Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

GirlBones posted:

This is the worst infographic i have ever seen. Why are 70 barrels of oil x'ed out? what does 70 have to do with 120,000,000 or 83,000? The only redeeming factor is the "check engine" light on the meter.

And whoever made that infographic forgot about the $5.00 per gallon for gas we were paying in 2008 when Bush was president.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Don't worry, some prominent politicians are behind Chick Fil'A

Oh, did I say "prominent politicians"? I meant a human wasteland and her husband.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Highspeeddub posted:

And whoever made that infographic forgot about the $5.00 per gallon for gas we were paying in 2008 when Bush was president.

also:

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Manufacturing in China.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I hadn't realised until recently that the Victorian-Edwardian literary mentions of "pea soup" fog in London were less about actual weather conditions and more about the ungodly levels of smog in the coal-fired city. "Fog" isn't so romantic when it's carbon particulate and sulfur dioxide.

Things got particularly bad in the 1952 Great Smog.

At the time authorities reckoned 4,000 people died during and following the Great Smog, mostly children and the elderly. Modern estimates range up to 12,000 premature deaths. The public reaction was instrumental in new clean air legislation in London.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Don't worry, some prominent politicians are behind Chick Fil'A

Oh, did I say "prominent politicians"? I meant a human wasteland and her husband.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Highspeeddub posted:

Without looking I'd hazard a guess that Deepwater Horizon might have had something to do with the slowdown in Gulf drilling and oh hey look at all that oil not being piped from Canada to refineries in the south to be shipped overseas that sure would lower the price of domestic gas

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

(originally posted by T-Paine)

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Reddit troll bait.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
It's freedom of speech, not freedom from speech *starts screaming into a bullhorn*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is pretty cool:

quote:

The riots also offered a glimpse into how photographs can be used out of context:

‘Sir: In last week’s article about the poll-tax riot in Trafalgar Square (‘THE MOB’S BRIEF RULE’, 7 April) there is a large photograph labelled ‘A West End shopper argues with a protester’. The woman in the photograph is me, and I thought you might like to know the true story behind the picture.

I was on my way to the theatre, with my husband. As we walked down Regent Street at about 6.30pm, the windows were intact and there was a large, cheerful, noisy group of poll-tax protesters walking up from Piccadilly Circus. We saw ordinary uniformed police walking alongside, on the pavement, keeping a low profile. The atmosphere was changed dramatically in moments when a fast-walking, threatening group of riot-squad police appeared.

We walked on to the top of Haymarket, where the atmosphere was more tense and more protesters were streaming up Haymarket from the Trafalgar Square end. Suddenly a group of mounted police charged at full gallop into the rear of the group of protesters, scattering them, passers-by and us and creating panic. People screamed and some fell. Next to me and my husband another group of riot-squad appeared, in a most intimidating manner.

The next thing that happened is what horrified me most. Four of the riot-squad police grabbed a young girl of 18 or 19 for no reason and forced her in a brutal manner on to the crowd-control railings, with her throat across the top of the railings. Her young male companion was frantically trying to reach her and was being held back by one riot-squad policeman. In your photograph I was urging the boy to calm down or he might be arrested; he was telling me that the person being held down across the railings was his girlfriend.

My husband remonstrated with the riot-squad policeman holding the boy, and I shouted at the four riot-squad men to let the girl go as they were obviously hurting her. To my surprise, they did let her go – it was almost as if they did not know what they were doing.

The riot-squad policemen involved in this incident were not wearing any form of identification. Their epaulettes were unbuttoned and flapping loose; I lifted them on two men and neither had any numbers on. There was a sergeant with them, who was numbered and my husband asked why his men wore no identifying numbers. The sergeant replied that it did not matter as he knew who the men were. We are a middle-aged suburban couple who now feel more intimidated by the Metropolitan police than by a mob. If we feel so angry, how on earth did the young hot-heads at the rally feel?’

Mrs R.A. Sare, Northwood, Middlessex

The Independent Magazine, 14 April 1990

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Oh...

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

ekuNNN posted:

the soviets had the best poster design :allears:

You are wrong

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Cover of the Canadian newspaper the Globe & Mail from today.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

Yossarian fan art

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thewittyname posted:

You are wrong

Hahah, these are awesome, you are right.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://cryptome.org/2012-info/qidong/qidong-protest.htm

Photos from a protest in China.

Way more at the link.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

quote:

July 23, 2012. Artist Pyotr Pavlensky, a supporter of jailed members of the female punk band “Pussy Riot,” with his mouth sewn up as he protests outside the Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg.

A protestor of the arrests, no context. Sign says "Here should be your democracy"

quote:

Lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers Anthony Kiedis performs at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow. During the concert the musician wore a T-shirt with the caption “Pussy Riot” to show his support for the members of the feminist rock band, taken into custody after a controversial performance in the cathedral of Christ the Saviour. Source: RIA Novosti/Vladimir Astapkovich

5ive
Oct 5, 2010
Some nice political rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUctLe-Fdu4

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Fried Chicken posted:

[ 3d printing etc ... ]

Awesome. Thanks for those posts.

