Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

Leperflesh posted:

There's no A-team in Battletech because the real A-team was full of good guys who never ever killed anyone (despite using guns a lot).

Especially the death commandos can't be the A-team because of that.

This is more like... if Stalin kicked a regiment of his best guys (who have previously been besieging Warsaw) out of his army for allowing Lenin to get killed, and they're trying to regain their honor by attacking Nazi SS reserve troops behind enemy lines, or something. (Yes I'm sure I just made several gross historical errors but you get what I mean.)

Or uh... if a bunch of evil minions let Doctor Doom get killed, so they're regaining their honor by attacking some Skrulls.

Or wait I know: if a cell of Al'Queda elites is responsible for failing to protect Osama bin Laden, so they're regaining their honor by attacking Hezbollah somewhere in Iran.

Okay these analogies are horrible I'll shut up now.

The only analogy that matters for our Death Commandos is contained in their new credo: Victory is life

so would that make citizen Xiang Weyun... or Dukat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

A jump is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for passengers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the JumpShip than on the passenger. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move 30 light years, and disembark.

...is this in reference to lostlunch.jpg? :rimshot:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Wales Grey posted:

For the uninitiated, Transition-Disorientation-Syndrome is actually a thing in Battletech. It's the :science: version of airsickness.

I definitely remember reading about that in TotC when Sandra Barclay got sick. Only reason I remember it was that I was thinking, "Stop talking about mundane poo poo and get to the stompy, shooty robots!"

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Has Remora or Olesh checked in on the thread? We haven't heard from them in the strategy document yet. If you're around, please contact Brandy Collins or me for the link.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Thanks for that, now I've got the goddamn theme in my head. :suicide:

Well at least you're not constantly confusing it for the anime parody version.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

A jump is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for passengers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the JumpShip than on the passenger. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move 30 light years, and disembark. VVVV

Someone please photoshop this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dammit, if only I had ever painted my minis.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This is the best thread. I should never let posts pile up here unread.

Also I realize that with twelve players, despite PTN's speed rules, turns are going to be pretty sluggish. hint hint players

Still, this scenario is still pretty bad-rear end. Looking forward to it.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Teledahn posted:

Also I realize that with twelve players, despite PTN's speed rules, turns are going to be pretty sluggish. hint hint players

We have our 11th order set being constructed as we speak, so we should have them in soon! And soon you'll get to peek at our process through the Google doc.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Teledahn posted:

We had half the turns set within 16 hours of the scenario start, I don't think we're going to have the same issues as with other teams (I hope)

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

That's much better than the alternative.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6185597/the-a-b-and-c-team

The C-Team probably headed with Caesar Steiner as Hannibal.

Which begs the question, which merc companies have a reputation for incompetence?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

TerryLennox posted:

That's much better than the alternative.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6185597/the-a-b-and-c-team

The C-Team probably headed with Caesar Steiner as Hannibal.

Which begs the question, which merc companies have a reputation for incompetence?

Eridani Light Horse :haw:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wilson's Hussars. Most units that get a rep for incompetence don't stay in business long enough for us to know about them but WH is an exception.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What about that Merc Group that you fought in MW4: Mercenaries?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

They weren't incompetent, just greatly outclassed. :smugdog:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Artificer posted:

Burr's Black Cobras :argh:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I dunno about not incompetent. I wrecked their poo poo pretty badly. :smug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Teledahn posted:

I've got orders from everyone except Radintorov (who I know is coming) and Olesh (who I have no idea about). I've asked AJ_Impy to send in some back-up orders for the Flashman just in case. If Olesh misses the deadline, the `Mech is getting passed to AJ.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Artificer posted:

I dunno about not incompetent. I wrecked their poo poo pretty badly. :smug:

I'm pretty sure you're canonically a 0/1 pilot in MW4 mercs. If you didn't wreck their poo poo you'd have been the incompetent one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MJ12 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're canonically a 0/1 pilot in MW4 mercs. If you didn't wreck their poo poo you'd have been the incompetent one.

Hence why I said they weren't incompetent, just greatly outclassed. It'd be like calling every IS unit that fought the Clans during the first part of the invasion incompetent because they got their poo poo pushed in by genetically engineered supermen with crazy magic technology.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got orders from everyone except Radintorov (who I know is coming) and Olesh (who I have no idea about). I've asked AJ_Impy to send in some back-up orders for the Flashman just in case. If Olesh misses the deadline, the `Mech is getting passed to AJ.

Hey, sorry about that. Midterms just hit for the summer semester and this is the first time I've been able to check the thread in days. Would it be possible to give the flag to AJ_impy and push me back down the list a ways? I'll be tied up for the next week or so.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Understood, Olesh. Good luck in the midterms.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AJ_Impy posted:

You are now responsible for the finest piece of Star League tech this side of Terra. Make me proud.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Let me say this, in MW4 Mercs think of how easily you slap the poo poo out of vtols, while running at speed. Realize that for an average pilot that would be pretty impossible to do. Your guy is... THAT GOOD.

AJ_Impy posted:

:ese: you better understand the responsibilities you have.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AtomikKrab posted:

Let me say this, in MW4 Mercs think of how easily you slap the poo poo out of vtols, while running at speed. Realize that for an average pilot that would be pretty impossible to do. Your guy is... THAT GOOD.

That's because Mechwarrior doesn't model the bullshit tabletop rules that use magic plot armor to protect the engine and rotors of helicopters and poo poo. So you're so good you break the laws of reality to blow them up.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TerryLennox posted:

Well, there's Wilsson's Hussars, though they're more suffering from being atrociously unlucky.

