Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012
Mk II of my purity seals, now with 100% more bullet holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Dr: You did not come to the doctors in time and did too much running about and stuff when you had bronchitis. Now be super careful. Dont do anything like sport or painting.

Me: Why can't I paint?

Dr: You have to be super careful about any fumes and rubbish. You're super sensitive for a while now.

Me: But I only have a week to paint some models.

Dr: For what?

Me: The internet.

Dr: What?

Me: I told some guys on the internet I'd paint some models and I get points if I do.

Dr: You might get scarring or something in your scratched up to hell throat if you do.

Me: But the internet

Dr: No!

The look I got when trying to explain that I really wanted to paint and it mattered more than barely being able to breath and having a bleeding throat. Only 7 days :(
Gasmask, brush, get to work :colbert:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Purgey posted:

In other news I painted up some 15mm Space Bugs from Highlander Studios today.

I think I need to give them an ink or wash or something... they are looking a bit flat. :geno:
yeah they look really flat. Definitely a wash, perhaps adding a darker tone to the blue for just that little bit more depth. Maybe highlight instead? Just old-skool drybrush them.

e: Hold on, they ship Canada post? And aren't stupidly priced? Hmmm.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 24, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lethemonster posted:

Dr: You did not come to the doctors in time and did too much running about and stuff when you had bronchitis. Now be super careful. Dont do anything like sport or painting.
Clearly the doctor needs to do the priming for you :colbert:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I wish I had more to report but this is the progress so far. If I had longer stretches of time to work, like an actual working day, I bet I could move a lot faster. Alas, we can only hold so many limes.

I will probably improve my time when I gain more XP with the FIMO...

edit: added view

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 25, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

lilljonas posted:

gently caress doctors, what do they know about priorities? About the value of showing other people your paintjobs for poits? About being shouted at by sole sushi for your WIP pictures? About honour?

I keep meaning to tell you, that I hate you and your AP photos.

Hate.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

yeah they look really flat. Definitely a wash, perhaps adding a darker tone to the blue for just that little bit more depth. Maybe highlight instead? Just old-skool drybrush them.

e: Hold on, they ship Canada post? And aren't stupidly priced? Hmmm.

Highlander Studios is reasonably priced and the shipping is quite quick. Do it. 15mm is The Best Scale (tm) :colbert:

I'm not satisfied with my previous blue bugs so I'm experimenting with a new scheme. It kind of reminds me of the Halo aliens.

Still needs one bright highlight on the edge of the carapace, in my opinion. I'm MUCH more satisfied with this color scheme, though. I think white for the eyes turned out particularly nicely. I have a blog where I'm collecting my 15mm work, check it out if you like. http://blasterforhire.blogspot.com/

Some of the other blogs on my list are really good if you're interested in 15mm Sci-Fi. "Tiny Solitary Soldiers" is a great start. Guy paints his 15mm stuff really drat well.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crosspostin' a Tyranid Tervigon I finished recently:

Being such a large model I decided I wanted to be thorough--the drat thing took 8+ hours to paint fully. The most terrifying this is I need to get to painting one to two more. Great model, but drat it's a lot of detail to obsess over.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
That's a cool rear end model.
Great sculpt, great paintjob. (But paint your sand)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The red on that tervigon is rad.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

PierreTheMime posted:

Crosspostin' a Tyranid Tervigon I finished recently:
Being such a large model I decided I wanted to be thorough--the drat thing took 8+ hours to paint fully. The most terrifying this is I need to get to painting one to two more. Great model, but drat it's a lot of detail to obsess over.

Drool.

Could you tell me what paints you used for the red shell, and the pinkish underbelly?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pierre, it's been a long time since we've seen a full army shot of your Nids, and it's got to be a hell of a thing.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Hey PV, I know it may not be needed, but I noticed you had the B&C Space Marine paint scheme planning thing in the OP and figured this could go there as well:

http://gtazz.com/kataan/igdesigner/

Been using it over the past few days trying to come up with a paint scheme for my IG army I'm planning out. I am however a newbie here so I may have missed it already having been posted sometime in the past 700 pages or so as I'm only through about 150.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
I'm looking to get backing to 40k and I have a bunch of dudes covered in black primer from probably like 8 years ago. My question is if the primer should still be good to paint on or if I should just simple green the guys and start fresh. I'll obviously clean them from dust and whatnot, but I don't really know how primer works.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I just got my first finecast and there's no missing detail or bubbles although it has done this:

http://i.cubeupload.com/JUJGoE.jpg

Should I return the buckled ones or what?

E: oh god the mobile app didn't show the table breaking, my bad.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 25, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Absolutely.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That is loving shocking. Does QA...just not exist there?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

krushgroove posted:

That is loving shocking. Does QA...just not exist there?

Is shocking really the term for something that seems like it should be rather unsurprising by this point? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's just shocking that it's accepted and there's nothing done to correct it before it leaves. It's putting out a lovely product and waiting for customers to come back with complaints - it's not good business, not good for customers, etc. But they have nearly a monopoly and people put up with it, so why change? It's just lovely.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have some old metal ones and they look just as bent inwards. I know there are ways to bend resin, though finecast is a special mix so I would ask others who have reshaped bent swords and the like.

Usually you let the resin quickly dip into hot water then delicately move the parts where you need them and let cool. I was always worried about doing this since if the material is weak enough to bend then I might push fingerprints or tong marks into the surface.

edit: You can still look into replacing them, but they might always look that way.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important
If any of you enjoy painting dwarves, a really nice kickstarter is about to end: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/dwarven-adventurers-box-set

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It is so :3: when a kickstarter goes ridiculously over like that. It really makes me hopeful.

