Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

obeyasia posted:

I just want a turbo AWD roadster with a 6 speed that could be a Subaru idc, is that so much to ask?

EDIT: Don't you dare say Audi TT.

Get cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Also, my dog slides around on leather seats, for some reason.
I'm cheerily waiting for the ST to become available, myself. Going to wait for the primary surge of demand to vanish, so the price dips below MSRP, so I'm thinking December at the earliest. But hey, as long as I can annoy BMW drivers with my V6 Camry, I'm happy.

When I preordered mine, I got it under MSRP...

Endless Mike posted:

I *think* the stereos are the same between the ST2 and ST3, just that the ST3 adds nav, but it looks like it can be added for $795 (which I would assume is OEM nav addition and not an improved stereo).

I think so too, but ST2 is MyFord while ST3 is MyFord Touch.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Reposting from the Toyabaru thread:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I cant find any other sources besides that, and its not the best source for automotive news (considering i saw it linked on facebook on my phone, searched the webpage for that exact title and got no results doesnt help either)

nothing on the bigger blogs either.

eames
May 9, 2009

The new Mini John Cooper Works GP did the Nürburgring in 8:23 which seems quite respectable for a Mini. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bep9HUMb18Q

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 16, 2012

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

Laserface posted:

I cant find any other sources besides that, and its not the best source for automotive news (considering i saw it linked on facebook on my phone, searched the webpage for that exact title and got no results doesnt help either)

nothing on the bigger blogs either.

Here you go: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1207_nissan_working_on_mini_z_to_target_frs_brz/

If the rendering on there is accurate, that's a pretty sexy-looking car.

Edit: Hmm, on closer look, I see both stories are by the same reporter (Peter Lyon). But I guess at least Motor Trend is also running with the story. They've had it up for 10 days already.

MN-Ghost fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 27, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

discstickers posted:

When I preordered mine, I got it under MSRP...

I think so too, but ST2 is MyFord while ST3 is MyFord Touch.
I, too, got mine under MSRP.

And ST2 is also MyFord Touch. Only ST1 has MyFord.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

MN-Ghost posted:

So its a Juke with a coupe body, I really like this idea. The AWD juke is pretty fun car to drive.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The Juke has a transverse engine. This car should be longitudinal, being RWD. It's possible it will receiving a better (read: rear-biased) AWD system than the Juke, which would be pretty cool.

Having owned a Suzuki SX4 AWD, I'm bitter toward front-biased AWD systems. They're great for straight lines and really loose stuff, but they're not good through corners on pavement. Also the "center diff" (clutch pack between prop shaft and rear diff) wears out pretty quick under hard driving on pavement.

e: Oh, it's FWD/AWD. Gonna suck.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MN-Ghost posted:

Here you go: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1207_nissan_working_on_mini_z_to_target_frs_brz/

Edit: Hmm, on closer look, I see both stories are by the same reporter (Peter Lyon). But I guess at least Motor Trend is also running with the story. They've had it up for 10 days already.

The chances of that rendering being accurate are exceedingly low. It's a third-party photoshopped rendering that has absolutely zero to do with Nissan beyond being a wild guess. It's far more likely to look like the Compact Sports Concept from 2011, which is basically styled like a slightly stretched Nissan Micra. It's basically the Scirocco equivalent but for the Versa instead of a Golf. Which is also why they might not bring it to the US at all.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The (actual) concept above is hilariously ugly. Good lord Nissan, do you have no shame?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

The (actual) concept above is hilariously ugly. Good lord Nissan, do you have no shame?

It's no more ugly than the Mini Coupe, and they put that into production. Of course, that was BMW, which also approved poo poo like the Granturismo models and the X6.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Doesn't the rental-spec trim have a manumatic mode? I do know that it's a (dry-plate) DSG.

Hell if I know, it has no owners manual but appears to be a 2012 Focus SEL from Budget. I did see the S mode and drive it around that way and it does act like much more aggressively and holds downshifts. I'd basically always drive it in that mode if I owned it. Good little car.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Endless Mike posted:

I, too, got mine under MSRP.

And ST2 is also MyFord Touch. Only ST1 has MyFord.

Okay, lemme rephrase. I'm waiting till it shows up in the USAA car buying gizmo thing cause I want to try that out. It showed up in the Edmunds car buying gizmo last week, so I'm hoping it's soon.

Is there a thread about selling your old car to the dealer, by the way? I always get so annoyed by that. "We have our own book." (Kelly Blue Book values are irrelevant) "Volkswagen is stopping making that Beetle." (in 1995. No, no, they didn't.) (Yes, I owned a New Beetle. It was the most rational choice at the time.)

I kind of like the Nissan Mini-Z. It needs a big license plate in the back to put a penny in, though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Is there a thread about selling your old car to the dealer, by the way?

Generally, you're going to get MUCH more money for your car selling it private party. Dealers will never give you fair market value for your trade-in, especially if it is in good condition. They're going to turn around and sell/auction it, and they want to make money on it. If you're getting a "good deal" on your trade-in, chances are they're screwing you on the price/financing of your new car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kenshin posted:

Oh hey look, Nissan doesn't understand what it wants to compete with! Lightweight, RWD, 2 seat coupe? I know! Let's make a lightweight FWD coupe! If someone wants the true performance version, they can get the heavy as gently caress AWD option and get destroyed by the car we're targeting.

