Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looks like no new episode this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like no new episode this week.

Well that would suck, maybe the guy who was supposed to post it discovered skyrim?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres just no episode this week, but next week will be amazing to make up for it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There was also no chapter this week. I don't know why though!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think we can all assume that it's because of <insert Japanese holiday here>.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

This was mentioned in the manga thread, but funimation is starting season 4 distribution finally. The first set is up on amazon for pre-order, and I found three new episodes on hulu. Not sure when they add new episodes to hulu though.

EDIT: DAVY BACK.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

This was mentioned in the manga thread, but funimation is starting season 4 distribution finally. The first set is up on amazon for pre-order, and I found three new episodes on hulu. Not sure when they add new episodes to hulu though.

I was really excited for a second, but the episodes are subtitled. :( Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm psyched to see the Davy Back arc dubbed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I'm not sure what the process is, but I think hulu will eventually start posting the dubs of those episodes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was really excited for a second, but the episodes are subtitled. :( Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm psyched to see the Davy Back arc dubbed.

The only way you are doing it wrong is if you are watching the dubbed episodes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

The new dub is pretty competent from what I've seen of it so it's ultimately a matter of preference. It's not like we're dealing with 4kids editing out major info or anything, it's just different voice actors, all the dialogue and plot is literally the exact same.

So yeah, no.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I'd say awesome, but that still means waiting through the release of the Foxy arc before getting to CP9. :(

Senor Candle posted:

The Funi dub is very good. Of the dubbed Strawhats, the only one I don't like as much as the Japanese dub is Luffy. Not to mention the villains' voices are all better.

Endorph posted:

it's just different voice actors, all the dialogue and plot is literally the exact same.

So yeah, no.

This reminds me of the other other English language dub that aired in Singapore, since it's apparently almost completely accurate to the Japanese script, in a bad way.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 27, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's obviously a matter of preference but I just can't watch any dub since the original is always* better and it niggles at me every time someone tries to get me to watch something dubbed that it's very probably better in the original language. I don't talk exclusively about Japanese, though, it applies to every language.

From my experience the occurrences of the opposite can be counted on the fingers of one hand and I don't think there are even any with Japanese to English examples. The seiyuu business in Japan is as big as it gets and hiring a few actors to cut corners with the dub doesn't hold candle to it IMO.

However, you're correct that the Funimation dub is much better than any of the previous ones which were an atrocity.

*unless it isn't

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lordfrikk posted:

From my experience the occurrences of the opposite can be counted on the fingers of one hand and I don't think there are even any with Japanese to English examples.

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist and Panty & Stocking are all much more enjoyable in English than in Japanese, otherwise it's typically a matter of taste. I only ever call a dub better if the voices fit the characters better than the originals, they have a good localization that isn't afraid to change poo poo if it makes things easier to understand/funnier, and overall work to make the show as good if not better than if they had produced it themselves. As you can tell by my list, the shows that get that kind of treatment aren't many, but they do exist.

Funi's One Piece dub isn't one of them solely because the voices don't better their Japanese counterparts.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've only seen Cowboy Bebop in both English and Japanese and while it was definitely better than 99% of English Japanese dubs I don't think it's better than the Japanese counterpart. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :shobon:

For example Vicious's voice actor Norio Wakamoto is hard to beat because his voice is godly. For example, as can be seen in this short vid (not mine), I have to say even the little things like the heavy breathing fits better.

I just might be too much of a sucker for Japanese so my opinion is biased that way.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 27, 2012

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't know Vicious was Wakamoto. Bebop, like Baccano!, is one of those shows that I saw dubbed first and thought it was good enough that I never really needed to see it subbed.

One Piece I've already seen subbed in its entirety. I just like watching the Funi dub to compare. :) No one can ever surpass the original Japanese Luffy, but I still enjoy watching the dub's versions.

My only complaint is both the dubbed anime and the translated manga both feel the need to use a lot of sailing terms/phrases. It's not bad, but it can sometimes sound corny.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist and Panty & Stocking are all much more enjoyable in English than in Japanese, otherwise it's typically a matter of taste. I only ever call a dub better if the voices fit the characters better than the originals, they have a good localization that isn't afraid to change poo poo if it makes things easier to understand/funnier, and overall work to make the show as good if not better than if they had produced it themselves. As you can tell by my list, the shows that get that kind of treatment aren't many, but they do exist.

Funi's One Piece dub isn't one of them solely because the voices don't better their Japanese counterparts.

Exactly. I never said the Funimation dub was "bad" it just isn't as good as the original voice actors. To me it's like the English voice actors are just doing their best imitation of the characters. Also I can't imagine they can even get anyone that can do Franky justice.
Most of all though I think it depends on what you have watched more of. I was absolutely fine with the 4kids voices when I was younger. It wasn't until I had watched the show in Japanese that I realized how horrible they were.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2012

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Man if anyone ever does a dub of Franky they better be able to do the SUUUUPER right or god damnit I could not stand it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dukeofdummies posted:

Man if anyone ever does a dub of Franky they better be able to do the SUUUUPER right or god damnit I could not stand it.
No one can match the original, he's just too Super. But having played the English version of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, I have high hopes if they use the same actor. He did the overly-emotional and cool sides of Franky both well, in my opinion.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

I could be completely wrong on this, but as I understand it, Oda actually wrote Franky specifically with Kazuki Yao because he liked his work on Jango and Mr. 2 so much. I don't think anyone can do it like him.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
If you want to hear Franky and a few others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjF9s71slU&feature=player_detailpage#t=13s

I really like the Funimation dub, though nothing beats Luffy's Japanese voice.

