Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone with Mirena get period cramps without the period?

I'm having somewhat steady low-level (but still unpleasant) cramps that feel period-ish but no period.

I'm just a bit worried about the cramping 2 weeks after insertion. Most things I read seem to say it's "settling", but it still worries me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Geolicious posted:

I'm having somewhat steady low-level (but still unpleasant) cramps that feel period-ish but no period.

I'm just a bit worried about the cramping 2 weeks after insertion. Most things I read seem to say it's "settling", but it still worries me.

You said yourself that your gyno warned about cramps for up to 6 weeks later, didn't you? I'll have had it for a month tomorrow and I'm still getting cramps here and there. I'd say it was just period cramps cause I just finished mine (I suppose I did at any rate, I'm back down to just getting brown discharge which was the same as the after-insertion-but-before-period stuff...) but I typically don't cramp during my period after the first day so I'm going to assume it was Mirena-related. I'd say call them if you're worried about it, but if you aren't and it's not too painful then you should be fine?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

BlueOccamy posted:

You said yourself that your gyno warned about cramps for up to 6 weeks later, didn't you? I'll have had it for a month tomorrow and I'm still getting cramps here and there. I'd say it was just period cramps cause I just finished mine (I suppose I did at any rate, I'm back down to just getting brown discharge which was the same as the after-insertion-but-before-period stuff...) but I typically don't cramp during my period after the first day so I'm going to assume it was Mirena-related. I'd say call them if you're worried about it, but if you aren't and it's not too painful then you should be fine?

She said spotting for 6 to 8 weeks, nothing about cramping.

I'm taking ibu and I'm not bleeding at all, so if it gets more than ibu can handle or I start bleeding, I'll call. I'm not all :supaburn: worried, I'm willing to buy to "settling" answer, I'm just paranoid about it all in general. The 18th is my placement check.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Geolicious posted:

Yes.

In fact, I am here to ask about long-term cramping issues with Mirena. I had my IUD inserted last June. I would occasionally get a 'twinge' of a cramp now and again between periods and forget about it almost instantly. Its been 2 weeks since my last period, but last night I had the most painful cramps of my life, to the point where I could not sleep at all. Taking over the counter Advil and Ibuprofen did not help. I checked the string and everything feels the same. There was no discharge of any kind, including blood. I did start swimming daily. Is this the sort of thing that just happens to some women?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've been able to manage OK with ibu. Since a couple of those knock out the pain, I'm not *too* worried. But, I've still gotten a few "OMGeezus" sharp ones the last few days. As I type this, I'm having some pretty unpleasant ones that radiate down into my legs.

What keeps me worried is that I can't check on it. I can't reach my cervix to make sure it's OK. I think I am going to have to get my own drat speculum.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Geolicious posted:

I've been able to manage OK with ibu. Since a couple of those knock out the pain, I'm not *too* worried. But, I've still gotten a few "OMGeezus" sharp ones the last few days. As I type this, I'm having some pretty unpleasant ones that radiate down into my legs.

I had the Mirena, after my son was born 10 years ago. What you mentioned is the reason I had it removed. Every month, when my period would normally arrive, I would get cramps but no bleeding. And yeah, it radiated down my legs. Not having to deal with ungodly bleeding wasn't worth it for me if I still had to deal with cramps-from-hell.I've had friends who started out cramping badly for months on Mirena and then nothing after that...and the other way around. After trying every other non-permanent birth control known to man, I finally found a pill that made me love it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't care if it hurts every single day I have it in. I'd rather have cramps than a pregnancy. I just want to know it's still in there OK and isn't trying to get out.

It isn't "time" for my period yet. If I had stayed on the pill it would have come on the 18th. So, it still may. I didn't really continue having one after I had it put in, but the pill made it so light anyhow. If I get cramps and no bleeding, I don't think I'll be upset.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Geolicious posted:

I really don't care if it hurts every single day I have it in. I'd rather have cramps than a pregnancy. I just want to know it's still in there OK and isn't trying to get out.

