Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

It amazes and dumbfounds me, Hot Toys makes collector figures that SELL OUT, at the $200-$400 price point. How do you gently caress up a 6" inch collector line as badly as Mattel has with all their properties? I seriously don't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hot Toys has better licenses. They go after major movies people like and know.

Matty makes obscure poo poo from an 80s cartoon show that wasn't very good :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I hope this is the right thread to ask this, but my sister and her husband are taking a vacation to Disney World next week and wanted to know what type of souvenir she could pick up for me. Are there any kind of cool exclusive Marvel things there, be it toys, posters or comics?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

All I wanted was a Stinkor. That happened, so now they can jump up my rear end. All the insane obscure poo poo they're put out and we're only now getting a Ram Man...such a weirdly managed fan-abusing line.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

MB13 posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this, but my sister and her husband are taking a vacation to Disney World next week and wanted to know what type of souvenir she could pick up for me. Are there any kind of cool exclusive Marvel things there, be it toys, posters or comics?

I'm not sure there's anything Marvel-related there because of the pre-existing agreement Marvel had with the Universal Studios theme park in Orlando.

[edit] Yep. No Marvel in Disney World currently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islands_of_Adventure#Marvel_Super_Hero_Island

funtax fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 25, 2012

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The line really doesn't have much left in it really. It seems like they held Mekanek and Ram Man hostage for a long time to insure that people would keep buying in anticipation for those two, but now that they're set for release, there aren't many must haves remaining in the line unless they decide to go in a new direction with the whole "Son of He-Man" poo poo.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

It's insanely stupid. The more boring the line gets, the more money it costs to buy.

You don't see a problem with how you've managed to run that, Matty? :raise:

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

The Rage posted:

It amazes and dumbfounds me, Hot Toys makes collector figures that SELL OUT, at the $200-$400 price point. How do you gently caress up a 6" inch collector line as badly as Mattel has with all their properties? I seriously don't understand it.

They're suffering from "neither fish nor fowl" syndrome. They're too expensive to get a pass as a cheap but clever line and they're too cheap to do really impressive stuff. It also doesn't help that they're trying to retain fans that got into lines like DCU when the prices were half (or less) of what they are now.

At this point, I'd be happy if DCU ended this year. I sprung for next year's sub on the day it went live, but have been sort of regretting it ever since (kudos to Matty for making it impossible to cancel a pre-order). There are still some figures I'd love to have, but not enough of them to really get excited over another year of the subscription.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beanpants posted:

The line really doesn't have much left in it really. It seems like they held Mekanek and Ram Man hostage for a long time to insure that people would keep buying in anticipation for those two, but now that they're set for release, there aren't many must haves remaining in the line unless they decide to go in a new direction with the whole "Son of He-Man" poo poo.

I'm not happy until I get Rio Blast.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

I'm not happy until I get Rio Blast.

Yeah and I'd love a Modulok but the "big" characters have been done. It's kind of a boring line anyway, as there's no supporting fiction to introduce new must-have characters. I didn't know that I oh god NEEDED an Ironfist transformers figure until I read Last Stand of the Wreckers, for instance.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

This is all just scare tactics, he'll say at the day before the deadline that they are at 70%, then when it's over he'll "talk to management" and get it through with some dumb stipulation for day if purchases.

His job doesn't exist without these and he's pulling all the stops to guilt every last person into subbing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I am so glad I never entered this line. Buying the 200x line was bad enough, but this is like finding out those bastards have killed your mother.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

I am so glad I never entered this line. Buying the 200x line was bad enough, but this is like finding out those bastards have killed your mother.

You say that, but having a 100+ unique figure Masters collection that is second only to the vintage line is really awesome.

Unfortunately you just have to deal with the fear mongering and lovely way Mattel thinks of their customers, but if you ignore it and just get your poo poo. The collection is incredible thanks to the modern artic and the 4H designs.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
A very special message from the Four Horsemen.

An interesting tactic, not unlike South American kidnappers who record videos of your loved ones to prove they are alive now but will really, really for TOTALLY REALSIES be killed if you don't take the kidnappers' threats seriously.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

"OUR PAYCHEEEEECKS :supaburn: "

Yeah, still not getting it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

funtax posted:

A very special message from the Four Horsemen.

An interesting tactic, not unlike South American kidnappers who record videos of your loved ones to prove they are alive now but will really, really for TOTALLY REALSIES be killed if you don't take the kidnappers' threats seriously.
Bahaha one of the comments:

quote:

Kevin Griffin
‎@Marc Tomas you know when you subscribe you will get 12 issues of Magazine X, but not what will be on the cover or what content the magazine will have. You subscribe to cable and know you'll get service but not what tv shows will be on. You are subscribing sight unseen to both of your examples with the hope that the content you receive will be worth your subscription. MOTUC is no different. You trust the brand and that you will want the product put out by the brand.
Is... is this stockholm syndrome? Is that what I'm seeing here?

