Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks for this info. I hope the JB updates for the Transformers are pretty close. I have noticed some slowness/stutter on occasion on my TF700 but nothing too annoying. Usually fixed by putting the tablet into "performance" mode.

Yeah, I turned on GPU rendering for apps and it's alleviated some of the jerkiness when switching apps. Live backgrounds seem to really bog it down too. The update can't come fast enough; the screen is gorgeous and everything looks so much nicer on it.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC8132/

gently caress off Australia

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
So I have an N7 which I mainly bought to use as a travel aid and for books etc when I'm abroad. I'm currently sat in Madeira having finished the books I brought with me and thought now would be a good time to buy my first ever eBook since all the shops here are closed on Sunday. Except I can't because books aren't available in this region. How the gently caress does this make any sense? My account is UK-based and has a UK card attached to it. I can't even download stuff that I bought in the UK until I return, it's utterly bonkers. So now my only option as far as I can tell is to pirate some books, unless anyone has a better suggestion? This whole stupid experience is making me think I've bought totally the wrong device for my needs.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Loonytoad Quack posted:

So I have an N7 which I mainly bought to use as a travel aid and for books etc when I'm abroad. I'm currently sat in Madeira having finished the books I brought with me and thought now would be a good time to buy my first ever eBook since all the shops here are closed on Sunday. Except I can't because books aren't available in this region. How the gently caress does this make any sense? My account is UK-based and has a UK card attached to it. I can't even download stuff that I bought in the UK until I return, it's utterly bonkers. So now my only option as far as I can tell is to pirate some books, unless anyone has a better suggestion? This whole stupid experience is making me think I've bought totally the wrong device for my needs.

This is a licensing issue. The solution, if you can call it that, is to use a UK-based proxy.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Tunga posted:

This is a licensing issue. The solution, if you can call it that, is to use a UK-based proxy.

But it makes no sense. I'm from the UK, Google knows I'm from the UK, I have a UK card registered to a UK address which authenticates correctly. This demonstrates to a much loving higher level of accuracy that I am in fact a UK customer who should be served UK content than a stupid geoIP lookup.

I can't think of any way a proxy can help me either, even if I use Chrome and access the web store that way, I can't download anything as the actual Play app won't let me. And obviously being in a hotel I can't go loving around at the network level so no books for me I guess. gently caress licensing and gently caress DRM it's all utter poo poo.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 29, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

That'll be the 16GB version thats $299 from Google. At least judging from the pricing that Mwave, Scorptec, etc are charging. A $20 premium on top of that isn't too bad really, especially when you'll be getting it within a few days at latest compared to shipping times from the US.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Loonytoad Quack posted:

But it makes no sense. I'm from the UK, Google knows I'm from the UK, I have a UK card registered to a UK address which authenticates correctly. This demonstrates to a much loving higher level of accuracy that I am in fact a UK customer who should be served UK content than a stupid geoIP lookup.

I can't think of any way a proxy can help me either, even if I use Chrome and access the web store that way, I can't download anything as the actual Play app won't let me. And obviously being in a hotel I can't go loving around at the network level so no books for me I guess. gently caress licensing and gently caress DRM it's all utter poo poo.

If rights holders say no downloads outside of specified countries then it's not up to Google. I actually have no idea if that is the case here but it's a possibility. Does iTunes handle it differently, for example?

You can set a proxy on the Wi-Fi connection properties and I think Play will use it. Worth a go anyway. Or what about proxy plus web store Play with the remote download option?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Anyone know of a trustworthy proxy I can use to test? And I know it's probably not Google's fault but it's still stupid, does the Kindle do the same?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Anyone know of a trustworthy proxy I can use to test? And I know it's probably not Google's fault but it's still stupid, does the Kindle do the same?
I subscribe to unblock-us.com, they work for everything I need and have nice guides for most devices to aid the set-up. Plus, they offer a 7-day free trial.

Warmly recommended - and great for watching US Netflix worldwide too.

Edit: BBC iPlayer too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I don't know, but you could try downloading the Kindle app and the Nook app and see if either of those will let you download abroad.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know, but you could try downloading the Kindle app and the Nook app and see if either of those will let you download abroad.

Nook for sure won't let you unfortunately unless something has changed in the last 6 month.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nexus 7 cover?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Crowley posted:

I subscribe to unblock-us.com, they work for everything I need and have nice guides for most devices to aid the set-up. Plus, they offer a 7-day free trial.

I'll second them, being able to use the US netflix instead of Canada's is worth the $5/month.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nexus 7 cover?

Seconding this. I am looking at the treegloo case but it's a little pricy.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
I had a Treegloo case ordered up. I picked all the basic options so it only came out to about $34.95

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would love a cover for my N7 that is exactly like HP's touchpad cover. Loved that thing.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

How is the device held into those treegloo cases? Like when you open the cover, does the thing just flop out of the frame?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been eying the Treegloo case, but also DODOcase: http://www.dodocase.com/products/hardcover-for-nexus-7

I like the design, but not a huge fan of the crest inside. Can probably peel it off if it really bothers me so much.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

IT Guy posted:

How is the device held into those treegloo cases? Like when you open the cover, does the thing just flop out of the frame?