I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to hear Brook in English, and if they'll do him justice. :ohdear:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

No one can match the original, he's just too Super. But having played the English version of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, I have high hopes if they use the same actor. He did the overly-emotional and cool sides of Franky both well, in my opinion.
Patrick Seitz will indeed be voicing Franky in the FUNimation dub. :c00lbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Purple D. Link posted:

I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to hear Brook in English, and if they'll do him justice. :ohdear:

You mean they haven't lined up Slash to voice his own skeleton already? :aaa:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The Funi dub is excellent. The only dislike I ever see for it is from people who claim to always hate dubs (which is dumb imo). Pretty much every major character is casted as close as they can come to perfectly, and they do a really good job with translation.

The thing with Luffy's voice I've noticed is that Mayumi Tanaka perfectly captures Luffy's childlike innocence and blissful stupidity, whereas Colleen Clinkenbeard gives him more of an adventurous and headstrong feel. At least that's how I hear it. They're about equal when doing Angry Luffy though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I always find it interesting to watch the voice actors (even from video games) while they do their thing. Here's one for One Piece. It looks like a lot of fun and Franky's voice actor looks as crazy as him haha.

e: and Chopper's VA :stare:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 27, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm really hoping for Vic Mignogna since not only can he sing, but voicing wacky skeletons sounds like something that could be right up his alley.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

lordfrikk posted:

e: and Chopper's VA :stare:

She's fittingly adorable. Didn't she voice Pikachu too?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, she did. I think there's no one else more fitting for that role, heh.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Of all the possible ways to get typecasted, adorable animal companion's far from the worst.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:siren: FUNimation gets season 5 and Strong World rights :siren:

Season 5 is Enies Lobby through Ice Hunter. I assume it'll be Collection 9. Plans are for a release Summer 2013.

Strong World has no release date yet. We get Brook's voice. :allears: Anyone remember if Bink's Sake was sung at any point during Strong World?

Slightly related, the guys at the One Piece Podcast promise an interview with some FUNimation people in the next couple of days so we can get more info. :woop:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Purple D. Link posted:

Brook has always struck me as one of the more challenging VA roles, and not just for the singing. It seems to demand a lot more...range, I guess, and Cho is a maniac for pulling it off so flawlessly. That's gonna be a tough act to follow. :swoon:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Iron Pirate! Here comes General Franky! :allears:
http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still don't know which is funnier, Franky's antics or Nami and Robin's complete disdain for them. Also Chopper makes the cutest roar mankind has ever heard.

Edit: It's truly impressive how many of Luffy's buttons Hody has managed to push so far. We're quickly approaching a place where the only thing left is for him to rave about how great the cherry pie of a nameless bar in Jaya is.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 29, 2012

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

The Funi dub is very good. Of the dubbed Strawhats, the only one I don't like as much as the Japanese dub is Luffy. Not to mention the villains' voices are all better.

No joke, I actually prefer how the 4kids version of Luffy sounds compared to the Funimation one. Everyone else is basically fine though. My roommate refuses to watch anime subbed so my only experience with it is when he's watching.

Also, I've been waiting to see Frankie's Mecha transform since it was in the manga. It did not disappoint.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 29, 2012

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Gyges posted:

I still don't know which is funnier, Franky's antics or Nami and Robin's complete disdain for them. Also Chopper makes the cutest roar mankind has ever heard.

Everything in the episode was cute. I can't imagine anything will top a small reindeer commanding a brachiosaurus-shaped tank that squeaks when you fire it, but the new horn point comes close. I was worried that the new Franky may disappoint until I saw him combine to create an iron pirate complete with awesome Franky hair and speedos. Great episode.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 29, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I love how effortlessly Luffy goes Second Gear and kicks rear end at the end :allears:
Also, the music when his smile changes into a scowl - is that new? It was bitching.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 29, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

Edit: It's truly impressive how many of Luffy's buttons Hody has managed to push so far. We're quickly approaching a place where the only thing left is for him to rave about how great the cherry pie of a nameless bar in Jaya is.

He also hasn't messed with his hat yet

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

lordfrikk posted:

Also, the music when his smile changes into a scowl - is that new? It was bitching.

That's been used a few times in the past, namely when Luffy punched Charloss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnSESWZJGNc

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
It must've totally slipped my mind, thanks!

An awesome piece of the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-2pNWspRo

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 29, 2012

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I kind of felt more like Nami this episode. Franky's tanks transformations were awesome and all, and I can understand how funny Chopper, Ussop, and Luffy were in their reaction, but it just wasn't doin' it for me I guess. They may have massively strayed from any sense of being an anime about pirates, haha. Also, I stand by my conviction that Human-Human fruit doesn't grant you burrowing powers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I guess I kind of felt more like Nami this episode. Franky's tanks transformations were awesome and all, and I can understand how funny Chopper, Ussop, and Luffy were in their reaction, but it just wasn't doin' it for me I guess. They may have massively strayed from any sense of being an anime about pirates, haha. Also, I stand by my conviction that Human-Human fruit doesn't grant you burrowing powers. :colbert:

Do you hate adventure and beams too?