Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tulip posted:

What if it doesn't matter that coyote doesn't exist because nothing exists all reality is an illusion:catdrugs:

This whole time it was ANNIE that was dying the hospital, not her mom! In her coma she dreamed up this whole "gunnerkrigg court" and everyone she knew! :lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Coyote, the god and being that has been interacting with Antimony and other characters, does not exist because he has given all of himself away to others.

Coyote is the Forest, so he probably created part of it, giving up various parts of his "form" or "body."

He might have also made the moon? Meaning that he can move it around and such.

I can't find the quote, but I think somewhere Coyote said that he loses access to a "power" when he gives it to a being, so when he gave Ysengrin power over the trees, he lost power over the trees. Probably stuff along the lines of creating the Bounds Dogs and things. And when he gave Reynardine the ability to take bodies, he lost that as well. The same would go for parts of his body. Give a shadow man a leg, an anwyn an arm, bones for trees, laughter for wind, etc. etc., lose those parts of himself as well.

Why the given powers are weaker is still a mystery.

Coyote just keeps giving people parts of himself. That's why he was so paranoid about the Forest dwellers finding out he had given ANOTHER bit of himself to a person from the Court. It's not just betrayal, it's also weakening Coyote to the point of powerlessness, and apparently existencelessness.

So Coyote only exists as the spirit of Gillitie Forest.

There are some holes, but it's probably something along these lines.

life_source fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 28, 2012

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Welp. I decided I'd finally give this a read since MSPA is on hiatus, and I blew through it in like three days despite not really liking the first few chapters due to Annie looking like a Bratz doll. Great comic. Reynard is adorable, Kat is awesome, everything is rad, the end. Now I get to wait for updates like the rest of the proles.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welcome, friend. The line to swap out your avatar forms to the left.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If humans and their belief really is responsible for Coyote (and, maybe by extension, all "etheric" creatures), then it would dovetail nicely with the Court being an attempt by man to "become God." Maybe it's a way to harness and redirect that power of belief, so that the "magical" part of the world dies out and leaves only man and their new, limitless powers of creation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

life_source posted:

Coyote, the god and being that has been interacting with Antimony and other characters, does not exist because he has given all of himself away to others.

Coyote is the Forest, so he probably created part of it, giving up various parts of his "form" or "body."

He might have also made the moon? Meaning that he can move it around and such.

I can't find the quote, but I think somewhere Coyote said that he loses access to a "power" when he gives it to a being, so when he gave Ysengrin power over the trees, he lost power over the trees. Probably stuff along the lines of creating the Bounds Dogs and things. And when he gave Reynardine the ability to take bodies, he lost that as well. The same would go for parts of his body. Give a shadow man a leg, an anwyn an arm, bones for trees, laughter for wind, etc. etc., lose those parts of himself as well.

Why the given powers are weaker is still a mystery.

Coyote just keeps giving people parts of himself. That's why he was so paranoid about the Forest dwellers finding out he had given ANOTHER bit of himself to a person from the Court. It's not just betrayal, it's also weakening Coyote to the point of powerlessness, and apparently existencelessness.

So Coyote only exists as the spirit of Gillitie Forest.

There are some holes, but it's probably something along these lines.

this is smart and makes a lot of sense

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Macaluso posted:

Jeez Elgamore get OVER it

So does this mean Reynardine doesn't exist, either? I mean, being cousins and all...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Annie use Slap attack. It was not very effective. :v:

Now I'm really wondering how the next one will look.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Someone's fishing for a lawsuit.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Macaluso posted:

Jeez Elgamore get OVER it

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

So does this mean Reynardine doesn't exist, either? I mean, being cousins and all...

Parts Kit posted:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Going down that road, then?

Or alternatively.

