Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

SubG posted:

Anyone have any experience with USAA's mortgage services?

I don't, but I've got my car loan, car insurance, renter's insurance, checking, and savings account through them and they have amazing overall customer service. For the car loan they offered me a rate and then when the dealer gave me a better one, they slightly beat it. I think their service is excellent overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:argh: People in the dinner thread and their loving bread. I keep forgetting to buy yeast at the grocery store or I would have my own delicious challah. :argh: :argh:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jenkin posted:

I don't, but I've got my car loan, car insurance, renter's insurance, checking, and savings account through them and they have amazing overall customer service. For the car loan they offered me a rate and then when the dealer gave me a better one, they slightly beat it. I think their service is excellent overall.
Yeah, I've used USAA for lots of other poo poo, just never for their mortgage services. I know from previous discussion that a surprisingly high number of the rest of the GWS inner cabal seems to be USAA members as well, so I figured I'd ask. One of the reasons being that I've had nothing but good experiences with them, but one of the stories that got mentioned in here was about someone getting grief for a car claim or something like that, so...just asking.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hawkgirl posted:

:argh: People in the dinner thread and their loving bread. I keep forgetting to buy yeast at the grocery store or I would have my own delicious challah. :argh: :argh:

Stop forgetting to pick it up and get out your credit card. A pound of yeast for about the same price as a jar or 6 packets at the grocery store. This place sells a pound for $3 just pay $12 shipping!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Yeah, I've used USAA for lots of other poo poo, just never for their mortgage services. I know from previous discussion that a surprisingly high number of the rest of the GWS inner cabal seems to be USAA members as well, so I figured I'd ask. One of the reasons being that I've had nothing but good experiences with them, but one of the stories that got mentioned in here was about someone getting grief for a car claim or something like that, so...just asking.

Well, good luck. If I may, I would recommend against a USDA rural development mortgage, by the way.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
♫ i love germany yes i do ♫
♫ i will be there soon ♫
♫ there's nothing like me ♫
♫ being in germany ♫
♫ germany germany doooo ♫

♫ eating döners and ♫
♫ cute uptight girls ♫
♫ lots of good beer too ♫
♫ there's nothing quite like ♫
♫ being in deutschland ♫
♫ deu'schland, deu'schland woooo ♫

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux posted:

♫ i love germany yes i do ♫
♫ i will be there soon ♫
♫ there's nothing like me ♫
♫ being in germany ♫
♫ germany germany doooo ♫

♫ eating döners and ♫
♫ cute uptight girls ♫
♫ being in deutschland ♫

Suddenly our little road trip to Utah doesn't sound so cool. But on the plus side we are going to something like a quarry where we will be able to dig for our own fossils. The little one is excited about that.

P.S. See you all in a week. Try to keep the meltdowns to a maximum of 12.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MisterOblivious posted:

Stop forgetting to pick it up and get out your credit card. A pound of yeast for about the same price as a jar or 6 packets at the grocery store. This place sells a pound for $3 just pay $12 shipping!

I was grocery shopping yesterday and for the first time I saw two pounds of yeast for $5.99 :stare:. Three ounces was $3.99. Shame it wasn't brewers yeast. I'm planning on making my first batch of homebrew shortly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

SubG posted:

I used to work there. The banking side of things is fine, they are cmoparable to other lenders, although since its not a public company they can decide to be as safe or as risky as they want (protip: they play it pretty safe).

They pride themselves on being a great customer service company, but they are running on fumes right now. The old atmosphere there is gone and the its just "SELL SELL SELL, gently caress our members. Sell them poo poo." Its kind of sad. Its one of the reasons my brother and I left there. They brought in an outside Exec, Bob Davis, and he destroyed the companies culture. His follow up, Joe Robles, seems to think the same way Bob did. So dont be surprised if the service beigns to fall off in the next few years as they outsource drat near everything now.

