Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Woah. They look like Zodiac symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Added that article to the OP. Great stuff!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
First time I read that article, I had a horrible dream about the Dalkon Shield. It's like a uterine trilobite.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
I had a little baby period last week. I guess I'll just be getting periods from now on, and the good thing is that they are nowhere near as heavy and draining as the ones Pre-Implanon. And I'm not gaining weight from it, so yay. :D

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Anyone else here experiencing no libido with Mirena? I don't even really know if it is the Mirena, because I've only been off of BC twice in the past 10 years, but each time I've been off, there has been a noticeable increase in my sex drive; however, it's only been for very short periods of time so may have just been a coincidence. I've had Mirena for about 9 months and all I know is that I do not care at all about sex. If I didn't live with my boyfriend, I'd never have sex, even with myself. When we do have sex, everything feels dead down there. It may begin to feel good after about 20-30 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't ever feel good. Also I usually get cramps during and after sex. Last time I got a horrible one right in the middle of sex and curled up in a ball until the pain went away. This is not even with deep penetration (my bf is very gentle). My questions are: 1) Will this cramping ever go away and 2) Is the Mirena most likely causing the nonexistent libido/lack of sensitivity or should I look into therapy or something before assuming it's the Mirena. I have no idea what the cause is and it's hard to say what a normal sex drive is for me because I've been on BC pills for so long and I've never had a sex drive on the pills. I have posted about this before and thought Mirena was the answer to my sex drive problems, but things haven't gotten better and my relationship is suffering. Sex happens less than once per week and I'm not even into it when it does happen. :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

lunarian posted:

Anyone else here experiencing no libido with Mirena? I don't even really know if it is the Mirena, because I've only been off of BC twice in the past 10 years, but each time I've been off, there has been a noticeable increase in my sex drive; however, it's only been for very short periods of time so may have just been a coincidence. I've had Mirena for about 9 months and all I know is that I do not care at all about sex. If I didn't live with my boyfriend, I'd never have sex, even with myself. When we do have sex, everything feels dead down there. It may begin to feel good after about 20-30 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't ever feel good. Also I usually get cramps during and after sex. Last time I got a horrible one right in the middle of sex and curled up in a ball until the pain went away. This is not even with deep penetration (my bf is very gentle). My questions are: 1) Will this cramping ever go away and 2) Is the Mirena most likely causing the nonexistent libido/lack of sensitivity or should I look into therapy or something before assuming it's the Mirena. I have no idea what the cause is and it's hard to say what a normal sex drive is for me because I've been on BC pills for so long and I've never had a sex drive on the pills. I have posted about this before and thought Mirena was the answer to my sex drive problems, but things haven't gotten better and my relationship is suffering. Sex happens less than once per week and I'm not even into it when it does happen. :(

It's less likely that it's the Mirena than other factors. Are you on any other medications? Have you been experiencing any symptoms of depression? Have you been stressed out?

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I am not on any other meds and am not depressed. I do have a history of anxiety, but I feel like that is actually pretty good at the moment. Not stressed out, either. I just feel like I've never had a sex drive ever and have always assumed it was the BC pills. I thought it would get better since getting the Mirena, but it hasn't so naturally I thought, "Oh, well, looks like Mirena kills my sex drive, too." Maybe since I've always been like this, though, I should look more at psychological factors than just always assuming it's the birth control. I don't want to derail if this is a psychological issue, I just don't know how to tell which it is. I am thinking maybe I should rule out psychological issues first before assuming it's Mirena. If that doesn't help and everything else is ruled out then maybe I will consider other forms of birth control. I was also hoping to hear if other people had issues with sex drive and Mirena because I didn't think it was supposed to be a common side effect. I guess I just am desperately trying to figure this out.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?

:gonk: How the hell could those even get through a cervix? The neatly folded Paragard hurt bad enough to insert... I can't even imagine. No wonder women's reproductive organs said "gently caress this" after receiving a Dalkon Shield.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
The Paragard must be more flexible than it looks. At lest the Mirena looks umbrella-y.