If only I had space for lots of minis.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

sexart posted:

Drool.

Could you tell me what paints you used for the red shell, and the pinkish underbelly?
I'm still using old pots of paint, so you'll have to translate these into new color names if you want the same:

Chitin = Primed with Chaos Black, base coat of Red Gore and Chaos Black, Red Gore, Red Gore and Blood Red (80/20 mix), Red Gore and Blood Red (50/50 mix), and then 1-2 additional highlights of Blood Red. Wash with Agrax Earthshade and water (60/40) (alright I lied, I have a new pot of shade because it's so much better than ol' Devlan Mud).

The underbelly was painted as the rest of the skin was: Black primer, Taucept Ochre base, Taucept Ochre and Bleached Bone (50/50 mix), Bleached Bone, Bleached Bone and Skull White (80/20 mix). The underbelly was then stained multiple times with layers of Red Gore and water (probably about a 20/80 mix), and then the whole thing was gone over with Agrax Earthshade and water (60/40).

Fix posted:

Pierre, it's been a long time since we've seen a full army shot of your Nids, and it's got to be a hell of a thing.
Here's a quick shot of most of the painted stuff.

I still have more than twice that left to paint. :negative: It doesn't help that I have army ADD and have about the same amount of Space Marines and Necrons painted as well, along with a contingent of Chaos Space Marines and Daemons.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 25, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Very nice. Tell us you have that on display at all times.

Small update on the Aldi 'All-in-1' disinfectant as a paint stripper: I experimented with one plastic Chaos Space Marine for a few days (thinking Khorne wouldn't really mind sacrificing one soldier, being a chaos god and all) and the paint came off that pretty well and the styrene survived just fine. It looked like it had been primed black, then painted over with red and trimmed with gold. The plastic wasn't affected so I tossed the rest of the painted berzerkers in there and left them for maybe 4 whole days over the weekend. Since these were bought in the same eBay listing, I assumed they would have been painted with the same paints, etc., but on some of them the red came off easily to expose a pure black, not sure if it's primer or if the models had been supplied at some point in black plastic? I haven't tried scraping the black to see if it's plastic yet though.

Of the 10 plastic models I have that were red, about 4 are now all black, the rest are 99% stripped, with red and/or black in just the hard to reach crevices. The metal chaos terminators are the same, except with black in the crevices, and the chaos dreadnought has even less paint in its crevices. One terminator is almost completely bare, I'm guessing it wasn't primed. Once I wash these I'll assemble them back together with Green Stuff and then get back to actually painting!

Stripping can take ages, though - I watched 2 hours of TV while brushing off the plastic models, and spent at least double that doing the terminators & dreadnought. I know wargaming is an overall loss in terms of money, but if you want to calculate how much time it takes to do all this work on crappy models you've bought online, versus buying primed & base-painted models on eBay...you're probably coming out behind. If that matters to you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those are really sweet Pierre, a nice group shot like that looks great.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
So happy my Genestealers are going to be so well taken care of. Very nice looking Nids!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Failed my oath due to DOUBLE SICKNESS so posting up some of my older stuff to feel better. :smith:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Very nice. Tell us you have that on display at all times.

Small update on the Aldi 'All-in-1' disinfectant as a paint stripper

The black marines are probably just stained by the primer. Sometimes the chemical bond is weak, sometimes it isn't.

You can try throwing it in for another few days but you can probably just prime over it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
A guy on reddit posted photos of a BloodBowl table he's made for a friend.

It's completely goddamn fantastic!

Reddit thread

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I've been using the tamiya weathering powders on this month's oath, and I'm wondering how you guys seal them.
Dullcote tends to take the dirty grainyness away, which is part of the charm.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Supreme Court posted:

A guy on reddit posted photos of a BloodBowl table he's made for a friend.

It's completely goddamn fantastic!

Reddit thread

This thing is unreal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I find most of the stuff in Reddit's Warmachine section to be pretty lovely 80% of the time, and I don't frequent the other wargaming sections... but holy poo poo that's incredible. :stare:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, drat. Now I want to play Bloodbowl.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Manifest posted:

I've been using the tamiya weathering powders on this month's oath, and I'm wondering how you guys seal them.

Fixing solution (water) seems to be the popular solution. Seal the model, mix a bit of water with the pigment, brush it on where you want it, let it dry, then seal it again.

If you're already doing that, then I'm not sure how to fix your particular dilemma.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

krushgroove posted:

Well, drat. Now I want to play Bloodbowl.

Everyone should want to play Bloodbowl :colbert:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Manifest posted:

I'm not sure what else could work. That's why I slap it on a little heavier than I want, that way it's still there after I seal it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm a long way from using the powders yet, but from what I've read on sites like From The Warp, any attempt to varnish over the powders will change the look of them, so for display it's recommended to not varnish over the powders, and for tabletop models it's recommended to just accept the powder will come off a bit, or varnish over it knowing the look with change, or just use a rust brush or wash effect. I haven't tried any of these, but that's what I've seen in articles.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fixing solution (water) seems to be the popular solution. Seal the model, mix a bit of water with the pigment, brush it on where you want it, let it dry, then seal it again.

If you're already doing that, then I'm not sure how to fix your particular dilemma.

I haven't tried water, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I can't make out the little squares on that pitch. Isn't the game played on a grid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I ended up just doing a bunch applications of the dirt with varnish layers in between. Eventually you can build it to look almost like it does pre-varnish. (But not close enough really.)

• Locked thread