But you should be just fine for a mortgage.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

♫ eating döners and ♫
♫ cute uptight girls ♫
♫ being in deutschland ♫

Hooray for your trip to the Fatherland. That should be a super fun time.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Eat This Glob posted:

I was grocery shopping yesterday and for the first time I saw two pounds of yeast for $5.99 :stare:. Three ounces was $3.99. Shame it wasn't brewers yeast. I'm planning on making my first batch of homebrew shortly.

Aye, beer brewing yeast is rather more expensive. At least one of my brewing buddies will grow a starter so one packet will last multiple brewing sessions. He brews a batch "every weekend once it's cool enough" so the cost savings adds up I guess.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
One packet of brewer's yeast can be cultured to last quite a long time. Each packet can be used for up to five generations, with each generation making enough to have four amounts (~6-8 oz of slurry) to be used in the next generation.

1st Generation (1 use) - 2nd generation (4 uses) - 3rd gen (16) - 4th gen (64) - 5th gen (256).

341 uses out of one packet.

Assuming a 1L starter per batch (5g) on average, that requires 4 oz of dried malt extract.

Buying at 3 pounds, it's $1 per starter.

At 50 pounds, it's $135 for the DME. That's $0.68 per batch for 200 batches. Much better than $6 a batch, if you have the refrigerator space to store each and don't mind using the same yeast for every beer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
doing my second-ever attempt at peking duck. did the whole 9 yards pricking and scalding the skin, hung it using a meathook (hilariously the first time I've really used my meathook for anything other than hanging bags of onions, despite owning it like 3 years), lacquered it with vinegary sugary glaze - and it's in the fridge drying the gently caress out.

hope this time turns out a bit better than my last attempt - last time was fine, but the skin wasn't very crispy, and it just tasted like roast duck - not like the divine poo poo that comes out of my favorite cantonese places.

if anyone has any cooking tips, now is the time to chime in.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Mmm...yeasty as a baker's gusset.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

doing my second-ever attempt at peking duck. did the whole 9 yards pricking and scalding the skin, hung it using a meathook (hilariously the first time I've really used my meathook for anything other than hanging bags of onions, despite owning it like 3 years), lacquered it with vinegary sugary glaze - and it's in the fridge drying the gently caress out.

hope this time turns out a bit better than my last attempt - last time was fine, but the skin wasn't very crispy, and it just tasted like roast duck - not like the divine poo poo that comes out of my favorite cantonese places.

if anyone has any cooking tips, now is the time to chime in.

Did you separate the skin from the meat? Normally they blow air inside to inflate it like a balloon, but you can kind of run your hands along the meat unde the rbeast like a turkey to get at least the crispy breast skin.

My buddy uses a motorcycle tire mini travel compressor, they are like 40-50 bucks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you separate the skin from the meat? Normally they blow air inside to inflate it like a balloon, but you can kind of run your hands along the meat unde the rbeast like a turkey to get at least the crispy breast skin.

My buddy uses a motorcycle tire mini travel compressor, they are like 40-50 bucks.

I didn't actually do this yet, though it's not too late. I was sort of debating the merits on this - the other time I tried making peking duck I did this, and I'm not convinced it helped with the crispiness factor - though there were probably 80 other things I could have messed up on that front.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
So, my friend is getting shipped off to India for a month for work. What do you guys think I should ask him to bring back for me? He's going to be in and around Hyderabad, which is central-ish India I think.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

So, my friend is getting shipped off to India for a month for work. What do you guys think I should ask him to bring back for me? He's going to be in and around Hyderabad, which is central-ish India I think.

Try and get some Bodhicitta.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux: Alinea reservations for August just went on sale.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Chemmy posted:

And my husband and I just got a table for two. gently caress yes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
table for 2 on a sunday, 598 dollars

thanks goons... going to brooklyn fare tonight too same exact price!!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

damnit why isn't my change detection thing working

I don't see anything for sept or oct, hopefully they just aren't on sale yet.

left another voicemail :I

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 26, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Joborgzorz posted:

Ask him to sort something out at Lepakshi Emporium. They sell awesome hand-made metalwork pieces for pretty decent prices. Much easier to find poo poo there than to wander around Charminar, milling about with all the Indian tourists going there to shop. IIRC, there's one near Nizam College. Barring that, ask him to snag you a jar or two of the lethally spicy mango pickle. Andhra folk LOVE very hot spicy pickle.

dino. fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 26, 2012

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Me and the little one will be up in Salt Lake City tomorrow. Is there anywhere that I would be remiss in not visiting?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

Oh, you needed Sept. or August. The tweet from Grant Achatz said "August" so I guess you need to wait a month.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

And my husband and I just got a table for two. gently caress yes.

