Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Blhue posted:

Didn't it sell like poo poo even in Japan? I like the manga, but I felt the anime was fairly slow and anticlimactic so I don't think it'll fare any better overseas. It'd be great if it did, since it raises the chances of more of it being animated, but I wouldn't expect much.

Rightstuf launched a new label to to release it on a budget price, so chances are they got it for really cheap, and the release will probably be pretty bare bones as well and will most definitely be sub only. So this getting licensed is not too surprising because they're more than likely banking on a very small group to make their money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For a comic that's pretty much just a couple people sitting in a room full of weird poo poo Bonnouji sure is good.

And cute, funny,well written and drawn.

e:
I know I'm late to the party on it, but holy poo poo chapter 12. :3::xd:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 1, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This got updated with a recent chapter: 360 Degrees

Main reason why I like it? Doesn't deal with the typical bullshit and has the main characters actually talking to each other. "Oh, he said that? Let me talk to him so I know it isn't true, k?"

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

a kitten posted:

For a comic that's pretty much just a a couple people sitting in a room full of weird poo poo Bonnouji sure is good.

And cute, funny,well written and drawn.

e:
I know I'm late to the party on it, but holy poo poo chapter 12. :3::xd:

ADTRW: The Misc. Shoujo & Romance Thread: Are You Reading Bonnouji Yet? You Should Be.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

partipo posted:

ADTRW: The Misc. Shoujo & Romance Thread: Are You Reading Bonnouji Yet? You Should Be.

I just jumped in on the last page for something to check out next and I really like Bonnouji, is there anything else like it that I should look into? It gives off good vibes like Usagi Drop did and I crave more of the same.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Aki Eda's non Bonnouji stuff is pretty similar in tone. It is mainly short yuri and touhou stories though. Her last patchyXalice collection was pretty great, just wish I could find it again.

In other news new Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. poo poo's going down, and some great reactions from Haru and Mitty. I'm pumped for the anime. Any word on when its going to air?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo Aki Eda does Bonnouji? That's it, I'm reading it right the gently caress now.

edit: For those of you who like Touhou, this is the person who drew Silent Sinner in Blue and Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 6, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sailor Moon Kai to happen next year.

Between this and JoJo's the 90's are back to take names.

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
Oishii Kankei
I've been reading this one, slowly, but I thought I would share it.
Batoto summarizes it better than I could:

quote:

Fujiwara Momoe, a girl who loves to eat, was raised by her rich parents eating only the best.

When her father dies from heart disease and Momoe has to support her and her mother, she can't stand the food that she makes (she never cooked before).

One day, she walks into a little French restaurant and recognizes the food from its taste. She had eaten it several years earlier when celebrating her birthday at a 5-star restaurant with her parents. She asks to work there as a cook under the head chef, Oda-san. She falls in love with Oda, but he doesn't notice her feelings and only considers her an annoying apprentice. This series goes through joy and heartbreak, as experienced by Momoe.

I'm only up to volume 4, but so far it has given me the same feeling as reading Hana Yori Dango: frustration towards the romance, but still dying to know if they end up together.
Also, it makes me hungry.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sailor Moon Kai to happen next year.

Between this and JoJo's the 90's are back to take names.

Not so much Kai as a new adaptation. There's the usual "a bit closer to the manga" spiel this time, but people forget that every single adaptation, including the animated series, are pretty different from the manga. People were more surprised the (much older now) voice actors of Moon (who is apparently coming back) and Tux appeared in promo talk.

Considering how out there the recent live action show was I wouldn't be surprised if they go in some weird new direction.

keet fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 11, 2012

coathat
May 21, 2007

Its been forever but now is the time for chapter 13 of Taiyou no Ie! I'm glad that Daiki is going to be around for a while he's a pretty cool dude.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 30 of My Girl has been released. At least they're still coming, albeit slowly...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Chapter 70 of Kimi ni Todoke has been released.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I foresee many awkward double dates amongst these characters in the future.

I like this couple, though :frogbon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I foresee many awkward double dates amongst these characters in the future.

