Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I love you paramount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

DVDBeaver has posted their review of Grave of the Fireflies. A region 'A' release from Japan and looks incredible.

There's also a 2-pack w/ My Neighbour Totoro. I'd love to have this but after I converted the currency and found it's $132 CAD! Yikes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Up Tight! (Dassin)

Oh hells yes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

$80 bucks for TNG S1 doesn't seem to bad -- I am sure there will be a drop before christmas so ill hold off for now. But man, they did a great job!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hmm, I just found out I have $65 in Best Buy Reward Points... and TNG S1 is $59.99 at BB. Hello!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Amazon just matched Best Buy regarding the Star Trek TNG Season 1 release.

$59.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=evdaisafi-20

-----------

Vivendi Visual Entertainment is releasing a Blu-Ray of Max Fleischer's Superman on October 23rd.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sporadic posted:

Vivendi Visual Entertainment is releasing a Blu-Ray of Max Fleischer's Superman on October 23rd.

Oh hell yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

DVDBeaver has posted their review of Grave of the Fireflies. A region 'A' release from Japan and looks incredible.

There's also a 2-pack w/ My Neighbour Totoro. I'd love to have this but after I converted the currency and found it's $132 CAD! Yikes.

Welcome to Japan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

friendo55 posted:

Yes, but look what you get!

:swoon:

The two-pack is pretty ugly though and doesn't fit in with the rest of the releases, unless the promo art I've seen is just a paper cover for the two regular cases stuck together.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Goddamn, Chariots Of Fire dropped down to $12.49 on Amazon. It was previously $30.95

Amazing price for a Warner digibook.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=evdaisafi-20

And it's gone. Back up to $24.99

--------

I won't double post but...

The Mel Brooks Collection is the deal of the day at Amazon. $28.99 for nine movies (so $3.21 a movie)

It contains Blazing Saddles/High Anxiety/History of the World: Part I/Robin Hood: Men in Tights/Silent Movie/Spaceballs/To Be or Not to Be/Twelve Chairs/Young Frankenstein

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007LNBS2I

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 23, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Welcome to Japan.

I'd never looked up blu-rays from Amazon.co.jp before - why in the hell are they so pricey? I'd love to have some Miyazaki films on BD, but not for $70 a pop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They don't believe in supply and demand for those markets. Dead serious.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

While we are on the subject of Japan, has there been any word on a US Blu-Ray release of the live action Space Battleship Yamato that came out a couple years back? It was a neat adaptation of the old anime, and it was pretty well done considering how small the budget was.

I imagine I'll end up having to pull the trigger on one of the Hong Kong releases.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Red posted:

I'd never looked up blu-rays from Amazon.co.jp before - why in the hell are they so pricey? I'd love to have some Miyazaki films on BD, but not for $70 a pop.

You know how here in America, we try to market as cheap as possible to sell to as many as possible?

Japan markets to the <100 diehard fans who are willing to pay that much for the movie itself. So, it's priced high but they get enough money from only the diehard fans and just forget about all the regular customers who much even consider it at $20 or $30.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Doesn't look like there's much reason to re-buy Blade Runner. Based on the specs for the 30th Anniversary, it looks like everything is identical to the 2007 release except the HD stills gallery. Dangerous Days and the other extras share a disc with the Workprint and are probably still 480i.

Final Cut still boasts TrueHD and the others still have lossy DD despite the fact Warner switched to DTS-HD MA years ago, so they're probably the exact same transfers & encodes too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ineffiable posted:

You know how here in America, we try to market as cheap as possible to sell to as many as possible?

Japan markets to the <100 diehard fans who are willing to pay that much for the movie itself. So, it's priced high but they get enough money from only the diehard fans and just forget about all the regular customers who much even consider it at $20 or $30.

I can understand that for your average Moe anime whose unintentional fandom is pretty much as disgusting and socially reviled as bronies, but Miyazaki has a pretty wide audience. There's no shame associated with liking Ghibli movies!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

I can understand that for your average Moe anime whose unintentional fandom is pretty much as disgusting and socially reviled as bronies, but Miyazaki has a pretty wide audience. There's no shame associated with liking Ghibli movies!

Yeah, ALL DVDs, not just for movies with diehard fans, command pretty steep prices by our standards. A lot of poo poo is just expensive in Japan for no other reason than how their economy is set up.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For Brits and Europeans, Twilight Zone seasons 2, 3 and 4 are £12.99/16.49€ each on Play.com at the moment.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Blodskur posted:

For Brits and Europeans, Twilight Zone seasons 2, 3 and 4 are £12.99/16.49€ each on Play.com at the moment.

Blu-ray.com has these UK versions as region-free - is this true? I would buy these in a heartbeat. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: nevermind, they don't ship outside Europe.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 25, 2012

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

friendo55 posted:

Blu-ray.com has these UK versions as region-free - is this true? I would buy these in a heartbeat. Thanks for the heads up!

