Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While I was at GW one of the other people were were complaining about how their Space Wolves didn't have any way to deal with flyers, and I mentioned 'why not just get a defense line with a quad gun?". He was actually taken aback by that because he had no idea you could actually just buy terrain.

Yea, its a 100 points, but its better than letting 3 doom scythes have their way with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Incubi can do a lot against Terminators (WS5, I5), especially a buffed-up Archon (WS7, I7, 4 attacks).
Do be sure to read the Dark Eldar FAQ: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2420311a_Dark_Eldar_6th_Ed_V1.pdf
Incubi weapons don't cut through Terminator Armour, just so you know, they're AP3 now. Though the Klaivex can.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Shosuro posted:

I think that it's trying to say "only works against things with AV, and not things like infantry" rather than "only works on things with wheels". Until this edition fortifications weren't really a part of the game, so it's understandable that wording things like that would fall through the cracks.
If you want to have a fun game with friends, figure out ahead of time what is fair an house rule it. If you want to play supermegaofficial rules exactly as written, yes, all of that only works against actual vehicles until they realize what is almost certainly an oversight and FAQ it.

Good points, but I think part of the fun is trying to get someone who paid £70 on something to agree to houserules that weaken it :)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

twistedmentat posted:

While I was at GW one of the other people were were complaining about how their Space Wolves didn't have any way to deal with flyers, and I mentioned 'why not just get a defense line with a quad gun?". He was actually taken aback by that because he had no idea you could actually just buy terrain.

Yea, its a 100 points, but its better than letting 3 doom scythes have their way with you.

Or ally in a Hydra/Stormtalon/raven (I mix them up). Or have your Rune Priest swat it out of the air. Or just keep firing Long Fangs at it (because when they finally hit, it's gonna burn.)

With their propensity for Long Fangs and Razorbacks, I can't see any reason why Space Wolves struggle with fliers at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shosuro posted:

I think that it's trying to say "only works against things with AV, and not things like infantry" rather than "only works on things with wheels". Until this edition fortifications weren't really a part of the game, so it's understandable that wording things like that would fall through the cracks.
If you want to have a fun game with friends, figure out ahead of time what is fair an house rule it. If you want to play supermegaofficial rules exactly as written, yes, all of that only works against actual vehicles until they realize what is almost certainly an oversight and FAQ it.

Ehhhh, there were buildings with AV values in 5th edition, people just didn't use them because they were clunky and irritating. I'm willing to bet this is one of those FAQ questions that will attract the attention of the "guy at GW who makes all his decisions based on weird, esoteric fluff only he knows about" and haywires won't work on buildings. You know the guy, he wrote the ally chart.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

twistedmentat posted:

I've managed to play games with most of my armies since i moved to Toronto, I just don't know if I want to take Eldar, Guard or Tau next week. Probably guard, but I did realize that the full range of rapid fire weapons makes fire warriors deadly. Oh getting close? I'll just move and still shoot you while your out of charge range.

Where in Toronto are you? Since you don't have PM's, fire me an email at the_modern_knight at hotmail dot com, and you can show me the horrors of what this edition has done to my kan wall.

Fix posted:

That certainly explains all these loving colors.

Because I must be high as gently caress. :2bong:

The final effect is pretty cool! So what all you got going in this setup?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So if radicals in Ordo Malleus use Daemonhosts, and radicals in Ordo Xenos use Jokaero, what do the radicals in Ordo Hereticus use?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Arbite posted:

So if radicals in Ordo Malleus use Daemonhosts, and radicals in Ordo Xenos use Jokaero, what do the radicals in Ordo Hereticus use?

Free and open discussion.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They incite the various Cults and factions within the Imperium into action, and then try to direct them into one another, either with the intent of either making enemies of the Imperium kill each other or creating strength through adversity, rather than just destroying them like a puritan might.

You could imagine the Rogue Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor ends up funding his own Cults and rogue groups, just to create opposition for Imperial forces so they're able to better withstand true threats, justifing it even as the puritan Inquisition eventually burns them.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

theironjef posted:

You know the guy, he wrote the ally chart.

