Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Crossposting from RN thread, since y'all might have more experience with this stuff:

I think one of my mice might have a tumour. She's got a pretty sizeable lump on her lower stomach, that has popped up basically overnight; I didn't see it last night, and it's hard to miss. On top of that, her face got freshly ripped open overnight :smith:

I'm going to ring up the vet tomorrow and get an appointment asap. I've no idea whether it's a tumor or a prolapse or what, but I know she needs to get into the vets to see what they say.

Pictures linked if anyone has experience with tumors or whatnot:
http://i.imgur.com/X6N2p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0lwW4.jpg

ETA: I'm definitely not trying to seek any vet help here - I just want to know if anyone can ID what it is, so I can know what to expect tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Frobbe posted:

yeah ill get some of that tomorrow. carefresh also looks cooler than regular shavings :)

Kaytee's granule bedding is pretty nice too. Made of the same stuff as carefresh, essentially, just formed into smaller shapes. One of my hamsters is a real digger, so she prefers that. They've also got a couple of kinds that are made with different flowers that smell really good. I use lavender, and I know there's also rose.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

McCloud24 posted:

Kaytee's granule bedding is pretty nice too. Made of the same stuff as carefresh, essentially, just formed into smaller shapes. One of my hamsters is a real digger, so she prefers that. They've also got a couple of kinds that are made with different flowers that smell really good. I use lavender, and I know there's also rose.

I'm in Denmark, so all products will have to be local equivalents. i spotted carefresh at one petstore but stuff like oxbow and whatnot i haven't seen.

i'll contact the store where this hamster was bought and talk to them. believe it or not danish consumer law covers pets just the same as camera or chair. the petstore will probably have to foot a vet bill for mite removal.

He does like hiding in a nest of hay whenever he notices me looking at him (when i'm preoccupied he acts normal, as soon as my head turns, it's off to the safe place)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tumors on rodents are the worst. But if it definitely was not there before, while tumors grow fast on rodents, I doubt they grow that fast. Are you sure it's not a fluid-filled sac or abscess of some sort?

Also, I just took a 12 minute video of the baby hamsters all in a pile, occasionally sleeping, occasionally dogpiling on each other and flinging whoever's on top off quite bodily, some yawning, all adorableness. They've more than doubled in size since they were born four days ago, and their eyes are beginning to show the slit of where the eyelids will split. They've also become quite vocal, crying out fairly often, loud enough that it woke me once even with my sound machine on.

I have muted the audio because it's mostly background noise and a loud CLUNK when I accidentally hit the camera on the cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iljZSzTP0

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Invictus posted:

Tumors on rodents are the worst. But if it definitely was not there before, while tumors grow fast on rodents, I doubt they grow that fast. Are you sure it's not a fluid-filled sac or abscess of some sort?

I dunno, I've been googling and it seems like those would come from a wound - but the fresh bites are all on her face, nothing at all around where the lump is. I'm not 100% that it wasn't there at all last night - it might have been smaller or something. I don't particularly remember looking at her rear end so wouldn't have seen it. :ohdear:

E:
Definitely a tumor, options were attempt to operate (even vet advised against this based on size and location), leave it or pts. I opted to pts.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 23, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the babies just took a poop the mom pooped out in her sleep and started chowing down on it. I assume that's safe for the babies to do that when they're five days old?

Fraction posted:

Definitely a tumor, options were attempt to operate (even vet advised against this based on size and location), leave it or pts. I opted to pts.
That's rough, sorry man. I once chose to leave it with one of my hamsters, a Chinese Dwarf. It grew to be the size of his head in less than a week, and had white and black scabbing on the outside of it. I took him in as soon as I could get an appointment and had them put him down, before that they took a cell culture and said the cancer was so aggressive it was actively growing while on the slide, they could literally watch it grow. I'll never make that mistake again, of leaving it. Poor little guy. :(

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 24, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the babies just took a poop the mom pooped out in her sleep and started chowing down on it. I assume that's safe for the babies to do that when they're five days old?