From the same person:

quote:

Kevin Griffin Adann they legally cannot reveal the entire years worth of figures unless they designed/produced and had in warehouse the entire line for the year ready to ship, which will never happen.
I'm pretty sure that's bullshit - every year Hasbro, NECA, and plenty of other companies are able to show slideshows of what's going to come out later in the year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So Hot Toys is going loving crazy! Tons of new stuff being shown off this weekend at the Ani-Com & Games event in Hong Kong. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

1/4 SCALE T-800

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hot Toys is an absolutely amazing company, I don't know how they make their products look so good. That Hulk is superb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Louisgod posted:

I don't know how they make their products look so good.

Voodoo magic and human sacrifice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really want that Spidey and I'm not even a huge Marvel fan...

And my ex would love the McAvoy Xavier (he has the biggest crush on McAvoy). Shame he's my ex or I'd splash that cash :P

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

Voodoo magic and human sacrifice.
[Predator2]You can't see the eyes of the demon, until him come callin'.[/Predator2]

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Speaking of Hot Toys, I got their SDCC "exclusive" of Captain America in his rescue uniform. I gotta say, it's really really awesome. They went all out with the extras included with it and the helmet works just like a real one (inner lining and outer shell).

My wife is a huge Chris Evans fan and the price was a little high but we split it and couldn't be happier. I've never been unhappy with anything from Hot Toys.

I already knew I wanted the Selina Kyle, but now I want the batpod too :(.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I had been looking at the Hot Toys movie Bane and noticed some inaccuracies. The vest is close almost right, but it's colored black where it should be green in some big areas. He's also missing his right handed gauntlet.

Figure - http://youbentmywookie.com/wookie/g...0Figure_PR1.jpg

Tom Hardy - http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/dark-knight-rises-bane-tom-hardy1.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time things like that were fixed between promo shot and finished product.

Edit: Checking HT's website it says the figure comes with gloves, so I bet there's the gauntlet.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 27, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I remember seeing him with the glove on one of the promo shots.

EDIT: Here it is:

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Vintersorg posted:

I think I remember seeing him with the glove on one of the promo shots.

Yeah I hadn't seen that shot, or I overlooked it. I'm guessing that black shirt is from the second fight in the movie. That'd be a nice touch.

I really, really like the character design of Nolan-Bane, so this might be the first Hot Toys purchase I make. I've always admired their stuff but never enough to drop the cash. If I don't go with them, I may go with the likely cheaper, stylized Play Arts Kai Bane due out around the new year. (referenced a page or two ago but here's what I mean - http://www.toyark.com/news/san-diego-comic-con-58/sdcc-12-square-enix-part-2-dc-play-arts-kai-6137/ )

$180 is steep though.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 27, 2012

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Wait wait wait wait wait.

The RoboCop line is back? And theres a chance I'll be able to pick up ED-209 again?

That Garfield sculpt is dead on, but I still can't get past the costume. Too much blue and it looks like a wingsuit.

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yep, they announced they were making a new Robocop a while ago. I'm really hoping they're re-using the old ED-209 sculpt and releasing it at a discounted price like they did for the Iron Man Mark I, I'd love to have it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But will they do a Cain/Robocop 2? That I would just lose my poo poo at seeing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

I'd buy that pretty much without hesitation. To my knowledge the only RoboCain merchandise that even exists is the little 3" Kotobiyuka trading figure.

I've got one, and it's really kickass. It's amazingly detailed, especially for how tiny it is. A full-on 1/6-scale Hot Toys version would be absolutely mindblowing.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Buy a colostomy bag:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ohhhhhhh poo poo. :gizz:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You just know it'll even have the little flap/extending tray to stick the Nuke in.

Hot Toys :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

You just know it'll even have the little flap/extending tray to stick the Nuke in.

Hot Toys :allears:
No no no, the whole head assembly will open so the viewscreen with the rudimentary CGI face can pop out. :allears:

Edit-- and the little toe-claws will be fully articulated. :allears:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 29, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

No no no, the whole head assembly will open so the viewscreen with the rudimentary CGI face can pop out. :allears:

With 6 interchangeable screens to show the various states of Cain's mind AND a removable brain jar.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hot Toys is so goddamned cool I bet they'll make a shot-up Brinks truck with the body of that mean little poo poo under a pile of cash in it as an accessory

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Of course if they really wanted to make people smile, there's one Robocop character they could always do...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Of course if they really wanted to make people smile, there's one Robocop character they could always do...

I'd jump in on this in a heartbeat. Of course he'd need to have a base to stand on that played a sound bite of "Bitches leave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh mother pus bucket... Imma be so broke it's laughable. Well played, Hot Toys, well played...