Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a pair of Reebok pro stock gloves from the 2011 AHL all star game that I dont use. The palms feel great but the over all fit is too snug and I hate how drat bulky they are. I feel like I have robot hands.

Eastons feel like I just have nothing on. Way more flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My top hand is wearing out more than my bottom hand.. I assume because I grip tighter with that hand, and it's constantly rubbing on hockey tape. Hockey tape isn't exactly sandpaper, but it's certainly more wear than bare wood.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I try to use less sticky tape on the top hand because I noticed that when I was running really tacky tape, the adhesive would get into the leather and gently caress with the palm creating more friction and wearing the palm faster.

I also like to use very little tape, gives me better feel on the stick, 2 layers max. I like to add a small butt end consisting of about half of the tapes width or about 1/2 inch and then I roll it over into the hollow of the stick (I dont put a plug in my sticks).

I would really like to try to make some sort of rounded butt plug (?) I've seen some retarded crooked handle but I just want something that is smoother and wont kill my gloves.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used scotch tape on the end of my stick for a while. Sure it looks ghetto, but I've never had any problems with it wearing my glove out.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Yeah I also wrap some clear hockey tape around the knob of tape at the end of my stick just to keep wear down on my gloves

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I went to the local stick and puck yesterday, expecting to be the only person there around noon on a weekday. Instead I ended up playing pickup with two teams of 15 plus, with the average age being around 17. Little bastards dragged me up and down the ice for two hours. Currently planting a lawn so I can tell them to get off of it.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Ryan Whitney posted on twitter today about a dream he has frequently and I thought it was interesting because I have the same dream all the drat time. I was wondering now how common it was: You're late for a game and you just can't seem to get your equipment on for some reason. Like it just won't go on.

Oh, and as far as the hockey player/fan - S.T.E.M. discussion, i'm an electrical engineering major approximately one week from receiving my B.S.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have one all the time where I get there and realize I'm missing one shinguard, one skate or something. By the time I go home and get it and come back, the game is almost over.

toxicsunset posted:

Oh, and as far as the hockey player/fan - S.T.E.M. discussion, i'm an electrical engineering major approximately one week from receiving my B.S.

Sup fellow EE. Prepare yourself for not using anything you learned in school in the real world :hf:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have one all the time where I get there and realize I'm missing one shinguard, one skate or something. By the time I go home and get it and come back, the game is almost over.

Yeah, that too. Same thing really, in principle. Mine specifically is usually my skates. ones missing, or I just cant get them on for the life of me.

quote:

Sup fellow EE. Prepare yourself for not using anything you learned in school in the real world

Oh trust me, I know. My dad's an EE and I've worked with EE's for a while now. Still, it's fun. I'd like to get into industrial engineering, PLC programming and the like. It's what I'm good at. Electronics stuff not so much my forte.

Edit: Are you trying to tell me Green's Theorem isn't practical? What if I stumble upon two line integrals that I need to relate?!

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 27, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I almost never remember dreams. The last one was a few months ago where I was driving somewhere, took a wrong turn, and decided the best way to turn around was crank the handbrake. Except I was worried I didn't have enough speed to actually swing the rear end around, and never actually did it.

:iiam:

I guess the lack of hockey content in dreams means I don't play enough.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
It's also worth noting that of the 5 engineers I've worked with here, all 5 have been huge hockey fans. Mostly though they're from Detroit and therefor filthy Red Wing fans.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Almost no one likes hockey where I work. I'll see the occasional Sharks tshirt here and there, but for the most part, it's quite disappointing.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
EE 4 LYFE

WINGS ARE THE BEST.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Literally no one likes hockey where I work. I'll see the occasional Sharks tshirt here and there, but for the most part, it's quite disappointing.

In the engineering room they have a whiteboard for a "message of the day" kind of thing. It gets interesting during hockey playoffs. The last hockey-related message on it said "Wings vs. Pens Round 3: Tee off @ 9:30" though. There's more hockey talk around here than football talk which is pretty significant in Pittsburgh

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
After playing three seasons in the E (lowest) division (with increasing success each year) my team this season moved up to the D-south division. Obviously the teams are better and more coordinated, but the lack of ringers makes the games more enjoyable. It's almost like all the people in this division actually belong in this division.

As the S.T.E.M. conversation goes, I'm a software engineer, but also on my team are a brain surgeon, a dentist, and a lab technician.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

EE 4 LYFE

WINGS ARE THE BEST.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hockey players, Smart Jocks!

Until the concussions start rolling in.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I almost never remember dreams. The last one was a few months ago where I was driving somewhere, took a wrong turn, and decided the best way to turn around was crank the handbrake. Except I was worried I didn't have enough speed to actually swing the rear end around, and never actually did it.

:iiam:

I guess the lack of hockey content in dreams means I don't play enough.

I had a dream earlier this week where I got smashed into the boards by a girl I know and then we made out on the ice. I'm not quite sure where either of our helmets went, but they were off p much as soon as we were laying on the ice. Also, this girl isn't even a hockey player (but at least is a huge fan).

