Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

Or do what my date did at Per Se and get intimidated and not say anything about a shellfish allergy.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst part of my meal was trying to calculate a 3 figure tip while seeing double. Sure, the wine pairings seemed like a good idea at the start, but then you don't want to be wasteful so you drink them all and before you know it you're watching an old french guy grope your wife while the sommelier goes on about Alsace and the room starts to spin and oh god I can't tell how loud I'm talking

Four stars, would go back again

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The worst part of my meal was trying to calculate a 3 figure tip while seeing double. Sure, the wine pairings seemed like a good idea at the start, but then you don't want to be wasteful so you drink them all and before you know it you're watching an old french guy grope your wife while the sommelier goes on about Alsace and the room starts to spin and oh god I can't tell how loud I'm talking

Four stars, would go back again

Mediaphage, pf and I (plus spouses) went to a tasting menu place for a 5-hour, 16 course meal on NYE and by the end of it we were all completely drunk off our minds. The first course was paired with a shot of vodka and it kind of went downhill from there.

Without the pictures I think the only courses I would remember are the pickle course and the one that came with a fried squab head.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Yeah, she was in the bathroom half the time and I was confused because I was busy getting druuuunk and eating the best meal of my life.

Still friends with the girl, tease her about it to this day.

edit: one nice thing about per se dem, no need to calculate tip!

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 27, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Alinea and Brooklyn Fare you prepay so you only pay for wine. It's cool because it gives you time to write off the cost of the meal so there's no walloping feeling of financial loss at the end (unless you go wine crazy).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Alinea and Brooklyn Fare you prepay so you only pay for wine. It's cool because it gives you time to write off the cost of the meal so there's no walloping feeling of financial loss at the end (unless you go wine crazy).

I don't like it. I'd like to be able to just pay for wine pairings straight away honestly, since I know that's probably what I'll end up doing. I'd rather pay like 300 now and not worry about anything at all the day of, than 225 and then another 75. and have to worry about tip and blah blah

do you tip on your beverage purchases? I'd hope not since gratuity was technically 'already included' or whatever...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My local Costco started carrying whole lambs. Where the hell do you store something like this

http://i.imgur.com/SZrKJ.jpg

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you're just supposed to sous vide it in your bathtub.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

do you tip on your beverage purchases? I'd hope not since gratuity was technically 'already included' or whatever...

Who tips?

:smug:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Whole Lamb. 3.19/lb. WHY ISN'T THIS AT MY COSTCO?!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Real post I'd take it home and fabricate it. Then enjoy it bit by bit.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

My local Costco started carrying whole lambs. Where the hell do you store something like this

http://i.imgur.com/SZrKJ.jpg

Whoa that is awesome, what area Costco are you going to? I haven't been a member for a while because I used to live 5 minutes walking from an awesome grocery store, but now that I moved things are different. Things like this might convince me to become a member again...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dirty Phil posted:

Whoa that is awesome, what area Costco are you going to? I haven't been a member for a while because I used to live 5 minutes walking from an awesome grocery store, but now that I moved things are different. Things like this might convince me to become a member again...
Burbank

I think you're just supposed to sous vide it in your bathtub.
Trying to think when was the last time I cleaned my bathtub...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the average weight of those things?

did they have heads? Organs?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I don't like it. I'd like to be able to just pay for wine pairings straight away honestly, since I know that's probably what I'll end up doing. I'd rather pay like 300 now and not worry about anything at all the day of, than 225 and then another 75. and have to worry about tip and blah blah

I certainly do. You add 20% to your post-wine price in any other restaurant so....... it's not like the service at these places doesn't deserve it. I mean there were eight people working at Bx Fare serving 18 people all night. (there was a definite gratuity spot on the wine bill, as well, so it definitely looks to be the case)

It's probably smarter not to make pairing a web option because they can make a fuckload of money on huge spenders dropping ten grand on a special bottle so they always want to keep that window open.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Def no organs, you can see that the chest is split. Head is probably off as well, but I don't see whole lamb often, so maybe it is there.

