Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Found some lovely terrain that could be used for Infinity or 40k:
http://www.fionaadoresheroes.com/
More product pictures:
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2012/07/25/62216/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pretty cool, but the prices they're asking on ebay are high even for the normal laser cut MDF stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, their webstore is like 11GBP for a small building, which is kinda steep for MDF. I like the look of them for the material though.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
As an aside, what style of terrain (mdf laser cut) would you goons like to see more of?

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

No Pun Intended posted:

As an aside, what style of terrain (mdf laser cut) would you goons like to see more of?

Can you do anything besides "buildings" with that, really?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
A WIP of a devilfish I've been slowly working on. Orange is a bitch to paint and photograph. Eventually it will be as beat up as the drone sitting in the turret who I posted before, but for now I'm still working on getting the base coats down.

KamNZ
May 4, 2009

At least I'm warm...
I got back into painting again a few months back and have put together a pretty good stock of Vallejo paints as I prefer the dropper bottles over the pots.

So far I've been finding the reds a little lacking so today I picked up Citadel's Mephiston Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet and the difference is night and day. Better coverage than Vallejo's Extra Opaque and just an overall better finished product.

It has left me wondering; Are there any other colors that Citadel or P3 do better that I may miss by mainly sticking to VGC and VMC?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

CrotchPheasant posted:

Can you do anything besides "buildings" with that, really?

Well no, but buildings do come in many and varied shapes, sizes and types.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

A WIP of a devilfish I've been slowly working on. Orange is a bitch to paint and photograph. Eventually it will be as beat up as the drone sitting in the turret who I posted before, but for now I'm still working on getting the base coats down.

I really like that orange/grey scheme. It looks lovely.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
That Blood Bowl table is all kinds of awesome.
I really like the Devilfish as well. Nice scheme.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really like that orange/grey scheme. It looks lovely.

It's Gordon Freeman's personal pimped out hover mobile! That's what grey and orange make me think of at least.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

No Pun Intended posted:

Well no, but buildings do come in many and varied shapes, sizes and types.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. I think there's enough "scenery" buildings out there, so I'd like to see more small bunkers and large military-style buildings, especially with removable roofs or internal walls that can be repositioned. I'd love to run a game entirely indoors, or to have a squad that has been firing from inside a building get assaulted and be able to remove the top to handle combat.

So maybe not just buildings, but Space Hulk-style (albeit larger) tilesets as well? I dunno how big the interest for that would be, but I'd be all over it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

No Pun Intended posted:

I'd like some modular necromunda-style raised walkways, rail-lines or roadways, complete with ladders and ramps.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

KamNZ posted:

I got back into painting again a few months back and have put together a pretty good stock of Vallejo paints as I prefer the dropper bottles over the pots.

So far I've been finding the reds a little lacking so today I picked up Citadel's Mephiston Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet and the difference is night and day. Better coverage than Vallejo's Extra Opaque and just an overall better finished product.

It has left me wondering; Are there any other colors that Citadel or P3 do better that I may miss by mainly sticking to VGC and VMC?

Black.

There are colors in the P3 line that PV won't do without, menoth white highlight, some black highlihgt.

A Caution for Airbrushers read the labels of your paints! VMC dark red, for instance contains Cadmium and is labeled "Do Not Spray".

For buildings, I want to make the spaceport district of Mos Eisley on the cheap.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

No Pun Intended posted:

Bunker complexes!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
For buildings, could you make grids? I'd like to make my Super Dungeon Explore fancier, and you may want to think about looking into nice stuff for Sedition Wars.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

This looks like an under armor shirt. Or a running shoe. I approve.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SRM posted:

Bunker complexes!

What he said!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Feeple posted:

For buildings, could you make grids? I'd like to make my Super Dungeon Explore fancier, and you may want to think about looking into nice stuff for Sedition Wars.

Or for that case, a Blood Bowl pitch.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JESUS CHRIST THAT IS GORGEOUS
I love it. gently caress. It's like a nectarine from the chinese luftwaffe of the future. I want it to soak my chaos legions in sticky citrus. I picture it squirting a giant gushing hose of fresh delicious pulpy juice as it glides over the battlefield. It's like the Yoshi fruit vomit from Mario Sunshine, but in hovertank form.

God. God.

GOD.

Get... Get some loving ... orange... clear plastic ... poo poo. And glue it on there. Like instead of necron limeade bulbs. You need some orange translucent poo poo on there.

Just glue some right on there.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

JESUS CHRIST THAT IS GORGEOUS
I love it. gently caress. It's like a nectarine from the chinese luftwaffe of the future. I want it to soak my chaos legions in sticky citrus. I picture it squirting a giant gushing hose of fresh delicious pulpy juice as it glides over the battlefield. It's like the Yoshi fruit vomit from Mario Sunshine, but in hovertank form.

