Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
The first part was about how in adequately controlled double blind tests most people can't tell gently caress all from anything.

The second part was that I am personally a cheap jerk and my litmus test is if it costs over the threshold of what I'm willing to spend it is worthless, which I don't think is actually that ridiculous.

I don't have a super nice setup. I have a pair of speakers I built myself, my parents pair of polk 5jr's, an inexpensive auto turntable, grado green cart, and a marantz 2230 I found in the trash and fixed up. I have worked in a shop where we built 1-8,000$ mono or stereo tube systems, so I've been exposed to the crazier things, as well as building expensive custom speakers (based on simple 200-300$ german drivers that can't be beat).

Why do you need oxygen-free copper as opposed to regular? If you double blinded it, you wouldn't notice the difference, hell you wouldn't notice the difference between the two cables in 20 years by visual inspection.

I just think its important to balance fanatical audiophilia tendencies with rationality aka "will this actually make a real difference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
The HK350i is dead in the water. I cleaned it down well with deoxit, it needs a good solid recapping sadly.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The super high LC audiophile cables can also cause instabilities in poor quality amplifiers, such as high frequency oscillations.

E: And some level of over-engineering in your speaker cables may be advantageous, since while speakers have "nominal" impedance, they often have dips in the frequency response where they're usually significantly lower impedanse.
I would probably work out that impedance and the cable thickness needed to supply max power to that impedance, rather than the nominal.

longview fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 23, 2012

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

longview posted:

The super high LC audiophile cables can also cause instabilities in poor quality amplifiers, such as high frequency oscillations.

E: And some level of over-engineering in your speaker cables may be advantageous, since while speakers have "nominal" impedance, they often have dips in the frequency response where they're usually significantly lower impedanse.
I would probably work out that impedance and the cable thickness needed to supply max power to that impedance, rather than the nominal.

Fair points. Buy cheap 12awg and make sure you get a solid connection!

stop! thief!
Jul 21, 2003
cloacula

stop! thief! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 30, 2018

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
Just bought a Harman Kardon 430 off of ebay for $100. I'm excited for this thing, especially with it's dual mono design.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

The Leon Hikari posted:

Just bought a Harman Kardon 430 off of ebay for $100. I'm excited for this thing, especially with it's dual mono design.

Nice, that's what I am using now. I paid the same for mine as well, but from a local seller.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

Dumbledore 64 posted:

Nice, that's what I am using now. I paid the same for mine as well, but from a local seller.

Yeah, it was $70 + $33 shipping. It was originally $99 + $30, but he had a make an offer button.

I hope this thing sounds as crisp as the reviews I've read say it does. What's your take on it, Dumbledore 64?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I don't claim to have an audiophile ear, but it sounds great to me. I listen to it using speakers and sometimes headphones. A slight hiss is noticeable with headphones but I think that's pretty common with old receivers anyway. Maybe a re-cap would help with that but it's not a big enough deal to make me try. I also haven't been able to really push it very loudly because of the neighbors, but still very loud and clear for only 30wpc.

The tuner needle lamp as well as one of the lamps behind the tuner dial are burned out, and I just recently ordered replacement lamps from this site (the L-5 and L-11 lamps specifically).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the best bang for the buck sub $300 2-channel amp these days?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New? I'd look at the Crown XLS1000. 215 W/ch @8ohms. I've yet to hear a bad thing about Crown amps.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I wonder if he meant receiver? I've had this one for over a year now. Works great and has a phono input.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I bought a Music Hall MMF 5 off craigslist for cheap a while back and have been pretty happy with it, but I realized that the stylus was bent, so I tried to fix it and it actually snapped, whoops. It's a Goldring 1012GX. I'm looking at replacement styli for it, and they're 180-275 depending on where at. I read a few years ago it was only around $80. I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace the stylus, or just buy a new cartridge entirely. My budget would be around 200 or so, either way.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I just picked up a Radioshack/Realistic Clarinette 120 Phono/Turntable/AM/FM/dual-cassette stereo system for 5 bucks. It sounds pretty great with the 17" panasonic speakers it came with, but the turntable is missing its needle. Googling isn't proving very fruitful with finding what sort of needle I need or if I should get a whole new cartridge instead.

Just finding a picture of this model has proven impossible so far, the back of it says model #13-1224 which I only see referenced on a website trying to sell me the manual for $27.