It isn't "time" for my period yet. If I had stayed on the pill it would have come on the 18th. So, it still may. I didn't really continue having one after I had it put in, but the pill made it so light anyhow. If I get cramps and no bleeding, I don't think I'll be upset.

I had the Mirena for almost two years ending last year, and I had pain in mostly my right ovary nearly every waking moment since the insertion. I had ultrasounds, exams, and various people feeling my insides. No cysts, pregnancies, weird placement issues, or periods, but just pain. That, along with major hair loss, ended up being the reason why I got it removed. The Mirena is magic because I didn't get pregnant and didn't have periods, but drat was it painful. Good luck, Geolicious.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had zero cramping yesterday and have had no cramping so far today.

AND... I think I got my period today. I only spotted for 3 days after insertion instead of my period continuing. Today is definitely more period colored (for me), a little heavier than spotting, a little clotty. I'm curious to see how this goes. Hopefully nothing tragic happens with my tampons.

Hopefully this means it WON'T show up on my vacay in two weeks :dance:

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
So, I have been on my period (or just bleeding) since June 19. I am on Nuvaring, and my cycle should start in a week so it's still in. I haven't had any pain until today when I got a massive pain in my uterus, became dizzy, hot, and unbalanced. I'm still in pain, slightly dizzy, and really hot and cold off and on. I talked to a nurse at student health before I had the pain who wasn't too concerned, and my appointment isn't until the 16th. Should I be concerned? Is it just stress, or just having two things stuffed up my cooch for almost a month? Note: I took a pregnancy test yesterday, which was negative.

Bacon Legs
Jun 26, 2011

My bacon brings all the boys to the yard and they're like, "it's covered in lard."
Okay, emergency question!

I took out my nuvaring last saturday, had my period week, and had sex last night, and I was supposed to put my nuvaring in today. I understand that I'm protected during my ring free week, and yesterday includes that, however, I also know that sperm can survive for up to like..9 days in the vagina or something crazy.

I always put my nuvaring in the fridge, but this time it looks like someone in my household might have thrown it away accidentally. Planned parenthood is closed and it's closed on sundays too.

I'm loving HORRIFIED that because I had sex yesterday, and lost my loving ring today that I coul possibly become pregnant. Or is it because I had sex during a protected week that I'm protected and there's no ifs ands or buts about it?

Sorry if this is rambly, but I'm really really concerned, and I don't want to have to take plan B if I don't have to.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The chances are probably low that you'll get pregnant, but I'll say that if it was me, I'd take Plan B if I was unable to obtain a new ring because I don't like taking chances on that. Is there no way you can call your pharmacy and explain the situation? They might be able to help you out. Once when my prescription number was wrong after transferring, they made a new one-time-use separate prescription and that was filled. It's a little bit different but it's worth a shot.

e: hyphens for readability!

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 15, 2012

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
You'd be missing today (one day) and tomorrow (two day) if you got a new one on Monday. Take a plan b as soon as you can if/once you find out the soonest you can get a new ring is Monday. Once you miss two or more days you need to use a backup. And the backup for a very recent past event is a plan b.

If you can get a new ring today or tomorrow you're fine because that'd mean you only missed one day. Call around now, and figure out what you can about getting a new one. Once you do, go from there. Good luck.

Bacon Legs
Jun 26, 2011

My bacon brings all the boys to the yard and they're like, "it's covered in lard."

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You'd be missing today (one day) and tomorrow (two day) if you got a new one on Monday. Take a plan b as soon as you can if/once you find out the soonest you can get a new ring is Monday. Once you miss two or more days you need to use a backup. And the backup for a very recent past event is a plan b.

If you can get a new ring today or tomorrow you're fine because that'd mean you only missed one day. Call around now, and figure out what you can about getting a new one. Once you do, go from there. Good luck.

Okay, so I called my doctor. She said that since I had the ring in for 3-4 weeks, and then took it out for my period week, that I was totally protected during my ring free week. Since I used the nuvaring correctly, even if I don't insert a new one, I was still protected for that week and shouldn't worry.