I'm guessing they dilated the poo poo out of your cervix to get some of those monstrosities in. Gah. An amazing testament to what we will endure to be able to have control over our own reproductive decisions.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

I slightly got the feeling from that series of IUDs of various shapes that the people (I'm guessing men) who designed these things were not entirely at ease with the idea of autonomous contraception, or then, at the very least, went the way of "gently caress it, let's just see what happens". Because holy hell, they must have known that trying to remove something like the Dalkon Shield will hurt the woman more than is necessary. Also, that IUD with the stiff "string" seems like a deliberate evil joke, how can that not hurt either partner?

Shame about the Saf-t-coil, though. That was cute.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

lunarian posted:

I am not on any other meds and am not depressed. I do have a history of anxiety, but I feel like that is actually pretty good at the moment. Not stressed out, either. I just feel like I've never had a sex drive ever and have always assumed it was the BC pills. I thought it would get better since getting the Mirena, but it hasn't so naturally I thought, "Oh, well, looks like Mirena kills my sex drive, too." Maybe since I've always been like this, though, I should look more at psychological factors than just always assuming it's the birth control. I don't want to derail if this is a psychological issue, I just don't know how to tell which it is. I am thinking maybe I should rule out psychological issues first before assuming it's Mirena. If that doesn't help and everything else is ruled out then maybe I will consider other forms of birth control. I was also hoping to hear if other people had issues with sex drive and Mirena because I didn't think it was supposed to be a common side effect. I guess I just am desperately trying to figure this out.

Okay, I just asked because any of those things would be reasonable causes for low libido, and often people forget to mention them when they come in to ask that question. The reason I said Mirena is less likely to kill your libido is just that it's lower hormone by far than any other type of hormonal birth control (Implanon comes close only at the end of its term), and it's only one sort of hormone instead of two. It is possible that it's the Mirena, and it's also possible that you've just got a low sex drive.

Another thing to consider if you do have an anxiety history is this: is it possible that your lack of interest in sex makes you feel bad about yourself which in turn makes you more anxious/less interested in sex? I have had times like that. Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a psychological thing, and it might be good to talk it out with a neutral party since the lack of libido in itself appears to be a big stressor for you. (e: did you look at the depression symptoms? It's possible to just be kinda low level :geno: and not notice except in, say, lack of libido.)

Don't worry about derailing. We have conversations about this issue a lot in here and it's very relevant.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

lunarian posted:

Maybe take penetration off the table for a while? You could be (unconsciously) psyching yourself out about the possibility of pain, therefore becoming anxious during sex. Ruling out penetration as a factor could help you determine whether or not this issue stems from the birth control or if it's psychological. Give it at least a good month (of active sexuality) and see where you're at.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Menschsein posted:

I slightly got the feeling from that series of IUDs of various shapes that the people (I'm guessing men) who designed these things were not entirely at ease with the idea of autonomous contraception, or then, at the very least, went the way of "gently caress it, let's just see what happens". Because holy hell, they must have known that trying to remove something like the Dalkon Shield will hurt the woman more than is necessary. Also, that IUD with the stiff "string" seems like a deliberate evil joke, how can that not hurt either partner?

Shame about the Saf-t-coil, though. That was cute.

My mom had a Cu-7 (copper 7) in the 70's. In the 80's, she had an ectopic pregnancy that very nearly killed her. :( Chances are very good that the Cu-7 is why.

I would say the horrible designs of the old IUD's were probably based more on the horrible ideas doctors and scientists held about women's anatomy. Even now, there are quacks out there with some serious misconceptions about female anatomy and sexuality.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

fork bomb posted:

Maybe take penetration off the table for a while? You could be (unconsciously) psyching yourself out about the possibility of pain, therefore becoming anxious during sex. Ruling out penetration as a factor could help you determine whether or not this issue stems from the birth control or if it's psychological. Give it at least a good month (of active sexuality) and see where you're at.

