Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

moker posted:

Yes, the LARPers fit in fine...its called RC div :xd:

Lazy rear end Rod Pullers

On my boat it was E div that was the anime fiends, RC was just a bunch of drunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antoniomargareti
Jul 23, 2012
I work on a neuc plant, but my job isn't as testing, if I see someone I don't recognise, I have permission to shoot to kill. This is on level alpha section only. If you don't have the right access, it's goodbye world

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

ChewedFood posted:

-If looking into the nuke field, you have never done drugs. You certainly can not continue doing drugs after getting in if that is something you are thinking about. Most people I know here have smoked marijuana but neglected to disclose it to the Navy and everybody knows that's how it is. Nobody cares as long as you understand you can't keep doing it.

When I went into DEP, I was honest and told them yes, I had before, a handful of times. I was told they needed waivers. I figured, well, might as well throw it all out there and let the chips fall where they may. But, with the Navy, YMMV.

On a different note, took the off-crew exam in Prototype yesterday. Passed...thank god. Now for rotating watch!

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

itsrobbiej posted:

When I went into DEP, I was honest and told them yes, I had before, a handful of times. I was told they needed waivers. I figured, well, might as well throw it all out there and let the chips fall where they may. But, with the Navy, YMMV.

On a different note, took the off-crew exam in Prototype yesterday. Passed...thank god. Now for rotating watch!
You're MARF, right? If so, what section are you going to? (I'm section 2)

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Not UNIX posted:

You're MARF, right? If so, what section are you going to? (I'm section 2)

Section 5. I heard they are pretty rough, but you get and stay ahead and most likely qualify early. Meh. 6 months is 6 months!

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

antoniomargareti posted:

I work on a neuc plant, but my job isn't as testing, if I see someone I don't recognise, I have permission to shoot to kill. This is on level alpha section only. If you don't have the right access, it's goodbye world

Do you work at a nuke plant in Iran?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

belt posted:

Do you work at a nuke plant in Iran?
Alpha level, son. That's need-to-know. Guess what you don't have. :smuggo:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

antoniomargareti posted:

antoniomargareti posted:

43 commando fleet protection group

Sorry I should have said, got over exited when I saw there was a steam group! I sit on a neuc all day and make sure nobody tries to steal it.

Yeah, I read the rule page, you have to be in a corp or service.

antoniomargareti posted:

Back to weed talk, what is the average price these days of a quarter of an ounce of skunk?

I am dying to know why a royal supercommando nuclear security guard is so concerned with the price of weed and video games.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You ever guard a neuc... on weeeeed?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Don't listen to Antonio. I was over at his neuc just the other day and frankly I wasn't impressed with the security at all. I mean hell, everyone else was in lab coats and I just walked in in a tuxedo and just started shooting the place up with my golden gun. That bitch Antonio just hid under some tanks until after I'd jumped off the dam to escape, but I think the joke's on him cuz Doak said those tanks had some nasty poo poo in em

antoniomargareti
Jul 23, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't listen to Antonio. I was over at his neuc just the other day and frankly I wasn't impressed with the security at all. I mean hell, everyone else was in lab coats and I just walked in in a tuxedo and just started shooting the place up with my golden gun. That bitch Antonio just hid under some tanks until after I'd jumped off the dam to escape, but I think the joke's on him cuz Doak said those tanks had some nasty poo poo in em

Lmao, no, I've not smoked weed since school. We have non scheduled drug tests, you don't know when they going to be, someone tried to bring piss from a pal, but was caught and dropped. My knowledge of weed is from a relative, but now I have said too much.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

antoniomargareti posted:

Im going to go ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KetTarma posted:

Im going to go ahead and say you have no idea what you're talking about.

He might be british. Also he posted a few days after registering in an eve thread.

antoniomargareti posted:

Man, what the gently caress is this the hate a new face thread? Don't over rate yourself son, I don't give a poo poo about you. I was just saying I have the game and I play from time to time. Do I need to make a post that brings a tear to the eye to not be abused here?

I was just asking the name of your group/corp, that is all. Forget it, move on, have a coke and a smile man.

Later

There is more gold in there.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Judging by the way he's melting down, I'd wager there's some form of flaw in the radiation shielding of whatever he's guarding, so there might actually be some truth to his claim.

But I'm not alpha-level, obviously, so I wouldn't know.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Whee! Almost systems complete (keeping the Nuke thread alive!)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Got my DD214 today. Woopwoop.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KetTarma posted:

I will be drinking in honor of this post tonight. After following your saga for close to 2 years, it's great to hear you finally made it out.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

KetTarma posted:

:cheers:

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

KetTarma posted:

Welcome to the club

:glomp:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

KetTarma posted:

Welcome to the dark side :getin:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

KetTarma posted:

Welcome back! :glomp:

So what do you plan on doing now that you're out?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I start school on the 20th for a BSEE. It'll look nice next to my BSNET. I'm signed up for the Reserves, waiting for a spot to open so I can be enlisted. I have a 2 year contract with a 2 year deployment deferal so it'll be pretty silly. Hopefully in 2 years I'll have a paid engineering internship so I don't have to worry about using the military for health care. I've thought about commissioning as a USNR officer for extra pay but I'll probably only go down that route if I decide to pursue retirement. It sucks to do the USNR thing but I can't get any grants/scholarships due to already having my crappy online degree. I also have a mortgage to pay and a wife that wants babies soon.

