Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is Mountain Lion any more of a resource hog than Lion? I've a 2009 MacBook with Lion on that runs okay but I sometimes get the impression when it's doing something intensive that it's on the verge of struggling.

I don't want to push it over the edge by upgrading if there is a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I just upgraded to Mountain Lion on my 2011 MacBook Air and it was pretty much the smoothest process I've ever had upgrading an OS. No issues to speak of so far. Honestly the changes were so subtle that the only thing I noticed different was Notification Center, which is been pretty useful since I keep the Mail client open on a separate spaces.

Also I just dictated this entire reply, so that seems to be working pretty fantastically.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I just got my code, as well.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Can you control which calendars show in the Notification Center? I like having a bunch of calendars in the app, but I don't need to see them all as notifications (especially if it won't tell me which event is on which calendar).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone who used the up-to-date program submitted an e-mail address ID that contained a "+" character? I have a feeling the regex of the submission pages doesn't accept it.

It also insists on an American-style phone number for some reason. :confused:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, you know what's not good Apple design? A popup asking me to manually sign out and back in again because iTunes Match has encountered an error. I can't see why that isn't done completely transparently and automatically, except that Apple is slipping.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone else having this weird issue with QuickTime Player X? When I click anywhere on the window, it goes to the background, and whatever next app that was in the Z-order stack comes forward (Finder usually). If I click on the titlebar buttons (close, minimize) it does nothing. The only way to put QT Player back in focus is to click it's Dock icon. I can still Cmd-W to close the window, but clicking anywhere on the app window doesn't work. And if the app window is in the foreground, clicking on it puts it in the background.

:psyduck:

I've disabled persistant windows for it, and also tried removing the preferences plist for it. No other app behaves this way.

edit: Cmd-Tab will also bring it to the foreground.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Hey, you know what's not good Apple design? A popup asking me to manually sign out and back in again because iTunes Match has encountered an error. I can't see why that isn't done completely transparently and automatically, except that Apple is slipping.

iTunes in general is a piece of poo poo and I'm almost sure they're going to phase it out soon. Nobody likes it, and it's by far the least consumer-friendly piece of software Apple makes.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

maduin posted:

iTunes in general is a piece of poo poo and I'm almost sure they're going to phase it out soon. Nobody likes it, and it's by far the least consumer-friendly piece of software Apple makes.

I can't be the only person who has no problem with iTunes. I load it, it manages my media.

The last thing Apple should do is break iTunes up into like 10 different apps, iOS style, which would be their contemporary definition of "fixing".

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

maduin posted:

This is probably true.

But I bet when this happens the power users of iTunes will bitch, because I'm sure power features like Smart Playlists will go away in an effort to make it simpler.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Terpfen posted:

I can't be the only person who has no problem with iTunes. I load it, it manages my media.

The last thing Apple should do is break iTunes up into like 10 different apps, iOS style, which would be their contemporary definition of "fixing".

I dunno, it would make sense to have a "Sync" App, a "Music" app. "Videos" app and also relegate stuff like "iTunes Homesharing" as a service in the System Preferences like all the rest of the services...

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

The play/pause/skip/back keys on my iMac keyboard no longer work for controlling iTunes for some reason? All of the other keys work (brightness, volume, etc).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

echobucket posted:

I dunno, it would make sense to have a "Sync" App, a "Music" app. "Videos" app and also relegate stuff like "iTunes Homesharing" as a service in the System Preferences like all the rest of the services...

Sync is a feature, not an app.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Sync is a feature, not an app.

You still need an interface somewhere to control what syncs.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

echobucket posted:

You still need an interface somewhere to control what syncs.

Yes, but not a separate app. There's a reason no one ever had to fire up iSync to sync their iPhone to iTunes.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The main problem of iTunes is that it has to keep parity with the Windows version, causing the glut of features and the mess of settings, not to mention the fact that it is the same code base since sometime around iTunes 5.

iTunes isn't completely broken, but it is showing its age compared to other top flight apps like Final Cut X, iPhoto, and Garage Band.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wish they would push all the app store stuff into the Mac Store application. It would get people to look at their apps for one. But yeah, I wish iTunes would go just to the media side, and maybe bring back iSync to handling syncing from Mac Store, iTunes, iPhoto, etc.

But I am totally the power user that would bitch if they got rid of the app or Smart Playlists. :argh:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sigma posted:

The main problem of iTunes is that it has to keep parity with the Windows version

This. Breaking iTunes up into several different apps might work on OS X since Apple can just include everything right in the OS, but making Windows users install multiple apps is trickier.

Clearly something has to be done about iTunes, but it's not really obvious what yet. Hopefully, over time iCloud will reduce iTunes' importance enough that it just won't be a major issue anymore.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

computer parts posted:

Well, after preparing backup for about 9 hours my Time Machine is finally working again, albeit it seems to be going rather slowly. It's got 17 gigs to backup though, so hopefully it'll finish quickly enough (it's only done like a gig in an hour, though :> ).

Not normal, I promise. Can you run tmdiagnose while it's being slow and file a bug?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Terpfen posted:

I've been maintaining the same iTunes library since 2001, over 4 different computers, more harddrives and wipes, and it's gotten big. But I've never had any problems with iTunes. Once in the past decade I deleted the Library.xml file and rebuilt my library. Works likes a champ!

They really ought to move all the iOS crap into the Mac App Store application though.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
So, uh, I just got three different ML PDF emails from Apple, and then three different ML password emails. None of the passwords work with any of the PDFs. I'm assuming this is not a common problem that others are having?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

This. Breaking iTunes up into several different apps might work on OS X since Apple can just include everything right in the OS, but making Windows users install multiple apps is trickier.