That's rough, sorry man. I once chose to leave it with one of my hamsters, a Chinese Dwarf. It grew to be the size of his head in less than a week, and had white and black scabbing on the outside of it. I took him in as soon as I could get an appointment and had them put him down, before that they took a cell culture and said the cancer was so aggressive it was actively growing while on the slide, they could literally watch it grow. I'll never make that mistake again, of leaving it. Poor little guy. :(

I dunno about hamsters, but I know guinea pigs (and rabbits?) produce two kinds of poop; one that they can eat, which is softer and full of stuff that they didn't digest the first time, and normal poop. Maybe hamsters do the same thing?

Yeah, I didn't want to leave it any longer to be honest - if it was a little lump then maybe I would have (though not so sure after your story). But it was pretty massive, and I didn't want to risk it getting any bigger and her not being able to go to the toilet. To be honest, I think pts rather than forcing the animal to endure is the more humane approach,

Lookit them babies :3: Do they have fur yet? It doesn't look like it, but I think hamster babies must grow slower than mice. Once they have fur and have opened their eyes,you'll need to start handling asap to get them sociable. I'd advise rubbing your hand into the substrate (not the nest itself though) before handling so that they smell less "wrong"; I'm not sure if it's a myth that that helps, but it can't hurt.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Fraction posted:

I dunno about hamsters, but I know guinea pigs (and rabbits?) produce two kinds of poop; one that they can eat, which is softer and full of stuff that they didn't digest the first time, and normal poop. Maybe hamsters do the same thing?

They do. I once saw one of my hamsters pull a poop out of her own butthole and eat it. And baby hamsters start branching out from mom's milk pretty quickly.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

McCloud24 posted:

They do. I once saw one of my hamsters pull a poop out of her own butthole and eat it. And baby hamsters start branching out from mom's milk pretty quickly.

Chinchillas do it too. Nothing quite like seeing them on their hind legs, pooping into their little hands and straight into mouth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my gooooood, the babies have started escaping the nest and blindly stumbling around the cage. It's overwhelming!

I am assuming I can't hold the mom until at least a few weeks after they're born, right? I like to take my hamsters out and feed them fruit from my hand, so that they eat it right there and don't try to store it away in their cage somewhere(I had one do this, it created a big blob of mold in the cage).

Any tips for getting her used to me, I only just got her before she gave birth, so she didn't really get a chance to acclimate and flattens her ears to her head and gets low to the ground whenever she sees me.

I also have some more videos if folks are interested, mostly of them nursing, one chewing on some Carefresh and another kicking mom repeatedly in the nose while she was sleeping, and unfortunately I was not able to get video of one of the black-fur babies escaping the nest and blindly crawling all the way across the cage before getting lost and we had to goad mom to go get him. I thought she'd grab him by the nape of the neck, but no, she put his entire stomach area in her mouth and hauled him in the air above her head back to the nest while he flailed around. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my gooooood, the babies have started escaping the nest and blindly stumbling around the cage. It's overwhelming!

I am assuming I can't hold the mom until at least a few weeks after they're born, right?

:3: Babies! Always need more baby photos/videos.

You should be able to handle her. If you don't want to risk stressing her out, you could just offer her treats when she's in the cage. You'll need to be able to get her out of the way when you start handling the bubs, to lessen the risk of her stressing out as she watches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I've been putting my hand in the cage cupped upside down full of food since day 1, and she's often been very curious about my hand in between grabbing sunflower seeds out of the food.

The litter so far is two absolutely huge pink ones, one medium pink one, and two small black ones. You'll see one of the colossal pinkies in the next couple videos, he's like half again the size of the black ones and super fat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The smallest of the black pups died a few minutes ago. I went to watch them since mom was eating on the other side of the cage again, and noticed one wasn't moving, it was the one who had been crawling around outside the nest, and is also the one who I saw suckling on the pad of mom's front foot. He probably got shoved out of feeding by his much larger siblings, now that I've put 2 and 2 together. :(

I guess I'll keep an eye out for the other black one, who while not as small, is still smaller than the three pink ones.

I managed to sneak in with a pair of tweezers and pick him out before mom could eat him, I'm glad I discovered him before she did.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
The pet store whisked Zed away to a back room and offered me a replacement. This wasn't ideal but i took them up on their offer. i then also got a buddy for this new hamster.

i'm calling them Ed and Edd

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 25, 2012

w8wtf
Apr 20, 2007

you wouldn't feed your sister or brother or father to another animal (but who knows, maybe you would?)