Fantastic idea, I hope Nissan's CEO gets a multi-million dollar bonus this year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's like a Peugeot RCZ, more than a Toyobaru.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VikingSkull posted:

Oh hey look, Nissan doesn't understand what it wants to compete with! Lightweight, RWD, 2 seat coupe? I know! Let's make a lightweight FWD coupe!

I think both rear seats in these cars would be equally unusable. Present, though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh yeah, the FR-S is a 2+2 huh? :doh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VikingSkull posted:

Oh yeah, the FR-S is a 2+2 huh? :doh:

More like 2+2, from what I've seen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont understand why people make such a big deal out of it, every Japanese coupe since the late 80s has had basically-useless rear seats. its not like its a new thing.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Just think of it as rear cabin storage space, not real seats.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not even Japanese cars. My '89 XJS had useless rear seats too.

It had a V-12 though so it only really mattered if it had a drivers seat.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

law abiding rapist posted:

Just think of it as rear cabin storage space, not real seats.

Still more useable than the SC430.

Oooooor the Jag XK.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Both are still better than the rear of the '74 911 I grew up in. Talk about 'a very uncomfortable place'. Worse than a VW Bug.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Warcabbit posted:

Both are still better than the rear of the '74 911 I grew up in. Talk about 'a very uncomfortable place'. Worse than a VW Bug.

Yeah but at least you got to grow up in a 911. My mom had a Plymouth Horizon.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I grew up as a young goon riding in my Mom's 1974 BMW 2002 which my crazy old man bought in 1975 from the used car lot in Monterey he was working at. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Ha, are you my brother?

You know the back seat is small when a fourthgen Camaro feels downright roomy by comparison.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

CornHolio posted:

Yeah but at least you got to grow up in a 911. My mom had a Plymouth Horizon.

I don't think you understand, man. If you're in the back seat of a 911, there's nowhere to grow up _in_. Hm. You know, back seats did get a lot larger... you think around the time of 'cab forward' styling, when the cars stretched out to around the wheels?

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
The backseat of a 968 is pretty terrible; the back of a 996 is roomier.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, are you my brother?

You know the back seat is small when a fourthgen Camaro feels downright roomy by comparison.

I grew up in the back of a third gen Camaro, not a real treat to ride in either.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I nominate the Peugeot 206 convertible.

Meanwhile I think Mazda is on a winner with the new 6. It has a samurai helmet feel to the rear end.

Here for more:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/6/59404/new-mazda-6-preview-pictures/page/3/0#main-content-area

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tobu posted:

Meanwhile I think Mazda is on a winner with the new 6. It has a samurai helmet feel to the rear end.

Here for more:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/6/59404/new-mazda-6-preview-pictures/page/3/0#main-content-area

Those taillights are gorgeous, I'm getting a major FD vibe from them.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Oooooor the Jag XK.

Jesus, I'm assuming those are there simply for insurance savings? Then again I don't think the main demographic for this car gives a gently caress about savings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There appears to be a certain subset of people who would never think of buying something as crass & common as a 2 seater, yet almost never have more than 1 person in the car, never more than 2. The Jag fits the bill perfectly.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

travisray2004 posted:

Jesus, I'm assuming those are there simply for insurance savings? Then again I don't think the main demographic for this car gives a gently caress about savings.

You'd be surprised. Some of the biggest "gently caress your tip, I worked hard for this money" are people with fancy cars. I hear if you're detailing cars, a WRX or Audi owner is more likely to give you a $20 tip than a dude with a brand new Aston/Lamborghini/Jag.

This is coming from the highest end detail shop in Wa state. Maybe it's because most of the money is tech money, and engineers are assholes about their wealth for the most part.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

There appears to be a certain subset of people who would never think of buying something as crass & common as a 2 seater, yet almost never have more than 1 person in the car, never more than 2. The Jag fits the bill perfectly.

The other day I saw an XK-8 tooling around with a massive St. Bernard sitting in the back seat. It was taller than both the humans in the front and the windshield by half a foot. I guess there can be use for those seats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Some dude on Facebook says that Focus ST3s won't hit production until early Q4. ST1 and ST2 are running right now, though. Booooooo!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Some dude on Facebook says that Focus ST3s won't hit production until early Q4. ST1 and ST2 are running right now, though. Booooooo!

I guess the first batch of HID's were melting plastic?

I signed up for the 'driving acadamy' thing that Ford is doing with the Focus here in Los Angeles, but haven't got a confirmation email saying I could come. I'm disappointed. In the end though I probably won't buy this car only because my current use for my car is to drive about 4-5k miles a year to and from work, and my current car will almost certainly last me 3 - 5 more years with minimal maintenance while I pay off my Prius which sees more like 17k miles a year. [crazy boring to drive but I get 52mpg on average over the first 4k miles].

Has anyone else done the driving acadamy thing with ford for the ST? The LA one is at Dodger Stadium, which sounds like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tijag posted:

Has anyone else done the driving acadamy thing with ford for the ST? The LA one is at Dodger Stadium, which sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, I did the DC event. It was fun, but you'll spend more time waiting in line than actually driving.