Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

bisticles posted:

Rats... I honestly thought I had landed this gig :(

That's pretty funny.
Do more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Occasionally I'll do wedding photos for couples that book a local tour boat company to host the wedding. The boat sails around for a couple of hours, dinner is served, there is dancing, someone always tries to push someone else overboard, good family fun.

The company changed hands and while the former owners were pretty good about booking photographers at reasonable rates, the new company squeezes every penny as hard as they possibly can. Of course, quality has suffered as they scrape the bottom of the barrel on everything from food, to booze, to DJs, and even maintenance on the boats.

I did one gig for the new owners but there were so many problems getting paid and the service had gone down hill so far that I said never again.

Last night I get contacted by a friend who answered one of their ads for a photographer. They showed him some portfolios of the other photographers and said they wanted him to mimic their style.

Their "style" is apparently bad momtography. My friend isn't great, but he knows enough not to blow out every possible highlight and how to keep the camera level and in focus. According to the wedding boat people, their customers just "love" the "spontaneous nature" of lovely photography.

The real funny part was that some of my shots were in the portfolio and credited to one of the momtographers. He commented on them because he'd been over when I was doing the editing. Apparently my stuff was "too professional" looking, which is god drat hilarious because no. Though, I guess all it takes to be "too professional" these days is correct exposure and level horizons.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Occasionally I'll do wedding photos for couples that book a local tour boat company to host the wedding. The boat sails around for a couple of hours, dinner is served, there is dancing, someone always tries to push someone else overboard, good family fun.

The company changed hands and while the former owners were pretty good about booking photographers at reasonable rates, the new company squeezes every penny as hard as they possibly can. Of course, quality has suffered as they scrape the bottom of the barrel on everything from food, to booze, to DJs, and even maintenance on the boats.

I did one gig for the new owners but there were so many problems getting paid and the service had gone down hill so far that I said never again.

Last night I get contacted by a friend who answered one of their ads for a photographer. They showed him some portfolios of the other photographers and said they wanted him to mimic their style.

Their "style" is apparently bad momtography. My friend isn't great, but he knows enough not to blow out every possible highlight and how to keep the camera level and in focus. According to the wedding boat people, their customers just "love" the "spontaneous nature" of lovely photography.

The real funny part was that some of my shots were in the portfolio and credited to one of the momtographers. He commented on them because he'd been over when I was doing the editing. Apparently my stuff was "too professional" looking, which is god drat hilarious because no. Though, I guess all it takes to be "too professional" these days is correct exposure and level horizons.

Most depressing thing I've read today.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need some manner of shock collar that goes off whenever I load my local craigslist photography section.

Such a filthy habit. Browsing for cameras I don't need.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

squidflakes posted:

According to the wedding boat people, their customers just "love" the "spontaneous nature" of lovely photography.

This is becoming more and more of a thing in the professional world it seems. It's the "in" thing at the moment, and it's depressing as hell. A BIG client that I do a lot of work for seems to be heading that direction as well. And if you knew the client, it would shock the hell out of you that even a company like that was falling victim to this kind of crap.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

That 70s Shirt posted:

This is becoming more and more of a thing in the professional world it seems. It's the "in" thing at the moment, and it's depressing as hell. A BIG client that I do a lot of work for seems to be heading that direction as well. And if you knew the client, it would shock the hell out of you that even a company like that was falling victim to this kind of crap.

What really gets me is describing being terrible at a craft as a "style."

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

squidflakes posted:

What really gets me is describing being terrible at a craft as a "style."

Well I'd guess that's probably because they don't know any better. They probably think that what they're looking at is an actual style of photography and not just inexperience. I know what you mean, though.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

spog posted:

good question: I had assumed it was a lab-only idea, but it seems you can get a mutliple-frame version for only $149:

http://photoacute.com/tech/mtf.html

Take a burst of photos, plug them into the software and almost double your resolution.

That seems like great value for money for some shooters.

Perfect Resize (formerly known as Genuine Fractals) does a decent job, too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was told a couple of interesting stories tonight at dinner. A man told me his father had become famous among the extended family for taking photos at funerals. Not just the after-service "hey when are we all going to be in the same room again?" pictures, which seem perfectly reasonable, but lots of snapping away during the open-casket part and other, more sensitive times.

