Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Zand posted:

they tried that in tvc and it helped to make tvc horrible.

I never looked into that game or MK9. Sorry, I thought I was suggesting something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Zand posted:

they tried that in tvc and it helped to make tvc horrible.

I ignored TvC but didn't Mega Crashes let some characters (like Zero) go into a combo that would build back the meter they used on the Mega Crash?

MK9 breakers are uniquely poo poo because they're an unbaitable way out of pressure after you gently caress up and get hit!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
They're poo poo because you can't bait them and preventing a 40%+ combo with 2 bars is just stupidly effective compared to increasing a combo's damage by 10-20%.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mio Bison posted:

I ignored TvC but didn't Mega Crashes let some characters (like Zero) go into a combo that would build back the meter they used on the Mega Crash?

Not only that, but Mega Crash also gave you red health, which would let you Baroque to extend a combo even longer and do more damage.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So maybe I'm not as up to date on fighters as I would like, but what would be wrong with a breaker system like Blazblue had (come to think of it why does no one talk about BB anymore anyway?)? It wouldn't quite work for MvC since there aren't rounds, but changing X-Factor (Level-1 Breaker Only, Level 2 - Breaker and current Level 1, Level 3 - Breaker current level 2) and having the breaker be blockable seems like it would be pretty ok.

Breakerchat aside, I remember seeing some She Hulk play at Evo. I haven't done much looking into it, but is she back in style again or is it just a case of some higher level player doing something mere mortals cannot?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

I'm curious as to why, though. It seems like it would be right at home in a game where you can continue combos indefinitely by attacking grounded opponents. And some of those infinite combos look dead easy to pull off.

It wouldn't even have to cause damage, wallbounce, or any of that stuff that breaking out of TACs does. It could just be like an advancing guard, but applicable during any hitstun that's not caused by hyper combos.

Why is because it changes the emphasis of the gameplay from spending your meter on cool or flashy things to hording it in order to stop the other player from doing cool or flashy things. There are other problems with burst systems, but they are solvable, while the problems caused by a burst for super meter system (like tatsunoku vs capcom or mk9) are intrinsic to the system.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waverhouse posted:

Breakerchat aside, I remember seeing some She Hulk play at Evo. I haven't done much looking into it, but is she back in style again or is it just a case of some higher level player doing something mere mortals cannot?

I think the only major she-hulk at EVO was Combofiend. He's pretty much the only player using she-hulk anymore.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Waverhouse posted:

So maybe I'm not as up to date on fighters as I would like, but what would be wrong with a breaker system like Blazblue had (come to think of it why does no one talk about BB anymore anyway?)

Arcsys style burst where you have a seperate thing that slowly build up and you can bait/punish/block bursts would probably be okay, if only because with characters like magneto and zero it'd be basically useless.

People don't talk about blazblue anymore because it sucks and because persona 4/new version of guilty gear accent core are coming out and way better games

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

So maybe I'm not as up to date on fighters as I would like, but what would be wrong with a breaker system like Blazblue had (come to think of it why does no one talk about BB anymore anyway?)? It wouldn't quite work for MvC since there aren't rounds, but changing X-Factor (Level-1 Breaker Only, Level 2 - Breaker and current Level 1, Level 3 - Breaker current level 2) and having the breaker be blockable seems like it would be pretty ok.

100% kill combos are, genearlly, not advantageous enough in umvc3 for breakers to be a really good idea, that and the overall weakness of resets and oki in the game means it's just not something the game super needs. I'd still very much like some sort of bait-able burst system, because I like some of the gameplay aspects around them, and I don't really think the system would hurt umvc3 either, that being said, bursts for meter would basically instantly turn the game to poo poo.

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the only major she-hulk at EVO was Combofiend. He's pretty much the only player using she-hulk anymore.

ABEGEN, too, has a pretty scary She-Hulk, including a really dirty DHC setup with her and Thor that I've never seen anyone else use before. Too bad he didn't make it out of pools.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress it guys, let's just add more mechanics. What could possibly go wrong?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Waverhouse posted:

So maybe I'm not as up to date on fighters as I would like, but what would be wrong with a breaker system like Blazblue had?

BB isn't a great game but it gets more poo poo than it deserves because most of America gave up after the initial game was the bad kind of imba and the first shot at fixing it made the game boring as gently caress (and it didn't help that we were perpetually a version behind Japan). Either way I don't like its newer burst systems as much as GG/P4U or even BB:CT, it's functional but having those bursts stockpile and especially giving you extras when you lose seemed like a uninspired way to make games take longer. I also want to say that gold bursts feel bad in that game but maybe it's because I don't play that game well enough to "get" them?

