Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

zombiegeekgirl posted:

Can I just say I absolutely love these two!! Absolutely stunningly done! I've loved all of your ponies so far, but I am in love with these ones! Bravo! Bravo!

Thanks! Sadly, I couldn't find any more of the stuff to use as hair. So I'm now to just solid hair (which I love, though, so its ok).

And I'm thinking about buying an embroidery machine! But I have no idea where to start. So any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I'd need it to be able to support 4-5 colours or so?

Anyhoo. Some more stuff I finished in the last week.

And finally

I've changed up the head pattern in the last one. More narrow, no bottom strip so its skinnier. I've got some plans to change the body pattern to to make the back legs more horse-like, and have been getting help from another artist on that topic. But its all going good.

I really would like to do embroidery. It has such a... less delicate feel to it, than the iron-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Since I'm not one of your customers I know my opinion is pretty much meaningless, but this is the interent, so I'm going to share.

I think the fluttershy pony is cute, but I like the chunkier heads better. They just look more "pony" to me I guess.

They're all adorable though!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Since I'm not one of your customers I know my opinion is pretty much meaningless, but this is the interent, so I'm going to share.

I think the fluttershy pony is cute, but I like the chunkier heads better. They just look more "pony" to me I guess.

They're all adorable though!

I've been offering people a choice in heads since I've made that one ^^

Its got good coverage for the eyes at this point, unlike when I first started with stuffed animals >.>

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 21, 2012

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

And I'm thinking about buying an embroidery machine! But I have no idea where to start. So any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I'd need it to be able to support 4-5 colours or so?

I went with a Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold for my embroidery machine. It was so loving expensive but so loving worth it since it was also replacing my older sewing/embroidery machine. The fact that it has a goddamn camera on the machine which scans my hoop and lets me drag and drop the embroidery design exactly where I want it to be sewn is such a time saver.

To even out the pricing, I went with cheaper Embroidery digitizing software but you can even find some free ones if you look hard enough.

GET AN EMBROIDERY MACHINE. It is so fun.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

I went with a Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold for my embroidery machine. It was so loving expensive but so loving worth it since it was also replacing my older sewing/embroidery machine. The fact that it has a goddamn camera on the machine which scans my hoop and lets me drag and drop the embroidery design exactly where I want it to be sewn is such a time saver.

To even out the pricing, I went with cheaper Embroidery digitizing software but you can even find some free ones if you look hard enough.

GET AN EMBROIDERY MACHINE. It is so fun.

Going into the city to take a look at one!

Was told to get one with a USB port, and to not get a Singer. I reeeeaaaallly want to to embroidery :3

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

Going into the city to take a look at one!

Was told to get one with a USB port, and to not get a Singer. I reeeeaaaallly want to to embroidery :3

Most embroidery machines these days should have a USB port on them. That's the biggest reason I upgraded to my current machine. I was sick of proprietary cards/readers.

Be prepared for sticker shock, though! Brother makes some decent embroidery machines for an okay price (same guts as most of the Baby Locks) but ultimately it will be down to ease of use/customer support from your dealer. I drive 30 minutes out of my way to my Baby Lock dealer because the old ladies who run that shop are absolute dolls. My alternative was the grumpy old man who tried to sell me a Brother or Husqvarna like it was a new car.

I'm excited for you!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Nolen, I'm curious, do you do sewing etc as a job or (really expensive) hobby? I'm just completely envious of your setup, is all :( I especially want a copy of that plush pattern making software, holy crap I could never justify it for the price though.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

Most embroidery machines these days should have a USB port on them. That's the biggest reason I upgraded to my current machine. I was sick of proprietary cards/readers.

Be prepared for sticker shock, though! Brother makes some decent embroidery machines for an okay price (same guts as most of the Baby Locks) but ultimately it will be down to ease of use/customer support from your dealer. I drive 30 minutes out of my way to my Baby Lock dealer because the old ladies who run that shop are absolute dolls. My alternative was the grumpy old man who tried to sell me a Brother or Husqvarna like it was a new car.

I'm excited for you!

I've been given some scary ranges of numbers, but I have some extra cash sitting around and its an ~investment~ (I tell myself, not a toy). They also have used machines there, so I hope I can snag a cheaper used one that meets the minimum requirements!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Voltin Bolt posted:

Nolen, I'm curious, do you do sewing etc as a job or (really expensive) hobby? I'm just completely envious of your setup, is all :( I especially want a copy of that plush pattern making software, holy crap I could never justify it for the price though.

