Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

olleh posted:

I bought a Nexus 7 8gb locally off of craigslist but have recently been noticing the "lifting issue" and am worried I may not be able to RMA. I am assuming that this was originally purchased from the Google Play store because no stores carry the 8gb. Can I still ask Google for a new device?

Actually, this is not true any longer. I just walked out of my local Staples with an 8GB, which the sales guy said they just got in stock yesterday. I hadn't seen mention of this so I was pretty surprised when the guy asked if I wanted an 8 or 16GB Nexus 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

olleh posted:

I bought a Nexus 7 8gb locally off of craigslist but have recently been noticing the "lifting issue" and am worried I may not be able to RMA. I am assuming that this was originally purchased from the Google Play store because no stores carry the 8gb. Can I still ask Google for a new device?

The way I think they have been handling RMAs is they credit your google play account and you just purchase another one. A phone call might be your best bet.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the screen lift thing something that will get worse with time? My left side of the screen is a tiny bit above the silver bezel and I can push it down a bit. I put it down to shoddy manufacturing and didn't really think any more of it till I saw people here returning them. If it just stays as it is I don't really care, but if it's something where the adhesive gets worse and worse I suppose I should get it replaced now.

olleh
Aug 9, 2011

i like tortles. wartortles.

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

The way I think they have been handling RMAs is they credit your google play account and you just purchase another one. A phone call might be your best bet.

Thanks for clearing this up. I'll give them a phone call this weekend and let everyone know what what they say in case someone else is in the same boat as me.

powderific posted:

Is the screen lift thing something that will get worse with time? My left side of the screen is a tiny bit above the silver bezel and I can push it down a bit. I put it down to shoddy manufacturing and didn't really think any more of it till I saw people here returning them. If it just stays as it is I don't really care, but if it's something where the adhesive gets worse and worse I suppose I should get it replaced now.

For me, it was not bad in the beginning so I was not going to send it in to Google but I can definitely tell it has gotten worse. I was in the same boat as you but have decided to send it in. Why settle for a faulty device right?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Oh gently caress me.

Apparently my screen is starting to lift now, only on the left side...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Are you loving kidding me? Me too.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Kind of. They put a temp hold on your credit card for the purchase price of the replacement. Once you send back the original they take off the hold, or if they don't get it back in 21 days they process the charge.

I e-mailed support on Saturday, got a response and link to order the replacement on Monday, it was just delivered today.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was having some very minor screen separation issues and I did this trick using a clamp: http://therealtonystark.blogspot.ca/2012/07/google-nexus-screen-separation-fix.html

It's been a few days now and it's still holding, so give that a shot if you don't feel like dealing with a return.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

IT Guy posted:

Oh gently caress me.

Apparently my screen is starting to lift now, only on the left side...

I had this same issue and all I did was open it up and shave a layer of the black foam piece off (with a knife). The screen is now flush with the rest of the unit and doesn't have the "spongey" feeling that creaks anymore.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

UncleGuito posted:

I had this same issue and all I did was open it up and shave a layer of the black foam piece off (with a knife). The screen is now flush with the rest of the unit and doesn't have the "spongey" feeling that creaks anymore.

I'd consider this if I wasn't within the return policy, but I think I'll just call Google and have it replaced.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just posting to say that the dictation on the nexus 7 is incredible. I'm just lying in bed right now, speaking to my tablet, and posting on something awful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UncleGuito posted:

You could have just gotten a warranty replacement for your broken tablet.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Just posting to say that the dictation on the nexus 7 is incredible. I'm just lying in bed right now, speaking to my tablet, and posting on something awful.

Also really impressed with dictation and voice search. The dictation is much better than iOS thanks be being faster, local, and able to process things more often as you're speaking, and I honestly think the voice search stuff works better than Siri. Part of its better-ness is simply how much faster it is in general.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

kitten smoothie posted:

The solution to greasy slime on your tablet is to drink the doctor-recommended 64 ounces of water daily.

You'll have to go to the john several times a day, which means your hands will see plenty of soap and water without you having to go all Marc Summers about handwashing.

