Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
We finished both Yoshimitsus this weekend, juuuust in time for Otakon! Here is a bathroom myspace angle shot of Yoshi to celebrate.

Hopefully after this weekend, I will have real, honest to god pictures of these two to post.

edit: Woah, looks like the last 2 pages have started out with Yoshimitsu posts :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

We finished both Yoshimitsus this weekend, juuuust in time for Otakon! Here is a bathroom myspace angle shot of Yoshi to celebrate.

Hopefully after this weekend, I will have real, honest to god pictures of these two to post.

edit: Woah, looks like the last 2 pages have started out with Yoshimitsu posts :shobon:

poo poo, son! That's freaking AWESOME. Anyway, with 3 Yoshimitsu costumes underway up in here, it only makes sense, haha.

RazorBunny posted:

I can't tell you the number of times I've looked like I have some kind of skin disease due to being covered in various paints, glues, etc.
I've managed to keep it more or less under wraps this year so far but last year when I got to GenCon, my nails looked like I was suffering from some kind of severe fungal problem. :gonk: My last manicure before I got too busy to do my nails was China Glaze Trendsetter, a lovely mustard yellow that did not look good with streaky black paint all over it. Ewwww.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So, I'm dying to make a Batgirl costume. I've been able to sort out most of how I'm going to go about it, but there's one thing that I'm kind of afraid of.

The cowl.

I have no idea where to even start on something like that. Any suggestions, or links to tutorials that might help?

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Please tell me you'll be wearing that on Saturday. I'll be sure to come up and say hi if I see you!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Please tell me you'll be wearing that on Saturday. I'll be sure to come up and say hi if I see you!

Yes we will be :) Come say hi, we will probably be sequestered by the water fountains all morning.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I feel like a huge amateur (I am), following on the heels of all this awesome yoshimitsu stuff, but I've put some process photos of my Megaman costume on imgur. I actually have a few more to upload, since I've done some more work since this last batch.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 24, 2012

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Ughhh, this whole project might have been an amazingly stupid idea that I shouldn't be doing. Still trying to find a way to paint on Under Armour without destroying it's flexibility and shape-conformity. My body-dummy isn't exactly me-shaped, due to my helper being utterly perplexed by the entire concept, or something.

I've been doing a lot of googling to try to solve this, and so far Jones Tones is the most suggested option, but only comes in, like 5 colors and in really tiny bottles.

So I'm starting to think if I can create a hex/grid/brick pattern of unpainted space, that should maintain the stretch enough to use more common fabric paint. Which would require some kind of really consistent and thin stencil that I could put over the whole costume.

Why. Am. I. Doing. This?

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 24, 2012

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Fighting the urge to drink coffee. I still have to put masks on, but at least I have a backpack again.

The Elvis mask is also officially destroyed, and it was such a mess that I just had to throw it away. Going to just put Majora's Mask on the pack instead. One less thing for me to carry around, I guess.

Good luck to all you other goons putting in your last minute pre-con touches!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Well my friends managed to talk me out of my Tera planning which was easy as I now am debating between like five different options and still not knowing of a good con to take it to. Now apparently I am going to be completing a group from the really horrible anime called Black Rock Shooter.. I couldn't finish the first episode but they showed me the costume and I was in love.

Characters name is Black Gold Saw.

The planning is now at about four pages and a few napkins. I should actually start building it after Cammy I need to get her finished for PAX. But I am so excited about the legs. I have been armor hungry after reading all of the stuff here. Also for added self hate I want to try and make the hands work, at least bend.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

Well my friends managed to talk me out of my Tera planning which was easy as I now am debating between like five different options and still not knowing of a good con to take it to. Now apparently I am going to be completing a group from the really horrible anime called Black Rock Shooter.. I couldn't finish the first episode but they showed me the costume and I was in love.

Characters name is Black Gold Saw.

The planning is now at about four pages and a few napkins. I should actually start building it after Cammy I need to get her finished for PAX. But I am so excited about the legs. I have been armor hungry after reading all of the stuff here. Also for added self hate I want to try and make the hands work, at least bend.

Love the shoes! I haven't seen Black Rock Shooter but there seems to be some cool cosplay from it, at least.

My friend is building flexing claws for his Nightmare outfit and he did it by building a wood brace that straps onto his arm, then using tubing with slashed joints with cord threaded through to make the parts that move. That sounds really baffling so here's a picture:

You can see it best in the thumb part, that white PVC on the palm is a grip and your fingers loop through the ends of the cord, flexing the claws.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Love the shoes! I haven't seen Black Rock Shooter but there seems to be some cool cosplay from it, at least.