A moot point but they're region-locked here so it's unlikely Europe removed it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ha, Universal is releasing a special edition of E.T only on Amazon.

And you only have to pay 6 times the normal price to get your discs in a plastic (metal?) ship. What a bargain!!!

- edit Ok, I may have been a little hasty. The thing actually looks cool in action (but not $100+ cool)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q5AO64iDVk

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 25, 2012

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

friendo55 posted:

I can assure you that the Twilight Zone blu rays available in the UK play on region A, B and C players. Not that it matters.

edit: I just wrote this, which I think would be of interest to this thread.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 25, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Professor Clumsy posted:

I can assure you that the Twilight Zone blu rays available in the UK play on region A, B and C players. Not that it matters.

Never thought to look here earlier today, but they're relatively cheap on Amazon's UK site - plus very little to ship to Canada! I may just do this.

On amazon.co.uk it converts to approx $65 CAD (including shipping) for both seasons 2 & 3, compared to $55 each on amazon.com and $80 on amazon.ca! Just bizarre.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has there ever been any discussion or hint that there might someday be a non-lovely release of Interview with the Vampire? It's always so cheap, but I've heard really bad things about the transfer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

So is Children of Men the greatest, rarest Blu-Ray in history? Because it came to me in the mail today. There was a sale on Amazon and I ordered it -- in November of last year.

"Your order is now complete."

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So is Children of Men the greatest, rarest Blu-Ray in history? Because it came to me in the mail today. There was a sale on Amazon and I ordered it -- in November of last year.

"Your order is now complete."

No Amazon just screws up and things get dead lettered, happened to me with 2001. The rarest blu-ray of a major release is probably Zodiac.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SneakySneaks posted:

The rarest blu-ray of a major release is probably Zodiac.

Out of curiosity, what the hell is going on with Zodiac? I think it's been on my wishlist for years but it just never drops below like $25, before shooting up to "collector's" prices. I keep telling myself that it has to be rereleased in greater quantities, yet here we are.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of curiosity, what the hell is going on with Zodiac? I think it's been on my wishlist for years but it just never drops below like $25, before shooting up to "collector's" prices. I keep telling myself that it has to be rereleased in greater quantities, yet here we are.

Paramount discontinued it, the Brit version is region-free and about 20 bucks right now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

GrandpaPants posted:

:smug::arghfist: Still got my 2-disc HD-DVD

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

SneakySneaks posted:

Paramount discontinued it, the Brit version is region-free and about 20 bucks right now.

I suppose it's moot if you really can't get your hands on the US version, but the UK version is missing lossless audio and has a much lower video bitrate because all the extras are shoved on the same disc. I don't think it makes much of a difference though.

If you really want the US disc, be careful. Many Amazon.com sellers actually sell the UK version.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 27, 2012

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got Zodiac for :10bux: at the local video store, they only had one copy.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah if you're still (un)lucky enough to have a Blockbuster around, check and see if they have Zodiac. It'll come in a lovely Blockbuster amaray case but whatever. If they don't have one for sale, check and see what the used price is and just tell them you lost it if it's reasonable.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mine was brand new! I'm not sure I could buy used Blu-Ray's/DVD's unless it was quite rare.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bowmore posted:

Mine was brand new! I'm not sure I could buy used Blu-Ray's/DVD's unless it was quite rare.

I used to think like this, but then I realized buying used videos is perfectly fine and paying a considerable amount more for a new one is a huge waste of money. I've gotten some crazy rear end deals by buying used. Right here on SA I got four seasons of Futurama for like 30 bucks. And the Man Who Fell To Earth Criterion DVD for eight dollars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sporadic posted:

Ha, Universal is releasing a special edition of E.T only on Amazon.

Where do people who buy these things store them? I love having all my DVDs/Blu-Rays lined up on a shelf and all these overcomplicated cases just leave me so confused. I mean I saw one of these today:

It's a 31(!) disc set of the Harry Potter franchise, costs $499 and where the hell would you even put it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jerusalem posted:

It's a 31(!) disc set of the Harry Potter franchise, costs $499 and where the hell would you even put it?

Right next to your $1000 Scarface humidor!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've always been worried about my blu-rays drying out

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The very first review for this item is titled "FINALLY!" :stare:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CPL593H posted:

I used to think like this, but then I realized buying used videos is perfectly fine and paying a considerable amount more for a new one is a huge waste of money. I've gotten some crazy rear end deals by buying used. Right here on SA I got four seasons of Futurama for like 30 bucks. And the Man Who Fell To Earth Criterion DVD for eight dollars.

This is compounded for blu-rays by the fact that they don't scratch. I've cleaned up on Blockbuster's 4-for-$20 or whatever sales, and then I just order blu-ray cases if I'm that worried about the crummy ones Blockbuster gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have about 600 blus in my collection and more than half were $5 or less through pawn shops, Hollywood Video chain closing, Blockbuster stores closing and the Blockbuster 5-for-20 sale

• Locked thread