Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Yeah, nuts on studs. Thanks guys, I guess I can take it into a shop and have them take an impact gun to it, don't want to gently caress things up even more here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Discomancer posted:

Yeah, nuts on studs. Thanks guys, I guess I can take it into a shop and have them take an impact gun to it, don't want to gently caress things up even more here.

Harbor Freight's electric impact gun is $50 or less and awesome for occasional use.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have Neiko impact gun, works nicely. Remember to keep NiCad batteries under 50% charge when in storage, or as low as you can without hitting 0v on any of the cells. At high charge they form dendrites.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Lithium-ion supremacy. :smug:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

nsaP posted:

I almost shared a john boat with a friend but I got out before it ruined our friendship and john boats don't crash so easy.

I almost shared a john with a friend, but I got out before it got weird.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

I almost shared a john with a friend, but I got out before it got weird.

I almost shared my friend with a john, but it got weird before I got it out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My friend John and I shared some words so I told him to get out

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
If you're a fisherperson from below the mason-dixon who loves him some motorcycles, you can now avoid the perils of sharing a john boat and combine your two favourite hobbies into one!

Sharing with a friend can still end in tragedy, for obvious reasons.

(Before anyone asks, the rack for the duck gun is on the left side.)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My GS500 just passed the 10,000 km mark (just over 6,000 miles), and ever since a few weeks ago, I've noticed a new clicking sound in time with the engine. It doesn't click with every turnover though. Sounds random, a little like morse-code, noticeable at idle:

code:
chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga 
clk     clk clk clk     clk clk     clk clk clk     clk     clk 
A friend thought it might be slightly loose valves, which is ok, but was confused why the clicking sound doesn't occur on ever turnover of the engine.

(PS what is the technical (or 'more correct') term to describe the engine turning over chugga chugga chugga?)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

epalm posted:

(PS what is the technical (or 'more correct') term to describe the engine turning over chugga chugga chugga?)

I'm pretty sure that's as technical as it gets, homie

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

epalm posted:

A video.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

epalm posted:

My GS500 just passed the 10,000 km mark (just over 6,000 miles), and ever since a few weeks ago, I've noticed a new clicking sound in time with the engine. It doesn't click with every turnover though. Sounds random, a little like morse-code, noticeable at idle:

code:
chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga chu gga 
clk     clk clk clk     clk clk     clk clk clk     clk     clk 
A friend thought it might be slightly loose valves, which is ok, but was confused why the clicking sound doesn't occur on ever turnover of the engine.

Does the sound stop/quiet when you lean the bike to the left? There's a known issue with the camshafts moving side to side with some engine models, but it isn't supposed to cause damage.

Check out the Suzuki service bulletin for this problem, and see if this is the issue.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Also check your timing chain tension(er). Not sure what the GS uses but I've heard several loose timing chains that sounded like a morse code click.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Replaced the brakes yesterday, weather cleared, and I went to bed them. Found a parking lot. 60-10, two laps, repeat 6x. Rear brake was 40-10.

Then I went on a bit of a ride to scrub the new tires. The front brakes are dragging. After about 2 minutes at 35mph, they start to squeak. Any application of the brakes makes the squeak stop. Hard stops makes the sound go away longer. The brake discs are hot to the touch with no use of the brakes.

Normal for new pads? Will it go away? Will I glaze these by riding 50-70miles at 75mph on Monday?

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I bought my first motorcycle on Saturday, and while I was riding around Sunday afternoon I discovered a fun fact about the bike at... Not the LEAST opportune time, but pretty bad nonetheless.

The key won't stay in the ignition. I turn the bike on, and the key is supposed to stay put, right? Wrong. My key-chain was rattling against something in an annoying way, so I tried to flick it over the top of the ignition and it flings out of the ignition and into traffic on Denny Way just south of Seattle Center. I managed to wave a car aside and grab it before more than one car ran over my key-chain. Luckily my key wasn't damaged.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or should I just keep tucking my keys in my jacket pocket while I ride, then pulling em back out to turn off the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DJ_Ferret posted:

I bought my first motorcycle on Saturday, and while I was riding around Sunday afternoon I discovered a fun fact about the bike at... Not the LEAST opportune time, but pretty bad nonetheless.