The goal is 4 years from now to be working as an engineer-in-training at a defense contractor or factory making a decent wage on the 9 to 5 schedule. I want to get a professional electrical engineering license then work completely on my own schedule.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
God bless you, KetKarma. I hope to follow in your noble footsteps one day. Currently trying to get that Excelsior printout too.

To all else: hi, I'm a RC-div SPU at the S8G plant. Been in 2.5 years, can give some advice as both a student and an instructor, and the whole process up to Prototype.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If you ever want to be a real engineer, don't touch Excelsior. I'm getting 0 transfer credit from there. Itll just waste money and keep you from getting grants for first-time degree seekers. Otherwise, go hog wild.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

SC Prototype isn't bad so far. Student. I'm slightly >5% ahead and I get along well with most of the staff, although I constantly have this feeling that I'm incredibly retarded and only getting by through sheer luck. Even though the working hours suck (I was on vols in power school) I find that the work day goes by so much faster that it's tons more tolerable than the earlier parts of the pipeline.

I go back and forth every few days on things starting to make sense or seeming completely impossible for me to ever understand instead of just faking it. I'd say roughly 1/5 of what I learn seems to be getting transferred to long-term memory, and the rest is gone immediately after a checkout. Is that normal?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Yeah, its pretty normal. Just too much poo poo for your mind to actually soak in, once you get to your real plant it'll change and you'll know more than you'd ever want to

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Take your vols and shove 'em. 35-5 4lyf :whatup:

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

Take your vols and shove 'em. 35-5 4lyf :whatup:

Qtiyd

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Just took the 50% in NY. I passed all sections, so that's a relief.

quote:

I go back and forth every few days on things starting to make sense or seeming completely impossible for me to ever understand instead of just faking it. I'd say roughly 1/5 of what I learn seems to be getting transferred to long-term memory, and the rest is gone immediately after a checkout. Is that normal?

I'm in the same boat. I will study like 8 casualties, get the signatures, and then the next day, not remember half the stuff until I review it again. I just keep telling myself that the instructors have been giving checkouts to people for a long time, so they know the systems inside and out.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Its not so much that as understanding the philosophy behind what you want to do in each casualty. I lost lube oil flow. Why? What will make things safe for the next few minutes? What about long term? It ultimately goes back to getting good systems checkouts. You can always tell during casualty checkouts who understands the system and who got it signed off because their partner carried them.

Flash memorizing is very common and will get you by but, as you can guess, screws you in the end. Go to the plant or matf and walk it out. Itll help.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

Its not so much that as understanding the philosophy behind what you want to do in each casualty. I lost lube oil flow. Why? What will make things safe for the next few minutes? What about long term? It ultimately goes back to getting good systems checkouts. You can always tell during casualty checkouts who understands the system and who got it signed off because their partner carried them.

Flash memorizing is very common and will get you by but, as you can guess, screws you in the end. Go to the plant or matf and walk it out. Itll help.

This really doesn't just apply to the nuke world, but any casualty to equipment you'll ever deal with in the Navy. It's all about following two paths: what could have caused this and what will my actions cause. You have to understand that there's likely causes for every engineering casualty, and there will be definite consequences of every action you take. Most of it is pretty logical to step through. Go down and look at all the actual gear and just trace things out and piece together what you'll lose each time you have to secure something.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It's hard to give an example due to the nature of the discussion topic.

Think of it like this: The majority of the staff have been working in nuclear power plants for 5-10 years. Reduction gears need oil. Turbine generators need oil. Switchboards need power. When I first showed up to NPTU, I didnt know anything about any of the systems... but when we had a real casualty on one of my U/Is, I knew exactly what to do because equipment is pretty universal. Learning "Oh, I need to go check this temperature monitoring panel right here" is the specific stuff that you'll relearn everywhere you go. Qualifying at prototype really doesn't help you that much with operating a nuke plant. What it helps with is teaching you how to qualify and a good overview of how systems interact together.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
Just got back from my first patrol. Quallified RT and I'm about 1/3 done on ships. I'm certainly glad to be back but I don't think I'll mind going out again.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120825/PC16/120829460/1006/navy-submarine-heads-back-upstream

I really wonder where they got the 100 million dollar number from.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've seen $20m elsewhere, $100m seems awful high but maybe they had to buy new maneuvering chairs and that blew the budget

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That fancy black and red hull paint is expensive.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

That fancy black and red hull paint is expensive.

They don't use red anymore noob!!!

actually they might idk but ours was black every time

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 27, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The red is on the bottom mokes

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

The red is on the bottom mokes

yeah and we were in dry dock 4 times......they painted it black....

e2: removed trigger word

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah idk they painted ours red on the bottom at least once.

If you look at our grounding pic on wikipedia our underside is red although that was a few years ago

• Locked thread