God. God.

GOD.

Get... Get some loving ... orange... clear plastic ... poo poo. And glue it on there. Like instead of necron limeade bulbs. You need some orange translucent poo poo on there.

Just glue some right on there.

TRIGGER WARNING: Orange juice.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Cross posting from the oath thread.

I managed to finish my Skulls of the Archangel Honor Guard squad.

First up, one of the marines armed with Lightning Claws.

Next up, my Sanguinary Noviate.

Next, my Chapter Champion.

A Plasma Rifle Equipped Marine.

And my Chapter Banner bearer.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

TRIGGER WARNING: Orange juice.

You must drink your OJ. It is for the Greater Good.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

No Pun Intended posted:

I'd have to see what kind of bunker complexes the others are suggesting, but yeah an easy to break-down Blood Bowl pitch would be cool, with add-on dugouts or whatever. Also, seconding the suggestion for anything that will go along with Sedition Wars (https://www.seditionwars.com) - you can get color tile packs for it but the ability to have 3D terrain with grates, computer consoles, doors, steps, etc. would be pretty cool. Someone mentioned catwalks also, and how about signage like billboards and modular fortification walls like the Aegis thing that's been release for 40K?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Looking for some advice on how to finish up my Winter Themed Nyss Hunters.

Body is VMA Pale Sea Blue, with GW Ice blue highhlights, washed with Babab Black. Hair was done with Coal Black, planning on highlighting with Space Wolves Grey or Menoth White Highlight.

Going to do the metals on the Sword in Vallejo Liquid Gold Silver, and maybe some of the armour with VLQ Old Gold.

Anyone have any advice on how to make them pop more?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
You need some color contrast homie. Work in a warmish tone somewhere. Are those headswaps with dark elves from whfb? Im thinking of ways to un-fugly my nyss, who will be in my cryx army. My tentative plan is ninja scarf/masks with glowing green eyes, but head swaps sound good too.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Do the flesh in dark purple, highlight up through a splotchy layer of brownish gray, and then a medium red for the final highlight to make them look frostbitten like bruised plums.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

You need some color contrast homie. Work in a warmish tone somewhere. Are those headswaps with dark elves from whfb? Im thinking of ways to un-fugly my nyss, who will be in my cryx army. My tentative plan is ninja scarf/masks with glowing green eyes, but head swaps sound good too.

I couldn't bear the original heads so these are Dark Eldar Whyches from HoardOBits on ebay. Biggest decision was whether to decapitate Cylena or not, since her head isn't terrible - decided it was needed for consistency as the Eldar heads are a tiny bit larger.

They're mostly going to be working for my Khador so I'm trying to see now if I could fit any red on there - potentially the armour and front skirt. Would Skorne red be too cold? Maybe Skorne highlighted with Khador?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Do the flesh in dark purple, highlight up through a splotchy layer of brownish gray, and then a medium red for the final highlight to make them look frostbitten like bruised plums.

I have a huge purple shaped whole in my collection. Only thing even close is P3 Murderous Magenta. Any suggestions for a good one (preferably GW, or VMC as I have vaguely local access to them)?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Harkano posted:

Looking for some advice on how to finish up my Winter Themed Nyss Hunters.

Body is VMA Pale Sea Blue, with GW Ice blue highhlights, washed with Babab Black. Hair was done with Coal Black, planning on highlighting with Space Wolves Grey or Menoth White Highlight.

Going to do the metals on the Sword in Vallejo Liquid Gold Silver, and maybe some of the armour with VLQ Old Gold.

Anyone have any advice on how to make them pop more?

I just ordered that paint for my Leigon skintones! :hfive:

Definitely a warm tone. Like, make their blades a strong red tone, or the cloth underneath the leather bits. That'd make 'em sweet as hell.

Feeple fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 26, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Harkano posted:

I have a huge purple shaped whole in my collection. Only thing even close is P3 Murderous Magenta. Any suggestions for a good one (preferably GW, or VMC as I have vaguely local access to them)?

In p3 tones, I'd go Beaten Purple->Idrian Flesh->Sanguine Base watered down and possibly mixed with the purple, uneavenly.
(links are probably NMS--it's photographs of frostbite damage)
This cat is a good example of how the colors work.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images21/CatFrostbiteBlackSkinRemoved8.jpg

It's like fire, only the most exposed parts transition down from blackened dead flesh to raw bleeding and discolored regular.

fakeedit: oh hey, this one is better
http://jhmakeup.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/frostbite.jpg
No blood, and I wouldn't bother with the necrotized sections, since it'll make them look way too zombie--go for the traumatized, but alive flesh.

edit: Holy poo poo! thanks cut and paste bot who made those img tags instead of urls. I did not mean to do that.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 26, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, drat, I clicked on the second link thinking it'd be a shot of a purpley-colored miniature...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jadebullet posted:

Cross posting from the oath thread.