It'll be interesting to see how Ysengrin, Renard, and Kat (as the divine bird robot lady) play in this whole thing if Coyote doesn't really exist.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I don't know why any of you are taking ANYTHING Coyote says at face value. :v:

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Geomancing posted:

I don't know why any of you are taking ANYTHING Coyote says at face value. :v:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=368

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Why lie, when the truth is so much more fun?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

There's a difference between not lying and being up front and honest.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cthulhuchan posted:

Why lie, when the truth is so much more fun?
What if lying is more fun?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Where's the animated gif someone made of the last three panels of this page because that was pretty much my reaction to this revelation.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Read through Gunnerkrigg Court yesterday, good comic good comic. Gonna keep it on the burner along with MSPA and other poo poo like that. I wonder why it took me so long to finally read it, it's very good and entertaining and has words and syllables and I am a very simple man.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Wow I just marathoned this whole comic over the past few hours and it's just incredible! I don't even know where to begin! The art, the story, the characters... it's just all so good!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That statement was so vague that I'm going to wait for the next page before I even bother trying to speculate on what it means.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
As some others have said, I believe that this reveal is going to continue with Coyote explaining that his existence is predicated upon human belief. Through their belief and story-telling, humans have given form and power to the Coyote myth. Keep in mind that Coyote says this secret is the reason he loves humans so much. Creating and empowering him are sure reasons for him to be thankful. Some of the other theories here, like the one about him giving aspects of himself away until he doesn't exist, don't really jibe with the secret being the reason why Coyote loves humanity.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

http://i.imgur.com/TSNNn.png

Parts Kit posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ovOht.jpg

These are the best, you guys are the best :swoon:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
"Welp, didn't see that one coming" is exactly what I had to post to the comments when that page went up. I think I may need to grab a version of the 3rd panel as a new avatar.

Edit: oh yeah and I don't see why everyone takes that one page with Jones saying Coyote never lies as gold either, seeing as Jone's own true nature is highly obscured and Coyote calling her 'wandering eye' suggests to me she is like some rogue agent of Coyote's own form, given his (non?) abundance of eyes available.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 30, 2012

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
Annie doesn't follow

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And now it's time for Coyote to explain everything.

I'm going to go make some popcorn.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That man's Jimmy Jims

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, this is going... somewhere.

Time to settle in, I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah, I love how Annie's reaction is the opposite of everything from the last few pages. "This is stupid, I'm going home."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Coyote is going to obliterate the 4th wall by telling Annie how the Native American myth of the Coyote and the European myths of Reinardus the Fox and Ysengrimus the Wolf then explain how thousands of years later a webcomic artist used them is his webcomic and how Annie herself is just a character then GC will end.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like we're going for the "what existence I have is only sustained by people telling stories about me" explanation.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Jeez, the art on this page is gorgeous. I love the color work on the last two panels (and in this comic in general). Can't wait to see more pages rendered in Coyote story-vision.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
This does seem to be going for a "gods are only real and powerful to the degree that people think they are", but I suspect this is not just quantitative but qualitative. Now-a-days, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who genuinely believes in a supernatural coyote trickster spirit. Yet you can certainly find people who are aware of Coyote as...

...a MYTHOLOGICAL FIGURE,

...or a SYMBOL,

...or a STORY CHARACTER,

...or a STORYTELLER,

...or an ENTERTAINMENT.

Notice how, through the comic's entire run, Coyote hasn't really done any of the fantastic things attributed to him, only told stories about them?

It's not that she knows because it's true, but rather that it's true because she knows. If "ideas are bulletproof" like V says, they're also infinitely malleable based on the people who hold them.

Antimony may always be the last to know anything, but she's no dummy. She can read between the lines of what Coyote specifically requests to see why he specifically requests it:

And being the semi-ethereal Wunderkind she is,

she's probably already had an inkling of Coyote's nature for a while now. No wonder his song-and-dance routine leaves her so blasé.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Notice how, through the comic's entire run, Coyote hasn't really done any of the fantastic things attributed to him, only told stories about them?
Well, he did juggle his eyeballs, and there was the thing with the Moon.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

There's also the whole matter of his tooth, which seems to be incredibly powerful as well.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Also he threw a guy through a pillar in the court.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
And he gave a fox and a wolf fantastic supernatural powers

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Boo hoo! Soon I will be in the belly of the Coyote so that it may run and laugh another day!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RickoniX posted:

And he gave a fox and a wolf fantastic supernatural powers

Well they were a fantastic supernatural fox and a wolf to begin with.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hope it's not the sustained-by-belief route. It was old hat when Black & White came out. I think Tom has something more interesting planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Aren't you paying attention he's sustained by dead dudes