Matt Ward spotted

Ok, with the urge to get back into 40k.. I'm at that point were I need to pick a project to start on.

Things that will be a bonus:

- small model count, lack of time painting and I don't want to commit to a horde army if I can avoid it

- minimal finecast models in the army's range (not too fussed on characters, but steadfastly avoiding any armies that have units made up of finecast minis)

I need a small model count due to distinct lack of painting time, me and Mrs Enri have just had our second child so any of you 'dad' wargamers out there can sympathise with how badly that eats into your free time. minimal finecast because.. well.. without wanting to stir up lol failcast discussions, I just haven't had any good experiences with it plus the clean up required on them is atrocious.

At the moment I know I'm just going to end up going down the space marines route. Hrmpf.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Arbite posted:

Psychic powers. Suffer not the witch to live (unless you're the witch).

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
From what little I remember of Eisenhorn.

There's a lot of inter-ordo, inter-creed, and inter-faction strife.

But everyone, everyone thinks the Ordo Hereticus are dicks.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Because I'm a crossposting whore who wants people to mock his work;

Last month I oathed to finish off my death cult assassin squad, but got too swamped with work. Finally finished them off today though so incoming pic swarm! They were kind of a play project since I wanted to try my Malal marines scheme on various models and play with a couple of effects. My first time doing power weapons and I'm fairly happy with the result for most of them. Not so much the green glowing eyes I tried. Close ups to see all the mistakes I made (though they look good at playing level).

Crusaders:

Death Cult Assassins:

And the group shot including my counts as Banisher w/ Eviscerator:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I am slowly working on my NOVA list... I would like some opinions.

List A:
code:
	Grey Knights:	2000			

Inquisitor	  25		10 GK Terminators	400
	 ++ TDA           40	         ++ 2 Psycannon	        50
	 ++ Psycannon	  15		 ++ Psybolt Ammo	20
	 ++ Divination	  30			
			         	10 GK Terminators	400
	Inquisitor	  25		 ++ 2 Psycannon	        50
	 ++ TDA           40	         ++ Psybolt Ammo	20
	 ++ Psycannon	  15			
	 ++ Divination	  30		5 GK Interceptros	130
		        		 ++ 1 Psycannon         10	
	10 GK Terminators 400		 ++ 1 Warding Stave     25	
	 ++ 2 Psycannon	  50			
	 ++ Psybolt Ammo  20		GK Stormraven	205

List A has:
~34 Psycannon shots (24 with Prescience) averaging 28 hits a turn,
and
48 S5 Stormbolter shots (32 with Prescience) averaging 39.111 hits a turn
and
A Meh Stormraven. It's Meh since I would rather have bloodstrike even in the age of psykers. Only crazy psykers with good Inv saves make the mindstrike look better.

List B:
code:
        Grey Knights:                           Blood Angels:
	Primary Detachment	1520		Allied Detachment	480

Inquisitor	        25		Librarian	        100
	 ++ TDA	                40	         ++ Jump Pack     	25
	 ++ Psycannon	        15		 ++ Shield/Lance 	0
	 ++ Divination	        30		 ++ Plasma Pistol	15

10 GK Terminators	400		
	  ++ 2 Psycannon   	50		5 Assault Marines	100
	  ++ Psybolt Ammo	20		 ++ 2 Plasma Pistol  	30
		         			 ++ 1 Melta Gun	        10
	10 GK Terminators	400				
	  ++ 2 Psycannon	50		BA Stormraven	        200
          ++ Psybolt Ammo	20				

10 GK Terminators	400				
	  ++ 2 Psycannon	50		    Total : 2000		
	  ++ Psybolt Ammo	20
List B has:
28 Pycannon Shots (12 with Prescience) averaging 21.333 hits a turn,
and
48 S5 Stormbolter shots (16 with Prescience) averaging 35.555 hits a turn
and
A much better Blood Angel Stormraven. Blood strike missiles make for better anti flyer weapons since I can shoot multiple fliers down in one shooting phase with PotMS and mixing Multimelta + Assaultcannon + 2 Missiles in any combination of 3/1 depending on the target.
and
A utility suicide unit. Arrives on Turn Two and lands where I want (3+ re-rolled and 1d6 scatter thanks to Descent of Angels) with a 12" killzone. The Librarian will most likely drop those powers for a roll on Divination. If I like what I got I can roll again and take Prescience. Or, if I don't like the first roll, then I take Prescience and roll on Telepathy for Psychic Shriek.
With Prescience the unit has 3.555 special (assault)weapon hits (plasma/melta).

