Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago. I was not a fan of it at all.
I wasn't having a hard time understanding the movie, just understanding what it wanted to be. At some points it tried to be really serious and evocative then it shatters it the next moment with ridiculousness. So its ends up as a very spotty comedy.
Maybe its just that its varying aspects reached a meme status by now for films and television but when Ride of the Valkyries started to play and the characters had to yell over it to continue their chat about surfing It just seemed like a silly joke.
The movie is from start to finish, people making really bad choices and then dieing.

It probably didn't help that I had previously seen the documentary Machete Maidens Unleashed! before watching this. It talks about some of the gross or shady parts of its filming which I imagine would suck some of the magic out of it.

I take it you've never read Heart of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I wasn't having a hard time understanding the movie, just understanding what it wanted to be. At some points it tried to be really serious and evocative then it shatters it the next moment with ridiculousness. So its ends up as a very spotty comedy.
Maybe its just that its varying aspects reached a meme status by now for films and television but when Ride of the Valkyries started to play and the characters had to yell over it to continue their chat about surfing It just seemed like a silly joke.
The movie is from start to finish, people making really bad choices and then dieing.

It probably didn't help that I had previously seen the documentary Machete Maidens Unleashed! before watching this. It talks about some of the gross or shady parts of its filming which I imagine would suck some of the magic out of it.

Some parts of the movie are supposed to be funny in a hosed up way. The whole sequence with Robert Duvall is one of those moments. The movie is about atmosphere. Vietnam as a surreal hellscape and what that brings out in people.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

You're probably not a fan of Catch-22 either, right? Apocalypse Now, Catch-22, and things like them fall into the category of art that really tries to bring out the surreality of these situations, and one of the main ways to do that is through discordant elements of humor.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That WAS a joke.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Knightmare posted:

Finally finished my 24 binge. Think it took 2 weeks? I definitely widened the parameters and opened a socket and set up a perimeter on my bandwidth.

I hope you checked there aren't any protocols running and the threat's no longer active. Show set new standards for jargon and control room drama.

I watched that BKO Bangkok Knockout, that movie is amazing. Crazy athleticism and energy.

TNT Jackson: rather sleazy Corman produced 1974 kung fu with a couple of the funniest bad soundtrack edits I've heard and cheesy but decent-to-awesome fight choreography.

Apocalypse Now: I always thought it was overrated but now I just enjoy the mise en scene. I think Marlon Brando let them down. I never thought his performance delivers anyway, but who knows what a different performance would have been like.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ip Man, the best mix of martial arts and manipulative nationalistic Chinese propaganda since Hero. Expires July 26.

All your recommendations are pretty great, but I'll throw in another last minute plug for this. I JUST finished watching this, finally, having been alerted by your post that it was expiring.

I just really enjoyed the Ip Man character and the actor that portrayed him. He just had the kindness and dignity that you'd expect of a true martial arts hero. Very enjoyable film.

Downfall is one of the best films of any type I've seen in recent years, too.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I usually post in the other Netflix thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed to death but Castaway on the Moon is probably the best movie on Netflix right now.

I have yet to meet a person who hasn't fallen in love with this movie after I finally was able to force them to watch it (what do people hate so much about subtitles?). It almost breaks my heart how little known it is because it's such great storytelling.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Starcrash was a solid recommendation. So allow me throw out another classic of bad cinema:

The Stuff is available now, and it's an amazing piece of 80's horror cinema.

Without spoiling this masterpiece, it's the story of this... substance... that is so delicious that it replaces ice cream. And it's ice cream competitors don't cotton to this "stuff".

Trust me. Watch it. I'm so serious.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Starcrash was a solid recommendation. So allow me throw out another classic of bad cinema:

The Stuff is available now, and it's an amazing piece of 80's horror cinema.

Without spoiling this masterpiece, it's the story of this... substance... that is so delicious that it replaces ice cream. And it's ice cream competitors don't cotton to this "stuff".

Trust me. Watch it. I'm so serious.