The key won't stay in the ignition. I turn the bike on, and the key is supposed to stay put, right? Wrong. My key-chain was rattling against something in an annoying way, so I tried to flick it over the top of the ignition and it flings out of the ignition and into traffic on Denny Way just south of Seattle Center. I managed to wave a car aside and grab it before more than one car ran over my key-chain. Luckily my key wasn't damaged.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or should I just keep tucking my keys in my jacket pocket while I ride, then pulling em back out to turn off the bike.

What bike is this on? A number of Harleys I've ridden have keys that "unlock" the ignition panel, which then can be rotate without a key.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
2004 Ninja 500r. It doesn't have an unlock like that as far as I know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DJ_Ferret posted:

2004 Ninja 500r. It doesn't have an unlock like that as far as I know.

Nope, it definitely does not. Bike probably had the ignition punched at some point in the past. Can you turn it with a screwdriver?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

What bike is this on? A number of Harleys I've ridden have keys that "unlock" the ignition panel, which then can be rotate without a key.

Maybe use some Loc-Tite to keep the key in place. :twisted:

Don't do this.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

What's the collective understanding on CA about warming up the engine? For an air cooled bike is it better to leave the choke on for 5 minutes with the bike resting on it's side stand, or riding it with the choke on and gradually closing it as the bike gets warm?

Edit: for reference, I usually start the engine with the choke on and just let the bike sit there for about 5 minutes. I hadn't thought about the possibility of riding it with the choke on or half open or anything like that and wanted some input on it. If I can just start the drat thing and ride it with the choke on and close it after a mile or so it'll make life much easier.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 31, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
As part of cekebrating my getting a new job, I got a set of Galfer brake lines for my SV's front system. After installing the new lines, I went to pour brake fluid into the MC and the fluid won't go down into the lines. I pumped the brake lever but it would just give off a couple air bubbles and then not do anything after that. I compared the washers with the Galfer front brake lines on my other SV, and they seem to be fine. 3 washers at the MC, and 2 washers for each caliper. The calipers have speed bleeders too. What gives?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Your brakes need to be bled. Tighten everything up, fill the system up, crack open the speed bleeder, and get to work. =)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

What's the collective understanding on CA about warming up the engine? For an air cooled bike is it better to leave the choke on for 5 minutes with the bike resting on it's side stand, or riding it with the choke on and gradually closing it as the bike gets warm?

Edit: for reference, I usually start the engine with the choke on and just let the bike sit there for about 5 minutes. I hadn't thought about the possibility of riding it with the choke on or half open or anything like that and wanted some input on it. If I can just start the drat thing and ride it with the choke on and close it after a mile or so it'll make life much easier.

I start my bike with the choke on, ride it for a minute, and gradually back it down until the bike runs normally. It's going to run on a little at lower RPM when you have the choke on, so be aware of that (more fuel, higher idle, bike will pull a bit forward with the throttle shut)

the walkin dude posted:

As part of cekebrating my getting a new job, I got a set of Galfer brake lines for my SV's front system. After installing the new lines, I went to pour brake fluid into the MC and the fluid won't go down into the lines. I pumped the brake lever but it would just give off a couple air bubbles and then not do anything after that. I compared the washers with the Galfer front brake lines on my other SV, and they seem to be fine. 3 washers at the MC, and 2 washers for each caliper. The calipers have speed bleeders too. What gives?

Get a vacuum bleeder to pull the fluid through the lines.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I would say in general the older the bike is or the more racing focused the bike is the more the bike will want to be warmed up. Dirtbikes with real race engines I always warm up very carefully. Just let it come up to temperature slowly via idling. This is especially important if the bike has forged pistons.

With older bikes if you can get away with running on the choke and it doesn't foul plugs or really sputter I'd probably just go for it. I just wouldn't romp on the motor until you've been riding it for ~5 minutes. 5 minutes of easy riding should get just about any bike up to operating temps. ~*My 1971 Yamaha R5~* gets really grumpy about being ridden cold, so I have to idle it to warm it up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

I start my bike with the choke on, ride it for a minute, and gradually back it down until the bike runs normally.
This is the procedure for all motor vehicles. Drive it to warm it up, just don't hammer on it. No need to idle and wait.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EFI and water-cooled, starts up on the first crank every time and ready to go immediately. :whatup:

But seriously, I think it's been pretty well proven that the best and most efficient way to warm up any engine is to drive the drat thing just don't ream on it until it comes up to operating temperature. Idling an engine takes forever to warm it up and wastes a lot of gas.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is the procedure for all motor vehicles. Drive it to warm it up, just don't hammer on it. No need to idle and wait.

