Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Raw_Beef posted:

Didnt they do conscripts with 2 year service times and have a very poor NCO community?
So ive always assumed their equipment was designed to be operated by a retard with decent results, while western equipment is intended for well trained and skilled crews doing constant maintenence.

I thought I read somewhere that they had to purposefully poison/denature fluids in the aircraft (de-icing I think) because conscripts kept drinking it to get wasted.

Conscripts own. (especially the Red Alert 2/3-kind) It's a mixture of :3: and :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I dunno about during the Cold War, but there were (some) recorded instances of that during WWII.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

movax posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they had to purposefully poison/denature fluids in the aircraft (de-icing I think) because conscripts kept drinking it to get wasted.

Conscripts own. (especially the Red Alert 2/3-kind) It's a mixture of :3: and :gonk:

This was a big problem with the MiG-25. It used a *lot* of alcohol for cooling purposes, so much so that it was nicknamed "the flying bar" by maintenance crews. Eventually a concerned mother-engineer developed a non-alcohol substitute. (This is from that Wings of Russia series.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

rossmum posted:

I dunno about during the Cold War, but there were (some) recorded instances of that during WWII.

The latter part of Stalingrad (and Berlin) by Anthony Beevor has a large amount of anecdotes about conscripts drinking things that they weren't supposed to in order to get drunk. Mainly tank engine cleaners or industrial alcohol meant for factories.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was a big problem with the MiG-25. It used a *lot* of alcohol for cooling purposes, so much so that it was nicknamed "the flying bar" by maintenance crews. Eventually a concerned mother-engineer developed a non-alcohol substitute. (This is from that Wings of Russia series.)
Victor Belenko talked about it in his book, how they'd get drunk off the alcohol, and then falsify flight hours, and just destroy shitloads of fuel and other consumables to make it match.

That book was so thick with propaganda, it's hard to tell fact from fiction, though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

movax posted:

Why wouldn't you use denatured alcohol for such purposes?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

rossmum posted:

I would really not be surprised if "ergonomics" as a word didn't even exist in Soviet military parlance.

AKs are really handy rifles. I'd have to choose an M1 Carbine for anything more naturally pointable. The sights are just so, the trigger somewhat mushy and the safety lever is complete bullshit. Reloading quickly takes enormous amounts of drilling to come up to speed, and the operating handle is also bullshit. The Finns adressed some of those issues with their own reworking, I guess.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Groda posted:

Why wouldn't you use denatured alcohol for such purposes?

More ingredients means more reactions that can put gum or varnish in the coolant passages. Also, undenatured alcohol hasless toxicity if spilled.

:science: IIRC, the alcohol used wasn't even ethanol to begin with. It was n-butanol, which gets you even more drunk due to being less polar and partitioning into brain tissues better while still having the even number of carbon atoms that allow for easy metabolism.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
^^ Whats the downside?

Anyway, to contribute; I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet, it is a great PBS documentary about the development, history and politics of the "Super"(H)-bomb.
Features lots of great footage, interviews with the involved physicists, even Teller himself, SAC generals and their Russian counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSArXZ27zcg

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Restricted Data had some pretty cool pics from the early Soviet bomb program today:

One of the early Soviet prototype gravity bombs, and :black101: as hell.

There's some more great pics at the site, including the original 1943 Soviet nuclear pile and what is supposedly the first 'Polygon' Soviet nuclear test device, or a close mock-up of it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Airshows back in the 50s were so badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseXJ7DV4c

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

rossmum posted:

On the other hand, it does manifest itself in weird ways. For all the gripes about the MiG-29's cockpit and controls, the engines were easy as gently caress to replace owing to the fact they were basically just hanging underneath, as opposed to western designs where they tend to be doing insane things like "being buried inside the fuselage or wing roots". In fact, I would say about the only time a single iota of thought was given to the guys that had to operate this stuff was when it came to fixing something broken. No point having something flashy if your conscripts don't know which way up it goes! Similar deal with the AK... from a strictly ergonomics standpoint its controls are terrible, especially the safety, but it strips easily. Same with the 91/30, a pig to handle compared to its contemporaries, but stupidly easy to take apart. I'm not as well versed in subs specifically so I don't know how easy it would be to repair damaged systems on Soviet ones vs. American ones, but in terms of aviation and small arms, they seem to have designed them almost around maintenance rather than operation.

