Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone know how I can remap the Dictionary trackpad shortcut on Mountain Lion? I have the three-fingered tap mapped to opening a link on a new tab on BetterTouchTools, and it's driving me crazy.
It's still working for me. I see the yellow box flash but it still opens up the new tab. I have it mapped to cmd-click, so I guess try that if you're using middle click.

Petey posted:

I am going to install VMWare fusion on my new Air.

In the past, I've always run the "More Isolated" option out of paranoia / laziness: I didn't want to go through all the trouble of keeping my Windows machine airtight for viruses, but I also didn't want to risk anything contaminating anything I needed.

However, I only use Windows for one program (Tableau), and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to pass my data documents back and forth through the systems (via a second Dropbox) as opposed to a more integrated approach.

Am I being too paranoid? Is it possible to allow Internet access per-application in Windows? As a use-case, my ideal solution would be to only allow some Windows applications Internet access through my Mac, since I'd never ever actually need to fire up Windows. Or is it worth it to keep More Isolated running?
I do isolated with shared folders for whatever I need to access from the VM. Figure there's no need to open everything up if only a little is necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Can I just say that the NSPopover for tracking packages never gets old? Because it's quite handy :3:

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out whether losing all my 64 bit apps and logic plugins is worth it for the downgrades Mountain Lion features.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
How's your AirPlay mirroring performance? I was mirroring the Olympics from my Mac because ctv decided to disable AirPlay on their iPad app app and it was very choppy. I have a base 13" 2011 Air.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I'm having a problem since upgrading to Mountain Lion. My Macbook Pro is running hot while doing nothing.

Fans keep going at ~4.5k-5k and the temperature is between 70C and 80C. If I look at the activity monitor, nothing is really doing anything. I have one tab open in Chrome (this page).

It's driving me nuts. I have tried to reset the PRAM but no luck.

http://imgur.com/a/q6gzF

Specs:
Macbook Pro (mid 2010), i7@2.66, 8gb

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Kristneder posted:

I'm having a problem since upgrading to Mountain Lion. My Macbook Pro is running hot while doing nothing.

Fans keep going at ~4.5k-5k and the temperature is between 70C and 80C. If I look at the activity monitor, nothing is really doing anything. I have one tab open in Chrome (this page).

It's driving me nuts. I have tried to reset the PRAM but no luck.

http://imgur.com/a/q6gzF

Specs:
Macbook Pro (mid 2010), i7@2.66, 8gb

Change Activity Monitor from My Processes to All Processes.

:10bux: says that it's spotlight reindexing. The process should be "mds". Just let it go and it will finish after a while.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

If it insists on using an American-style phone number you're on the US signup page, not whatever your local country's is. It'll also say "USA" on your confirmation, no matter what country you chose in the dropdown.

ie. http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
is different to
http://www.apple.com/au/osx/uptodate/

Click the flag in the bottom right and select your country.

Nothing concrete but I've heard it might take longer if you use the wrong country since they have to process it manually.
I've done both the link and the flag - same thing. We don't have area codes here, and I guess I'll have to enter faux data in the field. Even so, the e-mail thing still doesn't work.

I'll just have to phone in the request, it seems like.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

How's your AirPlay mirroring performance? I was mirroring the Olympics from my Mac because ctv decided to disable AirPlay on their iPad app app and it was very choppy. I have a base 13" 2011 Air.
Fine here, but I guess my network is semi optimal for it. Computer is wired, one AppleTV I tried on was wired, another was wireless but pretty close to the router (but still connecting at b/g/n rather than a/n apparently).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The way that Apple handles Gmail always pisses me the gently caress off. Does anyone have a simple guide how to configure Mail.app to work 100% with Gmail so when I press delete the message is moved to Gmail trash and when I press archive they're moved to All Mail?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mail Pilot is pretty cool. It works as a productivity implementation of your Gmail account. It's currently in beta, though, but it's slated for release this summer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't have a newer MBP so I don't think I can use Power Nap, but why is this something I would want? I'm not bashing it, I just don't see any use for it—enlighten me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you leave your laptop asleep overnight or whatever, it still does its time machine backup, scheduled log cleanup tasks, and checks for updates. That's it. (Until someone works out the private API and lets you download torrents as well.)

(I fully realise that this is a completely typically Apple-over-engineered solution to the "problem".)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the main benefit is that you can use your laptop on road all day, and then come home and plug it in and it does a time machine backup, without having to turn it on.