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 26, 2012

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

BB isn't a great game but it gets more poo poo than it deserves because most of America gave up after the initial game was the bad kind of imba and the first shot at fixing it made the game boring as gently caress (and it didn't help that we were perpetually a version behind Japan). Either way I don't like its newer burst systems as much as GG/P4U or even BB:CT, it's functional but having those bursts stockpile and especially giving you extras when you lose seemed like a uninspired way to make games take longer. I also want to say that gold bursts feel bad in that game but maybe it's because I don't play that game well enough to "get" them?

No, gold bursts feel like poo poo in bb.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

ABEGEN, too, has a pretty scary She-Hulk, including a really dirty DHC setup with her and Thor that I've never seen anyone else use before. Too bad he didn't make it out of pools.

NerdJosh also has a solid SheHulk but he's not the greatest high-level player.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Why is because it changes the emphasis of the gameplay from spending your meter on cool or flashy things to hording it in order to stop the other player from doing cool or flashy things. There are other problems with burst systems, but they are solvable, while the problems caused by a burst for super meter system (like tatsunoku vs capcom or mk9) are intrinsic to the system.

QFT.

Burst for meter is an effective counter mechanic. Effective counter mechanics turn the game into who can counter more. I remember playing one of the DoA games, I think it was 2, where everyone had a really good counter move. It was so good that all I did was spam on that counter. The counter was a terrible mechanic because it was so powerful that neither player wanted to hit the other which is obviously dumb in a fighting game.

Incidentally, using the superpowerful counter moves is also how I play Assassin's Creed. Why hit the attack button when you can wait for a telegraphed attack and parry into an instant kill during the animation for which you are invincible?

I wouldn't like counter for meter in UMvC3 because it would take the focus off of using meter to kill the opponent and possibly greatly increase the number of timeouts.

I also don't like the idea someone mentioned of having XF be a breaker. XF3 is too good to have being a breaker added to it. Imagine if anchor Vergil could XF3 combo breaker. He would be completely unstoppable. It wouldn't even matter who his first two teammates were he could let them die without pressing a button and still win.

PS - I think TAC infinites are fine. Did you guys see Viper's regular infinite? Fanatiq found it with the help of his stream viewers.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dren posted:

Imagine if anchor Vergil could XF3 combo breaker. He would be completely unstoppable. It wouldn't even matter who his first two teammates were he could let them die without pressing a button and still win.

Vergil can already do that anyway.

quote:

PS - I think TAC infinites are fine.

Boooo.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Dren posted:

I also don't like the idea someone mentioned of having XF be a breaker. XF3 is too good to have being a breaker added to it. Imagine if anchor Vergil could XF3 combo breaker. He would be completely unstoppable. It wouldn't even matter who his first two teammates were he could let them die without pressing a button and still win.

PS - I think TAC infinites are fine. Did you guys see Viper's regular infinite? Fanatiq found it with the help of his stream viewers.

I think the idea behind XF being a breaker is that you press L+M+H+S and you break out of the combo, but then you can't use XF for the rest of the round. So it'd be a case of do you want to break out of this combo and risk not having XF or do you want to save it for offense or to avoid chip?
It'd be interesting I guess but I think the game is fine without it.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Cat Machine posted:

Usain Bolt playing MVC3

Imagine what the fastest man alive would be capable of if he put the work in :allears:
Does anyone know if this clip is available anywhere else? Just the part with Usain playing Marvel?

The original whole video was taken down for dumb copyright reasons. :saddowns:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

A really difficult, easy to drop megascaled combo that is only guaranteed 33% of the time and leaves the opponent on five bars is really just not that big a deal. There's way more dangerous poo poo in this game than that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I think the way H&H does it where popping XF while getting hit with a combo sends the attacker flying to the other end of the screen in a non-jugglable state like they just got hit with a TAC counter would work. That way the breaker is still tied to x-factor and you don't have to worry about it being a "parry."

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Sade posted:

A really difficult, easy to drop megascaled combo that is only guaranteed 33% of the time and leaves the opponent on five bars is really just not that big a deal. There's way more dangerous poo poo in this game than that.
How many times were TAC infinites executed successfully at EVO, anyway? Or even attempted? This one with Sentinel is the only one I remember, and it was more for show than anything. Not to mention Jan had already spiritually defeated ETR with his cowboy hat and on-stage beer chugging.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Vergil can already do that anyway.

The important thing about now is that Vergil's opponent can mix him up on incoming and kill him before he gets to play.

If XF3 could be used as a breaker then XF3 Vergil would be unstoppable since you couldn't kill him off of an incoming mixup. Vergil wouldn't even try to block the incoming mixup. He'd let you hit him, combo break, and kill your whole team.