My friend is building flexing claws for his Nightmare outfit and he did it by building a wood brace that straps onto his arm, then using tubing with slashed joints with cord threaded through to make the parts that move. That sounds really baffling so here's a picture:

You can see it best in the thumb part, that white PVC on the palm is a grip and your fingers loop through the ends of the cord, flexing the claws.

Yes the shoes are amazing aren't they i'm planning to attach carved wood base to some heels I have had the heel removed on. And yea the show is meh, average school girl angst but with cool nightmare battle deaths. But still meh.

First I just have to say GAH!! NIGHTMARE!!! I am a warmanerd and a cryx player at that. My ultra dream costume is to either make the Harbinger or Deathjack. Secondly thanks for that now I have at least an idea of where to start!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

Yes the shoes are amazing aren't they i'm planning to attach carved wood base to some heels I have had the heel removed on. And yea the show is meh, average school girl angst but with cool nightmare battle deaths. But still meh.

First I just have to say GAH!! NIGHTMARE!!! I am a warmanerd and a cryx player at that. My ultra dream costume is to either make the Harbinger or Deathjack. Secondly thanks for that now I have at least an idea of where to start!

Different Nightmare, sorry, we're doing Soul Calibur :shobon:

And no problem, we've been having WAY too much fun playing with it already, and I don't think the structure was very hard to build!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Funny the hand structure still looked pretty similar. Though that is still extremely badass.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Here you go, you crazy weaponsmiths.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-07/working-assault-rifle-made-3-d-printer

And a link to the 3D printer. http://www.stratasys.com/

ETA: Just to clarify, I know these things have been around for ages and that this guy only made a PART of the gun on his printer, but it might be fun for small props anyway.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 27, 2012

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ughhh, this whole project might have been an amazingly stupid idea that I shouldn't be doing. Still trying to find a way to paint on Under Armour without destroying it's flexibility and shape-conformity. My body-dummy isn't exactly me-shaped, due to my helper being utterly perplexed by the entire concept, or something.

I've been doing a lot of googling to try to solve this, and so far Jones Tones is the most suggested option, but only comes in, like 5 colors and in really tiny bottles.

So I'm starting to think if I can create a hex/grid/brick pattern of unpainted space, that should maintain the stretch enough to use more common fabric paint. Which would require some kind of really consistent and thin stencil that I could put over the whole costume.

Why. Am. I. Doing. This?

They have more than a handful of colors in Jones Tones and in larger quantities: http://www.jonestones.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5

As for using it for a spiderman costume, it works well. I made my buddy his Miles Morales suit last halloween with this stuff.

A few notes about it is that it still has a tacky feel to it even when its dry. If you plan on doing a whole suit, make sure you have a stencil or some sort of guideline so all your webbing matches up from the front to the back. Another way around the shoe thing was attaching some cheap slip-on shoes after cutting open the bottom of the feet and gluing the shoes in. Granted this worked for this variation of the suit as it doesn't have the distinct separation look as the original suit has, but depending on how you build the suit, you could always make the boots this way as they're supposed to be skin tight, just with spandex attached to some cheap slip-on shoes. This is also how I made my Rogue boots as well since I couldn't see myself spending $50+ on inaccurate shoes that I'm still going to have to mod and break in.

As for the lenses, I'll ask a friend of mine who does a bunch of Spiderman costumes what he uses as I was just over there a few days ago and remember seeing the materials for lenses just out and about.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Really enjoying everyone's stuff! Very cool!

If I could ask a very basic question, you seem like the people to know. I'm going to attempt the N7 armor using the various pages already mentioned, but I'd like to get your opinion on glue. I see gorilla glue and hot glue mentioned, those seem to be the 'go to' items for sticky. Can you shape with the heat gun after you glue on the pieces, or do you need to get the shaping done before you start tacking things on? I'm thinking of the chest plate specifically, since it's area it pretty large.

TL;DR what glues would you recommend and can I shape the chest piece for better fit after things are glued on?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I hated working with Gorilla Glue and foam. It adheres really well, but it puffs up as it sets, and it resulted in some pieces not being straight. I also think it stinks terribly.

Hot glue works beautifully. My friend who is doing N7 armor is using industrial hot glue, which seems to be working for her. I actually use regular ole craft hot glue for my foam projects and it's fine, but I end up using more.