I like this couple, though :frogbon:

I didn't initially but the idea has grown on me. It's better than it being Pin!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

a kitten posted:

I didn't initially but the idea has grown on me. It's better than it being Pin!

I'm glad it didn't turn out like that. Pin's a lot better when he's doing all of those supportive pep talk things, like with Sawako.

It's nice seeing this couple.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

They released v2, so that link is dead. new link

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Huh, apparently the Lolita fashion brand Baby The Stars Shine Bright are selling real-life versions of the outfits in Kuragehime.

Of course, they're expensive as hell, in very specific sizes, and mostly sold out. But still, neat to see.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
They've been selling those for awhile, they aren't actually outfits from the series, but outfits inspired by the series(as far as I can tell).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Love Allergen just finished up: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Love-Allergen

It's about Love physically hurting a girl but she still wants to feel it, a boy that doesn't know poo poo about love if it bitch slapped him in the face, and a club formed to figure this out.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

God drat finally.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

arisu posted:

New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

God drat finally.

Just started reading this series recently, and I really like it.

It's nice that they finally got together, but I ended up feeling sorry for Yamaken anyway.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm at the 13th chapter of Bonnouji thanks to this thread and I'm loving it. The one thing, though, is it doesn't communicate passage of time well; the first 13 chapters apparently cover 2 years worth of events and I'd almost thought the translator was getting something wrong because that seemed like a ludicrously long amount of time for what I'd otherwise assume was a few months in-story time.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The new Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun was super. Yamaken's whole inner monologue was great.

New Taiyou no Ie too. Just a side story but it's still really cute.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I found Orange Marmalade via this thread (I think?) and, yes, it is super slow but yay its gotten awesome lately if you haven't kept up (new chapter today).

Thanks for the recommendation on Bonnouji, shits awesome.
...also just caught up on Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I might need some more recommendations soon...

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 24, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers Ch:46
Oh god, Shimura you're killin' me here.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

a kitten posted:

New Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers Ch:46
Oh god, Shimura you're killin' me here.

Oh man, I love it when a bimonthly wastes 2/3rds of its pages on stuff that has nothing to do with the main story.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Blhue posted:

Oh man, I love it when a bimonthly wastes 2/3rds of its pages on stuff that has nothing to do with the main story.

That's how Shimura rolls, you're just realizing this now? At least Aoi Hana has never gotten as bad as Hourou Musuko has. At least it seems to be winding down and things are coming to a head, in that slow slow slow way that she does things. Hourou Musuko's going to take at least like, 50 more chapters the way she updates.

She's amazing and also terrible at the same time :argh:

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Good news! New Bonnouji is out! :blush:, also somewhat :nws:

Bad news! No new translated chapters coming out for quite a long time apparently. :sigh:

Edit: added NWS tag just in case.

Puukko naamassa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 26, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it's a good place as any to take a break I suppose. Good job Bonnouji at being so easy going and chill about stuff that most other romance manga would get into a tizzy about.

12 months though? Is it a series that's not serialized?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah that seems weird (and dang, I just started reading this. Maybe I'll make an ADTRWiki page so folks don't forget about it over the next year or so?). Does anyone know what's up?

edit: OKAY I'll fill it out a little more later or y'all can do that I guess: http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Bonnouji

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 26, 2012

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I feel it is important to point out that the latest chapter of Bonnouji is fairly :nws:.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

While organizing some of giant pile o' internet pictures I found all the various sketches I'd saved from Takako Shimura's twitter uploads (and a few more, from various sources) Click for big, some are NWS.

Homura from Madoka Magica: this one is from an official artbook.

Assortment of her characters, not sure of the source.
[
:nws: sketch

Self portrait

Moomin

Bunny Girl

Fumi, Akira and ??? from Aoi Hana; for some reason Akira is a toddler. Kind of cute, kind of weird.

Autographed original sketch? Not sure just found on the 'net.

Akira keychain/phone decoration/whatever, presumably part of an Aoi Hana DVD promo.

:nws: sketch

Mami, also from Madoka.