The rest of the stuff like syncing calendar etc. doesn't seem very useful, since it usually just syncs when you turn it on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I seem to have finally figured out how to get all of my standard folders (Inbox, Spam, Sent, Trash) working with the exception of Archive.

All of the guides I find online basically have you trading delete option for archive. Is mail.app gimped in the same way as the iOS mail application where I must manually move things from my inbox to 'All Mail' when I want to archive.?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have an early 2008 iMac which holds my iTunes library that I watch on my Apple TV (2nd gen) via Home Sharing. Back when I was on Snow Leopard, as long as I had "Wake on network access" enabled, my library would still show up on my Apple TV even when the iMac was asleep, but would then wake up when I tried to access it. Perfect.

After I upgraded to Lion, the iMac just stopped going to sleep if I had a network connection, but for whatever reason I just never bothered trying to fix it.

Now, after installing Mountain Lion, the problem has reversed itself. It's going to sleep after x minutes of inactivity again like it did on Snow Leopard, but my library doesn't show up on my Apple TV while the iMac is asleep anymore. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or even better, does anybody have any idea how to make it behave like it did on Snow Leopard again?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I noticed that my Energy Saver preferences had changed after I upgraded to ML, though I can't see an option that would explain what you're seeing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I upgraded and don't even know why, almost everything I do seems the same. But I gotta say I really love that new screensaver that makes your pictures look kinda retro and all stacked together.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

petewhitley posted:

I upgraded and don't even know why, almost everything I do seems the same. But I gotta say I really love that new screensaver that makes your pictures look kinda retro and all stacked together.
People who are freaking out about their UpToDate status should read this and then read it again.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Wario In Real Life posted:

People who are freaking out about their UpToDate status should read this and then read it again.

If I save one life it was all worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually not terribly interested in 10.8, but I am looking forward to upgrading both of my machines and gaining the iCloud tabs in Safari.

Also notification centre I suppose. Growl always felt really clunky to me.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Now, after installing Mountain Lion, the problem has reversed itself. It's going to sleep after x minutes of inactivity again like it did on Snow Leopard, but my library doesn't show up on my Apple TV while the iMac is asleep anymore. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or even better, does anybody have any idea how to make it behave like it did on Snow Leopard again?

For another data point, this has been mostly working fine for me. Maybe once a week my iTunes Library doesn't show up. I've found that if I Quit and then relaunch iTunes on my iMac the library will appear again (and even work into iMac's sleep again for a while). I've noticed that the times when the iTunes Library doesn't show up on my AppleTV are the same times when iTunes shows an iTunes Match connectivity error. I've filed a radar. If you do too, maybe they're more likely to find the issue.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I'm suddenly having connection problems with both my MBA and Mini running Mt. Lion. As of this morning neither device can connect to the Internet using my wifi network, but my other iMac running lion and all my iDevices are connecting with no issues whatsoever. Airport utility on both my MBA and Mini show that the cable router is disconnected and the airport is fine. I have restarted the cable modem but that changes nothing.

Is anyone else running into this? I'm off to work right now and hope that the iMac there isn't running into this problem as I don't have my Lion installer anymore to be able to roll back and I really need to be able to get online.

Edit: apparently I can connect online at work using the wifi setup here. So I'm thinking that there are some settings that Mt. Lion borked when installed into my MBA and Mini. This is very odd as my MBA was connecting just fine on my home network last night, and it was just this morning that it started having problems. I've deleted the network and re-added it in the network preferences, renamed the service, and reset the service order which has been suggested in other forums, but to no avail. Apparently this is a big problem for people and is quite widespread.

Anyone else having this problem? There are people suggesting such 'solutions' as quitting iTunes, changing the router from N to G, etc. Nothing seems to work for me. I have an Airport Extreme with the latest firmware.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Anyone else having this problem? There are people suggesting such 'solutions' as quitting iTunes, changing the router from N to G, etc. Nothing seems to work for me. I have an Airport Extreme with the latest firmware.

I had a similar issue, where I could connect to Wi-Fi and access all of my routers (I have an unusual network), but couldn't get access the internet with my iMac with ML. If I changed my IP address it seemed to fix it. It seems like it does this pretty consistently after waking the machine from sleep mode.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I tried changing my IP as well to no avail. This is really bothersome :(

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Just noticed that apple finally added pgrep and pkill and introduced caffeinate as defaults.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
How big of an external HDD would you guys recommend for time machine backups? It's for a 2012 Macbook air 128GB SSD.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

500GB is probably more than enough for a drive that small, especially if the contents don't change dramatically enough to trigger tons of versions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

500GB is probably more than enough for a drive that small, especially if the contents don't change dramatically enough to trigger tons of versions.

