Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

quote:

What do they mean by 'Retro Game Master Version' and 'GameCenter Cx Version'? There's only one 'add to cart' button. Or is this like, dual audio tracks, or...?

Multiple Audio and Subtitle tracks.

The former are the terrible KOTAK version. The latter are the episodes re-translated by Zari-Gani.

Why you would watch the former when the latter is far and away better is beyond me though. Unless you just wanted to laugh at how terrible the whole thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That dvd set can't come soon enough, I think it's the only dvd set I've seen in ages that I'm happy to buy at this price-point outside of Hell's Kitchen DVD's.

It was cool to see super volleyball at that game center in the jump episode, I have that one on ps2 as part of the oretachi game center series, it's a lot of fun.

quote:

I always love when Xevious is featured in part of an episode. And this one also has 3D/G!

I loved the time Arino disrupted that expert Xevious player asking for a life only to receive a blunt refusal, it's one of my favourite GCCX moments.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

zari-gani posted:

I asked one of my friends from Japan about this and she said saying "domo" would be seen as weird. See, I'm paranoid about this sort of thing because I have the disadvantage of not looking like a foreigner when I'm in Japan. I'm always afraid of coming across as some idiot.

I'm glad someone else has this problem. I usually say "arigatou gozaimasu" when I get my change and "arigatou gozaimashita" when the whole thing is over. I don't know why, but I think it might be that I saw my tutor doing that or something.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

zari-gani posted:

I asked one of my friends from Japan about this and she said saying "domo" would be seen as weird. See, I'm paranoid about this sort of thing because I have the disadvantage of not looking like a foreigner when I'm in Japan. I'm always afraid of coming across as some idiot.
I've been doing this for years. Welp.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

Why you would watch the former when the latter is far and away better is beyond me though. Unless you just wanted to laugh at how terrible the whole thing was.

There are people who outright refuse to watch anything with subtitles and will insist on a dub no matter how bad it is. When I went to see the original limited release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, a couple in front of me walked out five minutes in when they realized the whole thing was going to be subtitled.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Zeether posted:

I kind of want to play that Pachicom game they featured in the 1985 game showcase. Even though it's probably the most boring game ever.

Yes, even its programmer thought so!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how the angry ranting sound fixes actually do make the game sound better.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

zari-gani posted:

The DVD is now up on Discotek's catalog:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/retro_game_master.htm

Judging from the credits, looks like they managed to get permission to use my artwork. Should be the whole bottom half of the King Arino pic plastered onto the inside jacket of the clear case.

And now we have a name attached to the dub voice: Adam Ray.

oh boyyyy

atooo edo made nan juu riiiiiii

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Nipponophile posted:

There are people who outright refuse to watch anything with subtitles and will insist on a dub no matter how bad it is. When I went to see the original limited release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, a couple in front of me walked out five minutes in when they realized the whole thing was going to be subtitled.

One thing that confuses me about the Kotaku version is how only the narration is dubbed. Dubs are for people who'd prefer not to read subs. If you're going to dub something, why not go all the way?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

One thing that confuses me about the Kotaku version is how only the narration is dubbed. Dubs are for people who'd prefer not to read subs. If you're going to dub something, why not go all the way?

Maybe they were trying to evoke comparisons with Iron Chef, where all of the dialogue is dubbed except Chairman Kaga's?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Can we get a fandubbed episode for April Fool's next year, please? Ray could really bring Arino to life with his unbridled enthusiasm.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I can understand what they were going for. It's a look into the weird world of a middle aged japanese gamer. "Can this weird Japanese comedian overcome the challenges and beat the game?" In that case, dubbing over the naration only kind of makes sense. Also, dubbing actual people is always completely horrible, while doing it for a faceless narrator isn't a problem.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I agree with that, plus I get the feeling that they were working with next to no budget. One voiceover is cheaper than more voiceovers.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
They could've had the voiceover guy speak in falsetto or do accents for the different staff.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mister Chief posted:

Can we get a fansubbed episode for April Fool's next year, please? Ray could really bring Arino to life with his unbridled enthusiasm.

You mean a fandubbed episode? Just checking.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Oops. That's what I meant.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I can already imagine Abe growling with Steve Blum's voice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm sure they meant goondub. In which case I would gladly volunteer my absolutely fantastic uncertain gravelly bass 2 for whichever dub it fits best.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Stylejam's old version was the same way. Maybe it was their one editorial guideline.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's a few reasons I can come up with against dubbing.

The first would be it would just look and sound weird, since you would now have this disembodied voice who is trying to be Arino.

Secondly, it would be difficult to capture that barely pieced together feel of the show. There's a certain spontaneity that comes across in their performances, and when you remove that, it would just be grating rather than charming.