20%, post wine? hahahahaha. Servers never deserve a large tip based on cost of food, seriously. The tip should be based on service. Do you refill my drinks before they're full, did you offer me the special, were you able to describe the food in detail.?
That's what should get a server a good tip. Not "well, food was $200, so I should tip $40"

It's infuriating to work as a cook in a hotel, and know that the servers are making 6-800 more per week than you. The worst part is if you're working the buffet, servers literally do nothing, and still get that 15% tip. They get your drinks, and will get an automatic 4bux for everyone who gets the buffet.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 28, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought maybe they came with an awesome giblet packet.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I thought maybe they came with an awesome giblet packet.

They're probably frozen whole, and it'd be difficult to secure giblets without major bruising during shipping.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

20%, post wine? hahahahaha. Servers never deserve a large tip based on cost of food, seriously. The tip should be based on service. Do you refill my drinks before they're full, did you offer me the special, were you able to describe the food in detail.?
That's what should get a server a good tip. Not "well, food was $200, so I should tip $40"

It's infuriating to work as a cook in a hotel, and know that the servers are making 6-800 more per week than you. The worst part is if you're working the buffet, servers literally do nothing, and still get that 15% tip. They get your drinks, and will get an automatic 4bux for everyone who gets the buffet.
so be a server, don't get all butthurt because you're getting exploited so bad by the owner

And we're talking about Alinea... No specials necessary

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

so be a server, don't get all butthurt because you're getting exploited so bad by the owner

And we're talking about Alinea... No specials necessary

Even then I wouldn't be tipping 20%. For the service I'd expect from fine dining, $40 to 50 should suffice. Do you still pay 20% if you spring for a $200 bottle of wine? I certainly wouldn't.

In the event I go somewhere that I know tips out their cooks, I certainly tip extra. But I just don't see the reason for tipping a server based on the cost of food.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 28, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

EDIT: If tip chat forbidden disregard. I can stop if need be.

Even then I wouldn't be tipping 20%. For the service I'd expect from fine dining, $40 to 50 should suffice. Do you still pay 20% if you spring for a $200 bottle of wine? I certainly wouldn't.
Okay - but you do realize that this is a fairly huge deviation from standard practice and that restaurants set up their operations based on an expectation of percentage-based tips. I mean if I were a big wine spender I'd probably calibrate though.

I mean people choose jobs and are hired and rent their apartments and plan their life with the expectation that they'll be paid a certain amount. If they did decent and you pay them less than 15% or whatever they made less than they expected to make regardless of your own feelings. That's fine and all, but your reality is definitely in conflict with theirs.

And also, we're talking about a tasting pairing where at least thirteen individual beverages are served - it would feel strange not to tip on that considering everything that has to go into that...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 28, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wasn't tip chat verboten?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Wasn't tip chat verboten?

In the industry thread.

Long and short of it: tipping is dumb, unless it supports the cook. None of this would even be an issue if labor laws weren't based around servers getting tips.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

In the industry thread.

Long and short of it: tipping is dumb, unless it supports the cook. None of this would even be an issue if labor laws weren't based around servers getting tips.

I've seen you post before but had no idea you were this much of a dumbshit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In the industry thread.

Servers are people too... I mean obviously it's not a very good job given that there's so much turnover and most people don't want to be one and restaurants have trouble getting good waiters. I don't like that you're taking out your aggression for being paid nothing on the waiters instead of the people who actually are deciding to pay you nothing. You're the one putting up with your abuse. If you're jealous of the waiters living a better lifestyle, maybe you really just think they may have made a smarter decision? And if the intangibles (working with food etc.) are better in BoH then why are you so bitter?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Servers are people too... I mean obviously it's not a very good job given that there's so much turnover and most people don't want to be one and restaurants have trouble getting good waiters. I don't like that you're taking out your aggression for being paid nothing on the waiters instead of the people who actually are deciding to pay you nothing. You're the one putting up with your abuse. If you're jealous of the waiters living a better lifestyle, maybe you really just think they may have made a smarter decision? And if the intangibles (working with food etc.) are better in BoH then why are you so bitter?

I'm not saying don't tip. Good service deserves a good reward. I'm saying don't tip based on the bill.

I get paid well for a cook, but our waiters make double what I do just because of the hotel's clientel. I have nothing against servers, I just take issue with paying a blanket 15% of whatever my bill was.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

LOOKIT THIS FUZZY LITTLE PUPKINS!

Go on, just lookit dat face.

How about snow? You like snow?