This is a good idea. I think we may try this. Thank you.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I've been on the same bc (Yasmin and a variety of its generics) for about 6 years and everything's been like clockwork. About two years ago I started skipping placebo weeks with the goal of only having a period once every four packs. My doctor said as I transitioned to just start a placebo week at the first signs of spotting and the time between periods would lengthen over time. This worked fine and I generally go about 3 months between periods.

Then my last period was a bit unusual, I didn't get the usual warning cramping the day before or my one way day of crazy mood swinging. It was maybe a bit heavier than usual but not by much. Typically they last exactly seven days but this one dragged on a bit...and a bit more...and more. It's been going on for a little over three weeks now; the flow is very light at this point and has probably been at this level for the past week but isn't really showing signs of stopping. I've been noticing more tissue(?) than usual as well.

The only thing that's changed recently is that I started working out regularly this summer but it's really not that strenuous or anything. Any ideas what caused this? Or when I should be concerned? (Spoiler: I am already concerned)

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
This is the copper IUD we use in NZ, and I think in Europe as well? The Multiload:

Kind of reminiscent of the Dailkon, but flexible.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
This is the usual one the NHS uses in the UK, I believe (Nova T380):

I had my six-weeks-post-insertion check and all is well, so hopefully things are sorted for another 5 years. The doc casually suggested vasectomy as an alternative if I had found the exchange unbearable and had decided I didn't want to go through another one, which amused me a bit. My boyfriend made almost exactly this face when I got home and told him 'it's all OK but don't worry, the doc says you can always have a vasectomy if I decide I don't want to have a coil any more': :stonk:

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I never had a post insertion check up with my Mirena. I've had it since 2009 and not had any problems. Did I miss some crazy memo?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Robo Kitty posted:

The only thing that's changed recently is that I started working out regularly this summer but it's really not that strenuous or anything. Any ideas what caused this? Or when I should be concerned? (Spoiler: I am already concerned)

My grandmother had similar symptoms before being diagnosed with benign uterine cysts. I'd say it's worth making an appointment with your gyno.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

gogogiraffes posted:

I never had a post insertion check up with my Mirena. I've had it since 2009 and not had any problems. Did I miss some crazy memo?

I think gynos like you to come back in 4 to 6 (or 8 week) to make sure the strings are the same length they were cut at to check for expulsion or other placement problems. Some people get on ultrasound (like Blue Occamy) some just get a physical exam (like me).

I guess your gyno(s) just give it a look see during your yearly and told you to come in if you did start having problems. Had I not been going on vacay, I maybe would have put off my placement check until mid August when I get my yearly.

Katina
May 3, 2009
I just started taking the combined hormone pill (Ovranette - Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, levonorgestrel 150 micrograms) for the very first time last Tuesday (24th) I'd started my period a week prior. Doctor says, as is common practice, that I should be protected 7 days after taking the pill. I also tend to have longer (30-ish days) cycles.

My boyfriend is coming to stay next week and we're planning to stop using condoms on Tuesday (he has been having problems with not really feeling much & I'm also eager to try it) and on paper that all seems fine I think but it just seems crazy that taking these tiny little pills just for a week can stop me from getting pregnant (I don't feel any different, how do I know I'm taking them right, how do I know they're working etc.) I don't have any female friends who are on the pill who I can talk to about this, either, so, I don't know, is it ok to go without condoms on Tuesday?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Katina posted:

I just started taking the combined hormone pill (Ovranette - Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, levonorgestrel 150 micrograms) for the very first time last Tuesday (24th) I'd started my period a week prior. Doctor says, as is common practice, that I should be protected 7 days after taking the pill. I also tend to have longer (30-ish days) cycles.

My boyfriend is coming to stay next week and we're planning to stop using condoms on Tuesday (he has been having problems with not really feeling much & I'm also eager to try it) and on paper that all seems fine I think but it just seems crazy that taking these tiny little pills just for a week can stop me from getting pregnant (I don't feel any different, how do I know I'm taking them right, how do I know they're working etc.) I don't have any female friends who are on the pill who I can talk to about this, either, so, I don't know, is it ok to go without condoms on Tuesday?