Heat shaping after gluing works great with hot glue, but I have no idea about the Gorilla Glue. I would be skeptical, it dries quite hard. Hot glue will re-liquefy if it's heated up, but the pieces don't seem to shift. My only issue was I had two pieces with some excess glue in between them and when I heated it back up the excess squirted out and burned me :rolleyes:

If you're going to do any of this I definitely recommend a pair of leather-palmed or dipped heat resistant gloves. A snug fit is better, so you have more tactile control. I use Mechanix gloves that fit very slim to my hands and allow me to do fine detail without burning myself. The hot glue sticks to the leather a little bit but after it cools you can just rub them together and it comes right off. Definitely better than having it on your skin.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Those are great tips, thank you. Also, I'm thinking of purchasing a soldering iron with a hot knife attachment for cutting this stuff. Am I more likely to find them stocked at Lowes/Home Depot or a craft store like Michaels/AC Moore?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I would buy from a hardware store rather than a craft store. Some items seem to suffer from the "craft store markup" and hot knives are one of them. The models they sell at Michaels are inferior in just about every way, and they cost way more. Plus, all they are is a hot knife - a combo set is useful for other things, like soldering and wood burning.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
I want to try making myself an iron man costume out of eva foam but I really have no clue what thickness or density to buy. I've found an aus site that can supply all different densities and I wanted a more experienced opionion on what to get. I was thinking of either high density foam at 2mm thick or medium density at 4mm thick?

Here's the site if you were willing to take a look.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Well, I just lit my apartment on fire for the first time while costuming! Fortunately, the apartment, my body, and my costume are all ok, just a few char marks on my vacuum form blocks! :D

Edit: DYING OF JOY. Look at my spear pieces that my friend lathed for me! I made the blade myself.

I just can't get over it, they are PERFECT. I had just decided to say gently caress it and bullshit the top and bottom cuff but then I discovered that my friend's dad has a lathe and they made these beautiful things for me. Seriously dying!! So happy!

Also, I made this and vacuum formed it!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 31, 2012

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Soo, I've got plans to build the SEVA suit from the STALKER series. Don't know what I'm going to with it, probably Comic Con and walking with my little sister on Halloween.

I'm going to be ordering some Flecktarn pattern German uniforms to match the colors the faction called Freedom has. This is the suit I'm going to be building.

And the rear view of an early model of it, just so I can show off the back.

I'm going to buy this uniform, with matching pants. Its a lot busier than the suit pictured, but its a good match since the rest of the faction wears this style of camouflage.

I'm going to be putting some CPU fans that blow in from the green circles on the backpack into the hoses attached to the helmet so I'll have an authentic life support system, since i expect it to get very hot. I'm not sure if its a dumb idea, but it sounds good in my head.

My biggest issue is how in the world do I make a tinted silver faceplate that you can't see into, but can see out of. I have a clear acrylic lamp post globe that I plan to cut to a visor shape. Wouldn't automotive tinting crinkle and look like crap on surface that sharply curved?

I'd also like to make the Gauss rifle to complete it but that isn't my highest priority.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I'll have to make something to keep the hood rigid so I don't have the faceplate flopping all over in my face. Could a bike helmet work?

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 31, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
McPantserton, those look sooo good. Can't wait to see your SC cosplay.

SPEAKING OF SC COSPLAY, here are some pics from a photoshoot we did last weekend, with our Yoshimitsus!!:

SO GLAD these pictures came out well, because wearing that guy was hell and I almost passed out. After about an hour I was done, and nothing in the world could get me to put that helmet back on. Sorry Yoshi :(

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

McPantserton, those look sooo good. Can't wait to see your SC cosplay.

SPEAKING OF SC COSPLAY, here are some pics from a photoshoot we did last weekend, with our Yoshimitsus!!:

SO GLAD these pictures came out well, because wearing that guy was hell and I almost passed out. After about an hour I was done, and nothing in the world could get me to put that helmet back on. Sorry Yoshi :(

They look AMAZING! Especially that split face mask, good lord. My boyfriend is really irritated that you have pictures up before he finished his costume, incidentally, he's convinced that his won't be as good as yours now, haha! Seriously, great job!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
HOLY poo poo :psyduck:

That looks absolutely incredible!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Thanks guys :shobon: Not gonna lie, I was worried about disappointing this thread when I was working on the costumes, because the level of talent everyone has is so high. It definitely motivated me to do my absolute best.

I cannot wait to see your Yoshimitsu!

edit: I feel like I need to add, the reason there is so much visible hot glue is because we had a day-of-con crisis where the glue that was already on started to melt in my car on the way there :( We had to emergency hot glue the masks back together in the hotel room...

