Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

IT Guy posted:

My coworker just asked me a question I didn't really know how to answer. He just bought his first Android device (Nexus 7) and he lets his kids use it a lot. Apparently they've been buying games with his $25 store credit. Is there any way to block this in the same fashion that Apple requires a password to buy apps?

Under Play Store settings there's an option for "require PIN for purchase."

Efb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Ah that's perfect, he still wanted to allow them to download free apps if they chose to and this seems to allow that as well.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I got my nexus a couple weeks ago now and haven't been able to get my $25 play store credit. I've been dealing with Google and had my case escalated already, but it appears no one can figure it out. So I'm throwing it out there to see if someone will have an idea or has had a similar issue and can help.

- I've had my Google account associated with android stuff since the Motor Droid.

- I've already factory reset 3 times as per each Google rep telling me.

-I've deleted and re added my credit cards, both from the device and from my pc.

-I've tried to buy apps from the device to see if it somehow kicks in with electronic voodoo.

I already have pretty much all the paid apps I want, but it's 25 free Google dollars that I could use to blow on random crap.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Doji Sekushi posted:

I got my nexus a couple weeks ago now and haven't been able to get my $25 play store credit. I've been dealing with Google and had my case escalated already, but it appears no one can figure it out. So I'm throwing it out there to see if someone will have an idea or has had a similar issue and can help.

- I've had my Google account associated with android stuff since the Motor Droid.

- I've already factory reset 3 times as per each Google rep telling me.

-I've deleted and re added my credit cards, both from the device and from my pc.

-I've tried to buy apps from the device to see if it somehow kicks in with electronic voodoo.

I already have pretty much all the paid apps I want, but it's 25 free Google dollars that I could use to blow on random crap.

Well, the logging into your Google account is what gives you the $25 credit (that's also how people are getting addtional $25 credits, by using other google accounts), so maybe it's just something mucked up in your Google account - it doesn't sound like anything on your side at all. I'm not really sure why they don't just give you a $25 play store credit outright, rather than have you try to troubleshoot their nexus 7 credit process.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is there any place you can try out the nexus 7 yet? None of the staples here have it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Google Play tablet arrived today and seems to be working perfectly. Finally happy! It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
So Tesco Direct (UK) had the 16gb Nexus 7 in stock all week. Waited to get paid so I could buy it and of course it goes out of stock today. :negative:

It's like £20 more to buy from Google Play. I'm not in that much of a rush to get it but the demand seems pretty high. Ebuyer would be a good alternative but they're not getting more stock till the 10th~ of August. :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

illcendiary posted:

This is really dumb on iOS, but to be fair it's being fixed in iOS 6.

That'll be nice.

right arm posted:

Neither do Apple tablets.

Depending on the apps you use, it can be required. Like video players where you can only transfer videos through the app while in iTunes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

Depending on the apps you use, it can be required. Like video players where you can only transfer videos through the app while in iTunes.

So would you say it doesn't fit your needs?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I think a store near me has some in stock so I'm gonna try fetch a Nexus 7 tomorrow, can anyone tell me exactly what I'm looking for in terms of defects? I know about the screen separation issue (is it really obvious? Can't see any clear videos demonstrating) and weird issues where the touch screen doesn't work/flickers etc but I guess I'll be testing it out before leaving the shop so I want to know it's fine before I leave.

Man, it sounds like people have had a loving nightmare with this device.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

chemosh6969 posted:

You're not required to use apps that use iTunes to transfer videos, since there are plenty that can wifi sync or copy/transcode/stream from a PC/mac/NAS/DLNA...

You might say it's all about choices and freedom.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Why, on SA of all places, are we having iOS vs. Android arguments? Especially in the android tablet thread. Jesus...

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
:stare:

Why am I just hearing about this tablet now? Holy poo poo that price point.

What are the chances that this tablet will have a successor? I'd run out and buy this tablet right now, but my parents got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas last year. It was what I wanted, and they went through the trouble of getting my American uncle to pick it up in the states to bring it here to Canada during his yearly visit, so I don't really want to trash their Christmas present, and I'm in no hurry to get a new tablet if I can get a tablet with a similar price and similar specs next year or so.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
There's always a better tech item around the corner. Sell your Kindle, buy the nexus and no one will know different

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
What's the best way to COMPLETELY get rid of fingerprints on a screen? My Nexus 7 is now covered in them, and my microfiber cloth doesn't seem to be doing the trick. It's annoying that the really nice, smooth feeling of the glass is now the lovely feeling of having my fingers catch onto the screen and stop.

I have 2 screen covers as well, but I'm hesitant to put them on because I don't know the quality.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Wash your hands.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

computers posted:

Wash your hands.

Seriously

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Yeah I was going to say that I had the same problem until I read the part about your fingers catching. I just have lots of light prints that you can see when the light hits it right. You need to wipe the poo poo off of your fingers before you touch the screen. Also, do you really consider 'fingerprints' to be crusty as a given? What are you eating?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
They aren't crusty nor are they catching like you're thinking. I guess it was just a poor choice of words. I've been sick all day and hadn't washed my hands for a few hours (been in bed). That pretty much took care of that, didn't realize how oily my fingers were until I got up and washed them. Thanks guys :downs:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

oxsnard posted:

There's always a better tech item around the corner. Sell your Kindle, buy the nexus and no one will know different

This right here. Nobody will have any idea you got something new unless they see the packaging (or the nexus logo on the back but still)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

computers posted:

Wash your hands.