TLG James posted:

So all hedgehog species are sensitive to temps? I figured that some of them like the European ones would be used to some cold weather.

Edit: Looks like the european ones aren't domesticated. Probably not a good pet for my apartment then.

The only hedgehogs you're allowed to keep as pets in most places are the so-called "African pygmy" variety, which don't exist in the wild but are a cross between two different African species created in the United States.

Most people don't keep their entire house or apartment warm. I keep just my bedroom warm with an oil radiator space heater. Some people keep just the cage warm with a ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat. What you don't want to do is keep just one part of the cage warm with a heating pad, because...tada! hedgehogs use the entire cage.

To get the best care information, visit the International Hedgehog Association (http://www.hedgehogclub.com) and the Michigan Hedgehog Owners Group (http://www.mihog.org), as the internet is filled with outdated and dangerous information.

w8wtf
Apr 20, 2007

you wouldn't feed your sister or brother or father to another animal (but who knows, maybe you would?)

RazorBunny posted:

My husband and I were climbing Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath and rounded a corner to discover this little guy:

Thought you rodent goons might like him :)

I like him, but he's not a rodent :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a bunch of videos and hopefully will have time to convert them this weekend. The babies are 9 days old now, escape the nest a bunch, and now have started eating a lot of solid food(pellets, corn, one tried to eat a sunflower seed but decided the shell didn't taste good). Their eyes should be open by tomorrow morning, and I've been feeding mom from my hand since day 1, so she's alright with my hand being near the babies, even letting me pet and hold them for short periods while she's there.

One question though, one baby managed to get a large, round yellow seed in his pouch and doesn't seem to be able to get it out. Should I leave him and he'll hopefully get it out on his own, or should I try and do it myself? He's been trying to get it out for ten minutes now.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

w8wtf posted:

I like him, but he's not a rodent :)

I know, but it's the Rodent Thread. :)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Rip Cheekie the Hamster.

Miss you :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

One question though, one baby managed to get a large, round yellow seed in his pouch and doesn't seem to be able to get it out. Should I leave him and he'll hopefully get it out on his own, or should I try and do it myself? He's been trying to get it out for ten minutes now.

With an adult you wouldn't worry until they'd had something pouched for a fairly long time (about 24 hours I think), but a baby might be different since they're so small and might stand a risk of choking as well as getting an impacted pouch. If he really seems to be struggling you should probably look up how to deal with that for a baby. With an adult you'd just scruff them so their mouths open and fish it out, or take them to the vet, but the whole no-touchee thing would make that problematic with a baby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, the babies are now 14 days old, eyes open, fur growing in rapidly, starting to drink from the water bottle, not taking any of mom's poo poo(when she tries to pick them up they bite her, no wonder considering the way she picks them up). But a problem has arisen, they have begun to fight a lot. Is this normal for pups? They fight a real lot, and they fight dirty, biting each others crotches and ears and such. One of them has begun attacking the mom herself, often while she's sleeping/nursing, he'll run up and bite her nose or tail or pry open her lips and bite her teeth(wtf). All of them are mild-mannered when taken out of the cage except for one, whom I've named "Bitey", and I believe is the main perpetrator of the sibling violence(all three tan ones look exactly the same so I can't be sure). The black one, Chip, has often been the brunt of multiple attackers at once. Are they in any real danger, or is it just play fighting? They bite hard enough to hang onto their victim when picked up, and I tend to break it up whenever I hear them squeaking a lot(indicating fighting). They're not supposed to be fully weaned until 21 days, correct? Is it safe to separate them now, and do I need to only keep one per cage?

I'll have to do the videos some other time. There are hours of video to dig through. I wish it was easier to convert them and remove the audio, but WMM will have to do, and it's slow as molasses.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Anyone else's chinchilla shed?

Every summer since I've had Dexter he sheds his coat for a week or two and looks really pathetic while doing it. I asked his former owners about it and they said he shed every summer they had him too. I thought it was a normal chinchilla thing but Smokey doesn't shed that I've seen. They're kept at 70 degrees so it's not like he's overheating.