So yay! I'm good to go. Phew!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Ah! That's right. I forgot the ring is technically good for four weeks. Worked out okay after all :)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Ah! That's right. I forgot the ring is technically good for four weeks. Worked out okay after all :)

That's only when it's in for four weeks though. I'd still advise getting Plan B if you're late putting in a new ring, as do regulating bodies: http://www.fsrh.org/pdfs/CEUStatementMissedPills.pdf.

Sabs
Jan 19, 2005
Cute Marmot

Geolicious posted:

I get some mild cramps every third month, sometimes with light spotting, but I haven't had a period in at least a year and a half (I've had mine for just over 2 years). I was scared during the settling part too, and mine took about 5 weeks to get there. It's been smooth sailing ever since though!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Things seem to be a lot better now. I had a period last week. 5 days long, a little heavier than a pill period, but nothing crazy. Definitely more crampy than a pill period, but now things seem to be fine. No cramps since early Friday. AND! I think I felt a string part. Not sure, but it felt harder and thin.

Placement check on Wednesday.

vvv Yeah, I am hoping my periods go away, too. I won't be upset if they don't; they are a good Yay Not Pregnant thing, but it would be nice.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 16, 2012

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Once again, I'm worrying over literally nothing. :)

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 16, 2012

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Mirena trip report: no go! Welp went to get my mirena inserted (I've never had children btw) and the dr said my cervix was tiny tiny and she would have to refer me to a local german (American stationed in Germany) clinic to have my cervix dilated if I wanted it done. I passed, as fun as that does sound. She gave me a prescription for BC pills until my husband can get snipped. (We are staying childless!)Interesting thing though, she said "Although I can't recommend it as your health care provider you could probably not even use birth control with how tiny your cervix opening is". She said if we ever did try to conceive it would probably be extremely difficult. I was looking forward to not taking pills any more and having possibly no period, but oh well I guess.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had to be dilated as well due to scarring from a LEEP. For me, the cervical dilation was the least hurty part. She used some sort of spray (which you may not have in Germany) called Hurricane Spray. It burned for a few seconds, but then my cervix didn't feel anything else.

Sabs
Jan 19, 2005
Cute Marmot

Mean Bean posted:

Mirena trip report: no go! Welp went to get my mirena inserted (I've never had children btw) and the dr said my cervix was tiny tiny and she would have to refer me to a local german (American stationed in Germany) clinic to have my cervix dilated if I wanted it done. I passed, as fun as that does sound. She gave me a prescription for BC pills until my husband can get snipped. (We are staying childless!)Interesting thing though, she said "Although I can't recommend it as your health care provider you could probably not even use birth control with how tiny your cervix opening is". She said if we ever did try to conceive it would probably be extremely difficult. I was looking forward to not taking pills any more and having possibly no period, but oh well I guess.

For the record, German gynos are way more experienced with IUD insertions than your average US doctor (US expat speaking). They probably would've done a topical numbing shot, but if you have a tiny cervix, the wrenching is still pretty awful. Full anesthesia is an option, and you're only there for an hour, 10 minutes of which is under.
Just sayin'

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?
I was taking Introvale, but my lot number got recalled, so now I have another seasonale generic brand. But my question is, should I wait until Sunday to start the new pack of the new pills? Or can I just start taking them in the middle of the week. Am I protected either way?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lakshmi posted:

I was taking Introvale, but my lot number got recalled, so now I have another seasonale generic brand. But my question is, should I wait until Sunday to start the new pack of the new pills? Or can I just start taking them in the middle of the week. Am I protected either way?

Take the replacement pills on schedule as you would your old ones. You'll be protected without a gap. The hormone dose will be the same regardless of the brand name.

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?

Kerfuffle posted:

Take the replacement pills on schedule as you would your old ones. You'll be protected without a gap. The hormone dose will be the same regardless of the brand name.

