Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

I'm pretty addicted to maxi-minis, with a couple porcelain anemone crabs, that would be ok. Not sure what to feed them AND keep up the water quality though. I'm having a hell of a time with it in my tank.

Hmmm yeah I'd be worried about that a bit. I target feed the 40br anyway, so it wouldn't be anything new. I'll have a small skimmer on it though, probably the aquaticlife mini 115. And yes, maxis are totally addicting, got 7 of them in the 40 haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

No fish, too shallow. Probably SPS, Maxi-minos and sexy shrimps. Gunna have 36w of led over it. The problem is, since it's going on the kitchen counter I have nowhere to run a sump for it, so I'll be using an AC70 as a fuge with probably 1 or 2 k-nanos for flow.

What have I done, up to 3 tanks at home and one at work now :\ Anyone wanna buy a fresh water tank?

I love those twelve longs and sexy shrimp :) set it up and take some pictures. I'm considering the 7.5 cube for freshwater shrimp myself. And what kind of fresh tank you got? I have a fish hoarding problem

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Hmmm yeah I'd be worried about that a bit. I target feed the 40br anyway, so it wouldn't be anything new. I'll have a small skimmer on it though, probably the aquaticlife mini 115. And yes, maxis are totally addicting, got 7 of them in the 40 haha.

I bought one of those and had serious footprint issues with it in my custom 20gal (back chamber issue) so right now I'm evaluating a hydor nano skimmer (supposedly 3.5" on a side square) which may be more to my needs.

I actually have a CPR pellet reactor (bought when they were in limited production "beta", not sure what status they are at now) running in it, but since it's missing the other half of the export process (the skimmer) it's obviously not doing any real good running.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 12, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trilineatus posted:

I love those twelve longs and sexy shrimp :) set it up and take some pictures. I'm considering the 7.5 cube for freshwater shrimp myself. And what kind of fresh tank you got? I have a fish hoarding problem

Ha, I have a 16gal planted tank. An IM Nuvo 16 gal. Lots of cories and coral platys, one pleco, one shrimp.

And Arioch, what's wrong with the mini 115, too tall? I really love them, I had one in my 24 and I swear it worked better than my NAC 3.5 is working in my 40.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

And Arioch, what's wrong with the mini 115, too tall? I really love them, I had one in my 24 and I swear it worked better than my NAC 3.5 is working in my 40.

Footprint problem, it doesn't fit in my back chambers.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

Footprint problem, it doesn't fit in my back chambers.

Derp, I read it twice, and still derp'd. Well, want to sell it :D

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Derp, I read it twice, and still derp'd. Well, want to sell it :D

Already did!

Then the tank went without anything but water changes for a few months while I halfheartedly cast about for alternatives. Now I'm going to try the new skimmer when it gets here next week.

Note for the future: consider what specific pieces of equipment you actually want to use before designing the chambers in a custom AIO tank.

e: speaking of equipment, right now I'm running a fixture with 4xT5s over this tank, I'm probably going to go with buying a used AI Sol and getting the new AI EXT mounts. With that change, I'll no longer be running anything on any other lighting than LED. All LED, all the time, baby! Even my fuge is lit with a 7xCREE CW Par38.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 12, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesomeeee! I just built another LED array for the new 12gal, I have no sump light because I'm lazy. And the chaeto in there seems to grow in the dark, along with all the stupid pineapple sponges all over it.

And that being said (laziness), crossposting this from my thread on NanoReef!

Lazy Sanchez posted:

Here's what I've come up with:

The chamber on the right will be sitting next to the wall with an outlet, so that's where everything will plug in. The AIO-ish chamber is 4 inches wide and has two baffles (as seen above). I haven't really thought about anything else such as lighting because I'm not that far! Just kidding, I just photoshopped a light fixture.

I plan on keeping maxi-minis and sexy scrimps along with some SPS. No lps/softies for the mean time. I will have 48w of LED over the tank (If that's how many LEDs I have left, it might be 42w, who knows).