The chins get along really well with my new dog, a lot better than I was expecting actually. Smokey actually goes out of his way to say hi to the dog when he's near his cage. It helps a lot that the dog is a cattle dog and isn't bred for hunting in any form so he doesn't see them as things to be killed, he just checks on them every so often to make sure they're still in their cages.

anima
Apr 27, 2007
1. The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.
Chinchillas do in fact shed. Mine sheds like a devil even though he has an a/c! Usually I heard of it being a sign of too hot, otherwise "once a year" it's called priming. Usually it just goes down in lines, but Amal seems to be all over the place. He sheds real awful :( If you have fleece you need to de-shed, use a Fur Fighter Upholstery. That thing is magical and the sheets are easy to clean so you don't need to toss and buy more.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Invictus posted:

They're not supposed to be fully weaned until 21 days, correct? Is it safe to separate them now, and do I need to only keep one per cage?

The general rule of thumb with keeping adult small animals together is no blood, no foul. I'd really avoid seperating them until they're fully weaned - since they still need their mother's milk.

When you seperate, they do need to be one per cage - males as well as females. I'm not sure if the females can stay with their mum longer, as mice can be housed together but hamsters absolutely cannot afaik, so you'll want to look into that. But once the girls are away from their mum, they too will need to be housed singly until you find homes.

One of my mice is, again, unwell. I'm not having good luck lately :smith:

She got bitten up the night that Flower was pts and the girls were all combined into one cage, and I seperated her the next morning. This was, what, at least a week ago, and her face hasn't healed up at all yet. On top of that, her fur has been really grotty for that long too; she looks scruffy and gross, unlike the rest of my mice. As of today, she also has diarrhea. :sigh:

I'm not sure what's causing the fur problem, and I'm going to return to wiping her face down with a saline solution, which I'm sure she's gonna love. She's on exactly the same food and bedding as always; and if she had mites or something, I'm positive the rest of them would too, since the cages are all in the same area.

On the one hand I'm not liking how she seems to be declining at all... and on the other hand she's as chipper and friendly as always. So I don't know what to do - whether to take her to the vets and see what's causing the fur issue & new diarrhea, wait it out for a while, or what.

On the plus side at least the rest of them are fighting fit, and the two girls who are together aren't biting one another at all.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

One of the best parts about having piggies is sharing them with kids. My boyfriend is an educator and takes out two piggies into his elementary school 2 or 3 times a year and the kids love sitting around in a circle with the pigs on their laps. He's always super careful that the kids hold the guinea pig correctly.

He also has two nephews ages 2 and 4, so we've been recording the piggies eating and running around and sending the videos for them to watch. Today the pigs were extra vocal and happy. Apparently the two year old started squeaking back at the video of them 'to talk back' :3:

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
Weeeeee, finally got a cage I don't think Cherry the hamster will be able to get out of/want to escape from.

She's either opened or flat out chewed her way out of her 3 previous cages, and it suddenly dawned on me that her cages must have been too small.

After her last recapture (she always hides in the same place under the floorboards, she always gets lured out by strawberries, and is quite happy to be recaptured)

So I got her a "Zoozone 2" it's sold as an indoor rabbit cage, so I had to add some mesh to the top to stop her climbing out of that, but I got her a couple of new things to climb on, and a HUGE wheel.

She took to it really well, and hasn't even been remotely interested in getting out, and when I put the climbing frame in on Saturday, she ran about the cage squeaking and chirping, which she only does when she's super, super happy.

Only downside, I've noticed what seems to be something tumour like on the underside of one of her back legs :( Could be an abscess or something instead, I've no idea what she got up to the 24 hours she was under the floorboards (she came out covered in mud this time)

But as you can see, she's whizzing about quite happily, and she doesn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

^That's an awesome cage, I would love a human size version!

We've already had to separate one of our mice from the other two, and now today we've had to separate the two. A cage each for the mice, they're taking up a lot of space.

I can't believe how much more difficult mice are to take care of than our gerbils - the gerbils adore each other.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

One of my mice (not the ill one) died today. Mozart was fine this morning and earlier today wandering around. I looked over whilst moving some furniture around (like I do maybe once a month) and she was moving around just fine. I looked over again a couple of minutes later, and she wasn't moving and was sat on the top floor of the cage.

