Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

The IBS pill might be this one (there should be a smaller/cheaper box size somewhere). It's basically some really strong patented probiotic. From my sample source of "this one guy I know" though, it does help a lot.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I think a couple of posters have mentioned that even their Le Creuset dutch ovens have flaked.
My dutch oven is plain cast iron, but I have a Le Creuset enamelled cast iron roasting pan that I've been using regularly for six or seven years and the enamelling is holding up fine. It certainly `feels' like a better enamelling than most of the other examples I've seen, but it's the only enamelled cast iron I actually own.

DekeThornton posted:

Aren't there issues with cooking food with wine and other acidic ingredients in regular cast iron pots? Something about discoloration and excessive iron taste in the food?
Not really. I mean it'll theoretically happen if you're using enough acid, but mostly I think it's a non-issue. I routinely deglaze my cast iron dutch oven with wine and then simmer things in tomato sauce and so on.

The only place I really notice a difference with cast iron (as opposed to enamel or stainless) is if you're making a clear pan sauce; on cast iron they tend to get a little cloudy. I assume this is due to the seasoning, but I haven't done any serious experimentation. In any case nothing that you'd usually be worrying about with what you'd be likely to cook in a dutch oven.

And while I suppose it's theoretically possible you could end up with an iron flavour from using cast iron, that's probably an indication that you really, really need to work on your seasoning. With a well-seasoned skillet (or whatever) the food's coming into contact with the seasoning, not the cast iron itself. I'm sure there's some migration of iron into the seasoning as a part of normal use, but the effect on the food is probably an inverse function of the depth of seasoning (that is, you'll get more iron migrating into the food the thinner your seasoning is).

None of this is that different than for example a carbon steel or cast iron wok, and I throw all kinds of acidic stuff in woks at high temperatures (e.g. vinegar) and don't burn through the seasoning or whatever the imagined failure mode is. I don't do quite the same things with cast iron, but that's got more to do with the type of cooking a cast iron skillet or dutch oven is suited for, rather than being worried about the behaviour of the seasoning or the cast iron itself.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Goddamn posted:

The IBS pill might be this one (there should be a smaller/cheaper box size somewhere). It's basically some really strong patented probiotic. From my sample source of "this one guy I know" though, it does help a lot.

That was it!

The plural of anecdote is not data, of course, but my friend had nothing but praise for the stuff.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

Not really. I mean it'll theoretically happen if you're using enough acid, but mostly I think it's a non-issue. I routinely deglaze my cast iron dutch oven with wine and then simmer things in tomato sauce and so on.

The only place I really notice a difference with cast iron (as opposed to enamel or stainless) is if you're making a clear pan sauce; on cast iron they tend to get a little cloudy. I assume this is due to the seasoning, but I haven't done any serious experimentation. In any case nothing that you'd usually be worrying about with what you'd be likely to cook in a dutch oven.

And while I suppose it's theoretically possible you could end up with an iron flavour from using cast iron, that's probably an indication that you really, really need to work on your seasoning. With a well-seasoned skillet (or whatever) the food's coming into contact with the seasoning, not the cast iron itself. I'm sure there's some migration of iron into the seasoning as a part of normal use, but the effect on the food is probably an inverse function of the depth of seasoning (that is, you'll get more iron migrating into the food the thinner your seasoning is).

None of this is that different than for example a carbon steel or cast iron wok, and I throw all kinds of acidic stuff in woks at high temperatures (e.g. vinegar) and don't burn through the seasoning or whatever the imagined failure mode is. I don't do quite the same things with cast iron, but that's got more to do with the type of cooking a cast iron skillet or dutch oven is suited for, rather than being worried about the behaviour of the seasoning or the cast iron itself.

How long do you simmer things in it though? I mean I have no problem splashing a bit of wine into my cast iron pans to deglaze them when making a sauce, but I would be a bit wary of cooking a boeuf bourguignon for a few hours in a non-enamel one though.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Yeah, I was unsure about pure cast iron because of that whole acidity thing. I'd be using the dutch oven to slow cook huge batches of things for like 6 hours in the oven, and I use a lot of tomato. Can you slow cook in steel pots like that?

Funny thing, my family's hugeass enamel coated dutch oven was bought at macys... and it's still holding up fine like 6 years and hundreds of dinners later. That son of a bitch must weigh like 30 pounds.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

An observer posted:

Yeah, I was unsure about pure cast iron because of that whole acidity thing. I'd be using the dutch oven to slow cook huge batches of things for like 6 hours in the oven, and I use a lot of tomato. Can you slow cook in steel pots like that?

Why wouldn't you be able to?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I bought one of these a few years ago and it works fine and doesn't have any chipping. Its Cook's Illustrated's recommendation for a dutch oven if you don't want to spend Le Creuset money.

(it was cheaper back then and sold directly through Amazon though so maybe something is up with them)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
No idea. I've just grown up with that huge enamel pot, so it's what feels natural.