So my question to the three people who bothered to read all that, which list do you think is better?
List A has ~7 more Psycannon hits and ~4 more S5 hits a turn, but List B has more Psyker utility, positioning and eventually gets 3-4 plasma/melta hits (probably only once though :commissar:).

My only play testing is maybe 3 games VS MSP and his Necrons which has not led to much confidence.

My old list was 30 GKT (no Psybolt Ammo) and two TDA Psycannon Inquisitors (only one Prescience) and two Dreadknights with teleporter and greatsword. Now I'm starting to think I don't need two assault-only units. Though they do soak up a lot of attention when I shunt them turn one in your face.

I don't know what to do :psyduck:

Thanks for any opinions.

Edit: Grammar

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 27, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

twistedmentat posted:

One Quad-Gun does not suffice for anti-air. It is easily killable, and then you have no anti-air.

Shockeh posted:

Or ally in a Hydra/Stormtalon/raven (I mix them up). Or have your Rune Priest swat it out of the air. Or just keep firing Long Fangs at it (because when they finally hit, it's gonna burn.)

With their propensity for Long Fangs and Razorbacks, I can't see any reason why Space Wolves struggle with fliers at all.

Allying in one flyer or Hydra battery is not going to cut it when most flyer armies can easily field three. I guess if you go IG you can get the ADL + Quad-Gun, a Vendetta, and Hydras or FW flyer in Heavy, and that would likely be enough anti-air. I'd recommend a FW flyer over Hydras because they'll be more useful vs. ground targets.

Long Fangs can only reliably hit zooming flyers when they are blessed with Prescience. When you start investing such a large portion of your army to deal with one type of threat, you won't be able to deal with the other aspects of your opponent's army very well. I'm uh... not really sure how a Rune Priest is supposed to affect a flyer? D6 living lightning shots aren't going to do jack. Razorbacks? Are you kidding me?

Space Wolves are very weak to flyers and have none of their own. This is an intentional nerf because they were the best Space Marines in 5th edition.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 27, 2012

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Phyresis posted:

Long Fangs can only reliably hit zooming flyers when they are blessed with Prescience. When you start investing such a large portion of your army to deal with one type of threat, you won't be able to deal with the other aspects of your opponent's army very well.

I think we'll just have to accept we're at differing views Phyresis, I acknowledge they're weaker to fliers than most, but certainly not the 'utterly screwed' the original post I replied to seemed to imply.

For example, tagging Long Fangs (even with Prescience) doesn't exactly mean they're devoted to AA, they're still probably the best Heavy Weapons squad point-for-point in the game, hands down.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So im trying to figure out what to set this land raider kit up as, redeemer or crusader.

My army list is very vanilla (tac squads with missile launchers and flamers, terminators with assault cannons, assaults with chainswords and bolt pistols, vanilla land raiders, predator with autocannon and heavy bolters, two hurricane bolter/multimelta/assault cannon stormravens and an aobr dreadnought), but im looking to add an assault terminator squad at some point.

I don't want to use magnets because, well, i've had issues with them lately, and im just wondering what folks would suggest.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mephiston posted:

So im trying to figure out what to set this land raider kit up as, redeemer or crusader.

My army list is very vanilla (tac squads with missile launchers and flamers, terminators with assault cannons, assaults with chainswords and bolt pistols, vanilla land raiders, predator with autocannon and heavy bolters, two hurricane bolter/multimelta/assault cannon stormravens and an aobr dreadnought), but im looking to add an assault terminator squad at some point.