Ok, what? You wash your hands so obsessively that you leave no prints? With your hands so dry, how can you grip anything?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Mr Newsman posted:

This right here. Nobody will have any idea you got something new unless they see the packaging (or the nexus logo on the back but still)

I know no one will KNOW that I did it, but that won't make me feel like any less of a dick for doing it. As long as I can get something similar later (my Kindle does just fine for now), I'm good.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Ok, what? You wash your hands so obsessively that you leave no prints? With your hands so dry, how can you grip anything?

Ziji posted:

It's annoying that the really nice, smooth feeling of the glass is now the lovely feeling of having my fingers catch onto the screen and stop.

There is a difference in normal skin oil on your screen and this. The difference being if the detritus from your skin is causing friction to the point of stopping your finger from moving.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The solution to greasy slime on your tablet is to drink the doctor-recommended 64 ounces of water daily.

You'll have to go to the john several times a day, which means your hands will see plenty of soap and water without you having to go all Marc Summers about handwashing.

And it's healthy for you anyway :waycool:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I hardly ever get print smuges on my screen like some people do but when I do get them, I find my shirt works best. Like better than a microfiber cloth for some reason.

Hey so, I have my Nexus 7 (defect free, yay) and I was about to install Aldiko because the primary reason I bought this this was for e-reading. Apparently Aldiko isn't compatible and can't be installed. Anyone know the next best e-reader for the Nexus 7? I really wish you could use Google Books to load in local epubs.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

IT Guy posted:

I hardly ever get print smuges on my screen like some people do but when I do get them, I find my shirt works best. Like better than a microfiber cloth for some reason.

Hey so, I have my Nexus 7 (defect free, yay) and I was about to install Aldiko because the primary reason I bought this this was for e-reading. Apparently Aldiko isn't compatible and can't be installed. Anyone know the next best e-reader for the Nexus 7? I really wish you could use Google Books to load in local epubs.

I've been using Aldiko on mine fine, you just have to side-load it, alternatively use Kindle, and just email everything to your @kindle.com email.

edit: I was assuming you actually couldn't install it, mine worked fine when I installed from the Market. If you did the DPI change the newest version will have some problems, so you need to sideload the last one.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 27, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weird ... I installed Alkido on my N7 without doing anything special.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Same, no issues installing it for me either.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I first got my N7 it wouldn't install anything from the market at all and just gave me cryptic error messages. Maybe it's the same thing and IT Guy has only tried installing Alkido.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Any chance alkido requires the tablet UI? Installed fine on my N7.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
Just searched for and installed Aldiko Book Reader, seems to install without issue and opens fine.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

That's weird, if I goto the play store on the tablet I can install Aldiko, but I can't push it to the device via the web store on a real computer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

randyest posted:

You might say it's all about choices and freedom.

(This quote, plus a bunch of other recent posts by other users)

Please stop with this.

Yes, it's easy to troll fans of whatever platform, but it doesn't lead the thread anywhere interesting or entertaining except for the people doing the trolling.

From this point forward I'm going to start probating anything that even smells a little trollish.

Which really means I just have to watch the posts of a few users, so that'll make my job easier.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 27, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

tomm posted:

I think a store near me has some in stock so I'm gonna try fetch a Nexus 7 tomorrow, can anyone tell me exactly what I'm looking for in terms of defects? I know about the screen separation issue (is it really obvious? Can't see any clear videos demonstrating) and weird issues where the touch screen doesn't work/flickers etc but I guess I'll be testing it out before leaving the shop so I want to know it's fine before I leave.

Man, it sounds like people have had a loving nightmare with this device.

1. Look at the sides and if the screen isn't flush or is lifting out, it's defective.
2. Look for lines of dead pixels on the screen.
3. Test the touch responsivness. If you can in the shop, download "Multitouch Test" and make sure it properly responds to your touches.

We don't know the figures for how many people had defective devices but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says. You tend not to hear about it when people had a non-defective device (silent majority). I just received mine yesterday and it's defect free.

Hope that gives you a bit of peace of mind.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 27, 2012

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The multi touch issue doesn't seem to creep out till you do something gpu intensive. (my nexus 7 has no issues)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Specifically for this:

IT Guy posted:

1. Look at the sides and if the screen isn't flush or is lifting out, it's defective.

The defect happens on the left side of the screen, it rises slightly from the frame.

Hold the tablet so that you are looking at the left side, across the screen. Check that you cannot see any black (the screen) rising above the silver edge closest to you (left side)

Hold the tablet so that you are looking at the right side, across the screen. Check that you can see the silver line of the frame on the opposite side (left side) all the way up that side of the screen.

(Those two are basically the same thing but sometimes its easier to see one or the other.)

Push (with your thumb, doesn't need a lot of presure but some, be sensible :D ) the black bezel at the middle of the left side and make sure that you don't feel any movement. Compare to the right right, it should be completely solid evrywhere.

Good luck!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Another question about Aldiko. On the Nexus 7, the settings menu is non-existent. How are you guys getting into the settings?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tapping on the page when in a book

olleh
Aug 9, 2011

i like tortles. wartortles.
I bought a Nexus 7 8gb locally off of craigslist but have recently been noticing the "lifting issue" and am worried I may not be able to RMA. I am assuming that this was originally purchased from the Google Play store because no stores carry the 8gb. Can I still ask Google for a new device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Tapping on the page when in a book

Ah thanks, I was hitting the sides which was causing the page to turn, the middle seems to work.