:gizz: so worth it.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Walk Away posted:

Me and the little one will be up in Salt Lake City tomorrow. Is there anywhere that I would be remiss in not visiting?

Hey, I live there! I'd say the main library is a pretty awesome piece of architecture; you can go to the mormon temple if you want to get proselytized at (ugh); if you've got a car you can go up into one of the many canyons or out to antelope island which is on the great salt lake and thus will smell really bad. Or if your kiddo likes big machines you can check out the kennecot copper mines, though it's somewhat of a trip. Or the zoo isn't bad, though it's going to be fairly hot tomorrow. Ooh or the natural history museum, they just totally renovated the entire place and it's pretty baller. For a place that is weird but free there is the gilgal garden. Or whatever, I don't know what you're really into but I can give more suggestions if you're more specific.

And grab a sandwich at the coffee garden on 9th east & 9th south because they are great.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

mindphlux posted:

September thru December have not gone on sale yet. Friend them on FB or follow them on Twitter and they said they would announce the date and time with a lot of notice for those resos.

Also, casu marzu, is there anywhere worth eating in Green Bay besides Hinterland right now? We'll be in town for two nights before we go to Chicago.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

No Wave posted:

table for 2 on a sunday, 598 dollars

thanks goons... going to brooklyn fare tonight too same exact price!!!

:(

I guess I'm not a fancy diner. Holy poo poo I would freak the gently caress out if I got a six hundred dollar bill for dinner. Assuming that doesn't come with a litter borne by virile slaves to carry me to my dinner and a handy vomitorium staffed by bosomy maidens of easy virtue, I hope like hell that you get fifteen courses and wine and all sorts of neat treats.

I'm a backwoods bumpkin from Idaho now so I guess I have no compass for what folks are willing to pay for a fancy dinner.

By the way, congratulations on getting tickets, I bet you're going to have a hell of a time. Get pictures!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

By the way, congratulations on getting tickets, I bet you're going to have a hell of a time. Get pictures!
Here's the thing: bx fare was 600 dollars for 2, 775 all in w/ service (two of the cheapest bottles of wine on the list) but it's still a drat bargain. I mean you get Cesar Ramirez sourcing some of the best fish on the planet, certainly the best in the Americas for about twenty courses (literally every non-dessert course was fish save the special duck he gets that has like mad skinny skin so it's all crispy and poo poo)

It's kind of ridiculous that you get to eat many pieces of the best produce near the Americas for that price. In fact it's almost criminal. He had a whole tray of sea urchin and used the whole thing on eight people. And then put black truffle on top. I mean... it's so clearly worth it.

I don't really eat out much these days but it's not really comparable to most restaurant experiences. Frankly we're all pricks for enjoying this poo poo when all the fish are gonna be dead in eighty years anyways. So get after it

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, it's completely worth it, usually. I mean sometimes it's not - but those meals where your jaw just drops and you have to rethink everything you ever thought you knew about an ingredient - that poo poo is just awesome. it's like dropping acid or losing your virginity or I don't even know. it's one of those things where like, yeah, it's a lot of money - but it can be something you'll remember for the next 10 years if it's good. and how many other things on that price level can you say that about? I certainly don't remember a flying gently caress about the $230/mo I pay for health insurance - coincidentally almost the exact same amount. or my auto insurance, or phone bill, or whatever else idiotic bill I have to pay just to keep chugging along existing on this gay earth. :) *mindphlux note : not actually angsty