Kinda-sorta, there's also Ace Darwin's WhipIts. More of a "you never know what you get" kind of deal, though.

sarna.net posted:

Ace Darwin's WhipIts are best described as a non-traditional mercenary unit or perhaps as a loose mercenary cartel. Ace Darwin was a MechWarrior who re-formed his command every time he accepted a mercenary contract, assembling the people he could gather on Outreach and en route for individual contracts. The loosely organized unit has varied in size from six 'Mechs to two companies plus armor and aerospace fighters.

Rather than repaint their 'Mechs, "unit members" paint a pink paw on their 'Mech's heel. Darwin himself pilots a Panther he painted pink and named Pink Panther, which the unit insignia references. Although Darwin had no formal command training and relied on his charisma, the WhipIts' overall performance was good.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Of course, the entire reason Ace Darwin's WhipIts ever succeeded at anything is because Ace Darwin himself has the most bullshit special ability of all time.

Whenever you can see Ace Darwin's Panther, you have to shoot at it instead of other targets.

Even if it's impossible.

Even if there's an assault 'Mech about to club you to death.

It turns out that a pink-painted Panther is so infuriating, even a thousand years into the future, that you can't help but chase it around while Yakety Sax or other appropriate music plays in the background.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Of course, the entire reason Ace Darwin's WhipIts ever succeeded at anything is because Ace Darwin himself has the most bullshit special ability of all time.

Second-most. The Death Commandos can select any mech from any Inner Sphere RAT they want (without rolling, they just pick it). There's no restrictions vis a vis faction tech or anything so a company of Death Commandos can roll with literally every piece of faction-specific tech in the game in 3062. Or if you want to be a real dick you can do this:

Daishi x4
Mad Cat x4
Black Hawk x4

And just for that little extra layer of bullshit, they also ignore any special ability that affects them, so Ace Darwin's ability does nothing.

...God drat the LCAF got hosed on abilities. The best unit in the entire Inner Sphere (the 2nd Donegal) gets off-map movement and a weight modifier.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 26, 2012

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

It turns out that a pink-painted Panther is so infuriating, even a thousand years into the future, that you can't help but chase it around while Yakety Sax or other appropriate music plays in the background.

Which is exactly why playing the WhipIts is awesome. Though Ace tends to get his ride ruined rather very often due to this. Still, nothing like watching a single Panther painted in hot pink being chased by a whole company of heavies and assaults with murder in their eyes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zaodai posted:

That's because Mechwarrior doesn't model the bullshit tabletop rules that use magic plot armor to protect the engine and rotors of helicopters and poo poo. So you're so good you break the laws of reality to blow them up.
That probably also explains why every single 'mech you destroy, explodes.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got orders from everyone except Radintorov
Sorry about that: I forgot to actually send you my orders. PM has been sent and I'm good to go.

Magni posted:

Kinda-sorta, there's also Ace Darwin's WhipIts. More of a "you never know what you get" kind of deal, though.
I had to open up Sarna.net and read about them, because I could not believe that such a unit (and person) existed. Also that special ability is hilarious.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh, and given that people are talking about the A-Team:

There's actually an in-universe series in the FWL called The Bounty Hunters that's basically one huge shout-out to the A-Team. It's just a disgraced FWLM elite unit taking up the identity of the Bounty Hunter&Co instead.:allears:

The series jumped the shark post-Clan Invasion because the team was suddenly working together with a shady FWL intelligence officer against some new villains that definitely who Clanners. :v:

Not to mention the original Zeta Battalion roster.
vvvvvvvvv

Magni fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 26, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking of shout-outs, if you have FM:LA, check out the roster for the 25th Arcturan Guards and you'll see why they are one of my favorite units.

(If you don't have it, check their Sarna entry under 3062).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I am going to get the most kills this mission or die trying. Run hot or go home.

edit; Do we specify if we want Inferno ammo or not or is it just given to us? I'm torn on wether to get Infernos or not.

Affi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 26, 2012

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Zaodai posted:

Not to mention that MW4 Mercs modeled all non-mech assets as if they were made of origami paper.

Scrapping demolisher primes with a 2 large laser hit never got old.

When I played MWLL and could afford my first demo it was very nice going face-to-face with a pair of pumas, thrashing them and then going back to repair with moderate damage, my face was :unsmigghh:.

I would put my name down but I'm terrible at tabletop. I get my rear end handed in chess regularly.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Zaodai posted:

Hence why I said they weren't incompetent, just greatly outclassed. It'd be like calling every IS unit that fought the Clans during the first part of the invasion incompetent because they got their poo poo pushed in by genetically engineered supermen with crazy magic technology.
Actually, I thought it was the exact opposite. The IS actually did generally well during the first part of the invasion because the clans for all their magically macguffins just couldn't adapt to conventional tactics. Once the IS pretty much pissed off the clans they pretty much forced their way through.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Okay, every active pilot is set up to be able to edit without having the doc be editable to everyone with a link, so....

Hard Landing

Anyone with the link can comment. Useful comments will be appreciated. If you abuse this we are taking it away.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Affi posted:

Do we specify if we want Inferno ammo or not or is it just given to us? I'm torn on wether to get Infernos or not.

You do need to specify. You have 2 tons each of SRM and LRM ammo, so it's not a bad idea to have 1 ton inferno and 1 ton iLK per type.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

TerryLennox posted:

I would put my name down but I'm terrible at tabletop. I get my rear end handed in chess regularly.

I'd say half the people on the list have never played tabletop mechwarrior before. Take a chance and try it out, a google doc does wonders for organizing everyone and the more experienced among the group can help everyone else.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rivensteel posted:

You do need to specify. You have 2 tons each of SRM and LRM ammo, so it's not a bad idea to have 1 ton inferno and 1 ton iLK per type.

Do we have access to inferno LRMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Do we have access to inferno LRMs?

Oh, good question, I'm not sure. Sarna says they exist, but PTN would have to clarify.

• Locked thread