Like this?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

How long do you simmer things in it though? I mean I have no problem splashing a bit of wine into my cast iron pans to deglaze them when making a sauce, but I would be a bit wary of cooking a boeuf bourguignon for a few hours in a non-enamel one though.
I use a cast iron dutch oven to make stew and chili and braise things, all of which take hours, all the time. That's more or less exactly the kind of thing you'd buy a cast iron dutch oven for in the first place. Worrying about stewing things in a cast iron dutch oven is like worrying about using a carbon steel wok for stir frying.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Regarding the IBS talk: Popping 2 beanos with every meal gave me my life back. I had crippling intestinal bloating and wouldn't properly digest most of my food. Gross. Doctors were pretty useless. Prescriptions worked until side effects from increasing dosages were worse than the IBS itself. Tried about every probiotic without much luck. VSL#3 worked the best, but is silly expensive and a pain to buy (needs to be kept cold).

But yeah, simple over the counter beano... magic (read: science). Obviously ymmv because "IBS" is vague as gently caress-all, but worth spending the $5 to spin the wheel. I don't know what I'd do without onions and garlic.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone have a favourite arroz con pollo recipe?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have a link to the Kimchi Cook or Die challenge?

Can't just search for it, it's archvied and the search is full of helldump complaining about a dude called Space Kimchi

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 26, 2012

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
What's the best way to freeze leftover soup and other dishes? I used to just ladle it into plastic bags, but I've noticed my food picking up a plastic-y taste after even a couple months in the freezer.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone have a really good recipe for pork AND duck rilletes? Two separate recipes, hoping to make two big batches.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Sionak posted:

What's the best way to freeze leftover soup and other dishes? I used to just ladle it into plastic bags, but I've noticed my food picking up a plastic-y taste after even a couple months in the freezer.

I freeze soup & etc in tupperware and haven't noticed any off taste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Psalmanazar posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Kimchi Cook or Die challenge?

Can't just search for it, it's archvied and the search is full of helldump complaining about a dude called Space Kimchi

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465048&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post400347415

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sionak posted:

I like to use the type of plastic container that has the fold-down snap closures, or the nice chunky Glad tubs that are sold at hardware stores (but are food safe) and have screw-on lids. Regular press-on tupperware lids have a tendency to pop open and the food takes on gross freezer smells.

I haven't had any issues with plastic smell or taste when using plastic bags, but I gave up on them after about the fourth time I thawed something out only to discover the seams on the bag had gotten damaged and the contents leaked all over my fridge or countertop.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

I haven't had any issues with plastic smell or taste when using plastic bags, but I gave up on them after about the fourth time I thawed something out only to discover the seams on the bag had gotten damaged and the contents leaked all over my fridge or countertop.

Were they freezer bags? Ziploc makes regular bags and freezer bags, the freezer bags are thicker to resist being damaged by ice crystals.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I fried some egg rolls the other day in a stainless steel saucepot and was left with some really hard/sticky residue that I can't get off of for the life of me. It's not actually where the oil was sitting(only had about 2 inches of vegetable oil in there), it seems to be where the oil splashed a little bit. It's towards the top of the pot on the inside.

Anyways, I tried soaking overnight, soaking in super hot soapy water, boiling water in the pot, barkeeper's friend and nothing gets it off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If all else fails, steel wool will scrape that poo poo off. $1-2 at any grocery.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will also scratch your pan, which is fine because pots and pans are tools, not pieces of art. Just prepare yourself for this.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Were they freezer bags? Ziploc makes regular bags and freezer bags, the freezer bags are thicker to resist being damaged by ice crystals.

Yep. The last time it was actually two Ziploc freezer bags, one inside the other, both completely sealed. As soon as the broth inside started to thaw it immediately leaked all over the place.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Since I keep hearing different things, can anyone tell me the best way to store:

Alliums
Potatoes
Cilantro/Parsley

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Since I keep hearing different things, can anyone tell me the best way to store:

Alliums
Potatoes
Cilantro/Parsley

1) Paper bag in a dark, dry, cool cupboard, do not seal bag or fold it over

2) Completely exposed in a dark, dry, cool cupboard, preferably resting on a wire rack so airflow is even and moisture can not build

3) For all leafy greens/fresh herbs wrap the bundle in a paper towel loosely. put in a ziploc bag that you close only PARTIALLY and stick it in your crisper. It is resource intensive but the best way to keep things as fresh as possible.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

How many cups of lard to a pound? Scale broke, sadly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Halalelujah posted:

Wolfram Alpha says 18 fluid oz, or 2 and a quarter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

Fatty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Halalelujah posted:

Find something that weighs a pound and then make your own balance scale

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Three questions here:
My bday is coming up and I usually have a few people over for dinner. The main course is lasagna.
1) I want to do a risotto app, but I'm not sure what kind (I'd like to do a morel risotto but I couldn't find any this year). Most seafood is out as my gf will only eat mussels and clams. Any awesome recipes are welcome.

2) Good bread. I suck at baking, but I'd like to learn and get better. So, more complex recipes are awesome.