Clearly something has to be done about iTunes, but it's not really obvious what yet. Hopefully, over time iCloud will reduce iTunes' importance enough that it just won't be a major issue anymore.

Yeah, actually this is what will happen to iTunes. You won't sync to the device, you'll just sync to the cloud and pull down what you want from there. Unfortunately for now that means paying for iTunes match, but I wonder if eventually they might make iTunes match free and just make it how you get music on your phone?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echobucket posted:

I could see something like that. "Music" + "Video" apps.

Syncing & Homesharing will probably eventually disappear completely, what with iCloud, iTunes Match & AirPlay. Doubt you'll even get to configure much aside from a checkbox for each "type", they're pretty much moving to a model where everything is just accessible on all your devices if they're signed in to the right account.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

decypher posted:

If I remember correctly, the default setting is to Allow programs to run from the AppStore and known, registered developers. That's the middle of the road option.
Incidentally, this only applies to downloads from the internet and such. It doesn't seem to apply to applications on a CD.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I did a completely flat format and re-install, and now there is constant stuttering. From iTunes, from Quicktime Player, from games I'm running in Wine. It's made the whole system unusable. So I guess it's back to Lion for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fren posted:

I did a completely flat format and re-install, and now there is constant stuttering. From iTunes, from Quicktime Player, from games I'm running in Wine. It's made the whole system unusable. So I guess it's back to Lion for me.

I had this on a Hackintosh once, and it drove me crazy. Turned out my hard drive was defective. The catch was it was happening on Windows 7 and OS X.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got an "Up yo date claim denied" email saying the reason "Purchases must be through an authorized reseller". I bought a 27" iMac from apple.com refurbished store.

The up to date page says Apple Certified Refurbished is acceptible for the clsim. Called Apple, after a long hold, they told me to submit the claim again.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Has anyone had problems with their gmail calendar not syncing with the calendar app after installing mountain lion?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Goddamn, I just rebooted and the loving youtube video I had open in Safari picked up exactly where it was.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Now that I have a ton of Ram I don't mind iTunes so much, it pretty much stays open 24/7 anyway so there are not many problems with launching it to sync. I just wish I could hide poo poo like Ping and iTunes Radio.

So I just got our Mac Up-To-Date code for my Wife's 2012 Air. She's currently out of town this week, I wonder if there will be any issue, since we use the same Apple ID for the App Store, if I just plug it into my computer and download Mountain Lion on my 2008 Mac Pro, and then when she gets back we load it up on her 2012 Air? I don't see why that wouldn't work unless they are being extra protective over Mountain Lion

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

redstormpopcorn posted:

Does Lion Server's Profile Manager do anything that Apple Configurator doesn't with regards to iOS device restrictions? Even in Supervised mode, where you are supposedly acting with absolute authority over your cart full of iPads, AppConfig has no provision for setting a Restrictions passcode or circumventing each individual device's main passcode. Would Profile Manager or some other MDM be less lovely about that?

You can force/reset/remove a main passcode with Profile Manager. No idea about the restrictions passcode.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

ufarn posted:

Has anyone who used the up-to-date program submitted an e-mail address ID that contained a "+" character? I have a feeling the regex of the submission pages doesn't accept it.

It also insists on an American-style phone number for some reason. :confused:

If it insists on using an American-style phone number you're on the US signup page, not whatever your local country's is. It'll also say "USA" on your confirmation, no matter what country you chose in the dropdown.

ie. http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
is different to
http://www.apple.com/au/osx/uptodate/

Click the flag in the bottom right and select your country.

Nothing concrete but I've heard it might take longer if you use the wrong country since they have to process it manually.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2012

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Wow, the bug that disallows me from binding "Show Desktop" to a mouse button STILL exists.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Well I just bought Mountain Lion because I'm not waiting for another Up-to-date thing to go through.

I'll submit my Up-to-date request, will it give me a code I can just give to any goon? They won't have to be in Australia or anything?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Astro7x posted:

Now that I have a ton of Ram I don't mind iTunes so much, it pretty much stays open 24/7 anyway so there are not many problems with launching it to sync. I just wish I could hide poo poo like Ping and iTunes Radio.

You can:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mug posted:

Well I just bought Mountain Lion because I'm not waiting for another Up-to-date thing to go through.

I'll submit my Up-to-date request, will it give me a code I can just give to any goon? They won't have to be in Australia or anything?

If you are just waiting for the email and rightfully own it already why didn't you just download it somewhere else? It's not like Apple has a cd key for it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mug posted:

I got an "Up yo date claim denied" email saying the reason "Purchases must be through an authorized reseller". I bought a 27" iMac from apple.com refurbished store.

The up to date page says Apple Certified Refurbished is acceptible for the clsim. Called Apple, after a long hold, they told me to submit the claim again.

Now I can't submit another claim because it says my serial has already been claimed...
Back to the phone support. The support staff seem confused and not sure what to do.

edit: gently caress this, hung up. Someone go pirate one copy of Mountail Lion to make up for the one I missed out on.
edit2: Don't really do that please.

Mug fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 28, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If you are just waiting for the email and rightfully own it already why didn't you just download it somewhere else? It's not like Apple has a cd key for it.

I think that's against the eula, it comes under "Unauthorised copies".

Also I didn't think of that, so there's that too.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I will tell you one thing I have notice since I installed ML, my computer boots up AMAZINGLY fast now! I had put a SSD in it a few months a go and it was booting up pretty fast already, but after the install it goes from completely off to logged in on the desktop in under 10 seconds, its loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah it's quicker to boot than to shut down.

I'm having an issue though that restarting doesn't appear to fix. It seems I've got some kind of state issue. If I doubleclick an app it just keeps bouncing eventually "not responding". I can run the apps fine if I put their path in the terminal or via open -a. Nothing in the Console that I can see.