If you are taking your pills in order at the same time every day you are taking them right. You won't "feel" any different but in the coming weeks/months you may notice things, such as your period getting lighter or shorter, or if you have any problems with acne, it may get better, etc.

The literature with birth control always says to use it for 7 days before discontinuing condoms and such, but I've had doctors say to go for a month before you do. Maybe you should do that, just for your own peace of mind? It's probably fine to skip the condoms, but do whatever makes you feel best.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Geolicious posted:

I think gynos like you to come back in 4 to 6 (or 8 week) to make sure the strings are the same length they were cut at to check for expulsion or other placement problems. Some people get on ultrasound (like Blue Occamy) some just get a physical exam (like me).

I guess your gyno(s) just give it a look see during your yearly and told you to come in if you did start having problems. Had I not been going on vacay, I maybe would have put off my placement check until mid August when I get my yearly.

You know why. I had it put in in April and my yearly was may, and I put it off until June. But, I got mine put in by Planned Parenthood, not a GP, or normal gyno. I was in college at that point, so normal doctor visits didn't happen.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

RazorBunny posted:

My grandmother had similar symptoms before being diagnosed with benign uterine cysts. I'd say it's worth making an appointment with your gyno.

:wth: Jesus-tapdancing-Christ.

Well, I'm going out of town for a week so I can't do anything about it until after that. I assume this isn't going to make my uterus fall out before then or something.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Robo Kitty posted:

:wth: Jesus-tapdancing-Christ.

Well, I'm going out of town for a week so I can't do anything about it until after that. I assume this isn't going to make my uterus fall out before then or something.

My grandmother waited a couple of years before seeking treatment, and eventually had a hysterectomy, though my understanding is that uterine fibroids are often not a big deal. I wouldn't get super freaked out if I were you, but again, probably worthwhile to see your doctor at next convenience.

I'm not sure what her thought process was in waiting so long. "Hmm, the chunks of flesh that are falling out of my vagina seem to keep getting bigger, but that's normal, right?"

canadiantreefrog
Aug 26, 2006

I've gone through this entire thread and hope I'm not repeating a question. I've been on Micronor for three months because my doctor didn't want to prescribe the regular pill since I only recently (1 year ago) quit smoking and I suffered from migraines accompanied by auras when I was a teenager. I wasn't experiencing any bad side effects until this month. I had my period two weeks ago and have spotted every couple of days since then. Is this normal? Should I switch over to something else? I'm only on this temporarily until I can afford the Mirena. Should I just wait it out until then? Will these side effects eventually go away?

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Help! I messed up my birth control :(

I switched brands of birth control (from Junel to Apri) with a space of a few months in between. I only sort-of kept track of my cycle during this time, and I have now started my pack of Apri what I believe was ~1 week before I was going to menstruate. I am now 11 pills into my pack and I am having awful headaches.

1. Should I just keep taking the rest of my pack normally and see whether I get a period during the placebo pills?
2. What's my pregnancy protection like?
3. Are the headaches likely related to the fact that I am probably suppressing a period?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Help! I messed up my birth control :(

I switched brands of birth control (from Junel to Apri) with a space of a few months in between. I only sort-of kept track of my cycle during this time, and I have now started my pack of Apri what I believe was ~1 week before I was going to menstruate. I am now 11 pills into my pack and I am having awful headaches.

1. Should I just keep taking the rest of my pack normally and see whether I get a period during the placebo pills?
3. Are the headaches likely related to the fact that I am probably suppressing a period?

When I was trying pills out, the hormones made me crazy, and by crazy I mean, my (now husband) then boyfriend, almost had to call the police. Did those change?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Tshirt Ninja posted:

1. Yes, if you wish to remain on birth control.

2. Not great, yet. Wait until you've taken 14 pills (two weeks). Since you didn't start during your period you have to wait longer for it to become effective and to make sure you hadn't already ovulated.