3) I'll be making a standard vanilla custard ice-cream, but I also want to make a chocolate-cayenne, so I'd like some cool recipes for that as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Wotan posted:

2) Good bread. I suck at baking, but I'd like to learn and get better. So, more complex recipes are awesome.

Pain A'Lancienne

6c bread flour (27oz)
2+1/4t salt
1+3/4t instant yeast
2+1/4c plus 2T to 3c ice (40f) water (19 to 24 oz)

Paddle mix everything with 19oz water for 2m on low. Dough hook mix for 5-6m on medium. Should be sticky but release from the sides.

Oil a bowl, dump the dough in, spray oil the top, plastic wrap the top, refrigerate overnight.

Take it out of the fridge (it will sort of rise), but leave it out for a few hours so it warms up and doubles.

Flour up the counter, lay it out, try not to degas it, and slice it into baguette strips with a wet pastry cutter. Slash that poo poo.

Oven to 550 (or 500 if you have a bitch oven) with a pizza stone and broiler tray inside, slide your baguettes onto the stone using parchment paper. Steam the oven with a cup of hot water, then give it 3x steam sprays 30 seconds apart. Lower to 475, bake for 8-9m, pull it out and eat that poo poo in 20 minutes.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

RazorBunny posted:

Yep. The last time it was actually two Ziploc freezer bags, one inside the other, both completely sealed. As soon as the broth inside started to thaw it immediately leaked all over the place.

I don't thaw anything without putting it in an open Tupperware first to catch potential leaks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Randomity posted:

I don't thaw anything without putting it in an open Tupperware first to catch potential leaks.

I normally do too, but I was in a hurry and forgot :( Thankfully I noticed before I lost too much or made too much of a mess - it was pumpkin broth, and I can't just go out and buy that if I run out of homemade.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Sionak posted:

I'm a plastic-phobe and have stocked up on a bunch of variously sized Pyrex bowls for leftovers. It takes more money and space but it works. :)

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

A question about (Idaho) potatoes. Normally I bake these, but when I make my mom's beef stew recipe I cut them up and use them because it helps thicken the stew without needing to add a slurry.

Sometimes, when I am peeling them, there is a brownish/purplish discoloration under the skin. I usually just use the peeler to remove it, because I find it unappealing. But I have been wondering what causes it, and am curious if anyone can help me out.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

LongSack posted:

Sometimes, when I am peeling them, there is a brownish/purplish discoloration under the skin. I usually just use the peeler to remove it, because I find it unappealing. But I have been wondering what causes it, and am curious if anyone can help me out.

It could be bruises: http://www.idahopotato.com/faqs/#60

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I fried some egg rolls the other day in a stainless steel saucepot and was left with some really hard/sticky residue that I can't get off of for the life of me. It's not actually where the oil was sitting(only had about 2 inches of vegetable oil in there), it seems to be where the oil splashed a little bit. It's towards the top of the pot on the inside.

Anyways, I tried soaking overnight, soaking in super hot soapy water, boiling water in the pot, barkeeper's friend and nothing gets it off. Anyone have any suggestions?

It looks like you used acids and detergents, but no bases. Some metals during processing go through an alkali degreasing step, so if it's a fat that's the trouble, it might be worth it. Try pouring some baking soda over it and making a kind of slurry or something and letting it soak. If that doesn't work, you're pretty much left with steel wool as mentioned above.

Electron Voltaire posted:

I'm a plastic-phobe and have stocked up on a bunch of variously sized Pyrex bowls for leftovers. It takes more money and space but it works.

I bought one of those pyrex containers that looks like a cylinder meant specifically for keeping leftovers, and it's my best food container. It cleans real easy, doesn't pick up odors or colors, will last a long time, and has a very good lid on top. The lid doesn't get very messy, so that should last for a long time, too. You can even put it in the oven (without the lid, obviously).

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

I have had this as well, and it is really irritating. What has worked for me is to put soap and water in the pan and bring it to a boil and let it cook for a bit.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

That makes sense. They do kinda remind me of bruises on an apple.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I'm looking at a recipe that calls for roasting garbonzo beans in an oven with various seasonings. I like the general idea, but I want to play around with the beans and am not used to cooking with them outside of making hummus.

My first question: It calls for dried beans that need to be soaked for 12-24 hours, and then boiled for 1-3 hours after that. I'm getting the impression that this site is geared towards some of the sillier natural food trends, and wonder if I am losing by using canned beans instead. I know canned items aren't good for everything, but is an extra 27 hours of effort really going to change much?

My second question: what sorts of seasonings can I put on the beans in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes without having to worry about them burn? Salt is an obvious one here, but I wonder if it would be better to toss the finished beans in some minced herbs and garlic after the fact instead of during.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
A booze related question.

I need to use whiskey in some eggnog and I'm wondering if I should bother buying the nicer stuff. Normally I'd assume any nuances are going to be lost but the recipe I'm using is uncooked and a good quarter of it is whiskey.