I managed to finish my Skulls of the Archangel Honor Guard squad.

Any particular reason why you decided to use a bunch of Space Wolf bits in various locations? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing AT ALL--quite the contrary--I just am always curious what sparks the inspiration for people to kitbash like this.

The models look great to me, in case that wasn't obvious!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The purple bruise chat is good for me too. I have purple chaos marines and Ive been struggling to do something unique with my nurgle stuff. I didn't want standard nurgle green even though green is my secondary color. I tried to do a more sickly pale purple but it basically just looks lavender adn that's not scary. Maybe a gross darker bruise color would look good.

Is beaten purple basically the same as liche purple, or is it different enough that I should pick it up? My normal marines are pure liche purple highlighted with liche+grey or liche+bone.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dominion posted:

The purple bruise chat is good for me too. I have purple chaos marines and Ive been struggling to do something unique with my nurgle stuff. I didn't want standard nurgle green even though green is my secondary color. I tried to do a more sickly pale purple but it basically just looks lavender adn that's not scary. Maybe a gross darker bruise color would look good.

Is beaten purple basically the same as liche purple, or is it different enough that I should pick it up? My normal marines are pure liche purple highlighted with liche+grey or liche+bone.

Well, I use vallejo, usually, and they have some lichen game color I use for purple that's probably closer to 'leviathan' or 'druchii' purple (according to this thing: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320032a_Citadel_Conversion_Chart)
The old Lich I used to have was slightly bluer. It's part of GW's blue/purple cloth palette. P3's purple shade is in the red spectrum, I think, though they recommend it as a base for a couple of their blues, but it's the Menoth palette which isn't as cool (note: tempwise, not kickinradwise) as cygnar (the mainly blue guys)
example: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/hierarch-severius

I mean, if you look at what's happening in the images I linked earlier, what you really need is to take your purple as a base coat, then slop some red splotches on parts that seem like they should be raw (which I think will be the junction between the highlight surfaces--where you'll get the worst damage, and consequently the deepest purple-black bruising--and the discolored flesh) and then thin the sallow flesh tone down and haphazardly cover that, without putting too much on things like cheeks, noses, chins, or lips, but still making sure you have decent coverage along the jaw, forehead, and possibly the neck. Maybe make a final pair of passes drybrushing first the red over ears, nose, lips, and cheeks, and then mostly covering that red with a further drybrushing of the purple to anchor the devastated feeling of the tissue in the places with poor circulation.

There's a lot of reference out there for how frost bite breaks down--and when the wounds begin rotting, that's a whole different deal, because it's basically the complete devastation and exposure to disease from burns, without the cauterization of heat to help keep it from getting too out of control. It's really painful to look at, but if you want to do some hardcore gross nurgle poo poo, I recommend google image searching 'frostbite wound' for yourself.

In my mind the suggestion was less 'holy poo poo do something gross' and more like an unearthly step between ruddy cheeks from being out in the cold and actual frostbite, implying that these strange dudes are both at home in the winter and also kind of unnaturally sustained and taxed by it--in the vein of the whole undead schtick where, on the one hand, you're not dead, but on the other hand, you're clearly not ok. Like you could use a hug, or some chapstick.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Progress:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well, I use vallejo, usually, and they have some lichen game color I use for purple that's probably closer to 'leviathan' or 'druchii' purple (according to this thing: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2320032a_Citadel_Conversion_Chart)
The old Lich I used to have was slightly bluer. It's part of GW's blue/purple cloth palette. P3's purple shade is in the red spectrum, I think, though they recommend it as a base for a couple of their blues, but it's the Menoth palette which isn't as cool (note: tempwise, not kickinradwise) as cygnar (the mainly blue guys)
example: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/hierarch-severius

I mean, if you look at what's happening in the images I linked earlier, what you really need is to take your purple as a base coat, then slop some red splotches on parts that seem like they should be raw (which I think will be the junction between the highlight surfaces--where you'll get the worst damage, and consequently the deepest purple-black bruising--and the discolored flesh) and then thin the sallow flesh tone down and haphazardly cover that, without putting too much on things like cheeks, noses, chins, or lips, but still making sure you have decent coverage along the jaw, forehead, and possibly the neck. Maybe make a final pair of passes drybrushing first the red over ears, nose, lips, and cheeks, and then mostly covering that red with a further drybrushing of the purple to anchor the devastated feeling of the tissue in the places with poor circulation.