And in honor of them heres Bucky.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

For some reason this graph had wrong chart-heights. I marked in yellow where the bars should have gone. (Obama's bar has two lines, one for when it gets set vertically, one for its current diagonal position).

(I don't know why the chart omitted the first Bush. And I can't recognize president's faces well enough to comment on the others.)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Meet Takiji Kobayashi:

Born in northern Japan in 1903, he is most famous for writing the proletarian novel Kanikousen, or Crab-Canning Boat, which depicts a revolution aboard a crab-canning boat with horrendous working conditions. The novel is noteworthy not just because of its political message, but also for being quite an interesting work of realist literature (for example, there are nothing resembling main characters, indeed all the workers on the boat remain unnamed throughout the story).

His proletarian novels and articles repeatedly drew the attention of the authorities, and after joining the then-illegal communist party in 1931, he stayed in hiding, still writing articles and columns for communist magazines. In February 1933 he was caught by the police, who stripped him naked and beat him with thick sticks, then left him in a hospital where he died, 29 years old. The police claimed he had died from a heart attack, and the hospital did not do an autopsy out of fear for repercussions. His death was considered a symbol of the end of the relatively free Taisho era and the start of the much stricter military rule.

Kobayashi's grave in Otaru, Hokkaido, where he grew up

However, while he died young, his legacy lives on. In 2008, Crab-Canning Boat became a surprising best-seller in Japan, and many young people saw parallels between the exploitation of workers on the crab-canning boats and the current situation in Japan, where part-time or freelancer positions are becoming more common, leading to reduced job security, as well as less wages and benefits. The novel will be re-released in English in 2013 together with one of his other novels, I would recommend picking it up if you haven't read it.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

ljw1004 posted:

(I don't know why the chart omitted the first Bush. And I can't recognize president's faces well enough to comment on the others.)
Maybe the tax rate stayed the same as with Reagan?

from the annals of LF: what_to_do_to_fascists.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci%C3%B3n_Ogro

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ljw1004 posted:

For some reason this graph had wrong chart-heights. I marked in yellow where the bars should have gone. (Obama's bar has two lines, one for when it gets set vertically, one for its current diagonal position).

I think the first three are Wilson, Roosevelt and Curly.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ljw1004 posted:

Can't believe Mussolini taxed at 87%!

Also LBJ looks like Pat Buchanan.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

This logo, combining a raised red fist and the yellow snake from the Gadsden flag ("don't tread on me"), was created by some dude on 4chan's politics board. It's supposed to convey the idea of libertarians and anarchists working together to topple the state, although to me it's more effective at conveying the idea of "Holy poo poo there's a snake on my arm, get it off!" To date this is 4chan's greatest contribution to political discourse.

Here's some other random stuff

Free your mind with this thought-provoking video
(The title, Ron Paul: Media-Trix, gives you a good idea of what it's about)

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 30, 2012

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Bloomberg is also very pro-gun control, the head of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. In an Orson Scott Card novel he would be the guy that takes away our guns and then uses the police to stage a rebellion and suppress the populace.
I like his website though and would totally vote for him for Federal Website Commissioner or something like that.

The Orson Scott Card novel where something like that happens. Democrats! :argh:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The more things change...

...the more they stay the same.

Ohio National Guard troops outside the Music Hall in Cincinnati, Ohio, March 1884. Troops were brought to bring an end to riots sparked by public outrage over the outcome of a murder trial.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 30, 2012

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Unfortunately there is a bit of a difference because the guys in those newer pictures are theoretically civil police and the other guys are military.

A lot of those older pictures are of the 12th Street Riot in Detroit in 1967. My grandpa was a platoon sergeant there and to this day he says his greatest accomplishment in his 43 years of service was preventing his troops from hurting or killing anyone while they were there. If only more leaders had done that. Of course, if white people in Detroit weren't such bastards it wouldn't have come to this anyway.

Recognize this guy?

If anyone is interested in the Riot, why it happened and why Detroit is the way it is now (tl;dr it's racist white people) they really should read this book:

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
From here

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

Is that Mittens senior?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Is that Mittens senior?

Yep. As Governor of Michigan he was Commander in Chief of the Michigan National Guard and thus he was the one who ordered the initial deployment of troops to Detroit. He didn't want to call Federal soldiers in because to do so he would have had to declare a state of insurrection and that would void most insurance claims after everything was over.

A cartoon from the 1943 riot in Detroit

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Beaten, but POLICE OFFICERS dressed up in loving tacticalol gear to make them look like actual members of the military in order to intimidate protesters is a far cry from sending in the relatively tame National Guard to stop a bad situation from becoming worse.

As for content:

As you can see, the North Koreans aren't all that different from us! Also, no idea how he didn't get arrested or thrown into his hotel room by his handlers.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

New Kate Beaton, on the War of 1812 (really tall image)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

via Sociological Images

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If you are going to credit it, it was made by Kate Beaton over at http://www.harkavagrant.com

Purveyor of political/historical funniness like this:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yes! I can contribute! A fun song about the War of 1812.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ety2FEHQgwM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If we're doing songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecIdlEAKhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxB42cjHTGg

• Locked thread