If XF when used while being comboed were a breaker without the normal XF powerup then that would be acceptable. I think the only time it would get used is during a combo guaranteed to kill the last character. XF3 is just way too good to sacrifice for a combo breaker.

Also, if something like XF is a breaker but you don't get a powerup got implemented I'd like it if the attacker could XFC out of the break and still have an advantage. E.g. they get some frame advantage or a free mixup.

Dren fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 26, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight

Thursday July 26th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/b5zhi8m2mm

Also breakers are dumb in a Marvel game.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 26, 2012

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Spider Man, Chun-Li, Zero, and Morrigan can do the air-dash cancel double TAC trick to make countering them a 1 in 6 proposition instead of 1 in 3. I've seen a lot of sentiments along the lines of "It's too complicated, just do a normal reset", but no reset is going to work 83% of the time. What will really make this shine is using those 5 bars to open people up; round harvest to raw tag setups or long THC's become a lot more useful when you can TOD people off of them.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Can't make the tournament tonight, so no free wins for anybody. Somehow, one of my DSL provider's towers managed to collapse. I can still get online, but anything past web browsing is horrible. I won't make anyone suffer 0 bar connection fights.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Spider Man, Chun-Li, Zero, and Morrigan can do the air-dash cancel double TAC trick to make countering them a 1 in 6 proposition instead of 1 in 3. I've seen a lot of sentiments along the lines of "It's too complicated, just do a normal reset", but no reset is going to work 83% of the time. What will really make this shine is using those 5 bars to open people up; round harvest to raw tag setups or long THC's become a lot more useful when you can TOD people off of them.

I have seen it said that the air-dash cancel trick does not work as you assume it does.

I haven't labbed it up to verify because I just haven't been bothered but here is the explanation. For the air dash cancel double TAC trick if the first TAC is correctly countered the counter will work even if the attacker cancels the TAC with a dash.

The reason that air-dash canceled TACs are a thing is that with Phoenix you know she'll be mashing side exchange so you can pick either up or down and cancel the TAC to use up the defender's counter, then do a side TAC free.

If this understanding of air dash canceled TACs is correct then the air dash canceled TAC trick doesn't increase the odds of landing a TAC.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while what with the new PS3 and month long underway. Signed up.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dren posted:

The important thing about now is that Vergil's opponent can mix him up on incoming and kill him before he gets to play.

I know, I know. I didn't really have a point beyond "I hate Vergil and his stupid everything".

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Got my warmup in just in time for the tourney.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Smeego posted:

How many times were TAC infinites executed successfully at EVO, anyway? Or even attempted? This one with Sentinel is the only one I remember, and it was more for show than anything. Not to mention Jan had already spiritually defeated ETR with his cowboy hat and on-stage beer chugging.

I watched every minute of coverage and the only other one I remember didn't really get much notice because it killed during the second rep (i.e. after only touching the ground once). I don't remember for sure who did it or with what character, but I think it was Doom.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results

http://challonge.com/psmgoons11

First Place: Bumble Chump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Second Place: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Shiki Dan Hulk/Dormmamu/Sentinel

Got some new blood today and if we combine that with the old we get hepatitis I mean a huge bracket. Make it happen people.

Next week Thursday August 2nd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/z2fajisxx5

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
For any Austin, TX goons, everyone's favorite Justin Wang is going to be at Arcade UFO tomorrow apparently. Go get your butts kicked!

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/228649453618335744

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Justin will be in town for the anniversary tournament, so I'm sure he'll be practicing on those games (SF4, HDR, 3S, and SFxT).

Champ vs PR Balrog on FGTV right now. Champ is playing Doom/Dorm/Sentinel right now and is saying he likes Doom first better than Magneto now. And, his Dorm combos are better. http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
E: Never mind. The situation seems to have vanished.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 27, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone down for a 360 tournament on Sunday?

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
I don't know how this happens. I was the first person to be eliminated last week, and then I win the tournament this week. I guess it's all about who you get matched up with.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

BumbleChump posted:

I don't know how this happens. I was the first person to be eliminated last week, and then I win the tournament this week. I guess it's all about who you get matched up with.

Your Shuma appears to be drat near unstoppable when he's the last man standing.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
If you guys weren't playing online you'd be able to grab shuma out of mystic smash every time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Online makes me want to pick three characters with armored normals and tag people as they come in banging on all of their buttons as hard as they can. People just do whatever the gently caress they want online because they know you'll drop your combo or mistime the punish. /salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dren posted:

Online makes me want to pick three characters with armored normals and tag people as they come in banging on all of their buttons as hard as they can. People just do whatever the gently caress they want online because they know you'll drop your combo or mistime the punish. /salt

Hulk/Nemesis/Sentinel - Team Online God

• Locked thread