Ok, but do I have to wait until Sunday to start the new pack? Or can I take the first Wednesday pill of the new brand instead of the Wednesday pill of the old pack? Thanks for the help, I'd like to stop taking the recalled pills as soon as possible, but don't want to mess things up.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Take the first pill of the new pack when you get it. You'll then be a [day of the week here] start instead of whatever you were before. You'll be protected, but keep in mind you may experience breakthrough bleeding/spotting because of the stacked packs.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lakshmi posted:

Ok, but do I have to wait until Sunday to start the new pack? Or can I take the first Wednesday pill of the new brand instead of the Wednesday pill of the old pack? Thanks for the help, I'd like to stop taking the recalled pills as soon as possible, but don't want to mess things up.

Do you know why they were recalled?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Possibility of pills in the wrong position is what the news is saying.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
So I knew that there was some relation between ultrasounds and having something put up your vagina (because of that bill where they wanted to force women to look at an ultrasound before aborting and people were all "Seriously?! That's like raping a rape victim a second time, shoving that thing up there!".

I had no idea that the ultrasound was done -with- the wand til today, when I got my Mirena placement checked (it's fine, yay!). I was very confused when she just said to strip from the waist down instead of everything.

Did they change how they're done, or is the jelly stuff on the tummy and rolly thing just for very pregnant women? Cause that's what I assumed they were all like. :confused:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
All of my lady parts ultrasounds have been TV AND rolly thing. I have to have ultrasounds every other year for cancer screenings. So, maybe it a doctor/technician preference thing?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

The transvaginal ultrasound is used for early pregnancy and most uterus-related stuff that does not involve pregnancy because you can get much more accurate measurements and see everything a lot better with it. Even though I am quite thin and my uterus is tipped forward more than normal (which both make it easier to see the uterus on a transabdominal scan) they still need the transvaginal type for most stuff. They usually switch to transabdominal-only ultrasounds around the second trimester of pregnancy.

Sometimes they will do both. It's somewhat unclear to me why that is, since every time they've done it to me they wound up doing the transvaginal in the end anyway.

The upside of the transvaginal type is that you don't need a full bladder!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Getting a TV with a full bladder is awful. I am so surprised I have not peed on a technician yet. Since they do both on me, I have to go in with a full bladder. Sucks so much.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

They didn't let you go pee in between? That's ridiculous! Every time I've gone for both at once they do the T/A first and then let me go pee before the T/V.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
No. Grrrrr. I'm due this year for one and I'm going to pee dammit.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So, I finally got to have some sex. This morning there was no issues afterwards, but later this evening after some sexytimes I had some spotting and cramping. I seem to remember other ladies mentioning this happening, especially with a new device. Should I be worried and get my self down to the OBX OBGYN (I am on vacay)? Or is it probably normal? Or could it just be not having had sex in 9 months? I am not in a lot of pain and the spotting seems to have been a one off thing.

I am just so scared of loving this thing up and it not working.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Geolicious posted:

So, I finally got to have some sex. This morning there was no issues afterwards, but later this evening after some sexytimes I had some spotting and cramping. I seem to remember other ladies mentioning this happening, especially with a new device. Should I be worried and get my self down to the OBX OBGYN (I am on vacay)? Or is it probably normal? Or could it just be not having had sex in 9 months? I am not in a lot of pain and the spotting seems to have been a one off thing.

That sounds like it's completely normal, I'm still crampy/spotty and it's been... almost two months now? Yours is a bit newer than mine, so I'd not worry unless it starts bleeding heavily or gets really painful. Hope you're enjoying your vacation and your guy :)

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Does anyone have the link to that article that talked about IUDS in the 70's vs the modern ones now? It had some really great pictures of the weird ones from the 70's.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Was it this one?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Thats it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

Geolicious posted:

This is normal for both a new IUD and not having sex for 9 months, don't worry. Unless you're in I-can't-move-out-of-the-fetal-position pain and are filling... I think it's a filling a whole heavy pad in four hours? You're doing fine. :)

• Locked thread