Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zarron
Sep 1, 2005
drat it! Getting so hyped for this game I just pre-ordered this for the 360. (I already bought the PS3 version for this as well.) Should someone start a meta-tag for this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Atlus has hosed gamers for the last time I'm gonna start a boycot!!

Dood, there's a slight difference between the removal of taunting (Which was always dumb with the exception of Dan) and being told "You want this game, tough poo poo, go wait for Zen to remove their finger from their arse".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dood, there's a slight difference between the removal of taunting (Which was always dumb with the exception of Dan) and being told "You want this game, tough poo poo, go wait for Zen to remove their finger from their arse".

:thejoke:

Okay, as someone who liked Persona's 3 and 4, holy poo poo, is this game actually going to be good?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Depends. If you like fighting games yes.

If you don't, then no.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Depends. If you like fighting games yes.

If you don't, then no.

How about if I like the occasional fighting game (I was huge into Guilty Gear back in its day), but suck horribly at them?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Alright you'll be fine I think. If you can accept losing to people (which is mysteriously a tremendous barrier some people never overcome for some reason) you'll be alright. If you liked Guilty Gear the pace is similar, and the execution is easier as well.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Here's a nice, convenient image for the button combinations:

And that's why I'll be setting all my buttons up on the top row. I like having a finger on every button at once, if it can be helped.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

S-Alpha posted:

And that's why I'll be setting all my buttons up on the top row. I like having a finger on every button at once, if it can be helped.

Theres goes the hype.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I still really don't know why this isn't a 5 button game. So weird.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
2 reversal bursts, and a guard cancel.

garfieldbowltoss.jpeg

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
A lot of cabs just have 4 buttons I think, so maybe it's easier to sell copies to arcade owners? I dunno, it really doesn't make a whole of sense to me either, but it's not really that big of a deal.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

garfieldbowltoss.jpeg

If I'm reading that right isn't it only one burst with multiple uses? You either get out of a combo, gold burst, or use it to extend combos?

They made it four buttons for pad players obv :getin:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah because we all know that all these bursts and guard cancels are just going to make keepaway characters like Yukiko just dominate right?

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I played Persona 4:UMA for ten minutes and now I have carpal tunnel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I guess I'm missing something here because it doesn't really seem that at all to keep track of? I mean the only 3 button combinations are for bursting and roman cancels. The only thing I would see being tricky at first would be the AC movement stuff and the AB sweep/all out attack thing.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Yea, I'm doing that as well. This just seems so uncomfortable trying to play it that way.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

garfieldbowltoss.jpeg

I think you're freaking out prematurely given that normal burst, gold burst, and dead angle attacks were all present in the mostly universally beloved Guilty Gear games and yet they didn't ruin them.

Moving on, BrokenTier put together a very brief introduction to the pros and cons of each character, complete with a link to footage of said character in action: http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/6324820-persona-4-arena-simple-character-guide

Also, IPlayWinner has all those official wallpapers that you have to play that card game to unlock up on their site: http://iplaywinner.com/fighting-game-images/persona-4-arena-wallpapers

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
The button config is like that because it keeps the button combinations more intuitive (only the buttons immediately next to each other have a combination), and it is also because the way the ABCD buttons are segmented is closer to how KOF has it's control scheme (being split with A and C being Light Punch and Hard Punch, and B and D being Light Kick and Hard Kick), instead of your average anime fighter (with the ABCD representing sequential strength).

That being said, I can't blame you if you want to change it, 'cause it can be a bit weird to get used to.

EDIT: Something to keep in mind is that D moves are usually more situational, to the point to where you don't really need to keep a finger on D all the time like you would for A, B, and C, and instead you can just slide your middle finger to D whenever you need to use it (unless it is a grab/skill boost, in which you can just slide your index finger to D, or a Burst, in which case you then use your ring finger for it).

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 25, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Black Mage Knight posted:

The button config is like that because it keeps the button combinations more intuitive (only the buttons immediately next to each other have a combination), and it is also because the way the ABCD buttons are segmented is closer to how KOF has it's control scheme (being split with A and C being Light Punch and Hard Punch, and B and D being Light Kick and Hard Kick), instead of your average anime fighter (with the ABCD representing sequential strength).

Yeah, after actually pulling my stick out and feeling out the inputs, it really isn't any trouble at all to do any given combination. A+C+D isn't bad, just slide your thumb over and there you go. I still prefer having one finger on every button, and I don't really care to move my hand/fingers from standard positions, so I'll still change it to a row, with my thumb being throw for quick techs. Pretty much my default setup for airdash games.