One story in particular: a local wedding photographer was captured in an image by this funeral-photog at a wedding. Said local wedding photog died not long after, and funeral-photog grabbed a picture of him in his casket - on the same roll of film! Apparently he was quite pleased with himself.

Would anyone else be a bit weirded out by a flash going off just as you're saying goodbye to grandma?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I need some manner of shock collar that goes off whenever I load my local craigslist photography section.

Such a filthy habit. Browsing for cameras I don't need.

I just added it to my RSS feed. Got a few nice deals that way.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

One story in particular: a local wedding photographer was captured in an image by this funeral-photog at a wedding. Said local wedding photog died not long after, and funeral-photog grabbed a picture of him in his casket - on the same roll of film! Apparently he was quite pleased with himself.

Would anyone else be a bit weirded out by a flash going off just as you're saying goodbye to grandma?

I'm surprised he didn't have the roll of film of the wedding developed by the time he shot the funeral. Cool story, though.

Standing around an open casket... yeah, that's not a picture you want, but I can see getting everyone together on the other end of the room for a just-what-you-said family picture. I would not want candids or "everybody smile" shots around a dead body, though.

That 70s Shirt posted:

Well I'd guess that's probably because they don't know any better. They probably think that what they're looking at is an actual style of photography and not just inexperience. I know what you mean, though.

I think people are maybe more comfortable with something that looks and feels natural, candid, or spur-of-the-moment. They don't want to look like they're trying too hard. It doesn't have to be in focus, nicely composed, or have any real artistic merit as long as it looks "fun", because nine times out of ten, that's what's going to go onto facebook, become a kickass profile picture, and collect the most facebook points at the end of the day.

Not saying I agree with it, but unless it's for something that's getting printed up and put over the fireplace/couch/baby's crib, people tend to gravitate towards the ultra-shallow-DoF wacky-curves questionable-tilt photos when picking out favorites from events.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 26, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

bisticles posted:

Not saying I agree with it, but unless it's for something that's getting printed up and put over the fireplace/couch/baby's crib, people tend to gravitate towards the ultra-shallow-DoF wacky-curves questionable-tilt photos when picking out favorites from events.

I genuinely think that kicks rear end though. Jonas Peterson springs to mind.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
:lol::lol::lol: London college offer iphoneography course. :lol::lol::lol:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

for what it's worth it doesn't appear to be a full university and doesn't offer BA or higher degrees. Just HNDs and such.

Most people have a camera phone so I don't see it being a bad thing to use to teach people the basics of photography.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Five weeks?

It's got to have a decent syllabus: after all, how long can you string out pressing a button on the phone? - a few hours for even the most technically-inept. The rest of the course will probably be things like composition and that can only be a good thing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It says in the article, composition and lighting and stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully they spend a week on how to not take video that makes the viewer vomit from all the shaking.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Oh man, I'm starting a grad program in London in the Fall and I was hoping to God it wasn't the same school when I clicked that link.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

Most people have a camera phone so I don't see it being a bad thing to use to teach people the basics of photography.

Yes, a mandating the use of a device where you have none of the typical creative controls is an excellent way to teach a creative craft.

See also: the Program Mode course.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Let's be honest, 90% of the course will be comparing different Instagram filters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, a mandating the use of a device where you have none of the typical creative controls is an excellent way to teach a creative craft.

See also: the Program Mode course.
I think basic composition technique will get complete newbies a lot further along than being able to control the aperture.

Classes like this are here to stay.. just about everyone has a camera in their pocket and distributing basic knowledge is probably a good thing.

I'd even go as far as saying it should be required curriculum in grade school.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually, it is. Really learning the fundamentals of composition and thinking about the content of the frame is far more important than learning the technical aspects of camera-use. I have been planning a community-ed type basics of photography course for a little while now, and had been planning to provide basic digital point and shoot cameras, but honestly this is a much, much better idea.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

I think basic composition technique will get complete newbies a lot further along than being able to control the aperture.