In summary - Lots of recent bad dates lead to awful teenager-syle dreams.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Most hockey players are as dumb as a box of rocks. It's the posting on an internet forum that is the difference.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 27, 2012

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sellouts posted:

Most hockey players are as dumb as a box of rocks. It's the posting on an internet forum that is the difference.

We already took sample bias into account. Now I'm just being silly.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Red Wings forever.

Accountant here who just needs to send in my application for my CPA license. I also program for fun! Sample bias indeed...

On vacation and missing hockey this week. Luckily I was the only goal in our 1-0 win last week and am still glowing from break-away magic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Red Wings forever.

Accountant here who just needs to send in my application for my CPA license. I also program for fun! Sample bias indeed...

On vacation and missing hockey this week. Luckily I was the only goal in our 1-0 win last week and am still glowing from break-away magic.

Breakaway game-winner buddy :hf:

Still pumped from mine too.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

Still pumped from mine too.

Neither of you will know the feeling of stone walling the final shooter in a shootout, to get the win.

:black101::cry:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VendaGoat posted:

Neither of you will know the feeling of stone walling the final shooter in a shootout, to get the win.

I have. :manning::respek::manning:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

I know about being on the other end of that. gently caress youuuuuu :argh:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I know about being on the other end of that. gently caress youuuuuu :argh:

And you'll never know the feeling of letting your entire team down, by blowing the save.
:cry::smith:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey, are any of you Pittsburgh goons playing in that E League out at Warrendale that got mentioned like way earlier in this thread? If so we should meet up or whatever. Actually we should just have a Pittsburgh hockey meetup anyway.

Also I pulled my groin last night (at the tryout thing for that league) and holy gently caress it hurts to move. Anyone have tips for caring for a pulled groin?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Look Around You posted:

Hey, are any of you Pittsburgh goons playing in that E League out at Warrendale that got mentioned like way earlier in this thread? If so we should meet up or whatever. Actually we should just have a Pittsburgh hockey meetup anyway.

This weekend we should! ;)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Topoisomerase posted:

This weekend we should! ;)
yeah. Have it this weekend while I'm in town but busy all weekend with family stuff. :argh:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

real_scud posted:

yeah. Have it this weekend while I'm in town but busy all weekend with family stuff. :argh:

Who cares about family when you have us goons? :v:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

real_scud posted:

Well I'm going back to Cali on Tuesday!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Also I pulled my groin last night (at the tryout thing for that league) and holy gently caress it hurts to move. Anyone have tips for caring for a pulled groin?

I ended up on Team 7

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Perani's warehouse sale kinda sucked this year. I'm so cheap. I was going to get a S13 85 flex--because all mine are 100 and I wanted something I could unload a wrist shot quicker with--but didn't get it even though it was only $60.

The one thing I really wanted, to further show how cheap I am, was the deal they have on tape every year--10 rolls for $10. This year it's 10 for $20 BUT you get 3 free hack jobs skate sharpenings. No thanks.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think I am on touch of grey again. I just made us lose the championship game by letting in a goal with 20 seconds left. Gonna kill myself probably. I'll be wearing 24.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Did you guys get emails? I haven't gotten one yet if so.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Did you guys get emails? I haven't gotten one yet if so.

The guy who drafted the team I'm on emailed me, I guess its up to them if they want to do that or not. I'm not sure if Bill will end up sending out an email too at one point or not. Heading out there tonight though for the 7:40 pickup.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
It seems to me as though the barriers to entry have gone up sharply in the past 20 years or so. When I play with older guys (40s/50s), they tend to come from all walks of life, guys in everything from law and finance, to drywall and wiring, to just plain unemployed. If it's a skate that leans towards the 20s and early 30s crowd, a larger proportion tends to be college educated. I've noticed regional variations, too. Hockey has a stronger blue collar streak in traditional markets, such as Minnesota and New England, but has a more affluent tinge in places where it's more recently gained traction.

Don't know if this cuts any mustard with the physical sciences crowd, but I'm in history of physics.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 29, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Well I'm going back to Cali on Tuesday!

We should definitely try to meet up before Tuesday then. Would Sunday or Monday be better for you guys?

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Hey fellow hockey enthusiasts. I just recently started getting into actually playing hockey, and have been taking lessons for the past year or so. The game is a ton of fun and I only have limited experience only shooting pucks and skating at early AM stick-and-pucks and weekend lessons. I'm 23 and live in North Virginia and skate at the local ice rink 5 minutes down the street. I can skate fairly well, except my transitions turning to the right are awful, but I'm slowly getting better at hockey stopping with my left foot so I'm hoping the transition will get way easier after I get more comfortable stopping with that foot.
I pretty much go to work full-time and school part-time, so I'm constantly making hockey equipment purchases I don't need or buying gear way above my playing level. I am developing a problem. :smith:

I love crack this game, I get jealous just reading about the amount of full games you guys play in and the stories that come from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

The guy who drafted the team I'm on emailed me, I guess its up to them if they want to do that or not. I'm not sure if Bill will end up sending out an email too at one point or not. Heading out there tonight though for the 7:40 pickup.

I just got an email a few minutes ago. Apparently I am on Team 7 as well, so I guess we'll be meeting soon regardless. I don't think I'm goony enough to actually stairs anyone though, so we'll have to find out each others' real life identities in a more normal way :v: