Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

OneStopShop posted:

They probably do, keep it in the car with you just in case.

I've driven around for a year now without my front license plate, and they're required in Minnesota unless you have collector plates. Haven't been bothered about it at all, but I do keep it and its mounting bracket in one of my storage bins for that very reason.

Stealth edit: the engine of my car is sitting on my garage floor. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I went to St. Louis for a concert Friday night, went to park on the curb, and hit the huge dip leading to this drain hole.

Which slid my car INTO the curb, popping a tire.

And hosed up my bumper a bit.

My new car :(

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

I've driven around for a year now without my front license plate, and they're required in Minnesota unless you have collector plates. Haven't been bothered about it at all, but I do keep it and its mounting bracket in one of my storage bins for that very reason.

Stealth edit: the engine of my car is sitting on my garage floor. :v:

Minnesota goon here as well. I went about 6 months without a front plate on my last car, and have yet to put the front plate on my new car, no hassles yet.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I did the front brakes on the Prelude today, as they started grinding this morning as I was leaving for work :gonk: Pulled the right side and sure enough, almost down to the metal backing pad, with the stupid squeak sensor thing rusted in half and broken off. Of course this happens as I'm getting ready to sell it.

Still need to clean it up all pretty before selling, plus I have to get the reg papers in hand for my truck before it goes anywhere so I've got some time on that yet.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Brought my 2012 Ford Focus back to the dealer to look at a TSB issue....welp...With only ~4,800 miles on the clock, it needs a NEW STEERING RACK. Apparently they built a ton of steering racks with internal sensors that were not calibrated correctly which when driving at highway speeds causes the car to slowly wander left or right, even as the steering wheel is being held straight. This leads to almost CONSTANT correcting to stay in a straight line.

Of course the parts are back ordered and the earliest this will be fixed (which will also take 2 days or so) will be the week of August 5th.

gently caress. Glad I bought a new car....

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

OneStopShop posted:

They probably do, keep it in the car with you just in case.

Yeah, I am keeping it in my trunk along with the screws so if worse comes to worse and I get pulled over I could simply offer to put it on right then and there.

Then take it off when I get home. :smug:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Black88GTA posted:

I did the front brakes on the Prelude today, as they started grinding this morning as I was leaving for work :gonk: Pulled the right side and sure enough, almost down to the metal backing pad, with the stupid squeak sensor thing rusted in half and broken off. Of course this happens as I'm getting ready to sell it.

Still need to clean it up all pretty before selling, plus I have to get the reg papers in hand for my truck before it goes anywhere so I've got some time on that yet.

Hang on to the receipt, documented new brakes is at least something nice to put in your ad.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Some Guy From NY posted:

Brought my 2012 Ford Focus back to the dealer to look at a TSB issue....welp...With only ~4,800 miles on the clock, it needs a NEW STEERING RACK. Apparently they built a ton of steering racks with internal sensors that were not calibrated correctly which when driving at highway speeds causes the car to slowly wander left or right, even as the steering wheel is being held straight. This leads to almost CONSTANT correcting to stay in a straight line.

Of course the parts are back ordered and the earliest this will be fixed (which will also take 2 days or so) will be the week of August 5th.

gently caress. Glad I bought a new car....

Oh good ol fomoco...
A friend of mine bought a new '10 or '11 focus. The trans grenaded within 10,000 miles.
Our ford factory tech friend said it was a rare problem, but id be damned if i didnt do like my first friend and sell that car right back to the dealer for a nice Euro-Ford Fiesta instead.

I did a fuel pump on a 2000 Expedition yesterday. Its a known weakness, the vehicle had 170,000 so that isnt that bad.
Dropping the tank wasnt too hard, but i was worried because i didnt know how far the fuel/vac lines would stretch. Crammed my head and one arm between the driveshaft and frame and got those stupid ford spring loaded fuel line clips off with little trouble.
She fired right up when the new one was in, but then i looked in the mirror and saw a coal miner staring back at me. the rubber lines shed this strange black dust, and the frame was understandibly coated with dirt, most of which i cleaned off with my face i guess.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Broke it. :(

about 5.50am on Monday morning on my way to work the heater core feed hose decided to burst, depositing me here in a cloud of steam. I couldn't get at the bastard hose clip at the back of the block with the tools I had in the boot so I called for a rescue to find out my policy expired sometime in January. Then the HATO's arrived and declared I had two hours to get it moved from this "dangerous" position or a) I could pay to have it towed or b) they would have it towed to the impound lot where I could pay towing + storage. :(

Fortunately the hose was the only thing damaged, the engine was only running for about 10 seconds after the hose popped and there was still plenty of coolant left in it. :)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Hang on to the receipt, documented new brakes is at least something nice to put in your ad.