That was probably because, from what I've read, almost all Soviet engines were designed for A) Maximum performance B) Ease of production and C) like, 1/10th of the expected lifetime compared to western designs.

Probably had something to do with centralized control, forcing both their airforce and clients to stay chummy if they want to receieve a steady rate of replacement engines. That and you don't need skilled crews to keep those engines functional, just strip out the old ones and mount new ones.

The Klimov RD-33 for the MiG-29 for example, has a life expectancy of 4 000 flight hours.

The MiG-25's Tumansky R-15 had like 150-1000 flight hours expectancy.

Compared to the engine used by the F-18 and Gripen:
General Electric F404 - It requires less than two shop visits per 1,000 flight hours and averages 6,500 hours between in-flight events.
(That's not even equal to having the engines completely shot)

Probably a perfectly sound doctrine if you were preparing for WW3 were
1) Your planes were probably not gonna last long enough to NEED engine repairs
2) Your ground crews were probably not gonna live long enough to have the skills required to repair the engines on site anyhow
3) You would probably be short of the right spare parts too, because your armies are expected to be on the offensive grabbing new air bases

Instead, just have crew that can turn a wrench good enough to de- and remount the engines and then throw a bunch of prefab engines on trains or trucks heading for the front for whatever aircraft actually survive going up against Teen-series fighters and patriot missile batteries long enough to need new engines.

If you are fighting the Vietnam war for 10 years, on the other side of the globe, you might not want to have to ship in new engines every month. Or if you expect to actually train all your pilots enough for them to survive, having lots of flight hours each year would put quite the strain on your ability to churn out replacement engines.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 28, 2012

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

KillerKatten posted:

^^ Whats the downside?

The partial metabolites give a hangover like a freight train, and many of them (butyric acid, etc.) will make you smell like a bum who flops downwind of a cheese factory.

The R-15 engine I'll give a bye to, since it was designed for balls-to-the-wall "I'm-a gonna shoot down an SR-71 or poo poo out my turbines trying" performance. Other ones could be a cost-benefit trade-off on remanufacturing cost vs. R&D + manufacturing cost for higher-temperature alloys.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Fun chemistry/biology fact: If an alcohol has an even number of carbon atoms in it. You can drink it just fine, albeit the metabolites are really poo poo for you and you'll smell like rotting cheese for a while. It's the alcohols with an odd number of carbon atoms that will kill you and/or destroy your sight. :eng101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's why I keep a bag of carbon atoms handy when I go drinking coolants!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I hope you also have a means of adding those atoms to the molecular structures rather than just the solution too :colbert:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

I hope you also have a means of adding those atoms to the molecular structures rather than just the solution too :colbert:
You just slam em together, like a hotdog and a horse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

priznat posted:

That's why I keep a bag of carbon atoms handy when I go drinking coolants!

Really who would drink coolants with all that avgas around to huff. Amateurs.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

grover posted:

The Genie had a 1.5kt warhead and a range of just 6 miles. Wiki has a :gonk: story of its safety being "proven" in the one and only test by air force officers standing hatless directly under the blast..

Not to beat a dead horse since we discussed this weeks ago, but two of those guys are still alive and Fox News ran an interview with them Friday: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/27/how-does-it-feel-to-stand-under-nuclear-bomb/

Maj. Don Luttrell, Ret. USAF posted:

In hindsight … it appears that it was not safe.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 1, 2012

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Suicide Watch posted:

Airshows back in the 50s were so badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseXJ7DV4c

Thats awesome. Who wants to bet that was all live ordnance too? Not this sissy prefab gas bombs at current airshows

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gish posted:

Thats awesome. Who wants to bet that was all live ordnance too? Not this sissy prefab gas bombs at current airshows

The napalm going off is a big clue that it was live...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is likely a repost, but enjoy a trippy recreation of every nuclear detonation on earth ever (as far as we know) from 1945-1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mlmp08 posted:

This is likely a repost, but enjoy a trippy recreation of every nuclear detonation on earth ever (as far as we know) from 1945-1998.

holy poo poo that's amazing.