Thirdly, backing audio. I don't know if they still have the individual sound elements around, but basically, if you were to do a full dub, you would need to have access to the game sound effects channel, otherwise, it's going to be a very quiet show. That, or you would always have the Japanese underneath. Not like that stopped the Kotak version from doing that...

Plus, I guess they are going for an Iron Chef feel.

It would have helped the Kotak dubs if the announcer spoke English like he was speaking English. There's so many awkward phrases, and bad lines, and awkward pauses that it really doesn't even sound like English when you hear it.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
Amazon has a listing for the DVD set, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Game-Master-Center-Collection/dp/B0087VCG2Y/ref=acc_glance_vg_ai_ps_t_2

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Yea it's been there couple weeks already, but wow, in couple days, the price has jumped from 42usd to 54usd. Luckily I just ordered it with old price earlier this week :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's a few reasons I can come up with against dubbing.

April Fool's, sir.

MCBiohazard
Dec 31, 2007
Mixing dubbing with subs might have been a way to evoke the Japanese Iron Chef localization style where you have everyone except Chairman Kaga dubbed in the Kitchen Arena. He's so fabulous you can't dub over him or you lose out on the magic. Arino would probably not come off half as personable if you had somebody dub over him as he's speaking to the camera.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

makere posted:

Yea it's been there couple weeks already, but wow, in couple days, the price has jumped from 42usd to 54usd. Luckily I just ordered it with old price earlier this week :)

Im pretty mad at myself for forgetting to order it last week. I threw it in my cart and then just kinda... forgot to check out I guess.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Discotek's storefront sells it for $10 less than the list price, it seems.
http://discotekmedia.com/retro_game_master.htm $49.99 USD, while Amazon.com is a baffling $53, yet still $5+ off on "sale".

I was a little put off by the price until I remembered that 14 episodes at ~40 minutes each is about the price of any other DVD Season Box, not like it is stopping me from buying it either way.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Amazon has the pre-order price guarantee. If order now, and they decide to lower the price again, you will get it for the lower price.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

And now we have a name attached to the dub voice: Adam Ray.

"I'm an actor, comedian, jew, dog loving, basketball playing, music listening, face shaving, guy who loves a good conversation by the fire...."

Well... that's certainly a person.

Edit:
I hate the terrible translation more than anything. The announcer could've been worse. I prefer Kan, but that's just me.
V V V

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 29, 2012

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

You guys are too hard on the American announcer. It's obvious that he was given no direction and the whole season was done in an afternoon. KOTAK got what they paid for.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You guys all know it's Kotaku, right?

With a u.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pretty sure you're wrong. I heard this Japanese guy on this TV show pronounce it once and he clearly said KOTAK.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

makere posted:

Oh god dammit. I thought I had it preordered and good to go, but nope. Thanks for the heads-up.

Lizard Wizard posted:

You guys all know it's Kotaku, right?

With a u.

Back when Kotaku was airing GCCX, with zero publicity, or effort, Arino sent a thank you video message to the English speaking fans and pronounced it "KOTAK." :eng101:

If I recall he did this more than once. Given the circumstances, and Kotaku's infamous japanese fixation, it seems fair to acknowledge its more native pronunciation. KOTAK

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to get this in non us countries? Edit: the dvd that is? I've never ordered internationaly with amazon before.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Is there any way to get this in non us countries? Edit: the dvd that is? I've never ordered internationaly with amazon before.

I managed to preorder it straight from amazon.us to Finland, there were no restrictions outside of the standard warning that the DVD would be region locked.

EDIT: also, in my past experience amazon.us will state it clearly if they won't ship something to you, you foreign bastard.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

a big fwiggen terd posted:

International orders work great with Amazon, depending on the product. DVDs and other optical media in general are shipped globally.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deadpan posted:

You guys are too hard on the American announcer. It's obvious that he was given no direction and the whole season was done in an afternoon. KOTAK got what they paid for.

I agree with this. I don't know if he could have done a good job but it was clear that quality was just about impossible in that situation.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Just watched the last uploaded episode, thanks guys. :) Hope we get more soon.

I hate when ZG doesn't translate the Journey to the West names though. :argh:

I kid don't yell at me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

Just watched the last uploaded episode, thanks guys. :) Hope we get more soon.

I hate when ZG doesn't translate the Journey to the West names though. :argh:

I kid don't yell at me

Let's be fair on that point. I own three different translations of Journey to the West and those aren't the only ones out there. Which translation would you want her to match up with?

(Cuing the obvious joke in three... two... one...)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Actually the worst thing about that video was this:

On his 8th attempt fighting Piccolo, Arino realises something.
"Oh it's better to stay at the back."

No words, Arino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was at Otakon this weekend and who did I chance to see?

Only registered members can see post attachments!