Here's the light mockup: It's 2" x 24" and I'll be running it fanless because 16 LEDs aren't gunna fry this giant heatsink, and heatinkUSA makes quality stuff.

As far as equipment goes, I'll probably use a maxi-1200 as the return so I can get some flow goin on that side, and perhaps a K-nano or two on the other side to even out the flow. Skimmer will be a AquaticLife Mini 115 and I'll probably make some kind of media basket so I can get my chaeto on, because chaeto is awesome.

And the light:

Look at that craftsmanship! (No really, thanks heatsinkusa.com, you guys make a great product)

So it turns out I had more LEDs than I thought I did, thanks to Ray sending extras. I was going to add 8 more LEDs, but thought 72 watts would be kinda overkill over this little 12, also the driver I have only runs 12-12, so 24 is a no go so it will stay at 48 watts.

Here's the layout with the stars glued down.

I'll probably wire them later this week after the epoxy sets.

Here's the tank situation, the lights will be hung from the cabinet thingy above it. This kitchen really sucks and is about 1/2 the size it should be based on the sq footage of the rest of the apartment. :argh: architects. Oh, and the bag inside the tank, that's a Maxi 900 return :)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 17, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
IIRC, error on the side of slightly wider than 4" back chambers! The skimmer needs the "breathing room" to go in easily.

e: on second thought, 4" should be "ok" for comfort and flow, the aquaticlife mini 115 has two mandatory clips that hold together the two lengthwise halves of the skimmer body, which makes the footprint in actuality somewhat wider than the stated 3"x3" (more if you use the hanging clip rather than the suction cups).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 18, 2012

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Totally forgot SA had a thread on saltwater stuff. Awesome! I used to have a 100 gallon reef a few years ago that I think I posted about here at some point.

I didn't know much about the hobby back then (still learning) and kind of just jumped into things. Surprisingly, things worked out relatively okay. A bad bubble/hair algae outbreak, two tank moves and a divorce basically ended that period of reefing.

Fast forward to now. I recently setup a 12 gallon Aquapod that had been sitting in my office in a really lovely state. Things are going pretty well but I had this question that was basically ignored on reef central so I shall repost here:

This is probably a dumb question but here goes. I have a 12 gallon Aquapod for which I originally bought the 15K Kessil a150. I found that this was too blue for my tastes so I exchanged it for the Kessil 10K. I like the 10K better, but now after seeing how zoanthids (which I have a particular love of) really shine with some blue hues, I feel like the 10K is not blue enough.

So my question is, how do I supplement the Kessil with some blue? I see people talking about doing that here but I"m not sure how it would work. My kessil currently hangs about 6 inches about the center of the tank. If I buy an inexpensive blue T5 fixture or something similiar, and place it under the Kessil, won't I have a huge shadow in the tank?

Can someone tell me how to do this? Basically I just want to add a little blue to my Kessil and I'm confused about how it would actually work.

Here is a picture for reference (this was when I still had the 15K).

ALSO,

Can someone please tell me how to increase the flow going through my back chambers? I bought a media basket for the first chamber and have blocked the two lower intake grates so it skims better off of the surface but the water just doesn't seem like its moving well through the back chambers. A big problem seems to be that the water level between the tank and the chambers is not much different so there is not a good waterfall effect going on. I've ordered a MaxiJet 900 which is yet to arrive, will this help the water flow out of those chambers quicker? Basically the water kind of looks like its sitting around back in those chambers, its obviously moving but I feel like there should be more flow.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I think you're either stuck with the light you've got or you're going to have to DIY. Anything under it will shadow the main light, so any actinics will need to be at the same height as the main light. I think the easiest way to do that would be to DIY add 420nm LEDs around the circumference of the main light.