And it's healthy for you anyway :waycool:

That's a myth. You should drink water when your body says that it's thirsty, anything else is just going down the toilet. It won't hurt you to drink more, but you won't suffer any for not drinking that much every day.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
On the flip side, there is such a thing called having too much water and it can be life threatening. Also if you don't eat processed things and eat mostly vegetables/fruits/soups it's entirely possibly you might get 1/2 of your water or more through your food.
Why are we even talking about amounts of water to drink in this thread anyway?

re: powderific
I do find the voice dictation incredibly useful, but I can't get my wife to use it. I think it's the adversity to the voice stuff within ICS which is okay at best for her purposes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

powderific posted:

Also really impressed with dictation and voice search. The dictation is much better than iOS thanks be being faster, local, and able to process things more often as you're speaking, and I honestly think the voice search stuff works better than Siri. Part of its better-ness is simply how much faster it is in general.
It also somehow understands my Scottish accent perfectly, which is more than I can say for other voice recognition software.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
I had Google send me a replacement 16GB since I had the screen lifting issue everyone else is having. The fix mentioned earlier in the thread only worked for a day or so until I noticed the separation again. My replacement came in today and it has the same lifting problem :argh:

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

zwee posted:

I had Google send me a replacement 16GB since I had the screen lifting issue everyone else is having. The fix mentioned earlier in the thread only worked for a day or so until I noticed the separation again. My replacement came in today and it has the same lifting problem :argh:

Try the fix I posted. It seems much better then the screw tightening fix.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've had my TF700T for a few days now and I've noticed the video performance seems a bit choppy at times. My home page is mostly full of apps and it can sometimes lag for a second or two changing pages before jerkily switching over. Things don't scroll smoothly at times, when there's nothing running in the background or any downloads going.

I installed the latest firmware and it hasn't made a noticable difference. I'm hoping it gets sorted soon, seems like I/O issues are cropping up for the Infinity.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

nightwisher posted:

I installed the latest firmware and it hasn't made a noticable difference. I'm hoping it gets sorted soon, seems like I/O issues are cropping up for the Infinity.

:ohdear: Ahh, not what I want to hear. Is ASUS always this bad?

Anyone with a TF300, how is the 1080p playback on it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IT Guy posted:

:ohdear: Ahh, not what I want to hear. Is ASUS always this bad?

It does seem like they always mess something up with each model :/

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

nightwisher posted:

I've had my TF700T for a few days now and I've noticed the video performance seems a bit choppy at times. My home page is mostly full of apps and it can sometimes lag for a second or two changing pages before jerkily switching over. Things don't scroll smoothly at times, when there's nothing running in the background or any downloads going.

Which app are you using to play video? And is it in software/hardware mode?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I was playing a 1080p youtube vid and it was stuttering a bit.

I still have my TF300 and it's much smoother than the TF700. Apparently Asus have acknowledged the issue and a fix is coming sometime soon.

I'm a little dissapointed too that some games run choppily on the 700 that ran just fine on the 300. I know it's a much bigger screen but I'd hoped the hardware was built for the job. I'm still happy with it, but the UI issues are really noticable and somewhat frustrating when the older, lower-spec model does it better with less.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

zwee posted:

That sucks, my replacement seems perfect. I'll be keeping an eye out for screen lifting for a few days before I consider it case closed, but so far so good.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Hey guys, I am wrapping up the Android version of Paprika Recipe Manager and am looking for a few folks to help beta test. I'm mostly targeting the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, but pretty much anyone with an Android tablet and an interest in cooking is welcome to help out. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Screenshots:

(Bonus points if you already have the iPhone/iPad/Mac version of Paprika and can help test out the cloud sync to Android.)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

NoDamage posted:

Hey guys, I am wrapping up the Android version of Paprika Recipe Manager and am looking for a few folks to help beta test. I'm mostly targeting the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, but pretty much anyone with an Android tablet and an interest in cooking is welcome to help out. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Screenshots:

(Bonus points if you already have the iPhone/iPad/Mac version of Paprika and can help test out the cloud sync to Android.)
:aaa: I thought this would never make it to Android. Paprika and Stanza are the two apps I still miss from my iPad.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Tunga posted:

Specifically for this:

The defect happens on the left side of the screen, it rises slightly from the frame.

