server is linked by gigabit ethernet which hasn't had any problems that I've been able to discern.

What else could cause such problems?

How powerful is your iMac? What resolution are the videos?

On my older macbook pro most 720p videos were great. Some 1080p videos were fine, for others it was really choppy. The reason was that the CPU was not powerful enough to decode some of the frames quick enough. Typically it would get choppy where the image was complex, like someone walking through a jungle with lots of leaves and poo poo.

If thats not it, you can try and re-encode some of your x264 using handbrake. Don't make it smaller, just run it through with the apple tv profile and set it to 1080p. I have had some x264 videos that were real funky but fine on windows, worked great after I re-encoded.

The last thing would be your network. On wireless I have issues streaming to my apple tv from ps3 media server. Wired 100mb ethernet fixed that. You have gigabit, but perhaps you have a lovely connection or interference? Maybe run some pings and see if you are dropping packets, or maybe move your mini right by the PC and try different cables or a different switch or something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eBay/Craigslist are usually wildly varying. I remember at one time there was a general pricing guide that seemed to be accurate, but I don't remember what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

So apparently you can't install command line tools in xcode anymore without on-line authorization, which in my case fails. Even while all the files are already on my disk. Just somewhere else.

This is an unwelcome surprise that's going to lead to a shoddy setup of development tools outside of xcode. Any of you know why my account wouldn't allow for installing command-line-tools?