I'm actually a software engineer who uses his paychecks to fund his expensive hobbies. It would be amazing if I could quit my day job and just make plush toys all day, but I know I'll never make enough to sustain myself completely.

I've actually been so busy with work stuff over the last few months that I haven't really had a chance to sew anything new :(. Expect this to change over very soon!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Looks like I got suckered into making another pony for someone. A goon contacted me and wanted it for his girlfriend's birthday. A likely excuse.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2012

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

blackflare posted:

Looks like I got suckered into making another pony for someone. A goon contacted me and wanted it for his girlfriend's birthday. A likely excuse.

Good work! I always wonder that, but I don't really concern myself on it too much. Makes me think I should upgrade my account to allow for messaging though.

On a different note,

I am now $1778 poorer. But many times that richer in richness~

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 26, 2012

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

On a different note,

I am not $1778 poorer. But many times that richer in richness~

Welcome to the awesome world of embroidery! What software are you going with for your designs?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

Welcome to the awesome world of embroidery! What software are you going with for your designs?

Stitch Era Universal is what a friend suggested, though the store suggested getting a professional to make them. But that'd cost me $30 per character, and I already spent enough today >.>

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

Stitch Era Universal is what a friend suggested, though the store suggested getting a professional to make them. But that'd cost me $30 per character, and I already spent enough today >.>

Meh. The store is just trying to get you to spend more money. Most of the digitizing programs are all the same, minus interface. Stitch Era is pretty good, especially for the price.

You can check out SophieSew, though it's pretty buggy and the guy writing it has kinda dropped off the face of the Earth.

I use an older version of the Brother software that I found for cheap on craigslist. It saves to the same format as the Baby Lock software that costs so much more, but if I hadn't found such a good deal on the Brother suite, I would be using Stitch Era Universal just like you.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Brainbread posted:

I am not $1778 poorer. But many times that richer in richness~

So jealous. I wouldn't know what to do with it but I'm still jealous.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

So jealous. I wouldn't know what to do with it but I'm still jealous.

Well.

This is what I did with it.

Second head I made with embroidery, gonna be doing a different character today. There are some things I need to fix: Make the white parts about 5% larger in Stitch Era Universal so that they get covered by the black/colour'd bits, as there is a little bit of gap.

Other than that, Its been fine! No hoop-burn on the material when I hoop it, and I have a water soluable tear-away stabilizer that goes between the pile and the embroidery to keep the fluff down.

Its been real nice so far ^^

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

Well.

This is what I did with it.

Second head I made with embroidery, gonna be doing a different character today. There are some things I need to fix: Make the white parts about 5% larger in Stitch Era Universal so that they get covered by the black/colour'd bits, as there is a little bit of gap.

Other than that, Its been fine! No hoop-burn on the material when I hoop it, and I have a water soluable tear-away stabilizer that goes between the pile and the embroidery to keep the fluff down.

Its been real nice so far ^^

This is great! Embroidery machine success!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Finished another project! This is kyubey from a show called madoka.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

blackflare posted:

Finished another project! This is kyubey from a show called madoka.

Good work!

I tried making Kyubey a year ago! I failed miserably and did a terrible job. I want to go back and try making him again now! :D

Got some more stuff done myself.

And I did an hour project!

Its something I'm trying to get into for a craft sale. Just taking a simple critter, and trying to make it in under an hour. I made a few super-simple bees that took me ~55 minutes each, and this little fellar, which I think I can actually push out in 40 minutes if I plan it right.

Its really good practice imo!

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

blackflare posted:

What's that? A new project I just finished?

(Its a luchadeer)

I 100% would buy this if you made more, great job.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Sadly I may have to. The one I sent to giant bomb got lost because the address on the site was like 5 months out of date. I showed Ryan Davis and he was devastated.

\/\/\/\/ Well, Im not going to tell him Im making a new one, so that should be a surprise too.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2012

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

Aw man that sucks big time, Ryan would have flipped his poo poo if that had just turned up in the mail!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I still haven't learned to sew, but I've bought the supplies to do a crocheted amigurumi of :frogout:.

If it comes out decent, I'll post the pattern/notes. I'm planning on doing a sort of oval body as the first draft, with the legs and eyes stitched on separately. The eyes themselves will probably be white crocheted spheres with clay pupils.

I guess I could get more accurate by making the body more like a beanbag sort of shape...

I get the feeling I'll have a lot of false starts.