Just reposting this since the local vintage stereo equipment repair/sales guy was stumped by it too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Paperweight posted:

I wonder if he meant receiver? I've had this one for over a year now. Works great and has a phono input.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A

Whoops sorry, yeah I meant an integrated amp.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Just reposting this since the local vintage stereo equipment repair/sales guy was stumped by it too.

I think you're going to have to take a picture of the tonearm to get advice on something like that here.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

BusinessWallet posted:

I bought a Music Hall MMF 5 off craigslist for cheap a while back and have been pretty happy with it, but I realized that the stylus was bent, so I tried to fix it and it actually snapped, whoops. It's a Goldring 1012GX. I'm looking at replacement styli for it, and they're 180-275 depending on where at. I read a few years ago it was only around $80. I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace the stylus, or just buy a new cartridge entirely. My budget would be around 200 or so, either way.

Any of the Audio-Technica cartridges are pretty well recommended on here. I've installed and listened to an AT-440MLA on a friend's table. I liked it better than the Ortofon 2M Red but the 2M Blue is pretty good at it's price point.

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with Kenwood turntables? I've been looking around for an inexpensive turntable after getting some records for cheap and craigslist has a Kenwood KD66-F up for $35- would it be a good buy?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
$35 sounds fair only if it's been cleaned up and in perfect working order. After a bit of googling it looks like its from 1989 and kind of plasticy. It's also a linear tracking turntable which aren't as common and harder to tinker with should something go wrong. It's a T4P mount which limits which kinds of cartridges you can use if you ever decide to upgrade later. It'll get the job done but it doesn't look very impressive.

you can honestly do a lot better for under $50 but you might have to check back every day for a few weeks

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2012

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011

Dumbledore 64 posted:

$35 sounds fair only if it's been cleaned up and in perfect working order. After a bit of googling it looks like its from 1989 and kind of plasticy. It's also a linear tracking turntable which aren't as common and harder to tinker with should something go wrong. It's a T4P mount which limits which kinds of cartridges you can use if you ever decide to upgrade later. It'll get the job done but it doesn't look very impressive.

The other options I've found on craigslist include a Technics SL DL 1 (another linear tracking one) for $30, a Technics SL-Q202 without a cartridge or stylus for $25, and a Technics SL-b35 with an "Ortofone cartridge" that "might need a new belt soon." I don't know anything about repairing turntables but would any of these be good?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The Kenwood is probably fine if it's in perfect working order, like I said. But if you don't mind paying a little extra for a new cartridge and stylus, then the SL-Q202 will be a better bet in the long run. People seem to say it's an above decent starter table.

I can't find much info about the 2nd technics

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I have an SL-Q202, it's a really great table. You probably want a new cart/stylus anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that. I paid $25 for mine in the box with all the documents, it's a great table.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Being a Realistic Clarinette, I'd be willing to bet it has a BSR changer, though not saying for sure until I see a picture of the arm and underneath the cartridge.

If it is, that narrows your search down quite a bit.

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice about the turntables. I've been thinking about it and I might just pay the extra money for a new turntable instead of getting a used one- that Technics table with a new cartridge (the ones from the OP, anyway) would probably be upwards of $50 and I figure it would be a better idea in the long run to just get something new. Is the Audio Technica AT-PL60 as good as the PL50 or should I stick with the Sony PSLX250H?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Those modern tables are made pretty cheaply. They are belt driven and you will want to replace the cart/stylus on them anyway. They look like they have built-in pre-amps, too.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
There's an untested Sony PS-X6 on ebay at $9.99 with under a day left. They're leagues better than any TT that's come out of Sony in at least a decade. If you're willing to take a gamble with the untested bit....

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The AT-PL60, PL50, and Sony PSLX250H all have proprietary cartridges that you won't be able to upgrade; you'll only be able to replace the stylus after it gets worn out.

The built in pre-amps are convenient if you don't have a receiver with a phono stage or an external phono pre-amp which means more money up front if all you want to do is play some records. (if you don't own a turntable yet, you likely don't own an external phono pre-amp anyway).

If you want something that is guaranteed to work out of the box, and will "get the job done", then by all means get one of those cheap modern tables. I had the PS-LX250H for about two years before I eventually upgraded through something vintage and beefy.

It'll give you a good idea if you even care about collecting vinyl and want to invest more money into it. Once you get a better idea how turntables work, you can look into something vintage and repair/tinker with it yourself. Or you can just spend $300-$600 on a fancy new Rega, Music Hall or ProJect table.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 1, 2012

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
I really appreciate all the help. I do have a receiver that I bought just recently, a Pioneer SX-202. The Sony turntable on ebay looks tempting but I'm not really willing to take the risk with an untested table that has a modified cord. One last question: I found a BSR 310 Axe on craigslist for $15. Assuming it's in working condition, would it be worth it? The low price makes me think it might be a lovely turntable.