Yeah, whoever gets this one will actually get a (mechanically) pretty decent car (for what I'm expecting to get, at least :( ). Timing belt / water pump / WP tensioner were all done less than 5k ago, it has the Accord alt upgrade, I just replaced all of the little heater hoses near the firewall, exhaust was done ~5k ago, and now new front brakes. Plus a bunch of other little things I'm forgetting.

Only performance mods are poly bushings / sway bar endlinks, suspension kit, the Pacesetter (:lol:) exhaust, and an underdrive crank pulley. Too bad the body is a bit of a mess. Also, automatic.

:siren::siren:OVER $1500 INVESTED :siren::siren: NO TIRE KICKERS OR DREAMERS
WILL CONSIDER TRADE FOR MKIV TT SUPRA, NSX, Z06 VETTE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Put it up on a rack to change an axle seal.

Except it turns out it's my front main seal that took a poo poo. :argh:

It's leaking enough to leave a ~2 inch stain on the ground overnight, but I haven't had to top it off yet - 5 months/2100 miles since my last oil change and it's just a little below the full mark on the dipstick.

A friend of mine has an electric impact wrench, I'll see if I can borrow it from him soon. At least the crank pulley is actually easy to get to, and since it's a southern car, the pulley should come off pretty easily oh god I just jinxed myself didn't I? it's gonna be like minifoo's flywheel now that I said that

Also discovered that the outer boot is torn on one axle. :smithicide: At least everything should come apart easy whenever I eventually get around to that, the front end has been apart twice this year alone..

edit: the gently caress, an OEM Nissan seal is cheaper than aftermarket? :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 26, 2012

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Today was my day off, so what did i do? I went to work.
For my own car though, so that made it worth while.

There she be, 1979 Chrysler Cordoba, 360 A999 column shift. Its a little hopped up with an edelbrock intake/carb and a flowmaster muffler. She'll lay rubber from a stop for 30 yards in 1st. Though i should stop doing that because i need to buy a new BFG R T/A every few months when i play around too much.

Its hard as hell to get parts for this car, nobody gives a poo poo about reproducing parts for a smog dog heavy huge car worth more in scrap than as an automobile.
i dont care, love it anyway.

Today was the 3rd try with a pitman arm. Others fit but had play on the splines up and down even with the nut as tight as can be. I suspect remanufacturing removing small amounts of metal over time. The duralast one fit, so yay autozone!

I bought a strut-rod poly bushing kit that engery said would fit. It looked like it would fit.
It didnt, not perfectly.
God drat, the OEM one had a circular nub that filled the hole in the K frame where the rod went through. As it sits the rod may move around a bit, being held in place by the two poly disks and suspension preload. I only did the one side because i wasnt sure how this would ride, and it was hot, and suspension work in the heat is just awful.
I did the swaybar links in poly also, but the main bushings around the bar itself, again didnt fit!! argh! this is my 2nd time with bushing kits that dont fit the car claiming they will. Wasted time and money.
(removed image-broke tables)
At least these fit ok. Sub frame connectors in poly. OEM was squishy rubber for a soft luxo ride, but really that just meant the entire engine and suspension wasnt anchored to the body very well, way to go Mopar.
Also welded my EGR shut, it had snapped off and was making an annoying puff-huff sound. I mightve missed a spot cuz i still hear it a little, but less for sure.

I am a man who knows my own needs.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Raw_Beef posted:

Today was my day off, so what did i do? I went to work.
For my own car though, so that made it worth while.

I am a man who knows my own needs.

You've got a very clean and composed ride there. It pleases me in odd ways.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Sponge! posted:

You've got a very clean and composed ride there. It pleases me in odd ways.

Thank you. Heres a better shot of her.

Today i had some down time at work so i changed the oil and revisited my quick and dirty welds on the flowmaster. I didnt get a good seal so its all huff-puff instead of that nice flowbie humm.
Thats what i get for trying to do it too fast and using muffler goop. Going to need some serious grinding to get down to a good weldable surface again. Why do i like making things hard?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
C900 came back home because I was sick of the 'new' owners not knowing how to drive it and whining. It had under 100 miles on all good fluid. Said they'd get their money back after I ensured it wasn't destroyed.. gives me a 50% off checkup, at least.

Did cap, rotor, and plugs, because I had already bought them. Car is happy. Even for an '89 with 130k on a 3 speed auto, it is pretty drat aggressive.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Last weekend my brother and I installed my Eibach Pro Kit springs. The car was already "roll it up on phone books" low stock so I didn't want to go any lower than 1.5". After settling out I'm very pleased with how the car sits now! I'm also very happy with how the car feels. My 300zx TT was on KYB AGX struts and Tein springs and it was bone-jarringly harsh.

Also, Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" all wheel cleaner is legit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
e: moved to Saab thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232133&pagenumber=32#post406057532

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 30, 2012

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Replaced the front brake pads and rotors on the F150 today. After that was done I pulled off the upper intake plenum and cleaned out the horribly clogged egr ports, reset the check engine light, and went for a test drive.

Overall, a pretty productive day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Saturday I cleaned the hell out of the Volvo since it's now at 'third car status.' It was pretty disgusting. It was the wife's car and between her and our two kids, and not really cleaning it out properly for three years, it was pretty disgusting.

Sunday I installed my DICE Mediabridge in my E39, so I can play mp3s and bluetooth and stuff. Despite my probably questionable wiring, it worked the first time I fired it up. Now I don't have to listen to cassettes anymore!

edit: added picture, because everybody likes a picture!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 30, 2012

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finally managed to get the fill plugs undone and changed the tranny and diff fluids on my Miata. Everything went smoothly and I feel much better about driving it now, but if there's one thing you don't want to see on the floor once the car is lowered, it's this:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mobby_6kl posted:

Finally managed to get the fill plugs undone and changed the tranny and diff fluids on my Miata. Everything went smoothly and I feel much better about driving it now, but if there's one thing you don't want to see on the floor once the car is lowered, it's this:

Eh, a few oil drips on your driveway don't hurt anything!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raw_Beef posted:

Thank you. Heres a better shot of her.

Today i had some down time at work so i changed the oil and revisited my quick and dirty welds on the flowmaster. I didnt get a good seal so its all huff-puff instead of that nice flowbie humm.
Thats what i get for trying to do it too fast and using muffler goop. Going to need some serious grinding to get down to a good weldable surface again. Why do i like making things hard?

I spotted one on the highway today and thought of you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mobby_6kl posted:

Hook up a shop vac to the oil fill tightly and take out the drain bolt. No oil spilled and it's back on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Boz_ posted:

Last weekend my brother and I installed my Eibach Pro Kit springs. The car was already "roll it up on phone books" low stock so I didn't want to go any lower than 1.5". After settling out I'm very pleased with how the car sits now!

How much of a difference is the ride between stock and the Eibachs? My springs are sagging pretty badly, and Pro Kits are downright affordable for my car (cheaper than some of the stock replacements on Rockauto). They drop it 1.3" in the front, 1" in the back on the Altima.

Been thinking of Pro Kits and some KYB GR-2's to replace the original crap. I just don't want my kidneys falling out every time I hit a bump.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The springs feel completely stock, just lower. The shocks are what will make that setup stiff (assuming they're anywhere near what the AGX line feels like). I used the stock shocks since they're practically brand new but in the past I've used KYB AGX (both MR2's, a 240sx, and the 300zx) and it was bone jarring.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A friend claims the GR-2's are like the AGX on the softest setting - but I've never owned a lowered car before, I just hear AGXs can be pretty painful. I want something firmer than the stock shocks, but I think even some Monroes would be firmer than the 13.5 year old originals with 161k :v:

It's going to be a few months before I have the cash to do this, need to replace 2 tires then address the EGR code that keeps popping up first. Maybe the EVAP code too, though I can squeak through emissions with 1 "not ready" :haw:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

I run GR2s in the rear of my Dobie. its still a pretty squishy ride, but that has more to do with the car weighing 2 tons.

Whats sad is there are no improved shocks for the front other than super exspensive beilsteins, and the front is where i need to stiffen the ride up most.

GnarlyCharlie4u: Awesome! was it in good shape or a total tweaker beater car? Ive had both kinds. The latter is a police magnet.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Raw_Beef posted:

I run GR2s in the rear of my Dobie. its still a pretty squishy ride, but that has more to do with the car weighing 2 tons.

Whats sad is there are no improved shocks for the front other than super spensive beilsteins, and the front is where i need to stiffen the ride up most.

GnarlyCharlie4u: Awesome! was it in good shape or a total tweaker beater car? Ive had both kinds. The latter is a police magnet.

It was somewhere in between. I'll be generous and say it was 'unrestored.'
It WAS awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Skip the Monroes and go for the GR2s. They'll be a more jarring ride than stock but probably a lot better than what you've got now, and certainly better than AGXes.

Tire Rack offers them but I don't know what their pricing is like compared to other places in the US.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Over the weekend:

Out with the new

In with the.... old?

All done

It ran, but poorly. Sounded like it was missing more often than it was hitting. So tonight, I thought I'd pull number one and make sure I had it timed on the compression stroke and not 180deg out, feel for the whoosh. So I pull the plug and- :stare:

Three of them are like this. Small chambers and flat top pistons apparently don't get along with these particular plugs. Apparently the Vortec heads use longer plugs, and I didn't know that so I just re-used the longer ones. Figures.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 1, 2012

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Pulled the carpet/seats on the 1990 Ranger that spent the last 9 years abandoned in a field, pressure washing and shampooing the interior to get it less mouse-smelling and in better shape to sell. I also changed the fuel pump, filter, coil, plugs, wires, distributor cap, PCV valve, and have to order a filler neck tomorrow so I might have it done this weekend.