I don't want to use magnets because, well, i've had issues with them lately, and im just wondering what folks would suggest.

it's a coinflip really... they're both better than the regular landraider. Crusader probably wins in a pinch but go with your heart/dreams.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

enri posted:

Matt Ward spotted

Ok, with the urge to get back into 40k.. I'm at that point were I need to pick a project to start on.

Things that will be a bonus:

- small model count, lack of time painting and I don't want to commit to a horde army if I can avoid it

- minimal finecast models in the army's range (not too fussed on characters, but steadfastly avoiding any armies that have units made up of finecast minis)

I need a small model count due to distinct lack of painting time, me and Mrs Enri have just had our second child so any of you 'dad' wargamers out there can sympathise with how badly that eats into your free time. minimal finecast because.. well.. without wanting to stir up lol failcast discussions, I just haven't had any good experiences with it plus the clean up required on them is atrocious.

At the moment I know I'm just going to end up going down the space marines route. Hrmpf.

Deathwing is an obvious choice, with new DW Terminators in the soon-to-be-released starter box and a new DA book next year (probably). All Terminator GK and SW armies are also doable, and keep the model count down. Another option would be Orks. Fully kitted Warboss, Big Mek, Mega Nobz and a Deff Dread for Troops. I think they just turned Mega Nobz Finecast though, so that might be an issue unless you can hunt down the metals. Death Guard also tend to be low model count armies, and again are due for a new book in October-ish.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Shockeh posted:

I think we'll just have to accept we're at differing views Phyresis, I acknowledge they're weaker to fliers than most, but certainly not the 'utterly screwed' the original post I replied to seemed to imply.

For example, tagging Long Fangs (even with Prescience) doesn't exactly mean they're devoted to AA, they're still probably the best Heavy Weapons squad point-for-point in the game, hands down.

They certainly aren't screwed. I forgot about rifleman dreads in Elites as well, and those help a lot. The problem is more that they have to shoot a lot of their fire support at the flyers to down them. Unfortunately, the most efficient way of dealing with flyers is with other flyers and they suffer a loss of efficiency there. It's to make up for the fact that they are efficient everywhere else. Honestly, I think it's just enough of a nerf to bring them in line with BA and GK. I can see how a lot of SW players would be annoyed at having to ally IG just to deal with one thing, though.

I haven't really touched double-FOC 2000 point lists but I'm working on a Space Wolves one with IG allies right now. I think they might be able to fit everything they want into the list, including a buttload of Long Fangs.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 27, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cataphract posted:

it's a coinflip really... they're both better than the regular landraider. Crusader probably wins in a pinch but go with your heart/dreams.

I'd say redeemer now that you're snapfiring the crusader's hurricane bolters. You might be able to catch some marines with the flamestorm cannon if they're not paying attention.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Edit: welp ^^^^

Cataphract posted:

you reckon? id have thought a redeemer would be better for assaulting stuff over a bigger variety of situations(flamestorm cannons at s6 ap3 vs 3 T-L bolters). Now im even more torn between the two :\

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Weirdly, I keep looking at SW/IG too, because I'd like to use the IG as 'Native Fenrisian Thralls' and have a Space Wolves army with a squadron of three 'proper' Leman Russ, rather than Executioners. You can even have Primaris Psyker as a 'Fenrisian Shaman'.

1. Putting 3 Battle Cannons into Space Wolves is loving scary.
2. It makes the possibility of using the Russ squadron as a cover wall, which lets the Wolves themselves get into range.
3. LEMAN RUSS!!! :dota101:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mephiston posted:

Edit: welp ^^^^

you reckon? id have thought a redeemer would be better for assaulting stuff over a bigger variety of situations(flamestorm cannons at s6 ap3 vs 3 T-L bolters). Now im even more torn between the two :\

I did like the crusader back when defensive weapons existed, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Building two barges at the same time is a lot quicker than building one at a time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Building two barges at the same time is a lot quicker than building one at a time.

I have two barges. Explain how and why.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deviant posted:

I have two barges. Explain how and why.

It takes just about as much time as building one, which is about interminable, and two times infinity is infinity.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

It takes just about as much time as building one, which is about interminable, and two times infinity is infinity.