Doing it this way helps the whole bike warm up at once, too. Warm engine with cold brakes and tires is a bit of a dicey combo - even if it's essentially an issue with the wingnut behind the tank.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

clutchpuck posted:

Doing it this way helps the whole bike warm up at once, too. Warm engine with cold brakes and tires is a bit of a dicey combo - even if it's essentially an issue with the wingnut behind the tank.

Yea. This has been my mantra as well. With cars and now the bike too. Once oil pressure has been reached (usually occurs a few seconds starting) your good to start moving. Just be gentle and progressive with the revs using more revs as oil temps rise.

My starting procedure is as follows,

Full choke
Start button + crack throttle a bit
Feather choke down to 2500rpm
Put on gloves and helmet
Choke down to 1600rpm which is just above idle
Ride for 1 minute (usually two stoplights)
Choke off

Once you get a routine going it's nothing at all.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Idling to warm up is a chump's game. I don't even start it when I'm gearing up, I duck walk that bitch out the driveway then bump it going down the street.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Heck, I've just been duckwalking it the whole way without even turning the key on. Feels kinda gutless on inclines but my fuel economy has been spectacular.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Don't listen to any of these guys if you have wiseco pistons (you probably don't).

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I have a 250 rebel it hardly has pistons.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Z3n posted:

Nope, it definitely does not. Bike probably had the ignition punched at some point in the past. Can you turn it with a screwdriver?

I can turn it far enough to dis-engage the steering column lock, which is mildly disconcerting. I think I need to get a u-lock or a chain or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I used to be religious about warming up my RS125 - idle on choke for 5-10 minutes depending on air temperature (noticeably the largest digital display was the water temperature, and it showed COLD in massive letters until it was at 40 degrees) then clsoe the choke and ride off keeping it below 6,000 rpm and 1/4 throttle until it hit 80, exactly as the manual said I should. That was a bike that had piston and ring replacement at 12k kms as an actual service item though.

On modern bikes though, as many have said, as long as you're not bouncing it off the limiter the second you start it, you'll be fine riding off as soon as it starts.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DJ_Ferret posted:

I can turn it far enough to dis-engage the steering column lock, which is mildly disconcerting. I think I need to get a u-lock or a chain or something.

You need a new ignition barrel and keys. The old one is probably located by security bolts which will need to be drilled out and replaced with new. Look on e-bay for an aftermarket part to fit, or here is an example (not necessarily your year):

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kawasaki/gpz_500_s_ex_500_a2-a3/88-89/picture/ignition_switch/

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've been hitting a lot of false neutrals between 2nd and 3rd on the WRX. At first I thought it was cause I spent a few hours in a parking lot and the dirt so the oil was getting too hot, but it's been happening on longer rides too. I have regular Rotella 15w-40 in there (manual calls for 20w-40). Should I step up to a higher grade of oil (T6, AMSoil or whatever) or should I up the weight to a 50. It is pretty hot where I am and I'm guessing the skidplate blocking air doesn't help either.

I just hope I'm not losing a gear. :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

Don't listen to any of these guys if you have wiseco pistons (you probably don't).

OEM pistons till you hit the bore limit 4 lyfe.

On the DRZ, I start it with full choke, put my helmet and gloves on, then turn the choke off and ride.

On the two strokes, I choke them till they can rev cleanly (usually less than 30 seconds), and I take off. If your bike really needs minutes upon minutes of choke to run right, its time to look into carburetion issues.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On these warm days, my bike will start on the first or second kick with the choke open and the first kick with it closed. And that's from cold; with the engine hot it starts on one kick regardless of choke position. After about 10 seconds of idling with the choke on, it starts to bog and runs better if I open it up again. Accelerating with the choke on feels like riding through mud. Does this mean I'm running too rich, or is that all within the normal range?

Basically the choke for me works as an optional "make sure you start it on the first kick like a badass" lever, not anything critical to engine operation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

oh god this scares me. you mean the lack of warming up or the bumpstarting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
So stupid question time; I cleaned my bike for the first time last night and well, soap and water don't really cut some of the tougher bugs / chain splatter.

What are you guys using and any old wives tricks I can use to save some money? :)

Also pro-tip; going for a "quick ride" to dry out the nooks and crannies at twilight results in the bike just getting lightly bug splattered all over again.

D'oh!