Listen to this man.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Tewratomeh posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow Fishing With John slipped under my radar onto streaming a few days ago. It's a faux-documentary series where John Lurie (musician and Jim Jarmusch actor) goes on fishing expeditions with random celebrity guests, and things get a little odd. Watch it if you like really surreal, downbeat humor and/or Jim Jarmusch.

Check it out.

Thank you for this. Now I need to buy the dvd so I can watch it with the commentary track.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wabbit posted:

I watched that BKO Bangkok Knockout, that movie is amazing. Crazy athleticism and energy.

Pretty sure I mentioned this movie in the thread before but god drat if Wabbit isn't right. Non-stop action packed movie that'll leave you with your mouth hanging open.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Volume posted:

Pretty sure I mentioned this movie in the thread before but god drat if Wabbit isn't right. Non-stop action packed movie that'll leave you with your mouth hanging open.

Yeah, I watched it because of your post and was just seconding the recommendation. Anyone who likes the Jackie Chan stunt school kind of stuff and doesn't mind a fight movie with a perfunctory plot as long as the action is good will be happy I think.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

User-Friendly posted:

Her husband was frequently gone for long periods of time with no explanation, she had just discovered he repeatedly lied to her (including about a second cell phone), and in her mind they were separated. She tried to throw him out, and he literally broke into the house.

Ted was a friendly guy, who actually seemed to give a poo poo about her. In a time where her husband was being awful towards her. Saying she was motivated by revenge is a really, really dumb interpretation of the show.

Breaking Bad Skylar chat:

So as long as "in their minds they are separated" any spouse can frequently bang anyone they think is "friendly", rub their infidelity in their partners faces for the sole purpose of hurting them, and be justified in doing all this? Wow, some of you people have some hosed up ideas about relationships.

No one is excusing what Walt did, and no one is saying he's a good person or was justified in becoming a bad person. But Skylar is also a very bad person, and people justifying the sadistic and selfish things she's done blows my mind. Walt is a horrible monster but he's never done anything to purposefully hurt his family, particularly his wife.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 26, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

Listen to this man.

He called it "bad cinema". :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

He called it "bad cinema". :(

That's, like, the best kind!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Like a lot of Larry Cohen's movies, The Stuff isn't quite as good as its concept- it's one of those horror comedies that has trouble finding out just how scary it wants to be vs. how funny- but it's memorable nonetheless. (And Cohen has made some genuinely really good films too.)

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Sound of Noise streams today. Looks good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Unzip and Attack posted:

No one is excusing what Walt did, and no one is saying he's a good person or was justified in becoming a bad person. But Skylar is also a very bad person, and people justifying the sadistic and selfish things she's done blows my mind. Walt is a horrible monster but he's never done anything to purposefully hurt his family, particularly his wife.

Uh, yeah he did. He could've accepted money to pay for his treatment.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, "doing it for his family" is just Walt's excuse. He's really doing it to satisfy his ego and to avoid accepting charity. I mean, Walt has cooked and sold meth, murdered people, poisoned an innocent child, and lied repeatedly to his wife and son. Skylar slept with some dude. They aren't even comparable. Walt's done a hell of a lot more to hurt his family then whatever Skylar's done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
On top of that, he trapped her in his lie and used their kids against her to keep her complacent. She even brings it up in the last season - "You get to be the loving father who's desperate to provide for his family, and I get to be the bitch mom who won't cut you any slack."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I usually post in the other Netflix thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed to death but Castaway on the Moon is probably the best movie on Netflix right now.

I have yet to meet a person who hasn't fallen in love with this movie after I finally was able to force them to watch it (what do people hate so much about subtitles?). It almost breaks my heart how little known it is because it's such great storytelling.

Castaway on the Moon is an incredible movie and if you liked that then you would probably also like Fish Story.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

So as long as "in their minds they are separated" any spouse can frequently bang anyone they think is "friendly", rub their infidelity in their partners faces for the sole purpose of hurting them, and be justified in doing all this? Wow, some of you people have some hosed up ideas about relationships.