To increase flow in the back chambers, you just need to increase flow from the back to the front. However, my AP24 was always 'leaking' from the slats so you just need to play with the configuration of your block-off plates until you get a nice height difference. My maxijet utility 900 was adequate but still only about 240gph.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

optikalus posted:

I think you're either stuck with the light you've got or you're going to have to DIY. Anything under it will shadow the main light, so any actinics will need to be at the same height as the main light. I think the easiest way to do that would be to DIY add 420nm LEDs around the circumference of the main light.

To increase flow in the back chambers, you just need to increase flow from the back to the front. However, my AP24 was always 'leaking' from the slats so you just need to play with the configuration of your block-off plates until you get a nice height difference. My maxijet utility 900 was adequate but still only about 240gph.

You could get a stunner strip? Dunno how you'd mount it, but they're pretty cool. it hink Ecoxotic makes them. As for the flow, I too had an AP24 and I took a fluval 1 filter/pump thingy, took of the filter part so it was just a tiny powerhead and chucked it in the back chamber to keep the water moving around in there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Any T5 retro kit with individualized reflectors you can angle you can pretty much hang them right behind your light fixture, 1-2 tubes of an actinic should supplement nicely.

Or go with LEDs, like the single-width ones from rapidled.com

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

You could get a stunner strip? Dunno how you'd mount it, but they're pretty cool. it hink Ecoxotic makes them. As for the flow, I too had an AP24 and I took a fluval 1 filter/pump thingy, took of the filter part so it was just a tiny powerhead and chucked it in the back chamber to keep the water moving around in there.

Okay those stunner strips might work. I'm thinking maybe I can cut a piece of thin acrylic to mount it on, then make legs for the mount so it can sit on top of the tank, towards the front. I'd have to angle it to face down and back but maybe it'd work?

I'd love to hang something at the Kessil's height but I'm not sure how that would work.

Another idea that came to me is, what if I get one of the Par38 bulbs and just use a simple desk lamp next to the aquarium for power? They aren't too expensive but would using the two different types of light gently caress with the corals? Like if I had the 10K Kessil on for most of the day and then switched to the Par38 bulb for a few hours at night, would that work?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Got a package from FedEx today.

Can't wait to get it finished

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman 21 posted:

Got a package from FedEx today.

Can't wait to get it finished

That will never work. You need Wires.

Seriously though. What colors did you get?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Jonny Nox posted:

That will never work. You need Wires.

Seriously though. What colors did you get?

24 royal blue and 24 4500k white. I was going to start mixing colors but i wanted to keep it simple for my first build. This should provide plenty usable light for the corals that i plan on adding to the tank.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I went with the 6500K and have them cranked way down to match the blues better (I'm guessing this is an Aquastyle kit) 4500K should work a lot better.

Toss up a picture of it mounted up when you get to that point. Mine's mounted stupid, but I'm interested in how others approach it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Jonny Nox posted:

I went with the 6500K and have them cranked way down to match the blues better (I'm guessing this is an Aquastyle kit) 4500K should work a lot better.

Toss up a picture of it mounted up when you get to that point. Mine's mounted stupid, but I'm interested in how others approach it.

Ya it's the 48 led aquastyle kit. I still haven't decided how to mount the drat thing, but I'll be sure to post final pictures when it's complete

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You are awesome. I did the same thing :D

Where'd you get the sink from?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Heatsink USA, it's 26x5.888, worked out really well

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesome, that's the same one I used!

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Alright I can't take it any more. My protein skimmer is too drat loud. I need to either replace it or figure out how to cut the noise.

The two biggest sounds are the air intake tube and the rattle of the pump against the bottom of the sump. I'll try cleaning the tube, and I'll attach some suction cups to keep the skimmer firmly secured to the glass, but I'm doubtful it will help much. This thing is LOUD.

Does anyone have recommendations for skimmers that are a good balance between price, performance, and noise? Emphasis on the noise, though. Preferably under $200. My tank is 75 gallons and is pretty lightly stocked with fish, just 7 small guys, a growing collection of SPS and soft corals, and future plans for a maxima clam.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have a NAC 3.5 in my 40+20 system, why not an NAC6? It's rather quiet. What do you have now?