The kit goes together well but I think I'd go crazy if I ever had to do a second one. All of the Necron vehicle kits are so complex that they're a pain to put together.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ghetto wormhole posted:

The kit goes together well but I think I'd go crazy if I ever had to do a second one. All of the Necron vehicle kits are so complex that they're a pain to put together.

not the nightscythe. That thing is a dream to assemble. it has like 6 parts!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

thiswayliesmadness posted:

The final effect is pretty cool! So what all you got going in this setup?

A 9-volt battery concealed in the cap runs a 40mm pc cooling fan in the top, to which i've attached a couple of magnets. They turn a spinner cut from sprue and mounted to a washer. The spinner agitates the cloud of powdered mica and food coloring, under-lit by an LED taplight.

Fix fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 27, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

[picture of a dude with a chainsaw and a cowboy hat]
"As can be seen, Obiwan SherlcokClousseau is equipped for anything -but then he has to be - he's an inquisitor."

This is amazing.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 27, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cataphract posted:

not the nightscythe. That thing is a dream to assemble. it has like 6 parts!

Body top and bottom, four more for wing segments, cover, ten gubbins, the pilot and the guns. Even easier than a rhino.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I went for a Reedemer for my Assault Terminators because it has two flamers that melt Space Marines. It does a good job at clearing a path while the Terminators rush out of the front into their intended target.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Lungboy posted:

Deathwing is an obvious choice, with new DW Terminators in the soon-to-be-released starter box and a new DA book next year (probably). All Terminator GK and SW armies are also doable, and keep the model count down. Another option would be Orks. Fully kitted Warboss, Big Mek, Mega Nobz and a Deff Dread for Troops. I think they just turned Mega Nobz Finecast though, so that might be an issue unless you can hunt down the metals. Death Guard also tend to be low model count armies, and again are due for a new book in October-ish.

Yea I thought about deathwing, though DA were my army of choice prior to giving up the 40k habit and I sold them all off :( still, DW have their merits.. Terminators are sexy as hell, lovely colour scheme too and easy to paint up.

GK all termi list is definitely appealing for the same reasons as DW :)

Thanks for the input, given me some ideas to chew over!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I suspect Deathwing will get changed significantly in the new Dark Angels Codex. If nothing else, storm shields are now 25 points base and Deathwing Terminators will have to pay the 5 point premium for th/ss, just like Blood Angels do.

Loganwing is pretty baller imo. The new power weapon choices give Wolf Guard Terminators a lot of efficient options and padding out your units with power armored guys is great. Especially since they can all take combi-weapons. 23 points for a space marine with 2 attacks and a combi-plasma is a good deal.

GK Terminators are probably the weakest all-terminator army because they have no storm shields and lack the fire support that DA and SW have access to. Psycannons are good but can only do so much. They're really bland, as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arbite posted:

A duck!

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Fuegan posted:

I went for a Reedemer for my Assault Terminators because it has two flamers that melt Space Marines. It does a good job at clearing a path while the Terminators rush out of the front into their intended target.

Redeemers are worse than crusaders, specially now that you can't tank shock after disembarking. On the other hand crusaders now enjoy from the increased charge range meaning their threat bubble is better (can risk not straying as close to the enemy and their melta weapons) and can fire all their weapons almost all the time (snapshot the TL bolters).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Congratulations on the new baby.

I'd go with Death Guard. As mentioned they are low model count, there are plastic Nurgle daemons out next month to use as allies (Epidemius' tally works for both armies), the new CSM codex is rumoured to allow you to field awesome sounding plague zombies, and you can use the horror of nappies as inspiration for painting. :)

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
EDIT: I AM DUMB AND CANNOT DO MATH OR READ RULES CORRECTLY. IGNORE ME.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Well, that random HWS sitting there is illegal. Did you think you could just buy those as Troop choices? That would be pretty cool. A 5-man PBS in a Chimera is worthless. Max squad or don't bother. I have no idea where your 2000 points went, tbqh. I guess the two basilisks, russ, and bw. Oh and your Mek's KFF doesn't extend to your IG vehicles so it's effectively worthless in a mech list.

• Locked thread