Also lying to your wife about anything is hurtful.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yes but this completely ignores how he emphasizes that he doesn't want money just for treatment, but that he wants to leave his family enough money that they can live comfortably if he dies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He's "doing it for his family," except when Skylar finds out and gets involved out of self-preservation, he chafes at being a part of a real family again, lashes out and intentionally tries to sabotage the plans that would allow them to live comfortably after he dies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Manky posted:

Yes but this completely ignores how he emphasizes that he doesn't want money just for treatment, but that he wants to leave his family enough money that they can live comfortably if he dies.

If you're arguing that his decision is ultimately pragmatic, you'll forgive me if I don't double down on his wife for being frustrated and baffled by his selfishness.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

If you're arguing that his decision is ultimately pragmatic, you'll forgive me if I don't double down on his wife for being frustrated and baffled by his selfishness.

The reason Breaking Bad is a good show is because each character has complex motivations that can't be objectively boiled down to "ultimately" anything! :hfive:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Manky posted:

The reason Breaking Bad is a good show is because each character has complex motivations that can't be objectively boiled down to "ultimately" anything! :hfive:

Fair enough. Spoiler derail over!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Castaway on the Moon is an incredible movie and if you liked that then you would probably also like Fish Story.

It's been on my "To Watch" list for awhile now, I'll be sure to bump it up.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

foodfight posted:

Also lying to your wife about anything is hurtful.

There is a stark difference between lying to someone and doing something for the sole purpose of hurting that person. Skylar told Walt she was loving her boss for the sole purpose of hurting Walt. Walt, for all of his horrible deeds, hasn't done anything with the sole purpose of hurting Skylar. Skylar has been hurt by Walt's actions sure, but he has always believed that what he was doing would ultimately make her happier. He's foolish to have believed any of his own BS, but at least he's just deluded instead of malicious.

Again, nothing justifies what Walt has done. But nothing justifies Skylar's behavior either. By the 4th season it's clear that she's a willing participant in Walt's evil deeds. Walt hides behind his "family", but so does Skylar. She could have gone to the police at the very beginning and still been able to salvage her life and the lives of her kids. Instead she's decided that the money is too awesome so gently caress it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Walt is a horrible person who hasn't been doing anything "for his family" since like episode 5 or 6, and if you don't see that then I'm not sure you're understanding the show.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yall do know there's a Breaking Bad thread for this, right?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yall do know there's a Breaking Bad thread for this, right?

Yeah, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to discuss it there. Wasn't that the thread that made the mods ban the word "oval office" from the subforum? I don't know about the current thread, but some of the previous ones were pretty horrible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I loving hate this derail, but seriously, no one deserves the hell that is TVIV.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
All this to say - if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, you really should. People can have wildly varying opinions about the actions of the characters and none will be the "right" opinion. To me that's the measure of a great show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to discuss it there. Wasn't that the thread that made the mods ban the word "oval office" from the subforum? I don't know about the current thread, but some of the previous ones were pretty horrible.

Incredible that you even have to have the discussion.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah, because anyone who disagrees with your interpretation of fictional characters is a complete moron and should just shut the gently caress up, amiright?

It's posts like yours that make the TVIV subforum so unbearable.

In other news, I heard on the radio that Netflix reported a big loss in revenue this quarter. :( Netflix is so much more tolerable than Hulu plus - having to sit through commericials is bad enough but Hulu streaming is really unreliable in my area for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What on earth are you talking about.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah, because anyone who disagrees with your interpretation of fictional characters is a complete moron and should just shut the gently caress up, amiright?

It's posts like yours that make the TVIV subforum so unbearable.
Actually it's you!!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Cool. Lets talk about movies again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but if anyone hasn't seen Kagemusha and has even the slightest interest in medieval Japan, it's by far my favorite film dealing with that era. It's not as cheesy as Ran and not as slow as The Seven Samurai - definitely worth a watch.

• Locked thread