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 4, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Thanks guys :shobon: Not gonna lie, I was worried about disappointing this thread when I was working on the costumes, because the level of talent everyone has is so high. It definitely motivated me to do my absolute best.

I cannot wait to see your Yoshimitsu!

edit: I feel like I need to add, the reason there is so much visible hot glue is because we had a day-of-con crisis where the glue that was already on started to melt in my car on the way there :( We had to emergency hot glue the masks back together in the hotel room...

That sucks!! I had that with some wonderflex last year and it was harrowing. But I didn't notice until you mentioned it, no lie.

My boyfriend wants to know what you made your wood arm out of! He hasn't decided how to do his yet.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Both are made out of foam/posterboard. The faux wood finish on the red Yoshimitsu is this faux wood grain vinyl sticker paper that we found in Home Depot called 'shelf liner' or similar. I think the kind that people use to make faux wood grain car interiors would have been a better choice, but we ran out of time to order any.

The vinyl we did use did not stick well and had to be glued on, so it's a pain in the rear end. I heard the car-interior kind sticks better and can be heated to curve around corners without wrinkles, so if you have the time to order some and give it a try, I would go for that.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

That's effin' incredible. Didn't even notice the glue dripping on the mask because the mask itself is so drat good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I am absolutely amazed at your craftsmanship!! Amazing job!!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I was just sent an inquiry to make a costume from a video game. Firefox Ahri is the character. I know some of you folks do work for other people- what do you normally charge for that kind of work? It seems like it could be a fairly detailed project and my inclination is to quote a higher price than I might for a more standard Halloween project. I'm not terribly familiar with the Cosplay community so I just want to get a better idea I guess of the standard pricing for costumes outside of the stuff you find on cosplay.com.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Buddy of mine charges $500 to put together a pre-made kit of a Stormtrooper but this kind of thing really depends on how much you value your time.

If you think your time is worth $40 and hour that's how much you should charge.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Alternatively you can charge him/her time and materials with a not to exceed.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
I have a quick question. I'm planning to do an outfit with EL wire for PAX(specialist gang member from Saints Row 3), from tutorials I've read I need a heat gun for the shrink wrap tubing stuff. Could I just you a hair drier set on high instead of a heat gun? I am broke :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Unfortunately hair dryers have a governor built in that prevents them from getting very hot, because you get serious burns otherwise.

My heat gun was only $25. You might be able to find one even cheaper or free on Craiglist or Freecycle - some people buy them to strip paint as part of a home improvement project and then don't need them anymore.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Psychobabble! posted:

I have a quick question. I'm planning to do an outfit with EL wire for PAX(specialist gang member from Saints Row 3), from tutorials I've read I need a heat gun for the shrink wrap tubing stuff. Could I just you a hair drier set on high instead of a heat gun? I am broke :(

I just started a PAX thread! Do you know of anyone that has room in their hotel? I can pay!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499845

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
You guys :woop: My cosplay group got accepted to run a panel at GeekKon this year! I'm absurdly pleased even through the intense stress and exhaustion involved in having to get my poo poo ready for GenCon, which is in a paltry 10 days oh my god. I am dying.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Both are made out of foam/posterboard. The faux wood finish on the red Yoshimitsu is this faux wood grain vinyl sticker paper that we found in Home Depot called 'shelf liner' or similar. I think the kind that people use to make faux wood grain car interiors would have been a better choice, but we ran out of time to order any.

The vinyl we did use did not stick well and had to be glued on, so it's a pain in the rear end. I heard the car-interior kind sticks better and can be heated to curve around corners without wrinkles, so if you have the time to order some and give it a try, I would go for that.

That is clever as hell!! He's not sure if he's going to do a wood finish or go for a more metallic look instead, but if he goes for wood, he's doing it like you did. Smart!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Psychobabble! posted:

My husband has done a few EL wire things and usually just uses a lighter for the shrink wrap tubing.

CoolNeon.com is a great company has a bunch of tutorial videos that are very detailed. http://www.coolneon.com/el-wire-soldering/

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 6, 2012

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

Psychobabble! posted:

I've worked with EL wire a few times myself, what are you using the heat shrink tubing for? If your just covering the wire electrical tape works too, just not as clean/pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I just started a PAX thread! Do you know of anyone that has room in their hotel? I can pay!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499845

Glad you found a room and will probably see you there. I am bummed I can't bring anything really awesome this year to PAX I feel like it's a con to go all out, but it would make my grabbing free poo poo harder and all planes and costumes probably not a great idea.

Anyone else from this thread going to the giant gaming convention?