Welp, just under two weeks now. Release hype is starting to settle in, but I wish my local store were doing a midnight release. :(

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I'm torn on button layout. I'm going to have to try a number of different layouts once it's in my hands.

At Comic-Con, the default layout felt best for most of the multiple button presses illustrated in the chart above, but I slipped up a lot while comboing. Probably just weird instincts from other games taking hold after I hit confirmed.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 25, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah some people have been talking about using the layout...

ACD
B

As the only thing that's a little weird in that layout is the B+D. Plus it puts throws exactly where they were in BB.

You can also just map button macros however you want anyway. I've never had a problem with the square layout before myself.

Oh yeah, and the Japanese version of the game has already shipped. Some people have it already. There were some Nico streams up but I think Atlus shut them down for ... some reason.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So do we know if we have the ability to change voiceovers individually because I like certain character's English VAs and some of them are horrible.

Edit: If you cannot hear the Joisey in Labrys' voice you'd probably be okay with it.

I've lived here long enough to hear it though. Holy poo poo.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 25, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Supposedly the NA and Japanese releases both have the same sound/text options so I'll ask someone to check on that and see what choices there are available. Assuming nobody manages to dig that up in the mean time.

Edit: I just realized that button input chart is actually wrong about the burst effects... need to have that fixed.

Here's what they actually do for those curious:

Reversal Burst (Blue Burst): Used while getting hit or blocking. Blows the opponent away. Consumes the whole Burst Gauge.

Max Burst (Gold Burst): Used when at neutral. Blows the opponent away. Refills the SP Gauge to max if it hits. Consumes 75% of the Burst Gauge.

One More Burst: Used to cancel moves on hit/block. Launches the opponent straight up. Removes a decent amount of Tech Proration. Consumes the whole Burst Gauge.

No idea where they got that "Paralysis Wave" thing from.

Another thing that's wrong is that One More Cancel can actually be used to cancel throws. Even some command throws.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 25, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Count Bleck posted:

So do we know if we have the ability to change voiceovers individually because I like certain character's English VAs and some of them are horrible.

Edit: If you cannot hear the Joisey in Labrys' voice you'd probably be okay with it.

I've lived here long enough to hear it though. Holy poo poo.

Haha, I sorta hear it too now. Gonna have to try the robot student council president wise gal now.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

Do what you find most comfortable for your hands and button layout, but you might want to go with a more BB/SCV kind of layout along the lines of:

BCD
A

It's going to be tough to get your thumb and index, middle and ring on the same row if they are all aligned. Dropping your thumb and using just your fingers is going to introduce some strength and dexterity issues. As a piano player, you do specific drills on your pinky and middle finger chords because they are relatively weak. B+D with middle and pinky on the same row will be uncomfortable. A+C with thumb and middle will also be uncomfortable. Getting your thumb in there and excising the pinky would be a good move and probably be a lot more comfortable.

Actually it would only be a slightly silly tip to suggest learning some scales on a piano if you want to improve your button execution and timing. I mean, playing music on the piano is just one really long combo. It's just got more buttons, stricter timing requirements and velocity sensitivity! Reductio ad absurdum ITT. Latin ITT too.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
I'll probably try the same layout I used for BB at first; ABC on top row and D underneath A. The default layout looks like a pain to use, tbh. On a similar topic, anyone know if this game has the good kind of button config?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Solarflare posted:

On a similar topic, anyone know if this game has the good kind of button config?

That it does. Arcsys can deliver that, if nothing else.

Edit: OH JESUS TIMG

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Antillese posted:

Do what you find most comfortable for your hands and button layout, but you might want to go with a more BB/SCV kind of layout along the lines of:

BCD
A

This is actually the old school SNK/Neo-Geo layout.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't really get why anyone things the square layout would be difficult or uncomfortable. Did you guys think doing Focus attacks or throws in SF4 was painful? Or have issues playing KOF13? It's not any different than that.

I mean you are welcome to mess around with the layout but to me it just sounds like the same kind of thing as those people who insist on buying octagonal gates for their joysticks before they've ever used them.

Solarflare posted:

I'll probably try the same layout I used for BB at first; ABC on top row and D underneath A. The default layout looks like a pain to use, tbh. On a similar topic, anyone know if this game has the good kind of button config?