Yeah, it's my girlfriends and she's just going to be using it in school and such. Definitely not a "power user" by any means.

Think a 320GB drive would be good enough?

korora
Sep 3, 2011

No. 6 posted:

I seem to have finally figured out how to get all of my standard folders (Inbox, Spam, Sent, Trash) working with the exception of Archive.

All of the guides I find online basically have you trading delete option for archive. Is mail.app gimped in the same way as the iOS mail application where I must manually move things from my inbox to 'All Mail' when I want to archive.?
All of my GMail folders work and I'm pretty sure I have a default configuration. I remember in earlier versions (Snow Leopard maybe) you had to fiddle with the IMAP prefix and all that but now it just works. If you set up your GMail pre-Lion, try a fresh configuration?

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Change Activity Monitor from My Processes to All Processes.

:10bux: says that it's spotlight reindexing. The process should be "mds". Just let it go and it will finish after a while.

You just lost :10bux:. =) In Lion I disabled spotlight (because I use Alfred), and that setting transfered to ML.

Apparently it was Java. It uses 150% CPU. Now, how do I fix that ;O

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 28, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How big of an external HDD would you guys recommend for time machine backups? It's for a 2012 Macbook air 128GB SSD.

You technically only really need a TM Drive as big as the drive you're backing up, it depends on how far back you want to go.

Right now in my MacPro I have a 3TB Time Machine drive in bay 4 backing up my .5TB Boot Drive, and 1TB and 1.5TB drives in bay 2 and 3. Never ran into a problem yet except that occasionally it warns me that it's deleting older backups.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
So post-Mountain Lion I have noticed that I can no longer create aliases to external video files by option-dragging them to my iTunes window. I can only copy the file into the iTunes library (which I don't want to do). Anybody have a workaround or advice?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

So post-Mountain Lion I have noticed that I can no longer create aliases to external video files by option-dragging them to my iTunes window. I can only copy the file into the iTunes library (which I don't want to do). Anybody have a workaround or advice?

I'm still able to, so it's not necessarily ML related.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Astro7x posted:

You technically only really need a TM Drive as big as the drive you're backing up, it depends on how far back you want to go.

Right now in my MacPro I have a 3TB Time Machine drive in bay 4 backing up my .5TB Boot Drive, and 1TB and 1.5TB drives in bay 2 and 3. Never ran into a problem yet except that occasionally it warns me that it's deleting older backups.

Got it, thanks! :)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

You could tell iTunes to not organize your library. That way instead of it copying it to it's media folder, it will look for the library files only in the place they were added from.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

beefnoodle posted:

I'm still able to, so it's not necessarily ML related.

Upon closer inspection it seems that they are importing (they appear in my recently added playlist) but aren't showing up in my library when I click on Movies. Don't know why that would happen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just did a clean install of 10.8 on an empty drive. Launched App Store, but I'm getting some weird results.

In the "Purchases" tab, it shows some odd things as already being "Installed" despite this being a fresh install. Moom, Locksmith, StreamToMe, etc. Also Updates shows five updates for apps I know I don't have installed.

Now I have my old 10.7.4 disk hooked up. Is there a chance that it's detecting that those apps are installed on THAT drive and still offering to update them?

e: I guess to answer my own question I could theoretically reboot without the 10.7.4 drive hooked up, which I probably will do next.

e2: Yes. I ejected my 10.7.4 disk using Disk Utility and App Store now shows 0 updates and no software installed.

That's pretty loving slick actually. I really like how it can find apps.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2012

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

Kristneder posted:

You just lost :10bux:. =) In Lion I disabled spotlight (because I use Alfred), and that setting transfered to ML.

Apparently it was Java. It uses 150% CPU. Now, how do I fix that ;O

So it was Crashplan that caused all these problems. The mac also crashed if I switched from the 330M to the integrated graphics card (Open Chrome then quit Chrome caused the screen to go black with some artifacts in the upper left corner). So for now, I'll have to do without Crashplan :-/

Anyone else having problems with Crashplan after installing ML?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Welp, I wiped and restored from Time Machine after my screensaver password prompt froze the computer for the fourth time. Now I'm back on Lion, and I suspect this might be a Filevault issue so I'm decrypting before I try reinstalling ML. Only 8 hours to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
So after updating my rMBP and installing the update to the SMC, this thing is singing. Sleep resume is amazing. Airplay was working great streaming from the network to my Apple TV. Doing well I would say.