Hold the tablet so that you are looking at the left side, across the screen. Check that you cannot see any black (the screen) rising above the silver edge closest to you (left side)

Hold the tablet so that you are looking at the right side, across the screen. Check that you can see the silver line of the frame on the opposite side (left side) all the way up that side of the screen.

(Those two are basically the same thing but sometimes its easier to see one or the other.)

Push (with your thumb, doesn't need a lot of presure but some, be sensible :D ) the black bezel at the middle of the left side and make sure that you don't feel any movement. Compare to the right right, it should be completely solid evrywhere.

Good luck!

Ok, after reading this I can confirm I have the same lifting issue everybody else seems to be having.

I'm right now wondering whether to ignore it, send it in for replacement or get my money back. Has anyone had a case of it getting worse and worse over time, until it becomes a major issue?

Freezer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 28, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The warranty replacement for my screen-lifted Nexus 7 arrived yesterday, and the screen is flush. Just wanted to reassure that not all the replacement units are affected.

Since Google sends out a new tablet before you ship yours, there's no reason not to opt to use the warranty, really.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the screen lifting problem but since I bought my N7 from a shop (Currys UK) I figured I'd wait for stock and quality to settle before replacing it in a month or two.

However, now I have another issue. My tablet is shutting down when the battery is around 20% remaining. I've tried charging and discharging and clearing battery stats at various points. Yesterday it did it at 18%, today at 21%.

Anyone had a problem with this? I hadn't even let mine run down this low until now. I can't tell if it's a battery issue or just a stats/display bug.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

NoDamage posted:

I'd like to help out.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Have just started using mine, picked it up today, it was bought from Ebuyer in the UK as I'm assuming the second shipment so I have no idea if it's the 'good' shipment or not. Basically I totally love it, coming from a Galaxy S that is totally pissing me off with random shut-downs and other crap I have to put up with until I can upgrade to an SIII (I'm assuming because it's an old, single-core phone and I use a few apps).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Meanwhile Google are still investigating why my 30th June preorder hasn't turned up. Stop investigating, put one in the post :allears:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

nightwisher posted:

All the Tegra3 Transformer devices currently have I/O issues under the current ICS kernel and drivers that they're using, there's some pretty detailed analysis over on the xda Prime forums.

That said, it doesn't appear that the Nexus 7 is having these issues, despite running on basically the same hardware, so it's highly likely things will be fixed once Asus finally pushes out the JB updates.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

NoDamage posted:

(Bonus pints if you already have the iPhone/iPad/Mac version of Paprika and can help test out the cloud sync to Android.)

I have the iPad app and I love it. Just got an N7, would be happy to test it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
My Xoom is updating to 4.1.1.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The $25 play store money was only for pre-ordering the Nexus 7 right? Is there any advantage to buying it in the Play Store versus buying it in a retail store?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The $25 play store money was only for pre-ordering the Nexus 7 right? Is there any advantage to buying it in the Play Store versus buying it in a retail store?

They're still giving the credits.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I tried swapping out the USB cable that came with my nexus 7 with a longer usb cable (still using the same charger though). It doesn't seem to be charging though, even though it says 'charging' on the screen. When i was using the nexus 7 while plugged in, i actually lost 1% charge after using it for like 30 or so minutes.

I think i grabbed this cable off Ebay. It had no trouble charging my phone. Are there different grades of USB cables or something?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I bought mine at Staples, and I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Octopode posted:

All the Tegra3 Transformer devices currently have I/O issues under the current ICS kernel and drivers that they're using, there's some pretty detailed analysis over on the xda Prime forums.

That said, it doesn't appear that the Nexus 7 is having these issues, despite running on basically the same hardware, so it's highly likely things will be fixed once Asus finally pushes out the JB updates.
Thanks for this info. I hope the JB updates for the Transformers are pretty close. I have noticed some slowness/stutter on occasion on my TF700 but nothing too annoying. Usually fixed by putting the tablet into "performance" mode.