Whatever we were talking about, seems a puppy break is in order.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not saying don't tip. Good service deserves a good reward. I'm saying don't tip based on the bill.

I get paid well for a cook, but our waiters make double what I do just because of the hotel's clientel. I have nothing against servers, I just take issue with paying a blanket 15% of whatever my bill was.
This is how waiters choose their jobs and plan their lives though. They probably work way fewer tables at a very high-end restaurant so they need to get more from each client. The whole serving system is planned around being paid a percentage of the bill and that's how they choose their jobs. It's not like your waiter friends (maybe not friends) were born waiters at a hotel and just got lucky. They're only working there/at a high-end place because they're more likely to be paid more, and frankly high-end restaurants can only afford to give you better service/more staff by banking on the fact that people will tip more.

Again - you're choosing to work in a career where you get fairly consistently screwed, and they're choosing to work in a field where they have the expectation of getting paid more. That's why they're waiting. It's not some jackpot they won, because working with customers suuuuuuuucks. Ask a lot of owners and their waiters are way more valuable than most of their cooks because they're way harder to replace. So they get paid more...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 28, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I can't speak for restaurants, as I've not really worked outside of the hotel environment. But most people that work for hotels are lifers. They're there for the guaranteed raises, and benefits. Our waiters have been here 10+ years. Hell, our busser is salary capped at $20/hr, AND he gets tipped out by the waiters at the end of the day.

So yeah, restaurants are totally different and I'm really dumb, I'm just relating my experience to the situation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I can't speak for restaurants, as I've not really worked outside of the hotel environment. But most people that work for hotels are lifers. They're there for the guaranteed raises, and benefits. Our waiters have been here 10+ years. Hell, our busser is salary capped at $20/hr, AND he gets tipped out by the waiters at the end of the day.

So yeah, restaurants are totally different and I'm really dumb, I'm just relating my experience to the situation.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say you should tip better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Basically - a restaurant is structured to operate under the assumption that waiters will make a certain % of tips. If they consistently start to make less than that waiters will start to leave and go elsewhere and the restaurant will have to change its structure. Tipping the waiter as we're expected to is what enables restaurants to run the way that they run.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say you should tip better.

As long as I don't have issues with my server, I usually tip 10-15%. I think that's acceptable.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
If the waitress lets me pinch her rear end, I tip 50%. Male servers get no more than 10%, ever. Even if he's devastatingly handsome and he blows me in the bathroom before dessert. Discuss.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

As long as I don't have issues with my server, I usually tip 10-15%. I think that's acceptable.

You're an rear end in a top hat, sorry to break it to you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Almost all of the money you spend on anything usually ends up in the hands of somebody super rich who's a douchebag. The exception is restaurants and especially tipping. So it's cool to tip because it's at least one dollar of yours that's not going to some super rich scumbag.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Mediaphage, pf and I (plus spouses) went to a tasting menu place for a 5-hour, 16 course meal on NYE and by the end of it we were all completely drunk off our minds. The first course was paired with a shot of vodka and it kind of went downhill from there.

Without the pictures I think the only courses I would remember are the pickle course and the one that came with a fried squab head.

Here, remind yourself then:

dinner1
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150189990199755.311713.508529754&type=3

dinner2
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150533425109755.379648.508529754&type=3

Also I wasn't drunk. Just tipsy.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Whoever told you this is loving with you to get a rise out of you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

JetSet posted:

Whoever told you this is loving with you to get a rise out of you.

I've seen the payroll, busser has been there 15 years, he's capped at 20/hr

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

I've seen the payroll, busser has been there 15 years, he's capped at 20/hr

What I'm telling you, as a restaurant manager (in a hotel no less), is that no busser, no matter how good they are, is worth $20 an hour. I don't think you saw what you think you saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

JetSet posted:

What I'm telling you, as a restaurant manager (in a hotel no less), is that no busser, no matter how good they are, is worth $20 an hour. I don't think you saw what you think you saw.

Doesn't matter, yearly review comes around, he gets a raise. Even if you give him a poo poo raise of 2%, and you do that for 15 years, he'll salary cap. You can't fire him, and you can't not give him a raise at our establishment. We also have 3 barely decent cooks making $20/hr because they haven't been bad enough to fire over 15+ years.