There's a lot of reference out there for how frost bite breaks down--and when the wounds begin rotting, that's a whole different deal, because it's basically the complete devastation and exposure to disease from burns, without the cauterization of heat to help keep it from getting too out of control. It's really painful to look at, but if you want to do some hardcore gross nurgle poo poo, I recommend google image searching 'frostbite wound' for yourself.

In my mind the suggestion was less 'holy poo poo do something gross' and more like an unearthly step between ruddy cheeks from being out in the cold and actual frostbite, implying that these strange dudes are both at home in the winter and also kind of unnaturally sustained and taxed by it--in the vein of the whole undead schtick where, on the one hand, you're not dead, but on the other hand, you're clearly not ok. Like you could use a hug, or some chapstick.

So, an idea I had was to have the nurgle guys look like they were wearing the same purple armor as the rest, but that their armor has started to calcify or morph into actual bone or whatever. Do you think painting it sort of striated like people do with tyranid carapace, maybe going from dark purple up through bone would work?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Harkano posted:

Get the Reaper Master Series "Royal Purples" triad, then curse my name because you'll want to use it on everything. You may also want the "Dark Elf Flesh" triad, which is a purple-grey series of paints.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dominion posted:

So, an idea I had was to have the nurgle guys look like they were wearing the same purple armor as the rest, but that their armor has started to calcify or morph into actual bone or whatever. Do you think painting it sort of striated like people do with tyranid carapace, maybe going from dark purple up through bone would work?

I think it could, but I imagine to get the quality that it sounds like you're going for, you should combine some sculpting iliac crest/scapula kinds of shapes on parts of the armor, and then using a lot of wet blending, while leaving other parts of the armor pristine, and possibly varnished with a gloss (transitioning to matte) in order to highlight the difference in materials.

Something along these lines? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/216/wraithlord118wc.jpg/ Edit: I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Imageshanty? Is there some policy about linking to their pages or something?

Eldar are ok reference. I didn't see anything particularly appropriate in the chaos spawn/space marines with bone armor searches I made.

Depends on what exactly you're going for, but I think bone is usually more effective with brown highlights/base than purple, if only because purple implies blood and that implies flesh. You see the transition from purple to white/flesh in slaanesh a lot and it pretty much always looks like chitin is becoming skin, not bone. Sure--that's the look they go for, but I think they pick that look because it's easier to execute. Another possibility if you want it to feel raw would be start with red/dark red like raw bone protruding out of flesh at the place where the transitions are happening, and shade heavily with yellow and instead of a highlight layer, do a selective pink wash. If you're ambitious, use purple to paint fine blood vessels on the fresh bone parts.

Bachtere would probably have better advice about using purple as a base for bone. I think he did a zombie dragon, didn't he?

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 27, 2012

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
MALIFAUX THREAD CROSS POST!!! (Its a miniatures game, and a good one, read up on it!)

I have made all the base inserts for my wife's Guild force.

Took about 2 hours to make all those. They turned out better than I expected, especially after sprayed black.

I wanted a clean base for the Guild faction. My Outcasts are on Sewer inserts, but that poo poo got expensive fast.

I also think a warm wood tone will go really well with the factions red studio scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

JerryLee posted:

Any particular reason why you decided to use a bunch of Space Wolf bits in various locations? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing AT ALL--quite the contrary--I just am always curious what sparks the inspiration for people to kitbash like this.

The models look great to me, in case that wasn't obvious!

I won a sprue of 5 Spacewolves from the Oath trek last month, and I decided to fold the models into my chapter without having them be too, too obvious that I am mixing and matching. I like the whole trophies thing, and the wolf skulls are pretty cool. Also diluting the wolfyness over many different models will help keep it from being a whole "ugh, he is using Space Wolves as Blood Angels" issue. (That and I am using a bunch of other chapter bits in the army, especially Dark Angels cloaked marines for my Death Company. (I figure it is more solemn than red exes.)

I also intend on using specific helms for certain things. My bikers are all going to have the wolf helmet head from the Space Wolves due to their tactics, and my assault marines will all have beak helms. (I really wish it was easier to get a hold of those FW Beak helms from the Ravenguard upgrade pack with the actual beaks, but you only get one to a pack and all the bits sites are sold out.)

TL;DR: I am poor and free marines are free marines. I just don't want to turn my army into a frankenstein laughing stock of random bits.

Edit: Seriously though, I am looking for as much criticism as possible on these models. I am already working on cleaning up some mold lines and paint marks that I missed. Is the Space Wolves stuff to distinctively space wolfy?

Also, odd question, but is there any Aquilas that are visible that I missed? (as I do intend on possibly playing them as CSM as well as BA Aquillas would look out of place.)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 27, 2012

• Locked thread