That would be like, the most confusing layout. Throw is C+D. Using the one I mentioned above would actually make sense if you played BB. That is:

ACD
B

Because then C+D is throw, exactly how it was in BB. Plus then you only have ONE button combo that isn't adjacent, and that's B+D.

I wonder if you can also OMC using A+B+D and OMB using B+C+D? Don't think I've heard mention if you can or not.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 25, 2012

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
While I would normally go KOF style with the layout, it honestly seems like it's going to be way less of a headache to just keep the default layout, messing up an R-action or an EX move just seems that much easier if I space stuff out.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
As I said earlier, if you are using the default layout you don't need to have a finger on D at all times, and instead you can just use your Middle Finger for both C and D and if you need to do a throw/skill boost you can just use your Index Finger for D then. The only time you would need to use your Ring Finger is for a burst.

Anyways, Kurushii has begun to make videos of each characters challenge mode and is putting them on Jourdal's channel, so if you wanted a peek at any characters challenges/combos you can check them out now.

Here are all of the currently uploaded ones, with the other ones coming tonight:

Yu Narukami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9zE8jd0fo
Chie Satonaka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXLA03UoEQ
Naoto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaLGI_7U-4
Mitsuru: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0EB2BFeGJ4
Aigis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbihoMMp_no
Elizabeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843x6Jki9yM
Labrys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbkVw5vBG8U

One thing that I think is really interesting is that each characters #30 challenge isn't just some hard combo, but instead it wants you figure out how to put together a combo containing what they give you (ie; for Aigis it wants you to make a combo involving her entire move list, and for Narukami it wants you to fit three Cross Slash's into one combo). It is certainly more interesting than just having a really long combo to end it, and I can't help but be amused by the little pop up messages on the side.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Black Mage Knight posted:

One thing that I think is really interesting is that each characters #30 challenge isn't just some hard combo, but instead it wants you figure out how to put together a combo containing what they give you (ie; for Aigis it wants you to make a combo involving her entire move list, and for Narukami it wants you to fit three Cross Slash's into one combo). It is certainly more interesting than just having a really long combo to end it, and I can't help but be amused by the little pop up messages on the side.

Think about it.

No cheating!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Some noteworthy early impressions from Kurushii and others:

- 8 player lobby
- Loading is faster than BBCSEX without even being installed. When installed it's crazy fast on load times.
- Training Mode corner moving with Select+Direction

- The extra Navigators are unlockable apparently. ?Maybe? There's definitely DLC available already for colors/glasses/navigators.

- Looks like voice support is all one language or the other. So no mixing and matching characters. :/

A bunch more color schemes for everyone too: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201207/26018618.html

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 26, 2012

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Is BB-style (delay-based) netcode confirmed and if so does P4U still have the five frames of repeated inputs when a button is held down?

Also that select plus direction to move to a corner is the best thing :swoon:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The special downloadable colors contain colors from Persona 3.

Yu is Ryoji Mochizuki, Yosuke is Jin Shirato, Chie is Fuuka Yamagishi, Yukiko is Yukari Takeba, Kanji is Akihiko Sanada, Naoto is Ken Amada, Teddie is Koromaru, Aigis is Labrys, Akihiko is Takaya Sakaki, Mitsuru is Junpei Iori, and the Labryses are Marie from Persona 4 Godlen and the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable

I find it funny a certain someone wasn't represented by a color, though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Pretty sure Yu has a persona 3 male protag color in the arcade release right? Also spoilers for colors come on.

In any case if they make the male protag playable that's fuckin' stupid. I'd rather have the drat dog.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Pretty sure Yu has a persona 3 male protag color in the arcade release right? Also spoilers for colors come on.

In any case if they make the male protag playable that's fuckin' stupid. I'd rather have the drat dog.

I was just looking up colors and yeah there is one. We already have people sharing colors with people in the game though so I don't think it matters.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

LightningKimba posted:

Teddie is Koromaru

There goes any chance of the best persona character getting in the game :smith:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Veev posted:

I was just looking up colors and yeah there is one. We already have people sharing colors with people in the game though so I don't think it matters.

Yeah probably not. I'd rather they just I dunno make Shadow Yu like a full fledged character. That'd be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Dogbutt posted:

There goes any chance of the best persona character getting in the game :smith:

Well, Kanji gets a color patterned after a character that's already in the game.

• Locked thread