I picked up a low-ish mile 92 Mercury Capri XR2 engine for my 323 GTX, it was a sweet find since I can recoup a lot of the cost by selling the Capri specific distributor that won't work on the GTX.

Put the Daihatsu Rocky back together temporarily so I can pick up a generator tomorrow, I have a new head for it since I am 90% sure I burned a valve a while ago. Also might need to change a rod bearing, not sure yet.

The 1993 Capri is waiting on a new clutch slave cylinder, it should be here Thursday if I am lucky.

The NSU Prinzes are waiting for me to have any free time at all. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I got sick of my car leaving a 2-3" oil stain every time I parked it.

Off with the crank pulley. I think I found the source of the leak. At least this particular leak.

1 trip to the carwash to spray off all the caked on poo poo from that area, and about 50 miles/an hour and a half of driving later, no sign of the leak returning. Should have cleaned it before I changed the seal, but at least now I'll know if anything else starts pissing oil on that side.

Surprisingly I was able to break the crank pulley bolt loose pretty easily. Parked it in 5th with the parking brake on, put a wrench on it, and whacked the wrench a few times with a sledge.

I did have to giggle when I picked up the seal from the dealer.. car condom anyone?

The only other oil leak I'm aware of at the moment is from the distributor, but even with the leaky front and rear main seals (rear was replaced with the transmission), I've never had to add oil. By the time I hit 5k on an oil change it's right on the add mark, though the front main seal definitely got a shitload worse after the car sat for a couple of months.

Still need to tension one of the belts and reinstall the splash guard, I'm getting a couple of seconds of squealing + alternator light stays on for that time at startup now. I'll tackle that after the sun goes down.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 1, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Pulled the carpet/seats on the 1990 Ranger that spent the last 9 years abandoned in a field, pressure washing and shampooing the interior to get it less mouse-smelling and in better shape to sell. I also changed the fuel pump, filter, coil, plugs, wires, distributor cap, PCV valve, and have to order a filler neck tomorrow so I might have it done this weekend.

I picked up a low-ish mile 92 Mercury Capri XR2 engine for my 323 GTX, it was a sweet find since I can recoup a lot of the cost by selling the Capri specific distributor that won't work on the GTX.

Put the Daihatsu Rocky back together temporarily so I can pick up a generator tomorrow, I have a new head for it since I am 90% sure I burned a valve a while ago. Also might need to change a rod bearing, not sure yet.

The 1993 Capri is waiting on a new clutch slave cylinder, it should be here Thursday if I am lucky.

The NSU Prinzes are waiting for me to have any free time at all. :(

How do you have free time for anything man? I assume you have a regular job that occupies a chunk of your week as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

some texas redneck posted:

Well there's yer problem :haw:

For a second I thought the problem was a missing pulley.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

For a second I thought the problem was a missing pulley.

Fixed. That would certainly be a bit more concerning than an oil leak, wouldn't it? :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

some texas redneck posted:

Fixed. That would certainly be a bit more concerning than an oil leak, wouldn't it? :ohdear:

haha! Yeah my next question was going to be, "how the hell did you get it anywhere?"

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

How do you have free time for anything man? I assume you have a regular job that occupies a chunk of your week as well.

Nope, unemployed. I do resell computer hardware and parts from my NSU collection to pay the bills, I rent a house cheaply from my parents on acreage. I do pretty well with that, honestly. I've been trying to find a decent job around, but being close to Cal Poly SLO means its hard to get any IT or electronics jobs.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 1, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Dropped her off for the "Post Rebuild, Post Break-In Period" final Valve Adjustment, and picked up the horrible "Boat of Car" that is the Loaner Lumina.

It is every bit as terrible as I remember it being from the last time I had to borrow it...

Needed to use the loaner because I want my valve adjustment to be done PROPERLY and PRECISELY damnit!

vis:

Bone.
Cold.
Engine.

I dropped her off right before close, and they just had me pull her right into the service bay and popped the hood so she's all cooled down in the morning...

Yes, I made a TMBG reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUakaF67xc

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sponge! posted:

Yes, I made a TMBG reference...

I caught that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6MqmLjy2GI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

DJ Commie posted:

Nope, unemployed. I do resell computer hardware and parts from my NSU collection to pay the bills, I rent a house cheaply from my parents on acreage. I do pretty well with that, honestly. I've been trying to find a decent job around, but being close to Cal Poly SLO means its hard to get any IT or electronics jobs.

Sponge! feel Gronk pain. Maybe Gronk find poo poo work in "Logistics" like Sponge!?