Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

drat, I could have sworn that Tarquin said something about Elan having to go level for a while before he could be on par with Tarquin, but I guess not.

He says something similar here but it's mostly "You need to go through dramatic convention first." I think you're getting that mixed up with Xykon and Roy where Xykon offered Roy a truce while Roy levels up so they can have a proper fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Great to see some clever tactics.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Yeah, blinding and deafening the enemy party in a hall full of traps is pretty drat clever. Doubly so if Sabine gets booted from this plane, since she's been finding most of the traps.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The blinding lasts literally one round.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mystic Mongol posted:

The blinding lasts literally one round.

2d4, actually.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I suspect Sabine's banished, Zzt'dri and Nale are kinda nerfed on spells, and all the mummies nearby are destroyed. The kobold dude is probably paralyzed too.

Given how powerful Tarquin is though, it might still be an even match.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ShadowCatboy posted:

Given how powerful Tarquin is though, it might still be an even match.

Malak is also separated from the rest of the bunch. I don't think it'll hold him for long but if he's forced to take a detour, like V... then it evens the odds even further.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That assumes Malak doesn't take the scenic route back, in order to give Nale some quality time with Elan and company.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
So his Holy word is... holy?
Isn't it usually something a little more... personalized, i guess, to the deity of worship?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

shelper posted:

Isn't it usually something a little more... personalized, i guess, to the deity of worship?

Durkon.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

shelper posted:

Casting every spell in OOTS consists of saying the name of the spell. Even Quickened Expeditious Retreat, which seems a bit too long to say and still be expeditious about retreating.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Casting every spell in OOTS consists of saying the name of the spell. Even Quickened Expeditious Retreat, which seems a bit too long to say and still be expeditious about retreating.
Using special abilities too! Having to yell "Sneak Attack!" can be inconvenient sometimes!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

shelper posted:

"Beer!"

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yeah I suspect Sabine's banished, Zzt'dri and Nale are kinda nerfed on spells, and all the mummies nearby are destroyed. The kobold dude is probably paralyzed too.

Aren't mummies 8HD? So unless Durkon made it to level 18 without us noticing they're still around.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

DoctorTristan posted:

Aren't mummies 8HD? So unless Durkon made it to level 18 without us noticing they're still around.

They're almost certainly blinded and deafened though

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

RickoniX posted:

They're almost certainly blinded and deafened though

Which, sadly, doesn't really affect their capacity as trap detecting devices.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

thespaceinvader posted:

Which, sadly, doesn't really affect their capacity as trap detecting devices.

But they can no longer hear verbal commands (and Malack isn't around to give them commands at the moment)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

DoctorTristan posted:

He only needs to be 13 (which he must be to cast the spell in the first place) to paralyze them.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Sefer posted:

He only needs to be 13 (which he must be to cast the spell in the first place) to paralyze them.

Mummies are undead and can't be paralyzed

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RickoniX posted:

Mummies are undead and can't be paralyzed

Which is good. Because if they were paralyzed they'd do nothing. Deafened and mobile, however, lets them walk blindly into any number of traps up ahead, and there's nothing Nale can do to stop them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

jng2058 posted:

Which is good. Because if they were paralyzed they'd do nothing. Deafened and mobile, however, lets them walk blindly into any number of traps up ahead, and there's nothing Nale can do to stop them.

He wouldn't want to stop them. I'd assume part of the plan here with the Holy is that with their retreat from behind cut off by the door and being deafened and possibly blind, the Linear Guild will stumble haphazardly forward and out of the smoke effect, possibly hitting more traps. Having the mummies at least gives them a thin meat shield to slow down the Order while they shrug off the Holy Word effects as well as setting off any traps they might've otherwise blundered into.

Also it's been a while, if Holy Word deafens characters of equal level, does it deafen characters of "equal or higher" level?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

Also it's been a while, if Holy Word deafens characters of equal level, does it deafen characters of "equal or higher" level?

The d20 SRD posted:

Creatures whose HD exceed your caster level are unaffected by holy word.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm

Nope. It affects evil outsiders (via banishment) but is otherwise completely ineffective against opponents who have more HD than your caster level.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess that means Tarquin might just be reacting in a "Urgh, what a noise" way but he'll shrug it off and suffer no effects. Anything else will narrow down his level pretty fast.

Here's hoping the Order has another move lined up because this doesn't look like it'll be enough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's nice to see reminders that Roy is a fighter with 18 int.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Dolash posted:

Here's hoping the Order has another move lined up because this doesn't look like it'll be enough.

Actually, if I'm Roy, I've got Belkar and Elan trying to take out Malack while he's separated from the rest of the Linear Guild, while I'm extracting Durkon. "Thog" is way too tough to take on with even just Zz'ditri and Nale backing him up, so it's better to whittle away at their team by (hopefully) banishing Sabine and taking out Malack now, then getting out when all you've expended is a single spell, a smokestick , and whatever hp and spells it takes Elan and Belkar to take out Malack.

On a only vaguely related note, let me say that this really feels like a D&D session where one player couldn't make the game and got turned into the "plot bitch" while he (she?) is away.

DM: "Okay, so you've cleared the traps up the stairway, so let's call it for tonight. Everyone going to be here next week?"

V: "Well, actually..."

DM: "Goddammit, you keep missing sessions! Fine, we'll play without you, but you're definitely going to be the plot bitch!"

V: "Aw, man..."

NEXT WEEK:

DM: "So you're looking at the room full of mummified corpses when suddenly, Vaarsuvius looks nauseous and flees the room."

Roy: "I just have a feeling he'll get over it in time. We keep searching the room."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dolash posted:

I guess that means Tarquin might just be reacting in a "Urgh, what a noise" way but he'll shrug it off and suffer no effects. Anything else will narrow down his level pretty fast.

Roy isn't going to rely on this being enough. He said the ambush is an attempt to turn the tables and learn as much about them as they can, so he's already anticipating that this might not be enough.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

It's nice to see reminders that Roy is a fighter with 18 int.

So what's his dump stat? Charisma?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So what's his dump stat? Charisma?

Based on how he died, I am going to say wisdom.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Seldom Posts posted:

Based on how he died, I am going to say wisdom.

Not that. I'm not gonna look for it but back in the Miko arc, she said he had a decent Wisdom score and could have been a Cleric.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Not that. I'm not gonna look for it but back in the Miko arc, she said he had a decent Wisdom score and could have been a Cleric.

Besides, an unwise character wouldn't have figured out how to deal with such an incompatible group of nincompoops like the Order of the Stick.

EDIT: Maybe Roy's player only rolled 16+ stats?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 27, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's probably Dexterity, given that he goes around in plate armor and doesn't ever seem to bust out a ranged attack.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cabbit posted:

It's probably Dexterity, given that he goes around in plate armor and doesn't ever seem to bust out a ranged attack.

And never, ever, makes a Reflex save. Yeah, he dumped Dex.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Although given what we've seen of him, all his other stats rolled ridiculously high.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Based on what I've seen, Roy has outstanding INT and STR, good WIS, above average CON and CHA, and horrible DEX.

I'd put them in exactly that order, too. His high STR may be more a function of magic items than innate, though. Without magic, his WIS could be higher than his STR.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Somebody did a write-up on the GITP forums (I'm so sorry for linking to the GITP forums) where they figured his DEX and maybe CON were lowish:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912

Still, he likely has the best stats out of the whole group.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Surprised we don't really see him having much intellectual conversation with V, or translating V for the dumber members.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Well Roy is kind of a jerk, and the only one who really needs to understand V is the team leader: himself.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Actually, in Origin of the PCs, something similar happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

shelper posted:

It's a pun dude.