Strange. I got up and went to check on her.

She wasn't moving, and her sides looked like they were sucked in. She was still breathing. I scooped her up onto my hand and she only slightly moved her paws to make sure she didn't fall off.

I rang the vets, and they messed me around for five minutes asking me about her, as I haven't brought Mozart up before to them. In that time she was on my hand she was still breathing, but barely blinking and barely moving. When I put her down to grab my bag, I had blood and poop on my fingers from her bum/base of her tail. She didn't move off of her side in the box that I put her in until I scooped her back up.

She died on the way to the vet.

Whilst on the phone to the vet receptionist, I took a photo of Mozart, hoping she'd pull out of it and that I could figure out what happened. The vets didn't know exactly, they assumed a seizure or heart attack or something. Based on the blood and poo though I don't know; since her sister died of a tumor, I'm wondering if *maybe* she had a small tumor or something that burst inside? I don't know.

Photos linked so nobody *has* to see dying mouse pix.
http://i.imgur.com/IpZsOl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/61ckyl.jpg

I can assure that she was definitely alive in the photos, even though she sure as hell doesn't look it. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? This being the second mouse death in such a short time, and seemingly from an entirely different problem, it's a little worrying to say the least.

RIP Mozart :smith:

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
Poor thing :(

It makes sense that perhaps she had some sort of growth/tumour inside which may have ruptured.

Explains the blood, and then the size/location of the growth might have masked any weight loss caused by the growth/tumour.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:sigh: If it was another tumor, I'm really worried about my remaining two girls (all my girls were siblings). I guess there's no real way of knowing other than opening her up, and even that could have been inconclusive if it wasn't a tumor. I'm having really lovely luck with mice lately though, huh?

The only upside to it all was that it happened fast. She went from fine to dead in maybe ten, fifteen minutes. At least she didn't suffer I guess :unsmith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Double posting to give an update on Kinkajou, and see if anyone has any idea what's wrong with her. Her poop is back to normal but now she has a white scab (?) kind of thing, on the back of her neck. Not sure if that's from scratching or not.

You can see the white 'scab' looking stuff on the back of her neck in this picture.

I've been looking online a lot, and put it down to: bedding allergy, food allergy, or mites.

I've ruled out mites (there's no black dots anywhere on her, and none of the others have any of the symptoms that she has; if it was mites, they'd have easily gotten through the cage bars and gone onto the others, so I'm pretty sure I'd know if it was an infestation. However if anyone thinks that she DOES have mites, I will definitely get ivermectin and apply it.

So that leaves bedding or food allergy. I know with dogs and people, allergies can just happen at any time; so the fact that she's been on hay & aubiose for months doesn't mean much. Her food has remained the same, too. I'm currently housing her on a recycled paper bedding, with the same food. She's been on that for two days now, doesn't seem to have improved or gotten worse. I'm going to give it until Monday to see if I see any sign of improvement, otherwise I'll be going to the vet and see what they say.

One thing I did notice was that when I cleaned out the hay-filled house the day before yesterday, it was wet at the bottom. It didn't smell of pee, but it was very damp. So I'm not sure if maybe she's sweating a bunch in the hay (especially now that it's gotten warmer - though the mice aren't in direct sunlight), and that's causing or aggravating whatever is wrong with her. Either way, she currently has no house and is nesting in the recycled paper.

Her face still hasn't healed up, but that could just be aggravated from her scratching, which she does a lot. :sigh:

I also have two solo girls right now (Kinkajou and Tosca, who was with Mozart). I don't want to put Tosca in with Kinkajou until she's looking better, because I don't know who, of T & M, was the one who bit Kin. So right now I feel guilty that my mouse isn't doing so well, and guilty that I have two loners. Urgh.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
That really looks like mites to me. Not all mites are visible, and that patchy fur and scabby exudate looks exactly like my guinea pig who had a really intractable case of them (clicky).

Regarding passing it to others - all animals pretty much always have a small resident parasite load. The host's immune systems keeps them down to non-noticeable levels, but if they get sick for other reasons, sometimes there will be a mite population explosion. So you can have a healthy animal, who has no contact with outside animals for years, who suddenly developes a mite problem seemingly out of nowhere, and other animals in the house don't.