Here's an amigurumi I finished recently:

Based on this pattern.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TVarmy posted:

I still haven't learned to sew, but I've bought the supplies to do a crocheted amigurumi of :frogout:.

If it comes out decent, I'll post the pattern/notes. I'm planning on doing a sort of oval body as the first draft, with the legs and eyes stitched on separately. The eyes themselves will probably be white crocheted spheres with clay pupils.

I guess I could get more accurate by making the body more like a beanbag sort of shape...

I get the feeling I'll have a lot of false starts.

Here's an amigurumi I finished recently:

Based on this pattern.

He's so cute! Does his neckline go all the way around (it looks like a toothy grin)?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I crocheted the seam to make it look more like the logo. I didn't intend to make the zigzag, but I thought it looked kind of rustic and definitely better than nothing, so I kept it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Some more stuff done!

Looks like my Embroidery machine is working well. Paying someone to make high-quality .jef files for it, so I can't wait for that to get done.

I'm gonna try making a Beemo (BMO) plushie today. Hopefully that is successful!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I made a quick project as a gift for a friend's kid.

:3:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

blackflare posted:

I made a quick project as a gift for a friend's kid.

:3:

Neat! I want to make a similar dinosaur for a friend who will be having a baby any moment now. I'm planning to try my hand at modifying a pig plush pattern into a stegosaurus but if it turns into a mess I have the same pattern you used lying around for backup :D

I've never sewn with fleece before though, will a regular stitch suffice?

I've also found this crinkle paper for baby toys and was thinking of giving it crinkly back-plates, do I sew that together with the plates or put it in loose?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Neat! I want to make a similar dinosaur for a friend who will be having a baby any moment now. I'm planning to try my hand at modifying a pig plush pattern into a stegosaurus but if it turns into a mess I have the same pattern you used lying around for backup :D

I've never sewn with fleece before though, will a regular stitch suffice?

I've also found this crinkle paper for baby toys and was thinking of giving it crinkly back-plates, do I sew that together with the plates or put it in loose?

Fleece is pretty simple to work with, so a normal stitch should be fine (was fine for me at least!) Though I have no idea what crinkle paper is, so I can't really comment on that.

And this is what I've got done since my last post. I would think I need a break, but I've got so much to do!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Brainbread, everything looks so much more polished now with the embroidery. Making me want my own machine pretty hard, here. Wish I could just steal my mom's Husqvarna Diamond and get away with it, though when something goes wrong it's a lot harder to fix than my 70s Bernina...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hello plush-makers! The game company I work for is holding an office decoration contest. For my team I would like to have a nice shelf full of plush-sized versions of our game characters and I think you guys might be able to help me :3:

I can't post any pictures since everything is still under NDA, but basically all the plushes would be of humans (each a different design) along with one of an old school airplane. In total 5 to 9 models, depending on what can be done.

If you're interested, please PM me or send an email to vhalyar [at] gmail [dot] com and I can show you pictures of what I want plushified and we can discuss the costs, sizes, etc.. Note: I'm in Germany, which affects shipping possibilities.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 26, 2012

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Here's what I've been working on recently:

2-way clips on plush jellyfish. This one was my first and ended up a little bit messy-looking, but I'm making another one today for my friend. I also plan on making more in white and black, along with these ivory ones.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

Brainbread, everything looks so much more polished now with the embroidery. Making me want my own machine pretty hard, here. Wish I could just steal my mom's Husqvarna Diamond and get away with it, though when something goes wrong it's a lot harder to fix than my 70s Bernina...

Thanks! Its a far cry from the stuff I was making a year ago, and I'm glad you like! Embroidery machines are a bit expensive (Mine was $2000, got it for $1450 on sale), but worth it.

Mango Polo posted:

I can't post any pictures since everything is still under NDA, but basically all the plushes would be of humans (each a different design) along with one of an old school airplane. In total 5 to 9 models, depending on what can be done.

I don't think I can help you there. Humans are a far cry from my specialty. Deadly-Sweet might be able to help, but they're real busy.

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Here's what I've been working on recently:

2-way clips on plush jellyfish. This one was my first and ended up a little bit messy-looking, but I'm making another one today for my friend. I also plan on making more in white and black, along with these ivory ones.

Very cute! They a quick project, or do they take a couple of hours to make?

And for some content on my half,

Making the Cello was actually really enjoyable. Its nice to make none-pony related characters!

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Brainbread posted:

Very cute! They a quick project, or do they take a couple of hours to make?