Also, started doing lights last night but got lazy halfway through:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 25, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

All done!

Let there be light!~

And the tank, with the help of my lovely girlfriend assistant!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Progress! Got everything wired up and all the optics in place. Just waiting for the project box to arrive to hide my drivers then i can get it mounted.

Not my best wiring job but it will do.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Lookin good homie! How are you going to mount that thing? I drilled a 1/8" hole in each corner and used a hanging kit from home depot.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

Lookin good homie! How are you going to mount that thing? I drilled a 1/8" hole in each corner and used a hanging kit from home depot.

Exactly how you did it, I'll probably use generic shelf hangers. Maybe I'll even put a shelf on it to make it look spiffy

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Cool, I forgot to drill mine, so I have to figure out some way to hang it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Look at what I saw at the LFS today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6XX9s54xM

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

arioch posted:

Look at what I saw at the LFS today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6XX9s54xM

That's pretty nutty. I don't think I like it though. That thing should be out chillin' in the ocean somewhere mimicking poo poo. Those things are way too clever for aquariums.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

visuvius posted:

That's pretty nutty. I don't think I like it though. That thing should be out chillin' in the ocean somewhere mimicking poo poo. Those things are way too clever for aquariums.

To be honest, now that it's over here, if I had a secured non-nano aquarium I'd totally try to keep it.

I went back there today and watched it eat 2 feeder shrimp right off the overflow mesh.

Also, more picture content:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is that some kind of chiton?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that some kind of chiton?

Nope, those are abalone. I have 2 of them in there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Very pretty, but aren't those things rather rare in the wild and therefore not really something we should keep in a home aquarium? Or am I misinformed?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesome! There's rules against fishing for them, only x amount per person etc, but I dont think they're endangered or anything. There's a ton of farms that grow them to be sent to market to help conservation too which is nice. Abalone farms are really cool actually, there's an episode of dirty jobs where mike Rowe works at one for the day.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The California abalone (sub tropical) is the one with a limit, afaik. For obvious reasons they are not good reef tank inhabitants.

These guys are tropical and are occasionally available in lfs. I've had the one for over a year and the other for 3 months or so. They are very active after lights out.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
I've always wanted an abalone for my tank, I will likely get one with the new setup.

I'll be posting a little journal of my new build. I'm trying to go all out now so I don't have to pick up anything in the future. Waiting on my AI SOLs and Apex in the mail, can't wait! Got the SOLs with custom fabricated fixtures that will attach to the back of the stand for only about $30 more each than a DIY kit with the same LEDs and free shipping to boot.

New tank is a 110 x-tall and a 40b sump. Did a lengthy search + buy for equipment through local reefers over the last 2-3 months. So far I've got a 6212 wavebox with the magnets added, MP40 dry-side, Vertex IN180, Sedra 12000 return and a (supposed pre-vertex, looks like an MRC) dual chamber calcium reactor with everything but a regulator. Also got an RO/DI (7! stage) with 3 sets of replacement filters... only $200 new from a water treatment company nearby. Got all of it so far for less than the 110 would have been brand new alone. I will soon live 5-mins from one of the top Canadian saltwater supply retailers so I will get all the replacement/missing pieces I need after I've got it all together.

I also joined bulkreefsupply and ordered a box of treats (forum group-buy). :)

Anyone else here from Canada? I'd love to trade frags sometime.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I was posting on my phone and did not see the picture. I meant the mimic octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, I was posting on my phone and did not see the picture. I meant the mimic octopus.

They are infrequently sighted by biologists, but that doesn't seem to mean much for a chameleon. Particularly as it seems biologist divers in general prefer to spend their time in different habitats than the octopus's native.

As an aside, I have a hard time believing any r-selected semelparous animal can be sustainably rare.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 28, 2012

• Locked thread