I love how you can just see the US and the USSR waving their dicks at each other in the 50s-60s. One sets off a couple, the other sets off a couple.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the point where the USSR kicks off 5 detonations so the US does 20 in 2 days is pretty ridiculous.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

:stare:

Is there any... reason the US tested so many nukes in the SE US, or was it just a case of "gently caress you, Arizona! (And by extension the USSR!) :argh:"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Is there any... reason the US tested so many nukes in the SE US, or was it just a case of "gently caress you, Arizona! (And by extension the USSR!) :argh:"

Deserts don't vote.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Large tracts of federally owned land

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Zoom out slowly

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wish they'd nuked the SE of America. It votes and it votes retarded.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

THEY DID!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purvis,_Mississippi#1960.27s_Vela_Uniform.2FProject_Dribble_Nuclear_Tests

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

They had to bomb the poo poo out of those aliens at Area 51 to show them who's boss. Keep em from getting uppity.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stupid dirt always ruining everything good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Totally TWISTED posted:

:downs: And of course three people have already replied to it.

It is crazy just how many they tested, though. Was there any particular reason they needed so many tests, or was it just for show?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
1) Smoke em if you got em!

2) every 10th nuke is free

3) had to be sure they were effective on chained up livestock. :(

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:downs: And of course three people have already replied to it.

It is crazy just how many they tested, though. Was there any particular reason they needed so many tests, or was it just for show?

To some degree, they needed to make sure new designs actually worked. They didn't have massive supercomputers back in the day, so they couldn't exactly run simulations much more complex than "looks like that's about right." A lot of warhead designs were complex and had weird packaging requirements - remember, both sides were making not just nuclear bombs and missiles, but nuclear landmines, nuclear depth charges, nuclear artillery shells, nuclear landmines, and probably nuclear ham sandwiches. Plus, they wanted to test blast effects on everything from houses to tanks.

But, like Cyrano and mlmp08 mention, there was a lot of good old fashioned "you blew some poo poo up? Well we're gonna blow MORE poo poo up REAL GOOD!" dickwaving on both sides.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A professor of mine was at Sandia. His words: "We didn't have supercomputers like you kids today. So we just kept testing the real thing until we got it right."

:stare: followed by :black101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Honestly, though..... if you were the guy in charge of the nuclear arsenals and could pull one out and blow it up whenever you felt like it, wouldn't you do it?

Every weekend I'd do that poo poo.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
I just wish the US could somehow circumvent or just give no fucks about the test ban treaty thing, and fire off one large hydrogen bomb. Just one. Think of it, with modern high def, über slow-mo cameras with ridiculous lenses you could get some amazing footage. Timing it with the ISS or some satellite overhead to stream footage (would an h-bomb be visible from space anyway? one way to find out!) or some remote drones or something flying close'ish.

Not that it has a snowballs chance in hell of happening, or if it would happen that any good footage would be released.

But god damnit I want it to see it... for science.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Someone find an urban legend related to H-Bomb and write Mythbusters.

If the government won't let them use a nuke to blow up a crash test dummy, I am fully confident that they'll build one themselves. They've probably got a Rubbermaid bin full of plutonium somewhere in that warehouse, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

FrozenVent posted:

Someone find an urban legend related to H-Bomb and write Mythbusters.

If the government won't let them use a nuke to blow up a crash test dummy, I am fully confident that they'll build one themselves. They've probably got a Rubbermaid bin full of plutonium somewhere in that warehouse, anyway.

They would gently caress it up by letting those clowns Grant and Tory do it.