With my guinea pig, he was on regular biannual parasite treatment, but he developed severe arthritis and then developed mites, and for whatever reason his mite population was resistant to our normal procedures. At first the vet didn't think it was mites and was looking at environmental or autoimmune causes, but then FINALLY a skin scraping showed mites (after several negative scrapings). The vet ended up putting him on bimonthly Revolution plus ivermectin for something like 12 weeks, it was crazy how long it took to kill them off. I also had to give him frequent oatmeal shampoo baths to help remove the exudate and relieve the itching.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

alucinor posted:

That really looks like mites to me. Not all mites are visible, and that patchy fur and scabby exudate looks exactly like my guinea pig who had a really intractable case of them (clicky).

poo poo, now I feel like an idiot. I've been operating under the idea that mites = as easily transmitted as fleas. Since I have the mice all in close-together cages, in the same room as my dogs, and nobody else has been itching like she has, I assumed it wasn't that.

Should I treat her as if she does have mites then, and grab a bottle of ivermectin? If so, do you have any recommendations for any geared towards small animals? I know that you can use ivermectin intended for cattle on them, but she's so small I'd be worried about dosing too strongly.

E: Would this stuff work?
E2: Bought the above, it should be here in a couple of days. How long should I treat her for mites before taking to the vets? Or should I still take her in on Monday?

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 11, 2012

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I would still take her in, if only to get the vet to figure out the correct dose of ivermectin. It's gonna be such a tiny amount that he may want to give you a saline solution to mix with it, so it gives you a more dilute but larger volume dose.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I swear the vets are going to start knowing me by name, or as the mouse lady. Still it can't hurt to get their opinion, and to register her in case she has an emergency. When I took Mozart in I had to spend over five minutes on the phone giving details about her whilst she died, which was pretty infuriating.

I'll ring tomorrow morning and get an appointment. Thanks!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ok I need some help.

My couch suddenly exploded into dozens of tiny ticks, so I packed up Max, Dexter, and Smokey and got us a hotel room for the night while I go nuclear and bug bomb the house. I took all of the things the chinchillas chew on and put them outside, but their cages are in the house that are being bug bombed. Aside from washing all of their soft things like their hammocks and the fleece on the bottom of their cages, how can I make sure their cages (especially their wooden shelves) are free from pesticides when we move back in?

Also, can chinchillas get ticks? I read they can't get fleas due to the density of their fur, is the same true for ticks?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
If you still have time, move the cages outside too - or at least the wood shelves. Otherwise I'd personally replace the wood and rinse the cages within an inch of their lives with vinegar and water.

Ticks can attach on the ears, paws, genitals, eyelids - lots of places there isn't thick fur. So yes, that can still be a concern.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

alucinor posted:

If you still have time, move the cages outside too - or at least the wood shelves. Otherwise I'd personally replace the wood and rinse the cages within an inch of their lives with vinegar and water.

Ticks can attach on the ears, paws, genitals, eyelids - lots of places there isn't thick fur. So yes, that can still be a concern.

We thoroughly scrubbed them with disinfectant then aired them out and the chins have been in them for a few hours now with no ill effects. The chins were awfully pissed at having to stay in their carriers for longer, but it was for their own safety. It was one of those "oh poo poo" moments after I left and realized that leaving the cages in there might not have been the best plan, but then again their cages were next to the infested couch so I didn't know if any ticks had jumped over there or not. I came home from work to check on them in the middle of the day and they seemed happy (as happy as they could be after being royally pissed off for having to spend the night and part of today in their carriers).

Chins appear to be tick-free as well.

The couch is also tick-free. Me: 1, ticks: 0

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I would buy all new shelves and not risk it to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Argh, Kinkajou :qq:

I haven't gotten round to ringing the vet yet (been pretty busy), but applied the ivermectin on Monday when it arrived. Now she seems to have now developed an eye infection (milky white ish gloss over one eye) AND an upper respiratory infection. I'm assuming she's got a URI anyway, as she suddenly started making a weird sound. I took a video of it for if anyone has any ideas/experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYfHkmOuMfs.

Either way we're definitely going to the vet tomorrow.