Perspective control (compression/expansion) is a fundamental aspect of composition, as is depth of field and creative shutter control. You're certainly not going to be setting up a bunch of hotlights to take a picture with your iPhone so I don't even get the "lighting" one.

"Remove extraneous elements from your composition. Use rule of thirds, except when you shouldn't." There, that'll be $300 plus fees please.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

"Remove extraneous elements from your composition. Use rule of thirds, except when you shouldn't." There, that'll be $300 plus fees please.

"Press butan." There I saved everyone ever from having to hire a photographer.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're certainly not going to be setting up a bunch of hotlights to take a picture with your iPhone so I don't even get the "lighting" one.

I do this all the time for my instagram photos??

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah I mean it's not like reputable art schools start people out with old Pentax film bodies and usually only a 50mm lens, that would be a horrible way to restrict them as they're trying to learn a craft.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're certainly not going to be setting up a bunch of hotlights to take a picture with your iPhone so I don't even get the "lighting" one.

Says you bro.
http://fstoppers.com/iphone

Any reason to repost that I suppose.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

not to mention being as specific as iphoneography rather than just camera phone helps them get a lot more attention in the media and press releases. I know as a London resident I'd never heard of this school until now.

It's like a 5 week hobby course.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SoundMonkey posted:

Yeah I mean it's not like reputable art schools start people out with old Pentax film bodies and usually only a 50mm lens, that would be a horrible way to restrict them as they're trying to learn a craft.

Half of the people in the Photo I class I took started out with kit lenses (the old film kind), most of the half that started out with primes (myself included) were branching out to some cheap 28mms, 35mms, or 135mms by the end.

But even a 50mm will let you isolate your subject with some depth-of-field, which an iPhone will not. Unless I'm wrong and there's some horrible app that gaussian blurs out the background, like with:

Shmoogy posted:

Says you bro.
http://fstoppers.com/iphone

Any reason to repost that I suppose.

Steve McScene posted:

I do this all the time for my instagram photos??

:staredog:

I mean no one will do that in a beginner's iPhoneography course, it's probably one of the worst tools for the job, and it completely defeats the purpose of a small cheap portable device that everyone owns and you can take everywhere, but hey if people want to buy I guess the university would be stupid not to sell.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 26, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Also light as an area of inquiry is much, much broader than artificial lighting.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

:staredog:

I mean no one will do that in a beginner's iPhoneography course, it's probably one of the worst tools for the job, and it completely defeats the purpose of a small cheap portable device that everyone owns and you can take everywhere, but hey if people want to buy I guess the university would be stupid not to sell.

It's fun and funny.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm starting to get irrationally angry at a large Olympus OM-D advertisement on a bus stop near my work. if you could imagine a large portrait version of this photo:

I think its the combination of the wet camera, moody stare and hood that are getting on my nerves. Not to mention the full hipster dickbag ads Olympus are running on TV at the moment for the OM-D.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget the absurd dutch angle.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the absurd dutch angle.

How do you know that he isn't standing at such an angle the camera would be relatively level?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 27, 2012

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It's dutch to the max on the full poster.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spedman posted:

I'm starting to get irrationally angry at a large Olympus OM-D advertisement on a bus stop near my work. if you could imagine a large portrait version of this photo:

I think its the combination of the wet camera, moody stare and hood that are getting on my nerves. Not to mention the full hipster dickbag ads Olympus are running on TV at the moment for the OM-D.

Imagine bus stop-sized posters like these:

They didn't annoy me because digging up the corpse of a dead star to sell your consumer electronics is distasteful.

They didn't annoy me because it was obvious that the arm+camera were cut and pasted in.

It annoyed me because you don't use the LCD screen on a camera by holding up to your bloody eye like a DSLR.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Maybe they're just trying to hide behind it!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

just goes to show that nobody can make composing by LCD look good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

spog posted:

Imagine bus stop-sized posters like these:

They didn't annoy me because digging up the corpse of a dead star to sell your consumer electronics is distasteful.

They didn't annoy me because it was obvious that the arm+camera were cut and pasted in.

It annoyed me because you don't use the LCD screen on a camera by holding up to your bloody eye like a DSLR.

What the hell, the second one has an electronic viewfinder and it's like he can't find his eyeball with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Eww, they're selective color too.