I mean I can actually afford it now, but I was even spending these massive amounts of money on good food when I was a poor as poo poo student, and it was still worth it. my monthly food budget was like $75 and I'd save for months to afford a single $250 meal. you should give it a go if you enjoy food!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Right, but I can make all the salsa chicken I want for only pennies on the dollar so I don't see why you'd pay some fancyman to go and cook a bunch of fish for you when you could easily put the fishsticks into the oven yourself and save your money for stuff that really matters - video games. :colbert:

Gonna run like hell now. Hahahahah.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

No Wave posted:

Here's the thing: bx fare was 600 dollars for 2, 775 all in w/ service (two of the cheapest bottles of wine on the list) but it's still a drat bargain. I mean you get Cesar Ramirez sourcing some of the best fish on the planet, certainly the best in the Americas for about twenty courses (literally every non-dessert course was fish save the special duck he gets that has like mad skinny skin so it's all crispy and poo poo)

It's kind of ridiculous that you get to eat many pieces of the best produce near the Americas for that price. In fact it's almost criminal. He had a whole tray of sea urchin and used the whole thing on eight people. And then put black truffle on top. I mean... it's so clearly worth it.

I don't really eat out much these days but it's not really comparable to most restaurant experiences. Frankly we're all pricks for enjoying this poo poo when all the fish are gonna be dead in eighty years anyways. So get after it

I can't tell if this is serious or not. *re-reads Lights Out In Wonderland*

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

September thru December have not gone on sale yet. Friend them on FB or follow them on Twitter and they said they would announce the date and time with a lot of notice for those resos.

Also, casu marzu, is there anywhere worth eating in Green Bay besides Hinterland right now? We'll be in town for two nights before we go to Chicago.

I actually moved last fall to start my own little farm project in central Wisconsin, so I can't say definitively about eats up there anymore. But when I do get up there, it seems like GB is trying to change its image for the better. Riverfront has had some huge renovations and looks better at least. The dining scene hasn't improved much though from what I hear. Seems to be all more casual Chili's/Applebee's generic fare and sports bars popping up.

I can't think of a single place that would make me go "drat son, you need to eat here".

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Semisponge posted:

Hey, I live there! I'd say the main library is a pretty awesome piece of architecture; you can go to the mormon temple if you want to get proselytized at (ugh); if you've got a car you can go up into one of the many canyons or out to antelope island which is on the great salt lake and thus will smell really bad. Or if your kiddo likes big machines you can check out the kennecot copper mines, though it's somewhat of a trip. Or the zoo isn't bad, though it's going to be fairly hot tomorrow. Ooh or the natural history museum, they just totally renovated the entire place and it's pretty baller. For a place that is weird but free there is the gilgal garden. Or whatever, I don't know what you're really into but I can give more suggestions if you're more specific.

And grab a sandwich at the coffee garden on 9th east & 9th south because they are great.

Thanks, bud. We are probably going to see most of the stuff that you told me about.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CuddleChunks posted:

Right, but I can make all the salsa chicken I want for only pennies on the dollar so I don't see why you'd pay some fancyman to go and cook a bunch of fish for you when you could easily put the fishsticks into the oven yourself and save your money for stuff that really matters - video games. :colbert:
Sadly I know a lot of people who feel this way, except it extends into "spices? Why should I pay $4 for a tube of spices when it all goes into the toilet eventually? I can buy myself a pack of hot dogs AND a loaf of wonderbread for that!" And then they go buy nothing but hot dogs and pizza rolls. :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sweat poteto posted:

I can't tell if this is serious or not. *re-reads Lights Out In Wonderland*
I say this from the perspective of someone who lives below his modest means in almost every other respect. I haven't bought new clothes in three years. I totally get that a lot of people don't have money, and then obviously the meal's not worth it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI if you've never done one of those ultra fine dining experiences...try not to get so drunk you can't remember most of the meal the next day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just FYI if you've never done one of those ultra fine dining experiences...try not to get so drunk you can't remember most of the meal the next day.

That's the only way you know you're too cool for school. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Or do what my date did at Per Se and get intimidated and not say anything about a shellfish allergy.