Adhesive, like the Dodocase

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

tofes posted:

Wouldn't that ruin the faux leather?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How is the Nexus 7 for productivity work, like, say, a teacher working on student portfolios that could then be synced to the desktop and distributed to parents via Google Docs?

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

tofes posted:

This is incorrect, they use flexible rubber.
https://www.treegloo.com/details

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

How is the Nexus 7 for productivity work, like, say, a teacher working on student portfolios that could then be synced to the desktop and distributed to parents via Google Docs?
I'm not sure what kind of portfolio you mean but tablets generally aren't very good for lots of typing and document creation. External keyboards help, but laptops tend to be better even then because you can use a mouse or touchpad to move around, select, menus etc.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Timby posted:

I don't think 7" tablets are very good for anything productivity related. Editing docs on my N7 was pretty inferior compared to my iPad 2 (mainly because I find landscape mode useless on a 7" when the keyboard takes up half the screen).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Starrett posted:

This is incorrect, they use flexible rubber.
https://www.treegloo.com/details

Oops, my bad

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

I don't think 7" tablets are very good for anything productivity related. Editing docs on my N7 was pretty inferior compared to my iPad 2 (mainly because I find landscape mode useless on a 7" when the keyboard takes up half the screen).

To be honest I find the iPad useless for document editing without an external keyboard too. If you're just adding notes to things, either one works fine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm putting in an order for a replacement n7. If I knew that the screen lifting thing wasn't going to get any worse I would not bother with it, but I like it enough that I want to make sure I've got it long term. Is there any way to back up and restore the thing like on iOS so I don't have enough to reinstall all of my apps and whatnot?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does Android allow you to immediately scroll to the top of a scroll view by tapping somewhere around the top of the screen? iOS allows you to do that by tapping the status bar (the area with the clock, battery gauge, etc...), but it looks like Android doesn't have anything similar.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Crowley posted:

So if I logged into my Netflix account (set up in the UK), I could access US content? That would be... nice.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Karthe posted:

Does Android allow you to immediately scroll to the top of a scroll view by tapping somewhere around the top of the screen? iOS allows you to do that by tapping the status bar (the area with the clock, battery gauge, etc...), but it looks like Android doesn't have anything similar.

Not unless it's built into the app itself.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Rohaq posted:

So if I logged into my Netflix account (set up in the UK), I could access US content? That would be... nice.
i have no idea. I made a US account to begin with, but I can't see why you couldn't make a new account in the US. It works fine with running US Netflix in one browser tab and iPlayer in another and playing them both at the same time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Rohaq posted:

My Canadian Netflix account turns into an American one when I run my VPN. I assume it works the same with every region. You go to an other country, you can use your account to watch their content.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Shadowgate posted:

Try the fix I posted. It seems much better then the screw tightening fix.

Thanks for this. I tried this out and haven't noticed the screen lifting ever since.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Crowley posted:

i have no idea. I made a US account to begin with, but I can't see why you couldn't make a new account in the US. It works fine with running US Netflix in one browser tab and iPlayer in another and playing them both at the same time.
That involves paying another Netflix subscription though, which I'd rather not.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My Canadian Netflix account turns into an American one when I run my VPN. I assume it works the same with every region. You go to an other country, you can use your account to watch their content.
Sweet, I may have to give this a go then. I just hope they don't disable it :ohdear:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Rohaq posted:

Sweet, I may have to give this a go then. I just hope they don't disable it :ohdear:

It won't. I've been using Unblock-us for over a year to get US Netflix on my Canadian account. It just thinks I'm travelling.

powderific posted:

I'm putting in an order for a replacement n7. If I knew that the screen lifting thing wasn't going to get any worse I would not bother with it, but I like it enough that I want to make sure I've got it long term. Is there any way to back up and restore the thing like on iOS so I don't have enough to reinstall all of my apps and whatnot?

This is exactly me as well. The issue is so minor on my device right now that I wouldn't bother if I knew it wouldn't get worse. But it just isn't worth it though to wait and see how things go.

As for backing up, use Titanium backup if you want to backup your apps and data.

Edit: So after trying to call Google for an exchange all day Friday and this morning with no luck and sending two emails with no response, I finally found a different contact method. For anyone looking to setup an exchange, don't even bother contacting the seller number in the Google Wallet transaction. Instead just call this number: 1-855-83-NEXUS

I immediately got a person without waiting on hold and my exchange was processed in less than 5 minutes. The girl was very nice and professional as well.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 30, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just got an email saying the Nexus 7 cover is now up for sale on the Play store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is it only going to be available in dark grey? I think I'll use that $25 credit on the case.

EDIT: VVVVV Uggghhhhh

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 30, 2012

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Is it only going to be available in dark grey? I think I'll use that $25 credit on the case.

I'm pretty sure someone earlier in the thread confirmed that the credit only works on downloadable content and not physical devices. If I'm wrong please let us know so I can do the same.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.

Get an N7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

If you enjoy lousy viewing angles, poo poo battery life, horrible build quality, no warranty or support if it breaks in a week, sure! That's definitely a great tradeoff for $85.