Thank you! :3: Due to the small bits and the fiddly nature of the fabric, it can take up a lot of time, up to two hours if I make a lot of mistakes like I usually do. Once I get a few more made, I might put together a tutorial. People who are better at sewing might be able to do it a lot more quickly than I can.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Thank you! :3: Due to the small bits and the fiddly nature of the fabric, it can take up a lot of time, up to two hours if I make a lot of mistakes like I usually do. Once I get a few more made, I might put together a tutorial. People who are better at sewing might be able to do it a lot more quickly than I can.

If you get around to a tutorial, I'd be interested! I need to expand me repertoire to things that do not take 8 hours to make :D

And another plushie done. Luckily, the local fabric stores have a decent selection, so getting the colours right (at this moment) isn't a chore, though it'll likely change when their stock rotates, as usual.

Step 1 is realizing you'll never ever get anything right, and then ignoring people when they nitpick (a good answer is, "I tried to match the colour as closely as possible, but the one you're asking for does not actually exist in the real world")

So, the "colours" on this character are described as.

Mane: Brilliant raspberry
Coat: Pale, light grayish raspberry

If you don't know, those colours are oddly specific, even more so as where I live, Raspberry's are burgundy. In any case, I settled for "hot pink" and "pink" respectively because no-one can tell the difference.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
nolen's frog pattern instructions said to post here if I made one. I made a cute desk-sized frog and I may try for an even smaller one though I'll have to change the toes or keep them at that size to do it. Here he is with some friends:

I'm either doing his buttchin wrong or the fabric just won't hold the floss that tight. I tried twice making a huge knot and it just slipped right through both times in two different spots. The second time it waited to do that until after I'd sewn up the bottom so I said gently caress it I'm keeping this frog anyway. Otherwise I'm really happy with it.

Then one day last week I wasn't feeling great so I made this:

I'm gonna hang him on the wall :3:

There's some seriously impressive things in this thread, I have a bunch of Nintendo paraphernalia in an etsy shop but haven't done much original work, though I designed all of my patterns other than metroid and frog. I do prefer sewing by hand, I do not heart my current machine though I've had no trouble with various models in the past. I do need to replace it at some point for making clothes and such, but I really enjoy crafting by hand and doing embroidery and things like that as a hobby.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

NatashaQuick posted:

nolen's frog pattern instructions said to post here if I made one. I made a cute desk-sized frog and I may try for an even smaller one though I'll have to change the toes or keep them at that size to do it. Here he is with some friends:

I'm either doing his buttchin wrong or the fabric just won't hold the floss that tight. I tried twice making a huge knot and it just slipped right through both times in two different spots. The second time it waited to do that until after I'd sewn up the bottom so I said gently caress it I'm keeping this frog anyway. Otherwise I'm really happy with it.

Then one day last week I wasn't feeling great so I made this:

I'm gonna hang him on the wall :3:

There's some seriously impressive things in this thread, I have a bunch of Nintendo paraphernalia in an etsy shop but haven't done much original work, though I designed all of my patterns other than metroid and frog. I do prefer sewing by hand, I do not heart my current machine though I've had no trouble with various models in the past. I do need to replace it at some point for making clothes and such, but I really enjoy crafting by hand and doing embroidery and things like that as a hobby.

Its frog time! I was thinking of buying Nolans pattern to get the head down on him, but it came out well enough (though, I'll make sure to put some little marks for his nose, and that red part of the mouth for my next one).

And looks like I got some haters still, 'cause my avatar keeps changing :3:

Edit: Can you link me to Nolan's store for that pattern?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I think Nolen sticks to selling via pm or email.

After having the same embroidery floss problem with my first frog I started knotting the eyeball ends by tying it to the seam allowance, so that instead of having a knot that may pull through the seam it would have to pull the chunk of fabric with it. Also I think I starting going through the fabric near the seam instead of through the seam.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

I think Nolen sticks to selling via pm or email.

After having the same embroidery floss problem with my first frog I started knotting the eyeball ends by tying it to the seam allowance, so that instead of having a knot that may pull through the seam it would have to pull the chunk of fabric with it. Also I think I starting going through the fabric near the seam instead of through the seam.

I'll toss them a message then!

And do you mean for the center of the eyes, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

I'll toss them a message then!

And do you mean for the center of the eyes, or something else?

Where the dimple string starts at the eye. It's the same place Nolen specifies, just a different way of attaching it.

• Locked thread