I'll keep checking craigslist and the local record store in the meantime. Thanks again for the advice.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

metaxus posted:

Being a Realistic Clarinette, I'd be willing to bet it has a BSR changer, though not saying for sure until I see a picture of the arm and underneath the cartridge.

If it is, that narrows your search down quite a bit.

I've got a picture finally! Here is a picture.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've got a picture finally! Here is a picture.

that's not a particularly good or helpful picture. Can you take some more (of controls, branding, marking, serial number, cartridge, and so on)?

Best guess I have now is "not BSR."

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

minivanmegafun posted:

that's not a particularly good or helpful picture. Can you take some more (of controls, branding, marking, serial number, cartridge, and so on)?

Best guess I have now is "not BSR."

I'll upload a bunch more here in a bit, but it does actually say BSR belt drive under the arm :v:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'll upload a bunch more here in a bit, but it does actually say BSR belt drive under the arm :v:
God drat it, I thought I could spot those terrible tables from a mile away :(

There were very few "good" BSRs, at least this one is belt drive. Does it have an anti-skate control and adjustable counterweight as well?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

minivanmegafun posted:

God drat it, I thought I could spot those terrible tables from a mile away :(

There were very few "good" BSRs, at least this one is belt drive. Does it have an anti-skate control and adjustable counterweight as well?

I dunno what anti-skate control is but the counterweight is made out of crappy plastic, but it has a little screw I can adjust but it seems stuck.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
Received my Harman Kardon 430 in the mail today, love it. It sounds fantastic, has a much thicker and fatter sound than my surround sound receiver (Pioneer VSX-819K) ever could dream of having. I've actually got the HK run through the headphone out of the Pioneer because I can't seem to get the Zone 2 functions to work right. I'll probably have photos up tomorrow after I get it cleaned up.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Just picked up a set of Klipsch KG-2's with the tweeter diaphragms poked in, drat kids. I flipped the passives upside down since gravity has pulled the spider down and took the tweeters apart and pushed the dents out as much as I could and it looks like one has a small tear, but it still sounds good, wait, make that loving great. These pump out a hell of a lot of bass for bookshelf speakers and the soundstage/imaging puts those CV AT-8'S to shame. They may get a set of titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites if I decide to replace the torn one and maybe a recap. drat good for $40.

edit
Oh yea, I picked up an Elac 50H Miracord with a Shure V-15 Type II cart for $9 at the local Goodwill. Now I need to get some vinyl again, since all mine was ruined when the basement flooded.:mad:

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 5, 2012

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
HI! I just picked up a Dual 621 direct-drive turntable and everything looks great except that the counterweight is broken. Apparently Dual used some complex sort of attachment for the weight to reduce resonance, but it was prone to breaking. Anyone know a fix for that, other than buying a replacement? I have the parts in front of me and I can't even really tell how the counterweight would attach to the counterweight holder, let alone what the broken part would look like.

I'm asking over at vinylengine as well, just thought I'd ask here as well in case anyone had some input.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
Picked up a set of Marantz speakers at a thrift shop for $26. I figured they'd pair well with the HK-430. The only semblance of a model number I could find on them is "IS-34"... and that seems to give me nothing via a google search.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there like a video guide or something on how to install a cartridge? Got a Shure M97xE recently because it was cheaper than a new needle for the cartridge the previous owner had installed, and I can't for the life of me get the drat thing screwed in.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Stuntman posted:

Is there like a video guide or something on how to install a cartridge? Got a Shure M97xE recently because it was cheaper than a new needle for the cartridge the previous owner had installed, and I can't for the life of me get the drat thing screwed in.

Do you have a standard headshell or is it a p-mount tonearm?

A standard headshell looks like this

You hold the cartridge against the bottom (remove the stylus while doing this to prevent damage), insert the screws down through the two elongated slots and thread on the nut from underneath. Tighten the screws from the top, re-insert the stylus and follow an alignment guide to get the proper cartridge alignment.

If you have a p-mount tonearm you might need a p-mount adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's actually my exact mount. I'm trying to do the threading thing, but I can't get the drat things properly aligned or the nut threaded on. Should I try using a pair of tweezers to thread on the nut?