I absolutely love her linework, and her watercolors

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it's a good place as any to take a break I suppose. Good job Bonnouji at being so easy going and chill about stuff that most other romance manga would get into a tizzy about.

12 months though? Is it a series that's not serialized?

Maybe Aki Eda is on hiatus? From what the translator said though there will be more eventually though.

It was a nice chapter that makes me feel good about not being 16 and never having to be 16 ever again.

partipo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 30, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

ARGH I just finished Octave and I want moooooore.

Is there any other good yuri manga where most/all of it is about an actual relationship instead of everything leading up to the relationship or unrequited love or whatever?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

ARGH I just finished Octave and I want moooooore.

Is there any other good yuri manga where most/all of it is about an actual relationship instead of everything leading up to the relationship or unrequited love or whatever?

Love My Life is excellent. There's a pretty good live-action movie adaptation of it too.

quote:

My name is Ichiko and Ellie is my lover. We’re both women. The series of endless, pure, and true love between two women that created a huge sensation is now available as a book! Here is the relationship perspective of Ichiko and Ellie.

Kisses, Sighs & Cherry-blossom Pink starts out as a set of interconnected stories all set in the same high school, the second half focuses solely on one of the couples after they get together.
Part 1 Part 2

Kimi Koi Limit is decent, and starts out with one couple already together, complications happen almost immediately when one of the girls can't forget her first crush though. I think it started out kind of rough, I remember liking it pretty well by the end.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 1, 2012

coathat
May 21, 2007

Taiyou no Ie time yall!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ANN has a pretty cool interview up with Kanta Kamei, the director of the Bunny Drop anime.

Link

They do ask him about how he feels about the manga ending, but he just says "But I still have some mixed feelings about it..."

They planned from the beginning to just do the first 4 volumes, so I think that probably worked out for the best.

Some highlights if your clicking finger is broken:

quote:

What made you decide to limit the anime version to the first four manga volumes? Are you aware of the controversy about the manga's ending, and did that influence your decision?

When the anime was being produced, the original manga was not finished yet, so I thought it would not be possible to include the parts past volume 4. The comic is divided up into parts where Rin is a child, and where she is a young adult. The themes and points of view were completely different, so we all decided from the beginning that we would only go up to volume

Is Daikichi a character you see your audience relating to?

The construction of Daikichi's character is difficult because he is too good of a person. I did take great care in showing him so that the audience would root for him. Maybe I made him look too cool?

How did you handle the contrasts in Rin's character, a child who is in some ways very grown up?

The reason why she's mature for her age is because her “Grandpa” raised her. That is why I included things that kids at Rin's age generally don't know or typically do.

Do you feel Usagi Drop has any social role to play in the understanding or acceptance of the growing number of single parents living in Japan and around the world, particularly for working women in developed countries?

To be honest, I had not considered that. If we are to be able to influence social understanding in such a way, I will be very happy as a content creator.

What is your opinion of Masako-san?

Masako abandoned her child for the sake of her own happiness. But as she continues to see Rin grow up, the cross she bears weighs down on her heavily, causing her to be the unhappiest of them all. It pains me to see her.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 5, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I kinda just asked this about yuri and I'm always asking for really specific recommendations in this thread but WHATEVER.

I want a manga that's about a relationship between adults that aren't idiots and act like normal people in a relationship. I'd prefer it to be josei because despite being a man I'm incapable of relating to most men (hence my preference for yuri).

Frankly, I'm fuckin tired of unrequited love. Maybe Kimi no Todoke broke my brain. Or most likely real life events did. But I just want to read about likeable people in a relationship that have realistic conflicts and struggles instead of reading about 2 idiots who can't even say "Hey I like you".

Basically I want Octave. Why did she have to stop it at 6 volumes? :smith:

I also very much prefer series that have a decent number of volumes out already, but I'm probably deep into uncharted territory already so I'll take whatever I can get.

e: how long does it take for the main characters to get together in Nodame Cantabile?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I picked up Otoyomegatari just the other day. The art is so loving detailed and pretty I think I'm in love. It's a great read too.