3. No. It's likely unrelated. I suggest drinking more water, that's usually my problem with headaches anyway. Do keep track of them to see if they happen around when you take your pill, or if they only happen on certain days of your packs (once you've been on it long enough to see a pattern), because that would be cause for concern.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

2. Not great, yet. Wait until you've taken 14 pills (two weeks). Since you didn't start during your period you have to wait longer for it to become effective and to make sure you hadn't already ovulated.

Nah, I'd say Tshirt Ninja's fine on this point unless she's missed doses. It takes 7 days to suppress ovulation and any egg that would have been released prior to that is long dead now.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure I ovulated like a week before I started this pack of pills (so 18 days ago), but since then, I have not had a period and my placebo pills aren't coming up for another 10 days. Had I not started back on the pill I would probably be bleeding right about now (beginning 4 days ago) but I'm not. So what happened to that period/egg?

e.

quote:

When I was trying pills out, the hormones made me crazy, and by crazy I mean, my (now husband) then boyfriend, almost had to call the police. Did those change?
No, compared to my mood swings/weight gain on Junel, Apri has been a godsend. Um, why do you ask?

Tshirt Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 1, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tshirt Ninja posted:

So what happened to that period/egg?

You confused it. You may get spotting in the next month, or have a heavier period than usual. Or not. Hormones are voodoo.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Ahahaha, I thought all of my implanon problems were gone. I started yet another period this morning. I'll call the NP tomorrow, and she can try her other method of getting this hormone mess fixed.

It's really a shame that the doctor wasn't able to get my cervix to cooperate for the Mirena. I'd certainly like to think that maybe I wouldn't be having to deal with all this nonsense---It certainly isn't helping my anemic tendencies at all.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

DRP Solved! posted:

Nah, I'd say Tshirt Ninja's fine on this point unless she's missed doses. It takes 7 days to suppress ovulation and any egg that would have been released prior to that is long dead now.

I always err on the side of caution. An extra week isn't that big of a deal.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You confused it. You may get spotting in the next month, or have a heavier period than usual. Or not. Hormones are voodoo.

Yup. Nothing to do but wait and see.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I don't think my insurance covers visits to the witch doctor.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I don't think my insurance covers visits to the witch doctor.

That's a shame. He'd tell you what to do.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You need to purchase the Santeria package.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
So it has been four months since my Implanon has been inserted.

I had a period right away, then no period for 6 weeks, then a normal period every 3 weeks, and now I am having a 2 day period about once every week or two. The irregular bleeding is still a fair tradeoff for the peace of mind. When have you other Implanon users experienced some regularity?

My main problem is this though. For the last couple of days the implant has been itching and driving me insane. It has not moved at all and looks fine, so why the irritation? Anyone have this problem? It hasn't itched for the last four months until now.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I never had any regularity when I was on it for two years. My periods consisted of weeks of spotting. Eventually, I just didn't stop spotting so I had it taken out. The balance between peace of mind and annoyance tipped, you know?

I had periods of time where it'd itch as well. Or I'd be overly aware of it and feel my skin across it. All kinds of weird stuff. It all felt normal (or not panicky) to me and I never had any problems with it. When I got it taken out I missed all the weirdness, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Toot Toot :toot:
http://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2011/08/womensprevention08012011a.html

The main deets:

quote:

On August 1, 2011, HHS adopted additional Guidelines for Women’s Preventive Services – including well-woman visits, support for breastfeeding equipment, contraception, and domestic violence screening and counseling – that will be covered without cost sharing in new health plans starting in August 2012. The guidelines were recommended by the independent Institute of Medicine (IOM) and based on scientific evidence.

Beginning on Aug. 1, about 47 million women will now have guaranteed access to additional preventive services without paying more at the doctor’s office for policies renewing on or after August 1, 2012.

• Locked thread